/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for GNU/Linux.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery
- Smaller attack surface

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>GNU GuixSD
gnu.org/software/guix/

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Slackware
slackware.com/getslack/

>CRUX
crux .nu/
crux .nu/Main/Handbook3-3

>Source Mage
sourcemage.org/Intro

>Devuan (Stable is horribly outdated, so be sure to switch to a newer branch. There's also Debian if you want Poetteringd)
devuan.org/
devuan.org/os/releases
devuan.org/os/etc/apt/sources.list
wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/upgrade-to-ascii

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

>Pastebins
Alternative to Bloatware v1.2 pastebin.com/9NtiV5MB
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/4zMb3bRV
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Simplicity
superuser.com/questions/389621/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IRC: rizon #Sup Forumsminimal

WM ram comparison

why is BL purest L?

Why did this turn into gay shit?

Because I love you!

This is my actual kernel sound config:

pastebin.com/4zMb3bRV

Yay for CRUX making it back!

Ok.

install gentoo

How much does bspwm use?

Someone said 1.1M for bspwm alone. That would not include the keybinding daemon, so the actual number would be higher.

Alright, thanks user

no its on efnet

There's two. most active one right now is rizon #Sup Forumsminimal. The other is efnet #glmg

user count != activity
both are dead

the biggest ram user is the x server tho and the usage grows when the server has been running for a while.

This. X is huge

How do i install GuixSD

Wayland?

> How much does bspwm use?
2.3M bspwm, ~800K+~2M SXHKD

~5M
But it's one of the most UNIX-way/minimal WM's, so don't mind about RAM usage.

sxhkd*

tfw no sway in the CRUX ports

Mumble is the superior voice chatting software. /minimal/.

You should add Arch Linux to the list.
>>> wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Simplicity

Simple != Minimal
It was on that list, but we have removed it

setup -> display options -> hide userland process threads
you're welcome
you should fuck off, arch is just broken

"Why no Arch or Debian?":

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution.
Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible.
Arch has *never* been minimalist... it has nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages.
It also uses systemd, which is incredibly bloat.
Despite its "minimal" install state, Arch is far from being as minimal as the other distros here.

Previously, Debian was included in the list due to it being one of the most /minimal/ systemd options.
After discussions in a few older threads, we decided it would be a good idea to take out Debian, replacing it with Devuan. This means that there are no systemd distros in the list now.

hey guys how do I do a minimal system that lets me switch between gnome and kde?

first, GNOME and KDE are not /minimal/ especially GNOME.
second, if you wish to do that for some reason, install GNOME, install KDE, and then you can pick which one to load from the display manager (login screen) assuming you have one, or just edit your .xinitrc to start the one you want.

It was always homo fag.

Just contribute a port, it's dead simple.

be nice ok?

This thread is 90% meme terminal inepts who can just follow guides blindly, ending up mounting backwards and doing simiar abominations. As such, they say arch is bloated without giving you reasons besides incorrect pastas. Even the OP is just a meme, degenerated person (needs to be reported, it disgusts me) who uses a fkin Mac and has no clue of any distro in the list, let alone void, made by and for degenerate pony lovers like him.

>"minimal" install

Devuan/debian install is bloated as fuck. apt is bloated as fuck e.g. Installing xorg with --no-install-recommends still pulls in a bullshit amount of stuff. In arch dependencies are more optional, and pacman allows you to be way more minimal and polished than memept.

>nearly all optional features enabled

specify, and argument on how is different from other pre-compiled distros because it smells bullshit from far away. Not to mention you can recompile the kernel how you want and compile each package from source, enabling all the features you want by writing your own PKGBUILD, bulding it with makepkg and installing with pacman -U

>b-but you can do it in devuan...

not in such a polished way, arch was always meant to be customizable and minimal, the only mistake is systemd, which is spread all over the gnu/linux anyway. Debian is made to be the linux standard for stability and the best compromise beetween no hassle ease to use and customization. Two different things.

>Use devuan, it's like debian without sysyemd! Wait a second, it is actually outdated as fuck and cannot ever be maintaned as well as debian or arch, so please consider installing debian. Sorry I had to make this note so anons do not bother me anymore. I assume they are retards and will fall for this.

Nice way to put it to not include debian, but include it anyway. If you weren't so biased you would have included Artix (meme systemdless arch fork, the same as devuan) but you didn't.

what about dnf/ zypper

>arch was always meant to be customizable and minimal
Bullshit, arch linux put in systemd to make it easier for the developers, not the users. As for the general putting in shotas for the OP is really starting to get old and tiring.

>putting in shotas for the OP is really starting to get old and tiring.
i-i can't help it ok >_

>debian implements it too and is considered /minimal/ systemd distro in the op, while arch is not
your argument is invalid

I didn't make the OP so my argument is still valid

The only thing that should be in OP is LFS

there was another, non-degenerate op who agreed to put both arch and debian or remove them both, I hope we can get rid of this mentally bugged perv.

the argument was arch is more minimal than debian, if you use systemd to disprove it's invalid.

>put both arch and debian or remove them both
and that's exactly what I did. They're both gone.

Why is slackware even in the OP? It never cared about minimalism and you're assumed to have a full system install when installing new packages on sites like slackbuilds

Systemd is a monster that is becoming more and more of an operating system each update. This was supposed to just be an init to replace sysvinit

I originally left slack out because I thought it installed a full KDE desktop or whatever. I didn't know that you could manually choose what packages you wanted in your install, but apparently that's the case, so now it's in.

not everyone in here has a negative iq and gets feed off your nonsense.

>Use devuan, it's like debian without sysyemd! Wait a second, it is actually outdated as fuck and cannot ever be maintaned as well as debian or arch, so please consider installing debian. Sorry I had to make this note so anons do not bother me anymore. I assume they are retards and will fall for this.
Nice way to put it to not include debian, but include it anyway. If you weren't so biased you would have included Artix (meme systemdless arch fork, the same as devuan) but you didn't.

OP is CUTE even if he is a dumb boy!
Why only lfs? There's other distros that are just as small

>Use devuan, it's like debian without sysyemd! Wait a second, it is actually outdated as fuck and cannot ever be maintaned as well as debian or arch, so please consider installing debian.
way to completely misinterpret and misrepresent what I say. You sound like such a nice person...
The only case in which I recommended debian is for someone who, for some weird reason, wanted systemd. The mention of debian does not get its own header, and is now relegated to the note on the devuan header. On the subject of it being outdated, did you miss the THREE fucking links explaining the branches and how to upgrade?
>I assume they are retards and will fall for this.
Not at all. In fact, a lot of the list was influenced by discussion in previous threads.

You are the only person here begging for Arch to come back, and you're not terribly convincing either. Please keep in mind that I don't hate you if you use a distro that's not in the list. If you're happy with arch, don't feel threatened or like you have to switch.

Speaking of minimalism, what's your opinion on text-files?

Been on Jason Scott's page the last few days and I've been loving the general aesthetics of them, though when you pump into those old IBM OEM symbols things get a bit funky.

As much as I'm sick of these twinkletoe threads, I have to say alpine is a solid distro. Sane installer (similar to openBSD), stable and FAST package manager, and secure by default with minimum attack surface (no glibc shit). Also unlike brony pedophile linux, it's actually used in a professional setting for docker installs.

It doesn't have a large community backing, and lacks support for a lot of cases. But what it does support it supports very well. It has potential as a minimal desktop distro. I just wish it supported video acceleration in virtualbox.

I have a LOT of text files. For my notes, my pastas, and other autism.

I agree. Alpine sounds comfy.
>I just wish it supported video acceleration in virtualbox.
or resolutions higher than 1024x768

And it wont change because Red Hat basically IS Linux at this point, even though people still fall for all the punditry about choice and options.

>implying I care about an Apple consumer's opinion in regards of linux system configuration.
I bet you never used Arch, Debian and possibly any distro you listed besides void. By 'using' I don't mean install it, put i3 and neofetch on it and make a screenshot.
>You are the only person here begging for Arch to come back
not begging, stating facts which are not yet disproven, cause (You) have no competence to do so, and go on with memes and assumptions. Also, there are many people each thread bringing this up. The pasta I made above is a modified version of a pasta made in older thread by another user, yet again nice try but not everyone in here is retarded.
>and you're not terribly convincing either
Please, disprove the arguments with arguments other than 10yo memeing. After that you can state it's not convincing.
You give nothing to the thread other than degenerated pictures (nice to note that you don't post em from the moment you have beeng called out to be reported for it) and flame for the only thing you provide in this thread: the main post.

wait until it’s more stable, you still can’t even do encrypted lvm installs yet according to their install page.

oh ok

when are these tiresome arch drones going to leave?

when are you argumenting to disprove statements other than kicking the floor, complaining like a baby?

>when are you argumenting to disprove statements other than kicking the floor, complaining like a baby

>This thread is 90% meme terminal inepts who can just follow guides blindly, ending up mounting backwards and doing simiar abominations.
>they say arch is bloated without giving you reasons
systemd
instability due to systemd
instability due to shitty maintainers
>Even the OP is just a meme, degenerated person (needs to be reported, it disgusts me)
filter the thread then, snowflake. he isn't breaking rules
>void, made by and for degenerate pony lovers
name an actual complaint against void as a distro
>Devuan/debian install is bloated as fuck. apt is bloated as fuck e.g. Installing xorg with --no-install-recommends still pulls in a bullshit amount of stuff. In arch dependencies are more optional, and pacman allows you to be way more minimal and polished than memept.
then if you want software outside the official repo you have to use the shitty AUR instead of just adding a binary repo in debian, right?

also this

>there was another [...] op
you mean you? you're the only person complaining so much lol

imo if you want all this infighting to stop, you'll remove the distro list completely and just include guides to lighter, more UNIX-y software. a distro means almost nothing to minimalism

yet again, BTFO'd. No arguments, acting crybaby like last pic related until the next thread.
>Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.
Funny how this doesn't apply to anyone in here (op included) except a small handful of anons.

Help me please with torrent-client
I can't find none of good(actually good) keyboard-driven torrent clients when i can easily choose and manipulate directories/files
I know that rtorrent has this fiture, but it's difficult to use because it's really ugly.
I need just a simple torrent client with keyboard controls and file manipulating features.

That's because virtualbox GPU is shit. It was supposedly fixed in kernel 4.15, but for anything older you really need to use VMWare if you want decent GPU support in any distro. Some are just worse about it than others.

>yet again, BTFO'd. No arguments, acting crybaby like last pic related until the next thread.

sorry for misspelling, i feel tired

>t. just another terminal inept kid who cannot understand how aur works and why is similar to other ports systems of distros included in the op (like gentoo and CRUX)
again no arguments, just:
>muh systemd
>muh aur
nobody tries to argument on how arch "all feature enabled" meme is different from other precompiled distro, debian included. Not only that, you can customize any package flag by editing the PKGBUILD, unlike debian.

>you mean you? you're the only person complaining so much lol
again, every thread there are people asking why arch is not included, see for example. My complain is different from his, I want debian and derivates removed along with arch, cause if anything arch (and arch systemdless alternatives) are more minimal than debian and its systemdless most popular alternative.

i like the direction where this is going, trashing your own thread acting like the manchild you are because u're too ignorant to stand a conversation based on facts and not memes. Please keep going.

>prt-get sysup
>still going 10 minutes later
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

rtorrent-ps isn't as ugly if you don't use any private trackers that care about you bringing in strange clients. Transmission daemon is the most /minimal/ client for non-trivial workloads, but its TUI is perversely heavier than its GTK or web interface because Python.

Textpunk over here, need a good way to order my text files ASAP, got tons of notes. So far I might abandon pure text in favor of outliners like hnb or org-mode (I rather not use Emacs though).

What do?

transmission-remote-cli

i use gentoo but the distro is not really that important because they all look and feel same with the programs that i use. only difference that will be noticed in normal use is the different package manager command.

anyone here actually using source mage?

>filter the thread then, snowflake. he isn't breaking rules
>no loli/shota allowed outside of Sup Forums

yeah, i think right know that i should stay
and learn rtorrent
what's about tremc and stig?

what if you have 1000 torrents in some other client and want to import them to rtorrent and not use rutorrent for it? you cant just automate it because the data is located on multiple drives in many directories and the cli sucks for anything but adding new torrents.

Me but no great wizard tho just an initiate

janny's a paedo

is it not obvious that rule is talking about lewds

tfw no cute bf that uses void

Why worry about ordering them when they're easy to browse and search?

Crux update the system from sources, so...

I use transmission. it's a comfy client

transmission-remote-cli is really cool, but seems like i can't select directories - only files. how can i select a directory?

>what's about tremc and stig?
Never use them to be honest, transmission-remote-cli just werks

I was using gjots2 to order my files hierarchically and got use to it, I can even edit the tree itself this way

What you mean? Pressing "m" moves torrents around, what kind of action are you looking for specifically?

According to superuser.com/questions/389621/ you can create multiple watch directories in rtorrent for each destination directory if you already have your torrent files segregated.

You really want to unfuck your storage layout so everything at least appears to be in the same directory though.

I can't select directories in menu where i specify files in a torrent.
It moves only by files, i don't need to move by files

all torrent files are in one directory and only separation on the data is that different file types are in different directories. i should do something to it but i dont want my files organized too well because they are harder to access then.

I will install Plasma on Crux. I like plasma and Plasma is comfy.

Do you really need plasma? Wouldn't something like dwm suffice just as well

Yep. Plasma 5.12 is comfy as fuck! Low memory usage, nice environment and just werks.

>It can display pictures to, I believe it was the -g flag, supposing it was compiled with graphics enabled.
You're thinking of links, not elinks.

w3m can view images too.

Would you port CloverOS scripts to CRUX?

You could always use funionfs to jury rig a combined data directory for the existing torrents. Performance probably won't be awesome, but I doubt it'll matter unless you're trying to seed up a gigabit connection.

Only if it uses portage

tfw you unintentionally created the new Sup Forums meme