/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

duckduckgo.com/?q=What is simd&ia=web
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/rsync#Full_system_backup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm buying some new drives for media storage. Is 5400 rpm enough, or should I pay extra for 7200? What use case makes 7200 beneficial?

why is there still no way to enable original filesize automatically on sankaku

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE NO OPTION FOR IT

7200rpm is a bit faster
5400rpm disks are certainly fast enough for any consumer media playback, so this is only a concern if you move things on and off the drive often
if for example, you only torrent/dump things to it, and play things back from it most of the time, you don't need a fast disk

Thanks. That's exactly my use case. Once my torrent client dumps things onto the disk, it will never ever be removed or moved to another drive. The only things I were concerned about were bottlenecking with Plex or seeding

I live in Australia.
What are some good shops that sell stuff for reasonable prices, that don't also add on fuck tons for shipping?
Primarily looking at a new case, an SSD, a video card (in the future, fuck paying for one anytime soon), a 3.5" to 2.5" internal adapter, and an external hard drive enclosure (something like a Thermaltake Blacx).
While I can find them, I can't seem to find a single store that has everything at a reasonable price, while also having reasonable shipping.

yea, i mentioned that use case since that's usually what people mean when they say "media storage"
unless you have gigabit internet and stream remuxes to 10 people at a time, you're not going to have problems
keep in mind modern 5400rpm drives can do around 60-100MB/s contiguous read/write (slower near the end, like any hdd), but a bluray remux only clocks in at ~40Mb/s, or 5MB/s, and playback is a contiguous operation (seeding isn't, but again, unless you have a really fucking quick connection, that won't take much out of it)

anyone have trouble getting mp3 or m3u streams to work in cmus?

i have libmad installed

how can i bindsym dmenu in i3 to just $mod?

Trying to share an Epson L850 to my other PCs but Im not having any success despite them being correctly plugged into a LAN network

pls help

update: plugged an old Xerox Workcentre 3220 and it worked, but the L850 which is light years away from that one

what the fuck

My basic bitch hard drive is feeling sluggish, am considering an SSD.
I do a bit of photo/video editing for people, so was considering an NVME as a scratch disk, then a larger SATA SSD for OS, some programs, and maybe a few games.
Would it be worth it going for a ~120GB NVME & ~250GB SATA? Or would it be better to just get a single ~500GB SATA for a similar amount of money?

doesnt*

sorry, dumb phoneposter

Why can't KDE display gtk windows with shardows and properly rounded corners while even xfce can do that?

Is MATLAB a meme or will it be useful at some point? My university is really pushing it onto us to learn the shit out of it.

I like to jiggle my legs while I'm listening to music and that jiggles my table which jiggles my monitor. Sometimes it looks a bit unstable. Should I be concerned?

This is my RAID configuration on a private server which came with RAID installed. Is it possible to get rid of the RAID config? Is it advisable? I want the extra HDD space, but I have no idea how to safely get "rid" of the RAID config...

pic related

is buying 128gb micro sd a bad idea? people complains of slow speed (not 100mbps) and faulty models after only a month or two. I need a large micro sd because I need to store large quantities of files but it's not meant for permanent storage since files will be removed over time (when files reach ratio=1.0 they are removed from transmission and supposedly deleted from the micro sd). I really don't want to waste 50€ on this for a faulty product.. do you have a specific model suggestion for me? need 128gb, fast read write speed to host os and files to seed

What is simd?

duckduckgo.com/?q=What is simd&ia=web

I have been doing the same for 10+ years and everything's fine. Unless you really violent at that it should be ok. But theoretically it can affect things like cables and soldier joints in any device you have on the table so try to restrain youself.

you can 'convert' an mdadm raid1 without backing it up (though you really should back it up)
1. fail one of the disks so it's no longer valid in the raid
2. erase the superblock of the 'failed' disk so it's no longer recognized as a raid disk (which can cause problems)
3. mount the remaining disk as a degraded raid
4. transfer the contents of the degraded raid to the non-raid disk
5. unmount and wipe the superblock of the remaining raid disk
there, now you're left with two non-raid disks, one of which contains all your data

I bought a used Xeon E3-1290v2 (Ivy Bridge, LGA1155, no integrated gpu), but it won't even post, no image on the screen (dvi-d connection). No beeps.

Fans on cpu, gpu and psu spin.
Sometimes they stop right away 2 seconds after I turn the pc on and sometimes they won't stop spinning unless I hold the power button for quite a bit - 10 + seconds

Ofcourse I updated the motherboard BIOS to the last one(~2014) and removed the cmos battery just before testing the new cpu...

I reseated the cpu once before trying out the old i3 cpu I was using before which booted right away. No scratching on the backside of the Xeon except a very thin shallow mark on three(3) and the little dot on the inside.
I'm typing on the pc right now.

Motherboard is a really cheaply made Asus H61.
On the CPU support list it has an Intel Xeon E3-1230 "since BIOS 0203" which is older than the one I have now.

Any suggestions? Or is the cpu dead? I didn't try removing the ram sticks or using the jumper itself to clear the real time clock (rtc) ram for the cmos (since I couldnt find the thing without a manual, though I did remove the battery)

Id consider the 500gb - the speed difference between NVME and SATA is truely neglectable for everyday things.

I booted up the windows partition on my triple boot thinkpad just to do some standard maintainence and found the following trojan on my machine

Win32/tiggre!rfn

Defender deleted it but I was wondering where it came from. I hardly use this partition at all, I was just experimenting to see if I could triple boot. That win partition barely has 2 hours uptime and it is already infested with some crap.
Anyone got any ideas where I picked this up? How can it be here. Will defender adequatly contain it? I have ran a malware bytes since it has been deleted and am currently doing a full defender sys scan. I am quite dissapointed I don't get these troubles in my Loonix environment I certainly don't expet it to show up on a full instll. Did this come bundeled with my malwarebytes? the only programs I have downloaded are malwarebytes, 7zip, wireshark and apache open office.
Thankyou for you time, God bless.

Is it worth it to build a TV? Would it be easy and cheap to find the parts to build myself a 1080p 40"+ TV?
Or should I just shell out 400-500€ and buy a real TV

>build a tv
woah calm down there ahmed
we don't.. *gulp* .. want any trouble around here

fucking thanks!

How do I update gdb on windows? I'm using Mingw, and I'm not sure what to do.

Education: "Requires a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Experience: "Requires knowledge of general procurement, a minimum of two to three years of Item File Management or similar experience, preferably within a government entity. Must have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Experience with Microsoft Access, Power BI, or other BI tools, and Tableau is preferred. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: "This position requires in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with Item File and/or data management and related issues. "Excellent analytical and organizational skills along with strong writing, communications, reporting, and analysis skills required. "Individual must be capable of managing numerous projects simultaneously and maintaining a high leadership role on the team. "High proficiency required in Microsoft Office Suite products, with proven ability to display accurate, precise, and expedient data entry skills. "Knowledge of purchasing principles, practices, laws and regulations governing public procurement.

I have an interview Monday, what the hell is "Item File Management"

I know this is a stupid questions thread but come on

What's the general consensus on thermal paste?
It's been a while since I repasted my CPU, and my GPU could probably do with a repasting too, but I'm retarded and have no idea what any good thermal pastes are.
I had a Cooler Master paste, but it was chalky as fuck, and didn't spread very well.

np
also keep in mind that if this is your system disk, you will need to prepare the non-raid disk for booting after step 4, and boot to it to perform step 5

It is just really tempting for me to buy broken TVs, but I don't know if I can actually do anything with the parts that work. I don't know what parts are interchangeable between different models.
I didn't express myself well.

no
you could get replacement parts for the lcd and a controller/tuner, but you'll be left with no case, and will likely cost more than just getting a whole TV

>what parts are interchangeable between different models.
typically nothing
different sub-models in the same range may share compatible or identical parts, but that's about it

Bueler? Bueler?

open the mingw package manager/installer and install it from there if there is a newer version.

Would /boot be my system disk? It's mounted in md1, which is also in RAID1 with two raid devices. I can't however seem to find out which devices are in that specific raid config, there's nothing in mdadm --detail /dev/md1 which points to some identifier

1. Is it worth it to upgrade from normal ssd to nvme m.2 ssd?

2. Is it worth it to upgrade from ddr3 1600 to ddr4 3000/3200 RAM?

Asking because i will buy a new cpu, which also means new motherboard, so its possible to upgrade these 2 things. The use case is of course video games and general usage like watching/browsing.

Thank you.

I did a fsck on my OS drive to fix some stuff like it not booting, and now it fixed that, but now some programs can't start, and others don't have my settings. Shit like tt-rss doesn't seem to start, and qbittorrent doesn't have any of my settings.
Anything obvious that I could do to get fix those things? I have an rsync backup, but that's a little bit outdated, and I made those while the OS was booted so I don't know how reliable that is.

no, / (root) is your system disk, you can unmount /boot without interruption, but you can't unmount root
check "mount | grep " / "" to see if root is a /dev/md* device

I can't figure out what the fuck the problem is here, I've been trying to figure it out for two days.

>having an issue with my monitors, notice they're in the wrong order so I figure switching them might help (the "two" screen was the first screen on the left for example)
>apply
>other monitor goes black
Now I can't get them to extend to both screens anymore. If I try, the other just goes black. Strangely duplicating the screens will bring both up but that's as far as I can get, everything else just seems to be a dead end.

>i did an fsck and now things are missing/broken
i personally would not continue using that volume, back it up, restore from your older backup, then pick out things from the backup of the current system that you can verify are good

-- oh, and a properly done live rsync backup is fine, at worst you might have truncated logs or other things that were being written as rsync was reading them, but it's more than likely in much better condition than your current volume

>then pick out things from the backup of the current system that you can verify are good
Is there a good method for this? I absolutely do not know what settings are where and shit.

system settings are in /etc, user settings are at /home/
some daemons store data in /var, you'd probably know which if you had any
you can also ask your package manager which files are not owned by any packages (and are therefore user-created files)

Of course "/" is system.. I feel completely at home in this /sqt/. "/" is mounted on md2. I'm still not sure if md3 and md2 are in the same raid array, though. But considering the file size of those disks, I guess they are. I don't have physical access to the server, that would really have made things a lot easier. Just to get this clear: I cannot get rid of the array because / is mounted on one of the system drives?

I can't seem to have this drive so that it's a single partition.
Any anons able to help a retard like me out?

Okay, I'll try that then. It's honestly not that much later, and if it avoids some vague errors residing in the filesystem forever, I guess I can live with it.
I've used the command from here wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/rsync#Full_system_backup , so I assume that's about as "proper" as you can.
Thanks, I had the thought there were more? Guess I'm wrong.

Where should I store git repos and my own projects?
I am thinking of either /home/username/repos or /usr/local/repos

Inject a script to load on the image page and make it send a HEAD to the original image url and read the content-length(in bytes)

is that a boot drive? you'll need those partitions if you want to boot from it

do it for me, i'm not a code monkey, or i'd have made it a long time ago

I believe NVME are only useful for scratch disks for heavy video editing and the like. I don't think there's a significant difference for other uses.
Most CPUs can only use DDR3 or DDR4, not both. And most recent CPUs only use DDR4, so I'd get that for that reason. With DDR3 the speed difference was negligible, but with DDR4 I think there's a more noticeable difference. I'd get like 3200MHz.

md3 and md2 are different arrays, in the same way sda and sdb are different disks
however, they both are on different partitions of the same two disks, as seen in your screenshot
basically, you can't completely get rid of the array in one go without rebooting, as mentioned in you can fail one of the disks, erase it's superblock, format it as a non-raid disk, and transfer the contents over (everything from the remaining raid disk, whether you choose to use multiple partitions on the non-raid disk as it is setup now is up to you)
but at that point, you will need to set up the non-raid disk to be bootable, and boot into it, in order to be able to unmount and erase the superblock of the remaining raid disk

if you don't completely understand how all this works, /do a full backup before starting/. there is absolutely room for error here.

yes, that backup should be fine, personally i just use -x (one filesystem) and then backup /, /home, and /boot, but that's no different, just an 'inclusive' method rather than 'exclusive' like that one
>Thanks, I had the thought there were more? Guess I'm wrong.
many of the folders are only ever modified when installing packages, and are essentially "read-only" during normal use

I'll think about it when I get home.

It's an external/portable drive. I've never had it used as a boot drive.

My grandpa just gave me a couple old computers of his, some have major problems others just need to be wiped.

What should i do with them? Servers? If so what should i host on em?

how old are we talking? 5, 10, 30 years old?

think of it like this, only the users' home folder can be written to by a user, right?
this means the only things writing to places outside the users' home folder are daemons, most of those only need config files, which go in /etc most of the time (sometimes they're installed in /opt, and put their configs there too, but that's sort of old-fashioned)
and things which need to store more than a config file, like databases, media servers, web servers, etc, typically put their stuff somewhere under /var
the rest is just "program files", stuff that is installed and not touched until updated or uninstalled

Does anyone else ever get a problem in Windows 7, where Firefox starts running really slow? By which I mean, the framerate seems to plummet?

halp me pls

how do i find all files related to a program?

ask your package manager

5-10

2 macbook pros, 2 PC towers, 2 laptops (one i fixed and am posting off of running LinuxMint KDE and im kinda liking it)

I have alias poweroff='sudo poweroff' in bashrc on debian, is there a way so I dont have to type in my password to confirm it?

either set a sudo rule for it, or make a bash script that runs poweroff, change it's owner to root, and set the suid flag on it

Yes, in sudoers you can allow a certain user to execute a certain command without password.

Also, I think outside of sudo you can set certain users to use the shutdown command.

If I import a folder from Mega, will it stay synchronized or will it just be a copy?
If it's just a copy of the current state of the folder. Do you know any way to sync that folder?

FUCK I just realized I've got my external backup drive sitting on my desk kek gotta unplug that.
But thanks for boosting my confidence in the jiggle.

>Most CPUs can only use DDR3 or DDR4, not both.

Oh wow i would've totally overlooked that, ryzen doesnt support ddr3, thanks a lot.

Can someone give me a solid and simple explanation on what the fuck are lambdas on programming?

I just dont know how they work or why are they trending these times.

What are arrow functions and how does the arrows work?

What is the best user friendly debian distro beside ubuntu?

Need some help diagnosing the cause of a problem here:

The last couple of months my PC has been crashing (locked, had to restart) after some sort of graphics glitch. I used to be able to just restart, but a week ago it just sort of wouldn't boot at all.
Didn't get any video signal, fans were spinning, SSD LED only blinked a couple of times, whereas it normally would blink sort of regularly. Pulling out my GPU let's my PC boot regularly now, but I'm stuck with a question: was it the GPU or could there also be issues with my PSU?

I unfortunately only have this PC to work with so I can't really swap some other GPU or PSU to see what's the issue. Any idea how I could still figure out the cause with some certainty?

Of course I'll answer questions if necessary.

If you have a multimeter/voltmeter you can check the output voltages of the PSU. Simply google an ATX connector pinout to see which voltages are where and which cables to connect to turn it on.
Note: you might see ATX1 and ATX2 pinouts, chances that your PSU is the ATX2 (has more pins).

>home network

modem -> router wan port
router does dhcp on 192.168.3.x
My shit is private but things like nvidia game stream don't work. I can't and access any ports on my computer from my phone or other computers. Everything is connected to the router.

modem -> router lan port
modem does dhcp on 192.168.178.x
I can connect to devices within my network but I also see everything my housemates have connected (and I assume they see my stuff. Don't want that).

How do I get my devices to connect within the network on my own subnet (is that what it's called?)?.

>My shit is private but things like nvidia game stream don't work. I can't and access any ports on my computer from my phone or other computers. Everything is connected to the router.
Disable windows firewall?

Is HPET a botnet?

UPnP

It's a clocknet.

Any good recommendations for a Google Drive client for GNU/Linux?

what android app that is free and respects my freedumbs do you use for facebook?

Lets say I had to give a short 1 hour talk to lay normies on how crypocurrency work but I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. What book would you recommend to give me the knowledge to pull this off?

are the 8tb wd easystors a good deal at $160?

Compinsating people for donating processing power to secure the network the coin is based on.

Unless its BOINK then your mainly doing research for SETI

Literally doesn't matter since facebook shits on your freedoms left and right.
The least worse solution is using a freedom respecting browser with adblocking.

Delete everything except H and then expand.

Is a graphics tablet really as useful as everyone makes it out to be?

>just heard about a game called tis-100
>uncompressed game is 50 mb
>game has literally no graphics, just text.
why is the game so big? i know 50 mb is nothing for today but the game doesn't even have any textures and the sounds are just split second beeps
pic related is the actual game menu

not even going to talk about the fact that you can't run it with less than 2 gb of ram

Why is DS emulation super great and fast on Android devices but really slow on PC?

What is the recommended file recovery software for Windows?

Found an old netbook that barely runs windows. Which distro should I choose? I tried installing KDE neon, but it's still too much for the computer.
>2Gb RAM
>1.6 GHz processor (64bit)
>runs doom at 14fps

I accidentally clicked 'hide' on a device in KDE/Dolphin. Now it won't show up in my devices and I can't find a way to unhide it.
HELP.

Ever since updating mps-youtube to 0.2.8 I can't play music through the search interface by pressing a number key. It shows the video info (ID and filetype) but instantly stops playback before any sound comes out. How do I fix this?

puppy linux, or arch running something like lxde

Im looking to replace my Nvidia Shield tablet because the battery has gone to shit.
What are some good Android tablets with a screen size of ~8 in?
I had the OG nexus 7 and the Shield seemed to be a spiritual successor to it but Nvidia has stopped producing the tablet.

It sounds like you are leaving some things out. Is the modem a combo router/modem? Is there another router between the modem and your router?