So if Nevermind defined the youth culture of the 90s while American Idiot defined it in the 2000s what album did the...

So if Nevermind defined the youth culture of the 90s while American Idiot defined it in the 2000s what album did the same in the 2010s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_h7s6Ox9Q&list=PLCrBvYLh1H_yIxfifetYXaynVGNjyrVcW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not a rock album anymore, that's for sure.

To Pimp a Butterfly tbf

Blurryface

Young thug - Slime season 3

This honestly

Kanye maybe?

to a lesser extent, but yes

Are you sure?
> Defines the youth culture of the 2010s

Oh what the hell American Idiot is terrible can't it at least be like a strokes album or something to represent the garage rock revival

>Ignores the millions of emo-punk wannabes of the decade.
OP didn't say "best album", they said "defined youth culture".

>pretentious, whiny teens pretending to be depressed and needy so they can put off responsibility and adulthood until their early 30s
Yes, it does.

NLDW

have you met any teenagers lately

youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_h7s6Ox9Q&list=PLCrBvYLh1H_yIxfifetYXaynVGNjyrVcW

Just haven't heard the album but judging by what
says I suppose it's right.

21 Pilots is a one hit wonder band
Only Tumblrans praise them as being cutting edge

Nirvana is dogshit

American idiot is a masterpiece

Blurry face is ok but kinda meh

Hip hop is shit

Sorry, I meant

>American Idiot is good
>but Nirvana are bad
Jesus fucking Christ never post again.

but they've already had several hits

>American idiot is a masterpiece
This. I'm not even memeing here when I ask when this album will become Sup Forumscore. It perfectly captures the American mentality during the early 2000's.

American Idiot didn't define fuck-all.

Maybe if you live in America "Don't want to be an American idiot" was a lyric that got you fired up and angry. Maybe. But you know that's how most of the world sees America anyways, which is the whole point. It's not some revolutionary mantra, it's accepting the truth. In a way Green Day sound so fucking exhausted they're willing to give in and make some dumb radio music, oh wait, that's what they made to begin with, unlike Nirvana who came up making nasty shit that should have never made it on the radio but did anyways and ended their career playing nasty shit that should have never made it on the radio but did anyways.

American Idiot didn't define fuck-all

>Nirvana is dogshit
>Blurry Face is ok
Don't talk to me or my son ever again

This

>unlike Nirvana who came up making nasty shit that should have never made it on the radio but did anyways

Are you kidding me?
Smells like Teen Spirit, Lithium and Come as you are, are all radio friendly pop songs

In 91 they weren't that radio friendly. For that time, Nevermind had a ton of abrasive stuff.

>tfw actually really enjoy Jesus of Suburbia

rest is shit though

why is that wrong

Blurryface is shit
American Idiot is good but nowhere near a masterpiece, although it did influence a lot of bands and kids
Nirvana are good

>Nevermind had a ton of abrasive stuff

The only abrasive songs on it were Territorial Pissings and Breed. The rest sounded like derivatives from other songs like SLTS was from Boston's More than a Feeling and Come as you are's intro was from Killing Joke

This

Also those didn't really define youth culture to begin with, the majority of kids did not listen to nirvana or green day. Were they abnormally popular for what they were? Yes, but not youth defining.

Lmao

Literally only the two first chords of SLTS are taken from MTAF. The rest of the song is completely different.
I'll give you the riff of Come As You Are. Still, the tempo of the song and the rest of the song is also different.

And there's Endless Nameless too, if you count it as a song. Also the anti-solos in some tracks like Lithium.

Yeah I fucking wish

IN NO WAY DOES THAT ALBUM DEFINE YOUTH CULTURE

LMAO

this desu

not a bad album either, unlike nirvana and murican idiot

This album and this "band" will eventually die out of popularity.

...right?

Give it 10/20 years and it'll be dadrock.

Maybe or they might become the next Radiohead

No they're literally this generations Nirvana

Deal with it

Sure. Their whole aesthetic is already dated AS FUCK, and the "indie rap" gimmick will eventually die out.

no.
every diiv album or epik indie xd reverb album does.
everyday the "youth culture" is more pretentious and less creative.
at least nevermind is a well composed album, I dont like AI that much but I have to accept that means a lot to the 2000s, but lamentably this overated and boring albums (bands like diiv and fidlar) are representing the 2010s youth culture: boring and pretentious.

How could you say that

That's a huge overstatement and I don't think you quite realize what you're saying. They're really just getting recognition and they're not nearly as big as Nirvana was, nor will they ever be.

are you kidding, its the logical endpoint of 10 years of pop-punk, and was basically a teenager's angry Iraq War/ injustice album. It was totally applicable.

not saying musically or lyrically its great, but its pretty representative of the decade.

correct.

kys

i hope you don't have any influence over your wife's son

>Nevermind defined the youth culture of the 90s
As someone who was a teenager at the time, and a Nirvana fan at that, I'd say this is an overreach. It was certainly influential among white males in suburbia, but it wasn't something you generally heard at dances or parties (at least not where I was). It got comparatively minimal play on MTV, and on radio was mostly limited to "alternative" stations.

While grunge was certainly a factor in alternative rock overtaking mainstream rock, rock in general (including alternative) was losing ground to pop and hip-hop during this time period, and other alternative artists had more crossover appeal on both radio and MTV. R.E.M. and Red Hot Chili Peppers, for instance, both appealed to a much broader spectrum than Nirvana did, as did Radiohead subsequently. Hell, as much as it pains me to say it, so did the Dave Matthews Band.

This.

Anyone who thinks Nirvana was mainstream-radio friendly in the early 90s doesn't know what they are talking about. Nirvana wasn't compatible even with mainstream rock radio, let alone pop radio at the time (a time when Madonna and Janet Jackson were still cutting edge).

Consider that by far the biggest hit of '91 was Bryan Adams' "(Everything I Do) I Do it For You" (held #1 for seven straight weeks in the U.S., and more than twice that long in the U.K.). "Smells Like Teen Spirit" topped out at #6 on the Billboard chart, which was actually quite a feat given how many Top 40 stations either outright refused to play it, or restricted it to overnight hours.

That isn't even a comparison. Nirvana fans were incredibly dedicated. I knew many people that cried when Cobain killed himself. Do you really think that any member of Green Day will get that?

le cuckoldry meme xd

Confirmation via repeating integers

probably something by drake

>cried when Cobain allegedly killed himself.
ftfy

The 2000s youth culture is really defined by the rampant consumerism and incredible vapidness brought on by ipods, myspace, cellphones, etc. gaining traction. I'd pick something like confessions by usher as describing the youth culture - trendy, ear grabbing, but with absolutely 0 substance.

The 2010s youth culture in my mind is simultaneously incredibly hedonistic and constantly yearning from approval from their peers, both of which are probably brought on by the even further rise of social media. MBDTF and Take Care by Drake are my nominations.

I was too young during the 90s to really be a part of the youth culture.

>constantly yearning from approval from their peers
Describes pretty much every generation of teenagers, really. As does (and this is a related issue)
>rampant consumerism
At least since the '80s (to some extent, ever since the end of WWII, really).

It was just different stuff. Substitute Walkman for iPod, for instance. And God help you if you wore Reeboks when Nikes were in or vice versa.

This

either this or art angels

this

>remember le nineties XD

This, to be honest with you.

>cutting edge
literally