/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-plus-universal-iems
johnr.hifizine.com/2012/09/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-measurements/
youtube.com/watch?v=CPmucPjFulI
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

>Sennheiser
Overpriced, overhyped and shit quality
>Sony
Overpriced, have to pay the jewhon tax
>AKG
hit or miss, shit plastic, shit elastic, lasts a year before stretching out
>OPPO, b&o, b&w
pay more for looks instead of sound
>Stax
a literal meme
>Beyer
Ear rape treble
>Philips
only good ones
>Audio Technica
Shrill garbage
>Shure
Distortion cannons
>hifiman
break the next day
>fostex
niggerbass

Just buy speakers.

WHERE ARE THE FEET?

>Just buy speakers.
Okay.

Dank meme, gen z. Really contributed to the thread.

Never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality control, performance, and customer service
>Schiit defenders are becoming poster children for post-purchase rationalization when shown their buys aren’t worth the money

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses
>As we see, tons of jitter and distortion products are visible together with higher noise floor. Even the Topping D30 at $129 shipped runs circles around it in how clean its output is relative to Schiit BiFrost Multi-bit.
>There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

Best budget headphones coming through :^)

gj user!

cool meiling thread

Don't think I've posted this view of my setup

Best budget amp/DAC here!

Thank you!

Correct

Never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality control, performance, and customer service
>Schiit defenders are becoming poster children for post-purchase rationalization when shown their buys aren’t worth the money

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses
>As we see, tons of jitter and distortion products are visible together with higher noise floor. Even the Topping D30 at $129 shipped runs circles around it in how clean its output is relative to Schiit BiFrost Multi-bit.
>There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

think again

endgame

>>Sennheiser
>Overpriced, overhyped and shit quality
cant u read

whoops. thanks user for spreading the good word

>reddit

What is the general consensus for DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm (excluding HD600 shill-kun)? Are they good to go for music and videogames?

>The home of Schiit schiils

Why does it have a knob for the kHz?
It should go from 44.1192kHz on the fly depending on what the sample rate the song you play uses.

For me its the SHP9500S

The Trustiest of Fucks

Go back.

Shut up Idol Trash.

Unfortunately, I have not a single Schiit product on me

>speakers

Please go back? And don't forget to bring your gen z memes with you.

Only if you buy me Schiit, the key to all things Reddit

Top 3 worst /hpg/ posters:
1. (you)
2. "best headphones in the galaxy" retard
3. Anti schiit shill

it's not a knob, it's just a screen to dim the led indicators a bit

>Top 3 worst /hpg/ posters:
>1. (you)
>2. "best headphones in the galaxy" retard
Literally the same poster, and most probably Idol Trash shitposting personas.

>2. "best headphones in the galaxy"
I like Star Wars too, gen z. But please go back? Please.

Doubt it.
When was the last time you made a non-shitpost? Just curious.

2009 probably. Pretty much the same time as the no going back point for modern Sup Forums.

When you can't afford your dream headphones but you've lucked out on getting a killer 70s sound system for cheap your sorrows melt away

Your life must be depressing.

Not really. Just miss a lot of the old internet.

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-plus-universal-iems
are these any good or are there better IEMs for the price ?
don't know shit about the ear dildos

this connector triggers the gen z retard

people who actually miss the old internet don't miss Sup Forums they miss usenet.

I miss when you didn't constantly shit up our threads.

Not sure who you're parroting but no. Old newgrounds and the other late 90s sites just will never happen again.

best under $1K

Wheres that retard that bought 1k cables?
I wanna laugh at him

are they comparable to something like the Andromeda ? I liked those when I tried them

Parroting no one. Internet user since 96 here, I don't miss late 90s web, I miss usenet, which is NOT the web. They were a better medium for conversation than anything webshits have come up with since then. Decentralized, not belonging to any single one entity, efficient native client software with the ability to download an entire board of messages for offline reading and a variety of boards from anything-goes to highly moderated boards where each posts had to be manually approved before being distributed.
Usenet did everything webforums do but better and more efficiently.

We're stuck in Eternal September.

the sound signature is rather similar, massdrop plus slightly recessed treble compared to the andromeda, also is less detailed and has a smaller soundstage
the andros are better, but not 3x the price better

Elear or LCD2C for classical music?

I forgot to mention the most important bit: no ads or donation begging. Usenet servers were mostly operated by ISP so there was no begging for donations or showing distasteful ads you need to block. Back then it was considered a core internet infrastructure to have a medium of conversation that didn't belong to a group of sycophants.

Geocities were a fucking mess. The only sites back then worth mentioning were independent or quickly became independent.

:under construction: sums up most personal web pages of the time.

blis no meme answers
should I get a fiio e10k and call it a day or spend something more for a magni 3 and no dac (at least for now). i have a pair of hd6xx

Hey cutie show us your feet.

O2

Magni 3 or O2.
e10k is a "temporal solution" tier amp. Don't settle for that, when you can spend just a little more and get Endgame.

I've considered the o2 and I actually like it more then the magni but it's also 35€ more expensive
that's what I was thinking, the e10k sounds like a poor people choice but if it gets the job done who cares

either buy an O2 or at least get something that will act like a good DAC later on like the UMC204HD
oh well I'm gonna get some stuff on sale and buy a pair, they also seem to ship the next week which is pretty good from massdrop

Do you use a desktop or laptop? Gotta ask because more and more people only have laptops and those rarely have an analog line out, some just have optical within the headphone jack. Using the headphone out to power an amp is less than satisfactory.

Bad headphones.

>the e10k sounds like a poor people choice but if it gets the job done who cares
It isn't just a "poorfag" amp. It's USB powered, has no line-in and clips easily. There's too many headphones it can't drive to the 115dB nwavguy recommends as a power target.

I have a desktop
basically what I was wondering is if having a dac and cheap amp is better then having an amp only

>they also seem to ship the next week which is pretty good from massdrop
as this is a "massdrop made" product it will be in stock very often and will always ship quickly

You already have a bunch of cheap dacs: Your computer's, your phone's.
And you can't even use these with the e10k, due to lack of line in.

oh yeah I also have a scarlett 2i2 somewhere, would that be useful?

Yes it would.

johnr.hifizine.com/2012/09/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-measurements/
Honestly, unless you plan to buy very power hungry headphones, I doubt getting a DAC/amp would be of any use.

>Budget
200-300€
>Location
France
>Source
Fioo x1
>Type of headphone
headphones, plan to move with it
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
Good (with glasses)
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
momentum

Cheers

my 150 dollar USB cable just came in and i hear no difference. i fell for the jew.

oo, what's the headphone on the right with the white grill?

you just have to warm up the cables in hte microwave dw

What do you really look for better than Momentum in that price range honestly ?

I don't even like the Momentum (bought Focal Spirit Pro for similar purposes), but I struggle to think of a much better pair of headphones which you can easily wear on the go in that price range.

at least it looks nice right?

What's everyone listening to?

youtube.com/watch?v=CPmucPjFulI

Its silver and its a Beyerdynamic DT880 from 1980

And yes it does sounds good once I EQ it

so you are saying that I don't need to buy anything else right now?

It's dead so I have to buy a new pair. Momentum was fine but not so confortable, especially with my glasses on

Nice highest fidelity headphones on planet Earth, user. Nice Audio Technicas, too.

hello fellow french person
I'd recommend IEMs if you want something better for the price, like the other user said, I doubt you'll find anything much better than your past Momentums
your price range could actually get you some really neutral IEMs like the ER4 or the Massdrop Plus if you feel lucky with customs
audio interfaces are very underrated, unless you're trying to power planars they're quite efficient
my UMC204 powers the HD6XX just fine so I'm pretty sure it would be fine in your case too

what's special about powering planars?

I usually see, below that price range, the Sony MDR-1A going on sale for a nice 99€ on Amazon. The Meze 99 (Neo, Classics are a bit above the budget range) seems to have great reviews.

I don't think you'll find a much better offer in the price range. Personally, I've made the move to IEM for that price range (MEE Pinnacle P1), but if you use them for something else than commute, I get why you wouldn't want IEM.

Heavy load (low sensitivity driver) into low impedance. It's actually harder for the amp to do than any other combo. Low power amps will clip planars before you reach unbearable volumes.
There are some dynamic headphones with lower impedance and low sensitivity but they are few and the most popular among them are still higher impedance than HiFiMan's planars, like the 62 ohm AKG.

I'v tried some IEM, but I don't find them confortable at all (small conduit).

I guess I'll try the 99. I've seen on some website the MSR7 having good reviews, any feedback on this one ?

>I guess I'll try the 99. I've seen on some website the MSR7 having good reviews, any feedback on this one ?
I've had my hands on a momentum and currently have a MSR7 among other things. Sound quality wise the MSR7 is a step up, but there are things that hamper it as a portable headphone. You can't fold it up for easier transportation, the build is honestly a bit flimsier on the joints than the momentum (look at the webm I uploaded to see the momentum build) and they do not isolate much sound, and leak a little if you listen loud. Also if you found the momentum uncomfortable you will find the MSR7 worse. The earpads aren't better in size, and they have a lot of clamping force, the momentum have none.

meze 99 is a rebranded chink niggerbass headphones with wood cups beacuse audiophools love wooden shit

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll try to find a place where I can see if the MSR7 are confortable or not, or I'll get the momentum.

Is there something outside my price range worth going for ?

What are those big ones

you can't walk around like this
not even in france

>J'Harman target
Absolutely disgusting.

In truth the only reason I can keep the MSR7 is because I'm kinda immune to discomfort, I always just bear with it no matter how bad it gets (I used to wear clamping on-ear headphones 7h a day decades ago..). Still despite being able to stand it, I definitely notice how heavy the pressure feels on my head. One of the most aggressively clamping over-ear headphone i've worn. When I see people bitch about the m50x comfort I wonder what they'd feel wearing the msr7.

that was the recommended EQ that i was provided i have it about 2-3 dB less for the lowend

hm okay that's interesting. just a couple of days ago i saw some guy saying that LCD-2s didn't need amplification and he posted a chart or something about it.

>meze 99 is a rebranded chink niggerbass headphones with wood cups beacuse audiophools love wooden shit
note that this actually got worse in the newer 99 production because meze can't into acoustic engineering and they changed the earpads for something that boosted the bass more.

So recently I've been having some issues with a pair of Ultrasone 750s I got about 5 years ago. The only issues I've had with them before is that the audio tends to cut out unless I mess with the input (the default cable comes with a 3.5mm to plug into the actual headphones and then a 1/4" on the other end, up until now I've just been using a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter like pic related, it's pretty janky but it works fine most of the time), and I plug them into a fiio e7 amp.

The problem is as of last night and this morning I can't hear any audio on the right side of the headphones. I tried plugging them into the default headphone jack instead of the amp, same result. I got a different audio cable (this time a regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm), same result. Tried both cables on my laptop, again, same result. I've tried a pair of klipsch IEMs on the amp and they work great, so I'm pretty confident that the amp isn't the problem. Additionally, given that I've tried with two separate cables, I think the right side might just be broken, which is odd considering they've worked so well for so long, and the only indication of something being wrong would be some sort of tinny noises on one ear, but those were on the left side, which still work.

Any other ideas or does it sound like I should just get a new pair?

>Ultrasone
no
> I should just get a new pair?
yes

So I'm going to buy a hd600, dt880 600ohm, ol dac, magni 3, and valhalla otl tube amp.
Hifi here I come. Pretty fucking excited actually. Anyone else like tubes? I got to try some recently and decided it was worth the $300 to have one of my own.
Upgrading from my ath m40x

now that's a pretty good one