I'm moving to Lisboa, Portugal in January 2017. Can Portuguese anons give me some advice? Please elaborate on:

I'm moving to Lisboa, Portugal in January 2017. Can Portuguese anons give me some advice? Please elaborate on:

>local manners and customs (are there particular things I should watch out for/absolutely do?) How do I prevent not to come over as rude/a total asshole?

>are the women easy?

>are Portuguese people friendly with foreigners? I'm just a white, catholic Belgian

>How does a night out look like in Portugal? Do you drink a lot? What do you drink?

>do you hold a siesta like Spain does

>at what hour are shops open and when do they close?

>should I support Benifa or Sporting?

Thanks in advance guys!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dtVQJCq2cCM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh yeah and where do I need to go if I want to go out?

hello i'm from lisbon

>local manners and customs (are there particular things I should watch out for/absolutely do?) How do I prevent not to come over as rude/a total asshole?
nothing in particular, just be polite. here's one tip: when you hear people say something very quietly like "com licença", that means "excuse me" and that person needs a little bit of space to move, people will usually say this in the metro
>are the women easy?
depends what kind of women. dumb women yes, smart women no. i'm told they're more picky than in other countries tho.
>are Portuguese people friendly with foreigners? I'm just a white, catholic Belgian
yes
>How does a night out look like in Portugal? Do you drink a lot? What do you drink?
in lisbon we go out for dinner, then bairro alto or cais (two neighborhoods with bars and stuff), then depending on whichever closes first, we go to the other, then its either time to go to bed or we continue at someone's house
no
typically from 9h to 18h
it's spelled "benfica", and really no one cares, but most cab drivers and such are from benfica

Portuguese > English > Belgian (whatever) > Spanish
Just mostly be quiet and keep to yourself. Don't dress like a fag or be a general asshole. Just relax and keep private.
>>are the women easy?
No. Pain in the ass, and very high-maintenance. Especially with foreigners. Try some club-sluts, but those are riddled with disease.
>>are Portuguese people friendly with foreigners? I'm just a white, catholic Belgian
I'd say so, yeah. Lisbon might be the least friendly and more metropolitan, but they are still okay by central Europe standards
>>How does a night out look like in Portugal? Do you drink a lot? What do you drink?
Beer, wine. Wine is more of a meal thing, though. Late nights in Lisbon end early in the bars, and you have to go to the clubs or ome.
>>do you hold a siesta like Spain does
No. Just a long (1 hour) lunch break.
>>at what hour are shops open and when do they close?
9-7
>>should I support Benifa or Sporting?
People won't care. Benfica is the commoner's team, Sporting is the preppier team, Porto is the northern team.
>Thanks in advance guys!
No problemo. There will probably be actual Lisboners here that might help you out further than I did, since I'm not from there.

What will you be doing here, btw?

>Oh yeah and where do I need to go if I want to go out?
already told you the neighborhoods in the previous post
gotta go grab a bite, see you later

>local manners and customs
nah
>are the women easy?
no
>are Portuguese people friendly with foreigners
mostly, there's always assholes everywhere
dunno, haven't been out in years
no
don't remember
you should not care
>where do I need to go if I want to go out?
Beats me

Bravo you idiot you've just choose worst city in poortugal.

Thanks.

Regarding the mentality you are both more or less saying that Portuguese people are polite and keep to themselves. At least a first commonality with Flemish people ;)

I'm going to study there for one semester btw. That's why I'm asking questions about women and nightlife.

I did not have a say in this. Uni picked something for me. Anyway, I'm glad I'm heading to a southern yuro urban centre, and not some meme university in the Spanish, Turkish or Bulgarian countryside

Then you won't have problems with rent since you're still getting Belgian cash. Lisbon has become expensive these past two years.

Eh, Lisbon's a bit dirty and metropolitan, and not particularly Portuguese-feeling anymore, since it's too urban a spot. There's not as much quiet and friendly and safe atmosfere as the rest, but it's still pretty good, I'd say. Lisbon still has some nice things to see, though, but do visit some towns when/if you have the chance.

Which uni/degree?

>moving TO portugal

i would like to visit portugal one day

kek

Ah well, I guess every capital city is quite different from the rest of the country.
I'm an econ fag

>Portuguese > English > Belgian (whatever) > Spanish
you say that but older people dont speak english even in services and i had to keep using spanish words to communicate

CHI

>econ
Ah, so I don't know enough to speak of the Uni's. Have fun

We don't mind that, just don't open with Spanish and it should be fine. Shit like "gracias" will get you the wrong directions to where you need to go, for example.

im actually portuguese american lol,took spanish in school

CA

>Shit like "gracias" will get you the wrong directions to where you need to go, for example.
french ppl kept asking me for directions and even though i was speaking perfect english they kept saying muchos gracias at the end

also your cities are colonized by french in the summer its crazy

hi i am from somalia
i want to move to portugal

go away then

wow rude i just want love and affection like everyone else

>also your cities are colonized by french in the summer its crazy
Those are probably French-diaspora-fags. We fucking hate those. They pretend not to speak Portuguese out of superiority and think they are better than everyone else with their rented cars pretending they are theirs, but they go back to back to their shoebox apartment in France the rest of the year to talk shit about "muh heritage" when they are there.

I don't know why France makes Portuguese people huge cunts, but it seems to be the only place.

Take a right at Gibraltar.

oh yeah some people go to the clubs, not me though, i think it's a waste of money
tons of chicks there tho

1) Attack a vessel of ours in the Gulf of Aden
2) drop your weapon immediately and let the navy arrest you for piracy
3) spend some years in a comfy Belgian prison
4) get out and apply for Belgian citizenship

Nothing is rude.

>are the women easy?
They are normal, way too bossy and not worth the hassle.

>are Portuguese people friendly with foreigners? I'm just a white, catholic Belgian.
Yes they are, over-friendly even.

Depends on the place, you can find anything if you look for it.

No, and neither does Spain actually.

Sheeit, maybe 8-20?

Neither, F.C.Porto.

thanks belgium
knew i could count on you

>At least a first commonality with Flemish people ;)
oh so you're flemish
i know a ton of flemish people
you're very nice
yes you will adapt easy just mind the language of course, not everyone will know english, particularly old poorer people

>i know a ton of flemish people

How?

1 more thing i noticed about lisbon i had a kebab right here and i think this place might be owned by radical muslims it was shady as fuck some imam came in and when i asked for a sagres the guy got mad at me

Palácio do Kebab?

i cant remember the name, not 100% sure if i got the road right but if you walk all the way down there is this bench area that africans are always sitting on and gypsies are always there too

i got kebab at other places too and they seemed normal to me, this one just gave me the creeps

>kebab stores owned by radical muslims

Really the last place I would go to. I have had my share of radical islam here

i'm from lisbon

just don't speak spanish

>are the women easy?
if you're blond and say you're from belgium it might be easier, but portuguese women are shit tier
yes, jusst don't speak spanish
it's pretty cool, you have Santos, Bairro Alto, ask more if you're interested
in the summer you're going to experience what's like to have to do something after lunch and 33ºC
in the big shopping centers they're open until late afternoon/early night, normal street shops close late afternoon, downtown lisbon you can still see some open at night
Sporting Clube de Portugal ofc

You should go eat kebab.. It's delicious. It was the gift that we got with the middle easterners. Kebab is there to balance the bad things that terrorists do

what's wrong with speaking Spanish? are you saying they'd rather you not speak Portuguese and speak English than speak Spanish?

I'm not from Lisbon but can give some ideas

Just be normally polite and people will be polite to you. Bom dia (good morning) Boa tarde (good afternoon) and boa noite (good evening) can be apreciated in the local typical stores and cafés. Lisbon has a lot to see, the city itself and nearby like Cascais, Serra da arrábida, Sintra etc. Don't forget to visit the "costa Vicentina" and some places in the north too.

>are the women easy?
Not much. You have to talk a bit and she has to trust you to something to happen. But you find easy ones in the clubs and pubs too

Yes, specially if you try some word in portuguese they will find funny. Portuguese people are catholic in general but not crazy about religion, most of the people don't even go to church. Everything is very chilled

It's late and you go out for some drinks in the streets near the pubs and then have the choice to go to the nightclub or someone's house or go home

No, only farmers that wake up at 6h00. You will not find them in Lisbon

9h-18h or 19h shopping centers are open until 21h or 22h I think

Neither, Porto! But ok Benfica is more the team of the people and sporting the team of the rich but almost doesn't exist anymore. Sporting has the qt girls though.

Yes. Spanish words only if extremely necessary and as a last resort. Unless it's an actual Spaniard, we don't mind them speaking Spanish as much, since they usually don't know much else, and they know Portugal is it's own thing. We just don't like other countries assuming we are Spanish, is the thing.

A bunch of people I know always give directions wrong if they try to use Spanish words, I'm not even joking.

yes

>A bunch of people I know always give directions wrong if they try to use Spanish words
kek

>it's pretty cool, you have Santos, Bairro Alto, ask more if you're interested

Yes please, what bars and clubs are cool?
Is it acceptable to get totally shitfaced? (in Flanders it absolutely is, but in France for instance people will get mad)

Thanks! How does Sporting not exist anymore? They're facing Real tomorrow

life
also one of them lives here

yes
we're not spanish, we're portuguese

The preppy connotation doesn't exist with Sporting anymore. Sporting still exists, but every club's fanbase is full of idiots so it's leveled out.

I forgot to write a word. I wanted to say the gap between benfica being the team of the people and sporting the team of the wealthier doesn't exist anymore or at leat not so visible.

dodgy portugese places thread? dodgy portugese places thread.

i got attacked here by some colonynigger, he looked angolan. he and his friend were too skinny to do anything though and i got away.

>Is it acceptable to get totally shitfaced?
what does this mean?
>Yes please, what bars and clubs are cool?
just anything in bairro alto, triplex is nice because you by a triple shot that gets you easy drunk for like 1 euro
if you drink like 4 or 5 of them you'll be fine and drunk for the rest of the night
also there's another place in bairro alto i forgot the name where you buy 50 cl of beer for 1,50

>fucking algarve
>vilamoura of all places
there's your problem right there

same thing though, right?

just like you being persian

Quarteria

Vilamoura is fine.

yes, if you check google maps for "jardim dos santos" all that area around is full of bars and people that just drink on the street, there's clubs nearby too like MAIN and Urban (it's close to the metro station Cais do sodré so it's popular), bairro alto is the same it's small streets with bars where people hangout (sucks if you live next to there).

I lived in belgium (french part) so I don't know if it's the same but give girls 2 kisses on the cheeks and handshake to guys (no 1 kiss to girls nor guys like belgians do)

are you coming for erasmus?

quarteira is vilamoura tho

just because I'm feeling nice today

it is but it also has its "town" or centre called Quarteria, which is a shithole.

>what does this mean?
Flemish student really drink a lot, especially if they're young (18-20) and éspecially if they're fratboys.
That's one thing I forgot to ask: are there fraternities in Portugal? How are they like?

>just anything in bairro alto, triplex is nice because you by a triple shot that gets you easy drunk for like 1 euro

That sounds cool. I'll keep it in mind, thanks

Where in the country do you have to go do get that authentic Portugal feeling?

why would you even go there, vilamoura in general sucks

all over the place imo

it doesn't though, it's beautiful. lots of things to do and very few chavs.

ideal for a relaxing holiday in the sun with boats, golf and good food. i had to stay in Quarteria cause VM is too expensive, my parents stay in a hotel on the marina every summer.

depends, you can visit different villages in Alentejo and then go to the north and then go downtown lisbon, you'll get different feelings from each destination but each can be identified as "authentic"

Like, immediately?
Nazaré in the winter. youtube.com/watch?v=dtVQJCq2cCM

Every smaller town should also have an authentic feeling of Portugal, if localized. It's a very varied country, despite being tiny.

yes its fine to get completely drunk just don't be annoying to other people. as long as you're with your own group and act minimally careful, you'll be fine
>fraternities
i only know two in lisbon, both from the ist, which is basically an engineering school, all kinds of engineering taught there. so at those fraternities only the smartest get a room, so they're usually a bit nerdy, but nice folks. but definitely not your "lets get drunk XD" type

Yes, I will be an exchange student

Thanks for the advice!

Where did you live in Wallonia? And kek, normally Wallonian guys kiss each other on the cheek when they meet, just like the French do. Wallonia and Flanders are kinda different

lagos is better imo. more peaceful and quiet. vilamoura gets filled with camones in the summer

flemish people don't do that, only gay walloons
seriously only really gay people do that. i met one walloon and he was normal, he didn't do that

>guys kiss each other on the cheek when they meet
I got family in Brussels and they do this.
I must say I'm not a fan of it.

It's something typically French. So most Walloons do it, and in Flanders the people that want to come over as "bon chique bon genre" (aka faggots). Flemish men just shake hands

yes in Mons, I guess it's the italo-french influence, i miss the beer tho loved chimay and duvel

well do you have any more questions? I can tell you about public transportation, restaurants or anything really

I lived there.... they all did it

I live in Lisbon (Oeiras)

Just be nice to everyone and everyone should be nice to you, we'll understand if you're foreign. Just don't speak Spanish.

>are the women easy?
No, but here in Lisbon the girls are mostly shit anyways.

Yup, we like to help and most people speak English here, so if you need directions or anything like that, just ask someone around you.

I drink by myself in my house, but there is a lot of night activity in downtown Lisbon

Only in Alentejo

They are open from 8-10h to 18-23h

No one cares desu

wow that's horrible

In the second semester Universities all over portugal have this thing called Academic week. Which is codeword for lets drink till we drop
It's like a festival. It is said that coimbra' during its academic week is the place in europe with the highest consumption of beer. Since Lisbon is a big city with several universities it will be absolute bonkers as well.

>I drink by myself in my house

Go to a fado bar in Lisbon during a cold winter night, drink some wine and listen to some fado.

oh yeah i forgot about that, you're absolutely right
OP you HAVE to go to the academic week in coimbra, seriously it's that fucking good

>From Lisbon
>States his neighbourhood
REEEE nobody fucking gives a shit

>Alentejo
>sesta
No they fucking don't, you metropolitan cunt.

pic

How rude

oeiras não é em lisboa, é ao pé, daí que ele diga
é como dizer que és da maia
burro

É tudo Lisboa. Nunca vês ninguém a dizer que é de Santa Clara. São de Coimbra como os outros.

Só os lisboetas é que fazem isto.

Eu também sou de Oeiras e não me considero lisboeta

Isto.
Bom saber que há autistas perto de mim.

That'd be very kind. What are your top-tier places to eat out? Or to which special (not really touristy) places do Portuguese people go?

In what neighbourhood should I get my room? My faculty (Nova School of Business) is just north of Miradouro do Parque Eduardo VII. I don't want to commute too long, but I also want to be near all the cool spots

rude

delete this please.

eu ouço as pessoas dizer que são de santa clara
ou que são de arouca
ou que são de silvares em vez de dizer fundão
ou que são de anadia em vez de dizer aveiro
ou sei lá

ganha juízo

Pvrtugalia has top tier food, but it's a bit expensive.

>Lisbon

Welcome to the greatest caliphate on Earth
Be sure to attend the mosque at praying hours

oh my cousin goes there, that's cool. it's a very nice university. you should get a house near s. sebastião because then you'll have great transportation, be next to the uni, be next to a big mall so no shortage of stuff for the house
try in the avenues near av. duque de ávila because it's cheaper there, my flemish friend when she was here had a house there

special places to go... it's annoying how i can't think of anything right now but there are a lot of places like this

Have you ever travelled north of the Pyrenees?

see

well you should find a room next to the blue metro line or red, if you don't mind walking a bit yellow line also is ok, next to you in São Sebastião station there's a big mall (El corte ingles), to eat you should go downtown lisbon to alfama at night ask if they have live fado (most of them have) and you're set, if you like sushi there's a restaurant that is considered one of the best outside japan but it's on the other side of the river called sushic, there also one next to baixa-chiado station

Be sure you don't miss the actual good part of the city.

Yes.
I don't think that the immigration problem is that bad. They usually stay at big urban centres and they seem to stay in their own kebab-shops and so on

>sushic
por acaso achei meh

dude paris is fucking unlivable and brussels is even worse

Also, don't forget to pay your respects to the great Abu al-Qasim Ahmad ibn al-Husayn ibn Qasi
You can find him in Mértola and he was a great man, proud warrior of the warm desert sand

Okay
So if I got this right the student part of the city is Saldanha, while Santos and Bairro Alto just have bars. Better not get a room there then?

yes, you couldn't get one there anyway even if you tried tho

yep, don't go there unless you don't value sleep and sanity at night, there's also a lot of student houses in Rato and campo pequeno and quinta das conchas