I want to teach scientists how to use Linux

I want to teach scientists how to use Linux.
What topics should I include in my course?
Should I use Ubuntu Server or Ubuntu Desktop?

gen2

GNU/Parallel

Don't be retarded. These people don't know what bash is.

$ parallel
Academic tradition requires you to cite works you base your article on.
When using programs that use GNU Parallel to process data for publication
please cite:

O. Tange (2011): GNU Parallel - The Command-Line Power Tool,
;login: The USENIX Magazine, February 2011:42-47.

This helps funding further development; AND IT WON'T COST YOU A CENT.
If you pay 10000 EUR you should feel free to use GNU Parallel without citing.

The project page claims its GPL3 then in program output they put this additional restriction.

For me GNU xargs' -P option replaced GNU parallel.

Let me tell you, physicist use bash. In fact they use too much of it.

These are not physicists.
They are biologists.

>biologists

Kek, you might want to make sure they know how to use the email first.

I know man, I know.

If they are doing real science work,debian or RHEL/CentOS as that's what they'll likely work with in the real world.

It says "please" and it's GPL3, so it's them asking nicely, not forcing you.

>If you pay 10000 EUR you should feel free to use GNU Parallel without citing.
Doesn't this imply that if you don't pay you shouldn't feel free to use it without citing? Otherwise it's pretty silly.
>If you pay 10000 EUR you should feel free to use GNU Parallel without citing.
>If you don't pay, you can use it anyway without citing, it's GPL. But you should feel bad.

Since it's GPL, nothing stops you from forking and removing the lament. As long as it stays GPL.

make them learn C, Python and LaTeX. Maybe also R. Insist on them using the terminal from time to time.

Are you dense? It's a cpurse for noobs. They won't learn shit if you give them everything. They will learn how to run make and run a fucking loop in bash.

Physicists are taught most of those thigs in their first year of undergrad.

Any fun gnu parallel tutorials?

Is there a term for this? where one color in certain lighting will look identical to another color in different lighting?

desktop

force them to install gentoo

we don't need your bullshit, OP

thanks anyway

go focus on your women in tech or something

It's not legally binding.

Go with Slackware, if you go through that with them, they will come out as, at least, intermediate users who have a good understanding of Linux. Later, if they choose to go on to something else, literally nothing will be a problem. It will be arduous to do that, tho, but if you want to teach them, that would be the way, instead of starting out with easy things like Ubuntu, or autistic things like Gentoo. Slackware is a good representative of all Linux systems, but what you find on Gentoo can't be found on that many other distros, so they would have to re-learn them

I have never saw slack in any lab or server room. Never.

Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, OpenSuse
in that order

Nobody said anything about continuing to use it. And nobody cares what you did or did not see. I said it would be good to learn on it, because of its bare-bone nature.

They need to go back to their fucking lab and stop sending us questions. Bare bones distro is retarded. They need to learn that package manager can fix most of their problems.

Which Slackware has multiple of, with or without dep. resolution. So what is your point? You can cover everything on Slackware, instead of covering every thing on a different distro

now that's stupid

Or maybe i misunderstood you... i thought you said "learn" Linux, and not "play" with linux, which Arch, Gentoo, Debian and other easy distos are

My point is that ubuntu just werks.

Why exactly? Those are scientists we are talking about, not kiddie ricers and wannabe haxxors, so you cant sell them autism like Arch or Gentoo... if the purpose is to >>learn

I play with these distros since 2006 and all my scientific software run on these servers. Take your subjective opinions where they belong to.

Slackware also just werks better than Ubuntu, is more stable and is source based, but the point is that Ubuntu comes premade, and you will be hard pressed to teach anyone anything becuase it all comes preconfigured to just werk.

Or you can teach them practically, by actually doing/showing things to them

>then Slackware is a good platform to do so

Slack
>no community
>no help on first page of google

Ubuntu
>AskUbuntu/stackoverflow/superuser
>type 'error'+ubuntu in google
>winning

>implying they could not work anywhere else

Also i think you are missing the point when it comes to "learning" linux, contra to just using it.

bash, unironically.
Teach them basic commands, aliases, scripting, user privileges, the basics.
Bash, and the command line in Linux in general are great tools, you should make sure they understand that. If you succeed, they'll do the rest for you.

Ask them to give you examples of what they need to do with computers and show them ways they can automate those, saving time and shiet.
Also, severely discourage mouse usage, tell them about keyboard shortcuts, and why they should use them.
Oh yeah, talk about midnight commander as well. Godspeed.

So someone who wants to teach other people needs help from google instead of knowing it... looks like someone else might need to learn Linux here

They need to learn how to write scripts, set up ssh access,compile their scientific software and run that shit.
No need to understand the 'philosophy of linux'.
That's why you retards lose do Windows every year. You don't understand normies.

Autism

>tell them about keyboard shortcuts, and why they should use them.
It's still faster to use mouse to copy shit in X than to copy shit in screen using keyboard or gpm.

>They need to learn how to write scripts, set up ssh access,compile their scientific software and run that shit.

SlackBuilds are bash scripts.
Slackware relies on compiling your own software
Setting up everything is a part of Slackware.

You literally just proved my point

How do I search for filename inside of a folder in mc? Filter option doesn't work as expected.

ctrl + shift + c
ctrl + shift + v

ctrl + s + [start typing]

>SlackBuilds
Never heard of them.
How obscure of a solution is this?

How do you select text above your cursor from history without keyboard?
It's ctrl+a+esc in screen but this only allows you to scroll the terminal back.

Ah, a common trend to diss something you have no knowledge of, a trait of most stupid people. Slackbuilds are >>just

SlackBuilds are scripts to help ease compiling of software, they are scripts that convert source code into packages, literally using make or if a script for installation is already provided, using that.

They aren't obscure at all, since everything on Slackware is installed using them, you can make your own, download them from SlackBuilds, whatever. It is just compiling from source using a script instead of manually doing everything from a terminal

Dunno, actually, never even tried to do that.

Quoted from the slackware wiki:

"SlackBuild scripts are simple shell scripts which can automate the compiling and packaging of a program from source.

While not necessary to compile and create packages on Slackware, SlackBuilds serve as tools for scripting the compiling and packaging processes, which are often repetitive. Just as importantly, SlackBuilds also act as documentation of compile-time options and configurations for that particular package. For that reason, official Slackware packages come with SlackBuilds bundled with the source code, and the inclusion of a SlackBuild is desirable in third-party packages. "

>Highlight the text you want to copy
>Go to where you want to paste it
>Middle click

>Middle click
No mouse mate

>without keyboard?
>No mouse

Why do I get so heated when cropping out a dress from a little girl?

In art it's just called color theory

I almost forgot about the dress. Thank you.

Parallel Programming

Test Automation

Artificial Intelligence Algorithms With Data Structures

Neural Networks

Desktop. Why would you use server? It's basically just desktop without an x environment.
If you want to restrict them to terminal so their intuition doesn't mislead them that's something maybe.

>Gentoo is autistic but Slackware isn't
Are you autistic yourself?

> using Ubuntu
Wow you must know nothing about Linux

Doc, I don't think this is my usual dose

Definitely use Ubuntu Desktop
R , Blender , Gnuplots , LibreOffice, OpenSCAD , + a programming language would be a nice course
if you want to go more proprietary consider Matlab ( it has a lunix version [ it is java crap anyway ] ) , Mathematica ( also has a lunix version ) and Mendeley ( also lunix version )

What kind of scientists?

I'm a biomedical scientist working in a hospital in the UK, MSc in Clinical virology. Because I'm quite young compared to most of my lab (29) I'm the 'It guy'- and literally everyone I work with is a fucking retard when it comes to computers.

I get asked how to

-open documents from USB sticks
-connect printers and installed drivers
-install software

Simple things, but people assume I'm some kind of savant just because I can fucking google. Trying to teach any of the 40+ year old people I work with how to use a bash shell would be like swimming through molasses. I pity you.

Also, teach them on Debian.

Oh you're fucked then. But now your topic makes sense, as physicists generally now how to use linux.

You do realize the colours are being changed objectively?

They're not though. If you open it up and eyedropper it you'll find the RGB values for similar areas of the dress in the lighted and shaded portions are the same.

Sure thing carlos.
I have 2 work days to turn these retards into linux gurus.
Think smaller.

>the solution to the blue dress yellow dress fiasco wasn't a meme.
>wtf.exe

>paint.net