CS college student, I have about $500 for a new computer. Should i get a laptop or desktop?

CS college student, I have about $500 for a new computer. Should i get a laptop or desktop?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000X-00S56
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332150953245
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232600569876
dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/sys/d/free-removal-of-computers/6482908767.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Get a gf

buy weed and use the computer labs

get a gun and shoot yourself

lmao this

Do you live on campus? For some things at my uni, I need to be on school wifi, and I live offcampus, therefore having a laptop is easier to work with. Also if you're a fag like me and enjoy going other places like coffee shops to do homework besides the bedroom all day long, a laptop is also nice.

Else, desktop is cheaper.

>Also if you're a fag like me and enjoy going other places like coffee shops to do homework besides the bedroom all day long
lmao you're the worst kind of "programmer"

>500 computer

just get an iPad, anything below 800 is garbage

>where you sit determines your programming skill
Go fetch you programming socks pajeet

Laptop for comfy programming (and /gif) in the bedroom

laptop, because you can't afford a desktop.
not now.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000X-00S56
or wait for ryzen apu.
or intel with amd vega.

thank u for ur suggestion but im not looking for a vidya laptop i don't play games much, i know pc is better but and i already have a ps4

Used Thinkpad.
T430
Spend the rest on upgades and drugs

I literally did that, no regrets

Laptop. Your desktop can only be at home (where you usually are not), your laptop is always with you.

Buy pic-related. Price in AUD btw.

*become a neet trap

Pic related ($230 USD @perks) +
BenQ GL Series monitor ($130 USD) +
Leopold FC980M mechanical keyboard ($120 USD) +
Logitech M100 mouse ($10 USD) +
SteelSeries QcK mouse pad ($10 USD)

TOTAL: $500 USD

mac mini

Where the fuck you getting it for 230?

Used Thinkpad

Perks at Work. Check the ThinkPad general thread for the URL and code.

Dell Vostro

>drop all $500 on a massive xerox machine
>double your investment first term by undercutting school prices for printing and copies

doesn't really matter

user, check if you live near a microcenter. They have great laptops there.

If you have to ask, you're not gonna make it. But get a laptop so you can take it to the library. (Don't bother taking it to class.)

desktop/smart phone cybersecurity master race here. i usually use my cell phone to take notes or turn in assignments when i need to at school. modern technology is truly amazing.

thinkpad

this wtf

>I have about $500 for a new computer
lmao buy it used you skub you'll be better off

>Leopold FC980M mechanical keyboard ($120 USD) +

This niggas on a budget and you expect him to pay the same for the god damn keyboard as the monitor?

Buy a used i5 or i7 dell Optiplex from eBay for under $200. You can possibly find it cheaper in your local Craiglist.

Mini Tower (SFF) i5

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332150953245

Tower i5

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232600569876

If you configure them with integrated graphics, 8gb of ram, and windows 7, you can get either of them for just $170 + free shipping.

If you buy a cheap SSD for under $70 and optionally a gtx 1030 or 1050 graphics card, you can have a great multitasking "gaming" PC for under $350. It's probably easier or upgrade to the tower though.

Also if you want to install Windows 10 instead of using Windows 7, you can use the OEM windows 7 product key that comes with the Dell computer after you install it. So you can have a easy legal copy of windows 10 instead of searching for sketchy activators.

I don't even need another desktop computer. It's just fun researching "what-if" budget builds.

This is probably fine. Spend only about $60 to get a 120GB ssd and a sata-usb adapter. You can then set it up with some portable software or just set it up as a bootable medium. You'll be left with $440 to use on something else later down the line. This is assuming your campus computers have decent specs that don't make them horrible to run on.

laptop and put loonix on it unless you are going to need to do windows shit on it for group projects

>all these retards suggesting a desktop
It's like you people have never attended college or something

this exact photo is posted on a craigslist ad in my area for "free removal of computers"

dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/sys/d/free-removal-of-computers/6482908767.html

think its legit?

A gf doesn't cost $500

>CS college student
>can't decide what computer is best for him
just save yourself a lot of time, money, and grief. give up now. you are not going to make it.