Why can't Microsoft do UI design anymore? Have they completely given up...

why can't Microsoft do UI design anymore? Have they completely given up? i don't even know what to make of this mess anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Looks like fragmented teams with leadership that only care about making their own independent reputations. Such is modern

Post the screencap of the chat log regarding W10

After Windows 7 was released, they outsourced to pajeets.

You forgot the parts of Win7 UI that haven't been ported over like old control panel

shit like this never would have happened in the gates era.

Anymore? They haven't been able to do good UI design for two fucking decades.

you need to leave.

But he can't find the close window button because the icon is inconsistent nowadays.

Thanks. This is the part I was looking for specifically, the first section of it. Explains a lot

maybe Polaris will fix some of this eye cancer

doubt it. the fall creators update was supposed to be and i quote "A big UI overhaul" when in reality all they did was add a frosted glass effect to the calender and notifcation center.

But the managed kernel is a really neat idea t b h
Microsoft-kun is a retard for calling it "insanely dumb"

post a better desktop go

No design after those desktops has been better.

in what way is that better? You don't need all those shortcuts, winkey + type + enter is better. so 99% of that is clutter. the rest is just transparency(a dead ui meme- we frosted glass now), and a w o r s e l o o k i n g start menu

Tbf, vista had the best icons.

Those fonts without AA are so god damn good.
ReactOS is the way to be... But not on fucking NT kernel.

Consistency

pajeet shit

Юля, TITSOGTFO

Sauce on the wallpaper please?

Sure ^^

Thx

>he doesn't use screen magnifier on a daily baisis

It was when they 'introduced' fluent design, but it hasn't made its way to all of the (modern parts of the) OS yet. Next update brings it to the taskbar, settings and edge.

What gets me about Windows 10 isn't the massive inconsistencies, legacy elements, lack of develop support in their store, spying or the start menu, it's simply how slow updates are being done and how poorly focused they are.

>Introduce a new design language
>Slowly dripfeed it into the OS over year

>Introduce a useless 'my people feature'
>No users or developers use or support it

>Only new feature next update is 'timeline'

You'd think with the power behind MS within a couple years they'd have been able to update a lot of the legacy parts of the OS that the standard user uses daily, control panel, file explorer, notepad, sound mixer etc. to their modern platforms and design language. You'd think they'd be able to add useful features like customising the start menu tiles and icons, you think they'd be able to curate their store better and encourage more developers onto their platform, but no, and the reason is most likely this:

I'm glad this is pointed out by others. Windows 10 is a mish mash of loads of different shite and it has no idea what it wants to be.
Half of the things you want to do will take you to some shitty metro "app", the other half will be just as you remember on previous Windows. Nothing's coherent, it feels like they just threw a few ideas in and left it at that.

It's honestly baffling they've managed to make such a mess and yet no one really seems to call them out on it. The masses generally seem happy with W10.

Windows has just gotten way too big and nobody fully grasps it anymore. And then I don't think anybody who works at Microsoft is truly passionate about Windows, so it just gets glued together with a million "good enough" patches because nobody really cares. So then you end up in that situation where even simple things are behind impossible hoops

tfw only barely managing to stem the tide of shitty modern UI until 2020

The old controls work better despite having older UI.

Because they fired their UX/UI teams which resulted in Windows XP through 7 which all looked like absolute fucking shit.

well the average windows user is just a normie anyway. they probably don't even install software anymore. i imagine the normie only clicks on the start icon to find the web browser and then he uses that to go to facebook or amazon or reddit and that's basically the extent of his interaction with it.

The average Windows user is an office worker

to be fonest?

I don't know, I like different styles for different context.

all the people they copy from have either died or gone out of business. They have no more source material.

>Not enabling Smooth edges of screen fonts

>ARM only
>UWP only
>More cloud-botnet integration

Even if it looks better, you probably don't want it anyways.

>ReactOS is the way to be... But not on fucking NT kernel.
But being an NT kernel is the whole point of ReactOS. If you take that out, what do you even have left except Wine?

This is not new. The inconsistent UI started on Windows with XP. If you open the Windows folder inside your Local Disk on 7 and analyze its content, you will notice a few programs and applications that still retain their old icons dated back to W98 and W2000 that hasn't been updated yet to fit the modern design.

Although of this, I get what you're complaining. On any Windows before 8, they at least hid the old icons to make sure the normal user don't find anything inconsistent on the front-end plane.

>The masses generally seem happy with W10.
They're not happy, they're just normies and have no idea how to deal with a company forcing it on them, and don't have the time/energy to install a different OS. As says most people use their computer to watch netflix, browse their social media, and maybe play some video games on steam or the windows store. That's it.

It was mind-blowing realizing I'm one of the only ones running an ad-blocker in my browser among like 90% of users, or using a non-standard browser for my phone to do the same.

Windows 10 doesn't have to work or be coherent, it just has to be able to run the third-party software normies want to use and not consistently break.(which is why there is actual anger over the update-and-break system)

The answer is simple. They cannot afford to do it. As every ricer knows, the more you mess with the GUI the more bugs you create. Operating swystems may be toys to neets and other children but to the adults who work for a living all they want at work is functionality, they arent really interested in shoving their heads up their own arse just to impress their social network. They need functional computer desktops not a computer rose scented gay palace

This really puts everything into perspective.

The perfect combination of Windows 7 and 8 already existed, it was called Windows 7 and you can't use it without getting popups on a modern CPU anymore.

>mfw use Win10 at work
Fuck, I hate it. I use Ubuntu derivatives at home on my machines. I can't turn off Cortana in the settings 100%, and even though I set the jump lists on the task bar to not save history, they still do.

Not only that, but the "friendly" informal text which describes buttons and menus is retarded.

if no one understands it all then it doesn't even really matter if they care or not
what might be a bigger issue is they're all lacking the time, the patience, the skill, the manpower, the in-depth knowledge, or the permission to throw out and rewrite subsystems like UI and control panels and APIs for networking and input devices and whatever else, let alone the whole OS

>Not only that, but the "friendly" informal text which describes buttons and menus is retarded.
what do you mean?

Yep, this makes total sense. Pic related sums up my experience with windows 10 nicely. I opened my surface book 2 on the plane to find the battery drained to 30% because it chose THIS ONE TIME not to go into sleep mode despite the lid closed for several hours. Night light mode was turned on, the control grayed out, and could not be turned off.

$3000 was an expensive way to discover that MS is more full of shit in 2018 than a pajeet designated street.

Open the settings "app" and read the descriptions above buttons and at top of menus.

"We'll perform this action for you, it's cool and will be awesome!"

"Don't worry, your computer is updating and stuff! Don't press that power button, k?"

this one? I looked around and I don't see anything odd in the text
that does sound kind of familiar though, maybe they rewrote it

Normies are more retarded than you can possibly imagine.

nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/

They can't throw out the old code or legacy programs stop working. Every time some popular legacy program stops working people move it into a VM or WINE and there goes one more thing keeping them tied to Windows.

fuck@you:~$

It's dumb given that "managed" means "VM and GCd". Memory safe kernels are neat and Redox pulled it off. It's basically just Macroshart's poor choice of programming language that doomed the project.

I forgot, there's that too
and yet they also break a good bit of compatibility with each version and even each service pack
I'd like to be cynical and say it shows how badly written it's been from the beginning, but I don't know, I feel like there's more to it besides good code vs. bad code and the sheer size of the thing

>:(

You're making shit up again user

It's inevitable. Microsoft's two business goals of constantly adding new features and APIs on the one hand and ironclad backwards compatibility on the other were always in conflict and were always going to lead to horrific code like we see now. Stretching that compatibility back over almost 25 years of Win32 is reaching the breaking point.

XP and 7 with the classic theme.

Can MS split Windows into two streams? Windows 'Legacy' for old shit that just needs to work and never gets updates (essentially XP with minor enhancements), then regular Windows 10 for the FB/gaming crowd?

user....this is beautiful

It's god like compared to win8

A cool UI..

Ubuntu is the windows of Linux though

They tried with LTSB. Too little, too late.

Literally the purpose of Windows 10 S.

>S
>no native binary access
>"""gaming"""

They would be better off just open-sourcing all versions of Windows and letting people make their own distributions of it as long as they publish the code changes.

This would eventually spawn a community-driven mashup of all the good bits from Windows 95 through to 10.

What's even better is, if those become more popular and useful than the official distribution that Microsoft continues to work on, they can easily merge that back in.

You're not wrong but 9/10 users would never even see the icons of said programs. Tbh I don't even have an idea what 'twunk_32' is or does.
I can see why the icons of these programs are very low-priority.
Front-end looks >>>> back-end looks.
Windows is a pile of shit these days but let's be fair shall we?

How does Debian folks do it lads?

DFSG and maintainers. If a package isn't open source and can't be rebuilt or patched, it gets exiled to nonfree or dropped. If a package lacks a maintainer that understands it enough to package it and fix basic source issues, it gets dropped. This ensures that everything in Debian main works well, can be recompiled when libraries change and respects the user.

Pajeet is in charge.
Windows is a street of shit now.

That would lose them billions of dollars a year. Windows will be open sourced about a week after it stops being profitable.

Yeah that's true. Do you think they would still make much from the convenience of it being bundled with machines, especially tablets?
I thought they were pretty much set in terms of funding since it has a separate version for mil and govt.

No. The OEM bulk rate per license is low but not zero. That's the Rubicon we have to cross.

They gave up around 2002

Underrated comment.

ummm...
you recall he was the chief software architect for Windows Vista, and you saw how that turned out... all glitter and shine, no substance (basically shit performance)
ironically windows 8 was the reverse. fast under the surface, but unusable interface.

early aqua wasn't bad

>128 gb RAM
user wt..
>YULIYA-PC
Well hello there

Early Aqua was tacky as facky. It only become tasteful around Leopard, when they ditched the pinstripe and gloss, and transitioned to subtler gradients and flatter icons.

Post the wallpaper, senpai.

best thing i can figure out is they designed it for touch but then touch never took off like they thought it would so now they are stuck trying to adapt it for desktop use.

Do you have any idea how insecure XP was?

>enabling smearing and/or rainbowfication of fonts

Maybe not in settings app but god, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is annoyed with that shit. This might not be as noticeable if you use your computer only for fun but if you try to do any real, serious work it's just annoying and off-putting. I wish this trend would just die.

Doesn't look good on classic theme.

> Those fonts without AA are so god damn good.
It's a shame it doesn't work on modern fonts

Font rendering on Windows is some nonsense. I can't ever justify it. The only way in which reading shit gets comfortable enough is by making everything look so big that you can barely fit the fucking browser in there.

w10 is for nu-soycucklets

To be frank?

Dark theme should be dark grey, this is ugly as fuck.

I'm trying Windows 10 right now, is this a bug? It's showing a whole description instead of just "Troubleshooting".

It's a software patch for a wetware bug. Their users are too dumb to understand "troubleshooting."

you forgot to throw bugmen into your salt right bingo

>We're got an update for you!

>anymore
They just managed the bare minimum in the past.