I absolutely LOVE my new linux setup. I am truly grateful that you people showed me the beautiful light of linux...

I absolutely LOVE my new linux setup. I am truly grateful that you people showed me the beautiful light of linux. (Still fixing and setting things up though)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm on weston myself.

>GNOME

>DE
why

No. I'm using LXDE. I use a desktop environment because I wanted to. A light DE at that.

I must say, the interface doesn't look very usable.
>taskbar on left
>clear topbar???
>generic flat color theme
>dpi in the ass so the borders are huge as fuck
>having icons on the desktop
>using a rpi as a desktop??
Not trying to shit on your setup, but it's shit

coolio

welcome to the rabbithole.

kek

That's a nice looking LXDE but why not drop GTK/Gnome AIDS and use LXQt?

breeze icons are best desu

>retard
there's nothing wrong with lxde using gtk

It will eventually when they port it to GTK 4 and it is shoved down to everyone, just like GTK 3 was, with unfinished and unstable APIs fucking everything up

so? use the gtk2

GTK 2 won't be maintained forever senpai

yes the raspberry pi is a great way to learn. try getting the pihole software up and running OP. also breif yourself with the basics here:

youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak

i really doubt gtk2 anything is going anywhere in the next 10 years

>bleachbit

>taskbar on left
The only thing equally good would be taskbar on the right. Where the hell else would you put it?

Am I overly sensitive, or is there something off with that font rendering?

Amateur. You're supposed to use neofetch and show off your anime wallpaper.

>1366х768
>2018

..nah.

But GTK4 is going to be so amazing, even better than propietary Qt

That sidebar is a total eyesore

ricing a pi
but why?

This, why the fuck would you do that?

Looks good, OP.
Welcome to the club.

I'm dreading GTK4. I like my desktop to look a very specific way, and so I've had to maintain my own GTK theme. Changes to GTK3 have meant I've had to completely rewrite it about three times, and spend many hours fixing it relying on guesswork half of the time because the documentation is so utterly shit. I wish I didn't have to use any GTK software, and I wish everyone would just use Qt. Fuck gnome, fuck GTK

And what theme is that? put a link, I bet you are just incompetent or a lier.

>i absolutely love *insert anything here*

You need go back to /r/plebbit

>Uses OS based on Gentoo
retard

Install LXQt.

That looks pretty comfy actually, congratulations OP.

(You)

Osx lion wallpaper

> These huge headers.

LxQt in older distros (Debian Stretch, etc.) is garbage. It's not until recent releases that it got gud.

might start using linux

how bigs the learning curve for a windows user with absolutely no coding experience

hard at first but if you learn basic unix commands it gets addicting, then you start accelerating up the learning curve. I've been using Ubuntu / Debian for everthing for the last 6 months that isn't games. Way better OS for a student like me.

So much truth it hurt

>been using gentoo for 5 years
>haven't even booted windows in half that time
>will continue to use gentoo for the foreseeable future
Feels good to not be retarded.

Only truth

samefag

prove it, bitch

:3 hlwm is goat

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>shoved down to everyone
That's how open source works. Users and devs work together to test new software and fix those bugs. I still have the GTK2 libraries on my machine.

>>taskbar on left
>>clear topbar???
Autohide everything, who gives a fuck where it is when you aren't using it?

this 100%

so i should use ubuntu?

This looks amazing user cheers!

saved

Truth. Windows is dying anyways. They won't come right out and admit it, but all of this warming up to Linux, and open sourcing things, is an admission that they've had their asses whooped in the world of servers. So it's either cooperate, or die like a stubborn mule. Desktops are not the cash cow they once were, either.

thanks m8!

200%.
I've even gone too far with LFS, and still, I was distohopping.
I guess, fuck this shit, I'd better install Botnet 10 and forget about fucking freedom.

300% take it or leave it.

This 400%

Why don't you idiots just dualboot or run VM's? It's 2018 ffs you can have all 3 fucking OS's if you want and use the all for different things

best I can do is 500%

for me it was, only laptop first (student)
>windows
>ubuntu
>debian
>fedora
>arch (laptop) + arch (server)
>windows (desktop) + arch (laptop) + arch (server) + openbsd (server)
pretty comfy right.
just ssh into loonix to code, bsd is for network security.
working from home

What is the name of the font?

kakwafont :D

This is sexy, but bloated.
100 MiB is a limit for system in idle.

I have fucking 128 GiB SSD, not enough space for bloatware.

How poor are you?

according to whomst've?

Thanks.

So poor, that I have macbook air.
I'd better bought a 300$ shitbook with HDD and 3 kgs of pure metal

so you intentionally bought a computer with so little hard drive space you have to mete your hard drive space out like rations in stalingrad even though you spent a lot of money? You sound very smart congratulations.

GiB? They're all in GB, dumbass.

128GB = roughly 120GiB

Okay, 121332826112 Bytes to be exact

This, I went back for muh gaymes but really missed linux

Compare Debian vs Gentoo

What are pros/cons?

Arch already killed Python 3 and very few things in the main repo require gtk2 anymore. I'd give it five years tops. It's also not capable of being DPI scaled.

pacman -Qi python
Name : python
Version : 3.6.4-2

>gtk2 2.24.32-1
>Required By (263)

My blazing fast battlerig right here.