/wt/ Watch Thread: Spring Drive Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of Spring Drives, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other perfect sweep timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=BNfRAXPd2e4

youtube.com/watch?v=Yavx9yxTrsw

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/GRAND-SEIKO-DIVER-SBGA029-SPRING-DRIVE-NEW-IN-BOX-STAINLESS-5700-00-RETAIL-NEW/132485915241?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
youtube.com/watch?v=39OaO3PPozo
youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yxc7EviQ
hodinkee.com/articles/hodinkee-meet-up-watches-and-wonders-miami-2018-photo-report
wiki.epfl.ch/polymac/documents/hpm-en.pdf
ebay.com/itm/Fifty-Five-Fathoms-FFF-SNZH60-7s26-AR-Sapphire-Crystal-Sailcloth-Strap/332558590558
ebay.com/itm/Rare-Swiss-Made-Omega-Dynamic-III-Automatic-Military-Mens-Watch-Cal-1108-WOW-/292446691448?hash=item44172e6078
seikoclocks.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can anyone tell me what is so great about the Spring Drive?

Is this a good price for one NIB?

Could I get my money back selling it used if I don't like it?

ebay.com/itm/GRAND-SEIKO-DIVER-SBGA029-SPRING-DRIVE-NEW-IN-BOX-STAINLESS-5700-00-RETAIL-NEW/132485915241?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

>Age Group: ADULT OR RICH KID
ok i lol'd a bit.

high accuracy and the movement is hypnotic
youtube.com/watch?v=39OaO3PPozo
sort of a meme since it's mechanical quartz hybrid but i still want one

Sometimes I want a Breitling Emergency just so I can tell people not to touch the antenna because the coast guard will come.

nice

why do they make it run off a spring? Why not just make it all electric if they are using quartz anyway?

watch this little video youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yxc7EviQ

One answer is that it solves the problem of needing battery changes. Another is that it's simply a very cool movement technology that only two companies have done at this point.

besides seiko who makes spring drive?

No one. Though you could argue that one piaget movement works in a similar way.

Piaget 700p is basically the same tech as spring drive.

reposted cuz im stupid.

>slow day at the shop
>looking through old watches we have floating around to fix and sell
>see a version of pic related in our seiko scrap drawer
>shit. hi beat king seikos fully serviced go for around 500. gonna see how much it goes for then service it
>30 fucking dollars
>throw it back in the junk pile

we'll work on anything requested to us, but when we charge like 8 times the value to service something worth no more than a standard vintage seiko 5 and thats super sensitive due to its hi beat rate, you can understand why im not happy to see it.

it sucks though. i hate ladies watches because they're usually a gold plated case littered with fake diamonds and a shit quartz movement. i guess brands figured out women dont care as long as it looks shiny. these seikos have a lot of effort put into them for a roastie watch, yet no one wants them.

hodinkee.com/articles/hodinkee-meet-up-watches-and-wonders-miami-2018-photo-report

>tfw too hideous to attend a hodinkee watch meetup

I never found anything about that Piaget apart from the press release announcing its release. No technical details or anything. Do you know how the movement works?

Yeah, even the Grand Seiko 19xx models can be had for $300 if you are patient. Like I said last thread though, your watchmaker will hate you. No one wants to work on a 36,000 bph movement this small.

>$300 Grand Seiko

im gonna transition so i can wear a 300$ grand seiko

A-anons please

I haven't found a lot of specifics outside of the hodinkee article, but the paper that it links is a very good read.
wiki.epfl.ch/polymac/documents/hpm-en.pdf

You were not lying, that is in mint condition!
Chances of finding one with similar condition are very slim.

if it's not a sapphire crystal just use polywatch and buff it.

Decide for yourself.

So it's exactly the same thing as spring drive, then. Interesting.

What do you mean, "concerned?" They're fucking scratches, your watch is going to get them eventually. They aren't even bad if you can barely see them, what the fuck are you so worried about?

this
and what the fuck is being concerned going to do, anyway?

I own pic related. Bought it for $75 a few years ago and wear it all the time. Mine is a little scratched here and there from wearing it to work all the time.

The face turns on with a blue glow when I press the right knob.

cool story

Thanks! I might tell it again later.

> too hideous
you, your watches or both?

The MM300 is much nicer aesthetically IMHO.

What has dimitri brought me today?

>The face turns on with a blue glow when I press the right knob
that's what she said

Is this user here ?
How much did you get the Seiko 5 SNK803 (beige dial top left watch) for? You interested in selling it?

Not him, but I got mine on Amazon (sold by them) for $36.00 last June

Welp, here goes nothing.

what price user? Don't leave us hanging

how do you find it? Interested in selling?

sarb bros are all gonna make it

Ordered an 035 this morning after I saw that post from Seiya. Was going to wait until next month, but Christmas is coming early, I guess

tfw wristlet

>how do you find it? Interested in selling?
I had it sitting in my cart for a long time after I bought an 809, which I paid $60 for, and when it dropped so low I just said fuck it. And no, not selling it. Jomashop always has them for $60 and I think that's exactly what they're worth

what cheap casio would you guys recommend for an user with less than 50 euros to spend on a watch? Something like pic related is really interested. I already have the silver classic one and I love it.

£240, it certainly seems too good to be true but it's eBay and the seller has a good reputation on the usual forums
Exactly why I've bought mine, it's always been a watch I've wanted to buy (but have put off) and learning they're being discontinued gave me the fear. My reasoning is that it's an "investment".

a500wa
calculator watch in gold

find a 50m WR Illuminator model, material color doesn't really matter because they are all mostly plastic or resin.

A slavshitter :^)

Every time I see a new Lange watch it just makes me sad knowing I'll never be able to afford one.

t.poorfag

The only good looking A. Lange is pic related and its variants

Good choice user, it is one of my better watches.

Damn! I've never like the Lange 1's before but that looks amazing.

that's pretty

motherfucker you loaded. Isn't that like 18 grands USD?

also, is it true that the seconds hand aligns perfectly with the seconds marker on the dial?

used, maybe

That's their newest Ref 414.028 model. More like $50k+

That's only been out for around 1 year. Used isn't going to be much cheaper.

yeah, but you can find older 1815 chronometers for around 20k used

no, I take that back...

You sure? They all look to be at least 40k on Chrono.

I searched chronometer instead of chronograph.

fuck bros was on the fence about the 035 and was going to instead save for a GS SBGX063. But the discontinue changes things.

save for the SBGV005 instead

It is wave dial Wednesday

It's just a case of the fox and the grapes but I'm kinda glad I can't afford one (though not really), I'd love a Zeitwerk but I'm a wristlet so it would look ridiculous on me, and it not being a 24 hour digital display would always bug me.

Can't get behind the larger size despite the case design being superior.

Save for the watch you really want. I'm a poorfag so even buying a SARB at very short notice is a massive indulgence for me, but it's what I really want.

You guys know of anything like this where the city names are changeable? I only need 4 cities. Seiko has a nice one but it uses analog dials and I want digital

There are 39mm (and smaller) GS's you know.

Based Dimitri

The movement in that paper is, basically. I don't actually have hard evidence that's the mechanism used in the 700p but I suspect so.

I think this band matches well.

how do i meet cute watch boys

I look like Wojak

Seiko booth at baselworld

I just saw this and bid on it on Ebay, isn't this a watch one of you guys made and posted a couple weeks back lmao?

ebay.com/itm/Fifty-Five-Fathoms-FFF-SNZH60-7s26-AR-Sapphire-Crystal-Sailcloth-Strap/332558590558

>Department Store watch

How accurate have you guys gotten your Amphibias? Love the look but if I can't get it to less than five seconds a day off it'll drive me fucking nuts.

I can't get over how horrendous these look.

Got a terrorist watch for the memes. Kinda like it for 15 maple bucks.

Going to treat myself to a seiko skx soon, probably. Maybe a Sarb.

Ohhh Banana

Omega Dynamic III
Finished 2892-A2
ebay.com/itm/Rare-Swiss-Made-Omega-Dynamic-III-Automatic-Military-Mens-Watch-Cal-1108-WOW-/292446691448?hash=item44172e6078
Interesting? I rarely see non-chrono Dynamics around for sale.

Mine runs for 4 weeks and is around half a minute plus. Its extremely accurate out of the factory but I have to say it was basically pure luck. You can't really tell how good it runs because the seconds hand is always stopping when you move the watch to fast its indirectly driven.

>g shock Twitter account
>under every single tweet there's the same guy begging them to make a smart watch
Do you think they should "go with the times" as well and make a smartwatch?

I would argue that already do make smart watches. Just not the fuckboy kind apple make.

Yeah, they just announced one with built in GPS navigation
And they have a ProTrek Android Wear, but as expected the battery life is ass

Are there any Seiko watches that look similar to this?

Not a Seiko but if you are asking in regards to cheaper price Hamilton makes a chrono similar for a decent price

Any good perfect sweep wall clocks?

>lets write flieger all over it

Fucking sinn dogshit. Never understood the hype. its like what nomos is for reddit, i guess.

>inb4 some sinn fag comes in crying about their "unnuvashon"

Seiko sell hundreds of styles of wall clocks with sweeping seconds hands.

Oh wow they have their own website
seikoclocks.com

Those are expensive as fuck, you can find decent ones on Amazon for $20. If they’re loud just tape something muffling on the back of it.

Hamiltons are overpriced for what they are.

Nice watch

Planning to get one when I visit Japan during summer, can't decide if i should get 033 or 035

My brother gave me his skx007 about a month ago.

ive only ever owned an citizen ecodrive before.

is it normal for the watch to be about 10 mins behind every week? it seems like its behind by a minute everyday.

are automatic watches a meme or should I just go get one of those solar Seiko divers everyone here is shilling