Is GNU Guix the best OS ever created?

Is GNU Guix the best OS ever created?

It is without any doubt better than Gentoo, Arch Linux, OpenBSD, Plan9 and maybe even better than TempleOS, so I guess the answer is yes...

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Features.html#Features
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Preparing-for-Installation.html
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Features.html
savannah.gnu.org/projects/guix/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why is it better?

Is free as in freedom. Part of the GNU Project. Based on the Nix package manager. Uses Guile Scheme for its APIs.

Yes.

>GNU
>Good

The icon looks like a womb

if you're stuck in the 90s maybe yes

>90s
lol? it literally have the most advanced and powerful package manager ever created:
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Features.html#Features

GNU isn't freedom, because it uses GPL, not WTFPL.
Only WTFPL protects our freedom.

try using it for a while, it's utter garbage

and you are so stupid

ISC*

>UR STUPID DHURHRRDURRURR
great argument civodul

>GNU
>best at doing anything except whining about not receiving credit they think they're owed
GNUfags are the gypsies of the software world.

The rest of the computing industry is stuck in the 70s. Same practices used for development and distribution. Nothing has changed. GuixSD and NixOS are the only modern operating systems available.

>The Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) is beta software, which means it is not production-ready.

>It doesn't come with the proprietary cuck applications I need.

>maybe even better than TempleOS
stopped reading right there. If you say that this is usefull at any degree and compare it in usefulness to any linux based distribution, then your opinion is discarded.
>hurr durr muh Terry, muh cia niggers!
kys faggots

following through with that meme i see

>DUUUURRR ITS UTTER GURBAGE UUU
great argument civodul

Reproducible package management.
Principle of least privilege for building packages.
Does exactly what you tell it, doesn't need to do guesswork.
Easy per-user package repositories and no trouble installing multiple versions of same programs.
Reproducible system configuration.
You have a description of how your system got it into its current state. No need to remember 100 commands with all the different switches and configure a dozen config files in /etc (all with different text formats).
Ability to safely rollback to previous configuration.
Single language for package management, configuration management and service configuration.
The language used for above is not a restricted markup language but is a language you can actually compute with.
Container provisioning for free (Stop wasting your time with Docker).

That's what you can get already. What we don't have yet, but will have at some point in the near future:
We won't need a centralized repository to enforce a fixed naming policy or distribute packages.
We won't need to trust that package maintainers are well behaved because we'll have a trustless way of verifying that a binary downloaded over a DHT matches the source code specified in the package and that nobody has tampered with the code.

What have I missed?

glow in the dark cia nigger detected

I'm really enjoying using NixOS. The fundamentals are all great, but the tooling is shit.

sure, I am posting from my lvm encrypted GuixSD insta.. oh wait it's still not supported.
>best distro

??? of course you can

gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Preparing-for-Installation.html

> Based on the Nix package manager
This is not true, it uses the guix package manager, which is very similar to the nix package manager: They both support rollbacks, per user packages etc.
But is not based on it.
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Features.html

That being said: Both GuixSD and NixOS are very nice.

Guix and Nix are the only package manager actually using a modern approach you brainlet.

Yes.

>only supporting proprietary software creation protects my freedoms

>systemd
>blobbed kernel
Eww

>The rest of the computing industry is stuck in the 70s.
Unironically this.

>Guix is based on the Nix package manager.
savannah.gnu.org/projects/guix/

Can you now please fuck off?

Guix has some rough edges but it is pretty neat. When will we replace the rest of the userland with scheme?

>implying you run anything that needs to be production-ready

The best yet no one uses it, trully a shame.
;^)

Yes.

You must love bloat. Seriously, went to install like 10 packages and with 1010 due to "dependencies"

Certainly.

> Can you now please fuck off?
How about you fuck off, brainlet.

Next time learn how to read the first page of the official documentation, faggot.

a soft fluorescence emanates from this african american

>muh cia niggers!
see: Memeing an ill man, making him live in a van. You're fucking niggers here.

The worst. But it comes with best kernel ever made thou

Many distros support Hurd...

The Nix/Guix model is undeniably master race for development purposes. Like virtualenv but for the whole system and it works with any language. Haven't tried any of the NixOS deployment or service management features yet, but I've got a Nix-based build environment for my one big project and I'm very happy with it. I still use Debian for the base system though, since I trust them more than NixOS or GuixSD to not fuck things up.

keks

>black bars
where the hell has this been

is Terry back in jail bros

Nix brainlet here.
Still can't see the clear advantages of having guile instead of a dsl.
Also tell me about the community nix is filled with faggots who can't even grasp what to do when you get duplicate package (protip a weight related problem)

>reddit saved from Sup Forums
>posted at reddit
>removed the lower part
>posted on youtube
>black bars appear
>reddit has no own memes
>finds youtube maxresdefault.jpg on google
>reposts on reddit via imgur
>random fag saves it off imgur
>reposts on Sup Forums

sounds almost too good to be true. there must be some drawbacks.

>We won't need to trust that package maintainers are well behaved because we'll have a trustless way of verifying that a binary downloaded over a DHT matches the source code specified in the package and that nobody has tampered with the code.
Without compiling? Is that even possible? If with compiling - why download binaries at all?

>MY freedoms
I don't think you understand how freedom works

>What have I missed?
whether you're talking about Guix or Nix

Fuck you faggot

It's better than NixOS because you use one language to define packages instead of two, but that's about it. It's still a *nix knockoff. It has nothing on a proper networked operating system like Plan 9 or Urbit.

peak Sup Forums

O ye of little faith

The drawback is that it requires a fair amount of technical knowledge and you need to configure your system up-front, unlike just grabbing a distro and having it install out of the box. There's no GUI, you need to edit a config file which is written in S-expressions (Guile Scheme, although you don't need to be a Schemer to write configurations).
To gain the full benefits, everything is compiled from scratch in an isolated environment, it can take some time to build in full - but this should be once only. (And you don't have to if you just want to download precompiled binaries like a regular distribution).

If a dozen people compile it and publish their results over some distributed network, then a user can just grab the results and check that there is consensus on the hash (or M of N are the same), and the user only needs to compile if there's no consensus on what it should be.
You'll still probably need to maintain a list of "trusted parties," and assume they can't all collaborate to produce the wrong hash.
Or some kind of blockchain (PoS) based solution where there's a penalty issued for publishing the wrong hashes.

Nearly all of it applies to NixOS too. Aside from the "actual programming language" part which greatly improves interoperability between different parts of the system. Nix has a decent language, but I think Guix has the clear advantage by having a better one.