/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~pcsx2-team/ archive/ubuntu/pcsx2-daily
github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/wiki/Installing-on-Linux
youtube.com/watch?v=W6wFM7iyj_M
ix.io/w6A
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6277
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEDEE2F7C6750729F
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first

this fucking poettering has made me wait another 5 minutes with his ridiculous start up job timeouts

so that's a "feature" of systemd? No wonder people hate it, I also had to wait 3 minutes when I was trying Debian

Fucking macfag. REEEEEEE

I don't totally hate it (only about 70%) but why the fuck do I have to wait 5 minutes for removing my wlan adapter that is set to auto

Just installed devuan (debian without systemd) and uninstalled pulseaudio. I am now free of Poettering bullshit. Fuck that guy.

Why don't we all just
install GuixSD?

You can use normal Debian without sysd and pulse. No need to resort to devuan.

Is there any perceptible benefit to using Wayland over X11?

Depends on what you are going to do. For normie stuff you shouldn't notice anything.

There is a security benefit but I thought you meant benefits in usability,

You didn't already?

why does everybody say gentoo is a meme?

because i don't want to wait 6 hours for a web browser to compile

Actually I've been waiting for about 3 weeks for fucking Technoethical to even charge my credit card for the USB wireless adapter I ordered from them. Let alone to actually ship it.

I ordered it specifically to use on my laptop with GuixSD. I don't know if I should just keep waiting or if I should try to buy one that will work from some other source.

I want the userbase of that distro to grow. As that statistic grows it shows the number of people who want to make a point.

Gentoo is not a meme. "Install Gentoo" is the meme. The joke being that you tell people to install it even when the situation doesn't call for it at all or tell new users to install it who would probably end up pulling their hair out over it.

But it's a very good, flexible, and stable, distro.

You have to tip toe around updates to make sure it dosent brick your system cause you're not using systemd as it expects you too

honestly hating on gentoo has itself become a meme.

What's the best window manager for hybrid floating/tiling behavior?

And yes, I already know your favorite WM can _technically_ do both, but that's not what I asked so don't get excited.

openbox with tiling scripts or you could Frankenstein awesome or xmonad on top of a floating WM.

Anyone emulating vidya games?
PCSX2 has a git page, but I have no idea how to build it since it's 32bit. There is 1.4 on the apt repos, but I'd like to get a more recent version. Do I need to chroot or something like that?

there is this
launchpad.net/~pcsx2-team/ archive/ubuntu/pcsx2-daily

remember to get the latest graphics driver from a ppa as well if your using a recent amd card

I'm not running Ubuntu though. Debian is pretty close if I'm on Sid, but not everything works that cleanly. I'll go try in a few minutes.

ouch

there is also this
github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/wiki/Installing-on-Linux

best way to configure font in arch?
just editing etc/fonts/local.conf[/local] for changing system font right now

ignore [/local]

That looks neat, I'll try it out first.

>be me
>dual boot win7 with debian
>have 4 primary and one extended (for one logical partition which has outdated(weak connection) windows programs, projects and all my media)
>decide to give arch a try
>download antergos(le minimal version xdd)
>going smooth so far
>select automatic mirror detection
>shit fuck ass cunt takes too long
>restart
>select advanced and select mirrors
>reach the destination installation step
>select advanced to install it on the debian partition
>select it as root and format it
>oh fug no right arrow
>tfw have to pick partitions for swap and boot
>think: 'oh well, I'll just resize my debian partion'
>delet debian
>select free space and click new
>'Sorry but hurr durr 3 primary partions and 1 extended'
>...!?
>click new
>'Sorry but hurr durr 3 primary partions and 1 extended'
>fuck this shit fix using windows.exe
>restart
>tfw grub in rescue mode and no debian
>tfw no exe
>panick mode
>after 2 hours I decide to.. delet logical bsckup partition
>delet logical partion
>delet...
>oh god oh god oh god
>shouldn't have clicked 'delete' but instead just set it as a mount point.. now i have two free space one of which is in the extended
>cry for an extra 2 hours
>recall I still have my windows cd around
>think I can use windows cd to fix bootloader
>repair your computer.. checking windows installations
>not compatible..
>fuck the world mode
>follow install windows steps to use the partitioning step
>fuck all the shit up
>make 3 new volumes among the ashes of every. fucking. thing.
>restart to shitos usb installer
>set all partitions
>right arrow enabled and I continue
>hours later..
>Fetching ffmpeg (175/765)....
>765 packages
>at roughly 35 KiB/s
no backup. no windows. no debian.

Do I need Grub boot loader if I only plan to use one operating system on my machine?

I'm already getting some fuckery with apt. Fuck.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgtk2.0-dev:i386 : Depends: libpango1.0-dev:i386 (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcairo2-dev:i386 (>= 1.6.4-6.1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: python:i386 (>= 2.4) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

i went through something similar trying to compile gedit from source. i eventually gave up

I remember doing a chroot or something like that that gave me a 32bit environment for wine. It ended up working, but it was too long for a newfag like me.

I think screen tearing is fully fixed

You need a bootloader, there is alternative to grub

Strictly speaking, no. You can boot an EFISTUB kernel directly from the BIOS on an EFI enabled motherboard. Though that's really inflexible, and most normie-oriented distros are configured so you pretty much need grub. You could set grub to not bring up the boot menu or cut the timeout down to 1 second so you can still recover from botched kernel upgrades without booting a special recovery system.

>glugluglug
>buuuurrrrrpppp

Guys, i just wanted to tell you, that you're doing great.
Thanks for all the help for all these people over all these years.
Doing god's work for Linux.

It's not, really, and there are tons of ways to fix it in Xorg. Meanwhile, wayland is still insanely buggy and problematic while being incompatible with a ton of programs. Wayland is garbage and should be thrown away, because there is zero advantage to it. Not even its so-called security is really an advantage, because there's still ways around it. The only way to be secure is to run up to date trusted programs, which is very easy to do when you run trusted free software from trusted sources.

So, barring games, Linux is pretty much desktop ready and has been for quite some time already. In you guys' opinion, will WINE ever be as good as native windows for games on Linux?

Wine runs several things better than native windows on my machine.

That's good to know, I've been considering making the transition for Linux for sometime now that Windows 7 is nearing the end of its support life and Windows 10 shows no signs of getting any better.

Why don't more people use smb multichannel? Only just found out about it and got it to work. This shit is fucking glorious many.

youtube.com/watch?v=W6wFM7iyj_M

What calculator do you use?

bc

Was about to post Speedcrunch before seeing the actual image. There is no better choice IMO.

Forgot to post pic

Because they don't have multiple links or use smb enough to care.

I've been using i3 with gnome-session on Debian for awhile and want to know why I should/shouldn't swap it for a KDE equivalent (Plasma?). I've never used KDE before and don't really understand the difference between them outside of the obvious visual interface.

What to add to Exec= to make the Terminal stay open until any key or space/enter is pressed?
like ' read line ' or ' | nano - ' ?

.local/share/applications/ffprobe.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=ffprobe
Exec=/usr/bin/ffprobe "F"
Terminal=true

ikr it [always] gets stuck on reboot when i need a fast [normal] reboot and have to hold down the power button

it is really

ix.io/w6A
.local/share/fonts/

gallium nine

KDE comes with a good set of default applications and is rather polished in comparison to other DEs I've tried.

I'm a gaymerfaggot which is one of a few reasons I haven't switched over to GNU/Linux. I'm increasingly getting sick of Windows but there are some proprietary tools I kind of need like nVidia drivers, Photoshop (GIMP a shit, Krita is a painter not an editor), Discord (friends). Also little quirks of desktop environments piss me off.

Is there any point in switching my desktop to GNU/Linux if I'm just gonna taint it with proprietary garbage?

Sup Sup Forumsuys,

Is it possible to use Ubuntu USB to fix my Windows boot drive letter so it'll boot properly?

Yes,GParted

My SSD has Windows 10 on it and the driver letter was C.

I moved all my components into a new case and think the chance of SATA cable positioning changed the SSD drives letter hence not allowing it to boot.

How do I use GParted to change the letter? I'm missing it.

Links to info are fine too if you have them.

>How do I use GParted to change the letter?
Run GParted and right click on the devices, there is a "change drive letter" option towards the middle.

>nVidia drivers
Works pretty well.
>Photoshop
Ok.
>Discord
It's a fucking browser app, don't be retarded. It will work on anything with relatively modern browser.
>little quirks of desktop environments piss me off
I like KDE more than windows desktop, to be honest. It is not by any means perfect, and some programs have annoying bugs (although they claims that a lot of this was fixed in new release) but it's still much better experience for me overall.

>Is there any point in switching my desktop to GNU/Linux if I'm just gonna taint it with proprietary garbage?
Being a purist isn't a good idea. Besides, you will always need some proprietary component in firmware or some shit to make things work unless you want a shit system that can only open vim or emacs. I don't miss Windows games at all since I have a huge emulation backlog and modern titles are pretty shit.

new i915 graphics drivers apparently? Anyone else get this? Seems random

Why is Lingus Torvald such a dick? In fact, why are most linux guys such dicks?

Because they are not pussies :^)

Guys, how do I turn off my keyboard backlight?

I'm dual booting linux mint with windows 10, and when I boot into inux mint, the blue backlight is on.

Note that it is a RGB keyboard backlight, and it has a tendency to flicker on and off in blue when I start up the computer.

This is the blue that is permanently on when I'm in linux mint. Probably the default color or something.

How do I turn it off?

Wht about rms?

you can invoke the menu even with no timeout by holding shift as grub loads

Discord works on Linux just fine. Don't avoid proprietary stuff to the detriment of your life. Just prefer open sores things when you have a choice.

He's not a Linux guy. He's a GNU/Linux guy :^)

Since I have trouble with Ubuntu LTS (and KDE Neon by extension which is what I wanted to use on my desktop), Fedora and Manjaro, which distro should I try that keeps KDE up to date, without being much trouble to set up?

I considered openSUSE, but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between it and Geckolinux which seems to be essentially openSUSE with all of the shit that I would eventually do to it anyways (like add codecs and good font rendering).

Mine coded in C++

How to fix tearing on Intel HD graphics with xorg? Sadly, tearfree=true is not enough.

Intels integrated graphics are shit by themselves, it probably cant keep up with the DE.

Gecko is fine, but openSUSE + KDE Wallet is a litteral nightmare to maintain because it requires you to type in your passwords for every menial task...twice

Ok

It can be maybe treated depending on which DE you are using. If its Xfce, you cna enable syncing to vertical blank in the compositor etc,etc

I use i3gaps

i3 uses plain X, it doesn't have any pluggins (or none that i know of), to relieve that issue. There might be some third party acceleration/plugin software to mediate that, but i don't know much else

...I think you will be fine if you install a compositor like Compiz and tune it there

I want to move from solus.
Wich one is better: archemerge, bluestar, deepin, reborn ?
I want something fast AND beautiful (not extern os, looks like windows and more bloated)
What would be your utra-modern linux distro ?

KDE Neon with considerable ricing. The defaults aren't out there but some themes and icon packs are modern and not just outright flat boring shit.

Gentoo, Funtoo if you're a hipster, and you sound like one.

Elementary OS

Welcome friend.

Already tried, didn't like it.
No you
I'm lookin at it.

I have no idea what you are talking about, pulseaudio works fine even on systems that don't use SystemD like Slackware... so you just hampered yourself for no reason

How about Netrunner Rolling?

I don't know what is, i will take a look

notabug, WONTFIX github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6277

>It's not, really, and there are tons of ways to fix it in Xorg
I see it you've never used a Wayland session, but you like to pretend that you have and then you also spread some of your superficial, meme knowledge.

Pro-tip: run a Wayland session in the compositor of your choice. You'll see how perfect everything moves. No tearing is just a minor part. The best part is how there are no ugly artefacts when resizing windows, like black backgrounds and everything moves smoothly. That's just ONE minor part of it. I know nothing about the "security" model of it, but neither do you. At least I'm not talking about things I have no idea about.

Thank you user.

This, dont fall for wayland guys.

>Closing as #6300 got merged, and released as part of v234.
I don't have that picture of a retarded Wojak, but this is where I'd use it.

Some people find pulseaudio problematic and feel better off using pure ALSA. I think that is what he meant.

calc, python, wcalc or kcalc

Maxima youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEDEE2F7C6750729F
I prefer the command line version. You can use plplot for graphs too.

Hum i will try Reborn OS, it seems fast, and i will learn some arch stuff, so i will can larp here like an arch user.

I can't decide if I want Debian or Xubuntu.

I want stability, "just werks", and widest possible support for proprietary software. That last point alone I think limits me to Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is definitely most widely supported and just werks.
But Debian is less bloat and less of a walled garden.

Is Debian testing the equivalent to non-LTS buntu? Does that solve the old packages issue or will I still have trouble installing proprietary things like Spotify and Steam? Ubuntu may just be easier at this stage.

Can you still install Ubuntu by just running the exe in Windows, or do you need to transfer to a usb?
I'm lazy

You copy the installation files to a medium you boot from.