Car companies are preparing to sell driver data to the highest bidder

arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/no-one-has-a-clue-whats-happening-with-their-connected-cars-data/

>tfw the botnet wants me to take the bus

Other urls found in this thread:

events.ccc.de/congress/2014/Fahrplan/events/6265.html
media.ccc.de/v/31c3_-_6265_-_en_-_saal_6_-_201412281600_-_the_automobile_as_massive_data_gathering_source_and_the_consequences_for_individual_privacy_-_jimmy_schulz_-_dr_rudiger_hanig
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>implying the bus isn't tracking which routes you take
>tfw the botnet wants me to walk

>all_so_tiresome.jpg

heh

Jokes on them, I drive a '96 Renault and have no plans on giving it up

>2018
>driving a car that's connected to the botnet but not the road

I would be ashamed to drive such a gay piece of shit

I could forsee insurance agencies making you use those tracker things you plug into your car. Then take that info and sell it off.

If you decline or dont have a working port they would charge you a higher premium.

it's faster than your bus

I don't own a bus

So people will move to insurance companies that both do not force the devices and do not charge a premium. There's clearly a good reason why it has not been done already.

>Oyster card
>KeyCard
>No entry on bus if you don't pay with contactless card or OysterCard/KeyCard
Us britbongs are fucked

>Londonistan
Get fucked

nah man if theres money on the table then companies will move towards it. Its just a matter of time.

depends on the state as well though (if you live in the usa)
massachusetts in particularly still has a state-regulated auto insurance system that doesn't let providers compete with each other and the state sets rates, numerous big providers refuse to do business here so less telemetry for george soros botnet

My car is pre-OBDII so that won't work.

This guy gets it

CCTV botnet tracks where you walk

Don't leave the house.

bet your anus tesla is going to do this with their skynet OS in all their cars.

This shit is so old news it pains me.

I remember sitting at a conference in late 2014 where they talked about this.

>inb4 someone calls bullshit
>events.ccc.de/congress/2014/Fahrplan/events/6265.html
>lecture: The automobile as massive data gathering source and the consequences for individual privacy

underrated kek

>no bread on hood

>Old style WAT and supereuropebeat stickers

What a faggot.

Nigger it's cold outside

Then they know where you are, user

Can't track me if I never leave the house.

thanks for link

found the vid here

media.ccc.de/v/31c3_-_6265_-_en_-_saal_6_-_201412281600_-_the_automobile_as_massive_data_gathering_source_and_the_consequences_for_individual_privacy_-_jimmy_schulz_-_dr_rudiger_hanig

Or the state, when they don't get enough gas taxes

let's get specific. what data are recorded and transmitted? here's what i can think of:

- the start point and end point of your trip
- your route
- technical status of the car's systems: oil temp, rpm, airbag deployment, etc.
- speed
- acceleration
- driver's identity
- comms from car: calendar, phone calls, sms, email, etc

what did i miss?

>the car manufacturer collects data using various sensors in the car
>same goes for the various other companies that have their apps installed
>the wireless service provider gathers location data and other data based on the metadata about your vehicle's connection to their towers (same with your phone)
>ALPRs on police cars, vehicles belonging to private companies, and mounted in fixed locations collect and store your location data based on where your licenses plate was seen
>your location data is also collected if you pass a fixed antennas for checking electronic toll road passes, and a good portion of those antennas aren't even on toll roads
It's just a big overlapping web of shit.

Reminder that the possibility of higher insurance premiums for people who refuse to embrace whatever new technology is being pushed at the time can be remedied by riding a motorcycle.

A 2001-model car is going to be old enough to not have this shit, yes?

I'm sorry sir, your vehicle is illegal, it hasn't got the government mandated connected security and safety features, and it can't even drive itself.

If the car has microphones - i guess if you are paranoid it's not unfeasible for it to constantly record, or have keywords.

It's already cheaper for me to pay no insurance tickets than it is to pay for insurance, this won't change anything.

Most 2012 cars will be old enough to not have this shit. Just steer clear of satelite radio, air play, etc.

How much are no insurance tickets?

>kikestechnica

Number of passengers, and within a reasonable margin of error weight of each passenger.
Currently used by cars to determine whether a seat is "occupied" for seatbelt indicator.

>mfw the only thing the cpu in my car manages is the engine

>ride a le rebelious shitbox
>HAHA TAKE THAT GOVNMNT!
>they track your license plate with traffic cameras

oh well

FOSS firmware for car now! Any user have links?

>Currently used by cars to determine whether a seat is "occupied" for seatbelt indicator.
Thats not the reason seats have pressure sensors. Its for air bags. Air bags are expensive to replace, and setting them off needlessly in an accident only ensures a car will be totaled. Also airbags are good at killing babys. The seat belt indicators were only added later.

>driving a botnetmobile

>t. virgin

>The only reason you would not want your car to track your every move and send your information to the highest bidder is because you don't want the government giving you speed tickets

There is only one freedom vehicle

user, that's some gay shit. Here's a real man's bicycle.

the age of the GNU/Car is here

Datsun 120Y forever.

that looks more like game piece from Monopoly: Deluxe Edition than something that has ever seen road

bikefags do more to damage the reputation of bicycling than Stallman being autistic does to the reputation of free software.

They're actually quite common where I live. Mostly kids who would have been skaters if they were born a decade earlier. I can't imagine they're very comfortable, but hey, it gets them the attention they crave.
I don't care about the reputation of bicycling, because everyone around here will keep using them anyway. (Netherlands)

Nice toy nigger

Riding that in a forest? Boy, you don't know a thing about bicycles, do you? There's a frame and tire for every condition, you can't use a race bike as a general purpose bike. If you need to go off-road, take this.

>dura ace

muh dick

bike haters are intellectually inferior subhumans.

i have a car, a liter bike, and a road bicycle. if you don't have all three you really can't talk shit.

Have you never heard of cyclocross before?

i've got one, just as it saved me £500, google and my cell carrier already do it so whats the harm of having one more company sell my location.

Motorcycles sound dangerous.

That's just as bad as for off-road you soy drinking hipster cunt.

29er or go home.

Nice bike. That's actually what I tried to post, but I just picked the flashiest thumbnail which happened to be a children's bike with "street" on the side.

Nice Huffy Davidson you got there

I was poor once, it sucked but there are ways out that don't leave you commuting to work on children's toys

>children's toys
You're just mad that children still have the stamina to ride a bike, lardass.

-healthy
-quick and quiet
-easy maintenance
-no fuel needed
-compact
-suitable for all ages
-crashes are relatively harmless due to lightweight design

What you're listening to. Could get fired these days if they found out I listen to XM Patriot sometimes.

I had to add a special rule on my rss aggregator to trash all articles written by this bitch

It's not even a SJW matter she just can't write for shit and even borders on self-promotion at times

>buying any car post 2011 model

It's like you wanna be apart of the road botnet.

>be me
>cop
>-$1 per record
>+$200 per ticket
>easy money

hahahahah
This is gonna be great.
I'll have budget for new tanks.

>cops
>tanks

Welcome to America!