/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx7s-dac-and-headphone-amp.2378/
amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Headphone-Gold-Plated-Accessories/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519447233&sr=8-3&keywords=monoprice headphones
youtube.com/watch?v=i8KWmilMWU0
support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210708269-What-impedance-headphones-should-I-use-with-my-audio-interface-
twitter.com/AnonBabble

buy Schiit amp: receive shit amp
buy Schiit dac: receive shit dac

Listen here you fucking mook all you gotta do is stop being all fagy and shit and you'll be fine. Sell the yggy too

buy TOPPING dac: receive best dac

chinks win

JDS Labs OLDAC
JDS Labs CUSTOM o2
Bottle headcrack + speedball
HD800
LCD2C

Almost all american. You don't have to buy schiit! Plenty of lovely alternatives.

I like JDS a lot. I've emailed them a few autistic questions and Seaber answers them in a nice way and even on the weekends.

the fact that they just sell what does a good job instead of snake oil is a plus too.

You could say they're... "topping" Schiit.

Why do all these headphone general threads keep having foot fetishist anime pictures? It's like all of them have that

What should I replace the yggy with? I wasn't aware it measured poorly in the first place. Links?

LCD-2C or Elear for classical music and which one is more comfortable for a glasses wearer?

it measures about as good as a behringer 204hd ($60) or topping d30 ($110). you got punked

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/

You can literally replace it with less than $200 chifi. it is pure snake oil.

elear apparently gives people hotspots with the headband. lcd-2c is meh. stax or hd800 would be better for you

I mean I'm happy with it but I'm open to trying out something else for less. Do any of these dacs have balanced out? And I'm not really concerned about getting "ripped off" the resale value for schiit stuff is very high. I can get about 80% what I paid for it because I got the "analog 2" upgrade.

>balanced out
for what purpose?

used HD800 and SDR mod it

>thinking you need balanced anything
please deprogram yourself from the snake oiling. this is what Schiit does to your brain.

You've got the wrong idea. It's just the rest of my system is already balanced. Why not just keep it balanced? It's not like I got my amp and preamp based on wether it was balanced or not.

>It's not like I got my amp and preamp based on wether it was balanced or not.
I don't believe you.

Topping DX7s has it. 2x Saber 9038. The amp in it isn't so good, but you can use the unit as a DAC only I believe

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx7s-dac-and-headphone-amp.2378/

what about regular lcd-2? are they comfortable with glasses?

I mean that's okay. I got a really good deal on a second hand pass labs amp. I didn't even know it was balanced or not before I did the research.

Honestly I'm a bit of a brainlet when it comes to how measurements in audio gear work. I just trust my ears. But I was told over and over that measurements don't actually matter when it comes to how source gear sounds. Why is that? Educate me senpai

>Budget
100$
>Location
USA
>Source
PC & Phone
>Size
IEMs
>Comfort
I prefer IEMs with rubber tips, unlike Airpods.
>Signature
Bassy, V-Shaped, or Neutral

no. audeze has a very tight clamp. they require a perfect seal and not only do glasses prevent the seal it will make it more painful. go for something that is ported like the recent lambdas (L300, L700, L300LE) or go for an hd800 which already has velour pads and both will be much much much better for classical than either the elear or an audeze

I'm gonna read this website a bunch. Amir seems pretty cool I talked with him in PM on head-fi in the past back Shri I didn't realize who he even was.

>But I was told over and over that measurements don't actually matter when it comes to how source gear sounds. Why is that? Educate me senpai

because headfi and SBAF shills who get emotionally invested in their lackluster purchases get upset, which is why people who called out the schiit meme like amirm and NwAvguy (pbuh) are so hated there. Don't be like them.

>HD800
>not HD600, the best headphones in the world

>I mean that's okay
you got that fucking straight atleast. I believe very little of what you say considering you first came in here to troll with your fake yggy purchase advice and trigger people, then buying even though people told you not to. now you have to face the fact that it measures like ass for the price. as far as I'm concerned you are a troll who doesn't deserve to be trusted, and it's not like you listen either.
>making friends
what a load of horse shit

Truce? :o live and let learn, user... Live and let learn.

Current headphone:

>amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Headphone-Gold-Plated-Accessories/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519447233&sr=8-3&keywords=monoprice headphones

Seeing how you guys shill for overpriced shit, just how good are expensive headphones? Like, what was your first reaction when you tried some expesive headphones for the first time??

respect and trust is earned

I'm happy with the yggy but after realizing I can get $3k for it I'm thinking I should at least TRY one of these cheaper dacs than measure the same if not better. I've never once felt like I was tricked or hoodwinked into buying snake oil. I knew before I bought what I was getting into. I mean at least I'm actually listening to advice now. Try doing that to sbaf or headfi shills that you seem to think everyone falls into who doesn't own anything.

When I upgraded from SHP 9500s to X2/27
>Wow, there are a lot of details I was missing
>Wow, this thing actually has bass and low end, this sounds great

Doesn't own anything on your list *

>I've never once felt like I was tricked or hoodwinked into buying snake oil
something something the best kind of mark

Still, kinda scared to blow half my paycheck on an HD600 + an amp.

Probably going to do it tho, I'm tired of buying a 20 dollar monoprice every 2 years because the plastic start breaking apart.

Have you done the research and confirmed you want the HD600s?

You're learning three of the most important lessons in audio: A. That as long as it makes you happy, that's all that matters
B. Cost does not necessarily equate with quality, and you may find that what makes you happiest can cost very little
C. There are cults of personality of ALL stripes in this hobby, and it's up to you to decide for yourself what is snake oil and what isn't. Measurements are a good indicator of what is and isn't worth your time and money, but again (see A.) what matters is what YOU like, since you shouldn't be qualifying your purchases significantly based on what others think.

user if you're jumping straight to a combo you might as well get a stax srs-3100

Okay. I hope I can earn your favour...one day maybe, fellow user

10 ohm oi is not the end of the world. PLus the dac is actually incredible, two of the best chip sabre has and measures like a couple thousand dollar unit.
I use planars(flat impedance, oi doesnt matter) and high impedance headphones but if the amp is a problem I'm planning to just buy a o2 or something and use the dx7 as the dac.
If you actually read amir's review it's a really good unit. I feel much better buying it than a nfb11.28 that we know fuck all about.

I tried to be nice but fuck off faggot

this is why you have no friends

yeah maybe. I'm the one you wanted to exchange emails+steam with but good fucking luck

But you guys are praising the h600 like the second coming of Jesus Christ. Why shout I don't go for it?

Or is it just a meme, please tell me I just didn't almost fall for a meme.

The 800 has bass though

No, I have never praised the HD600. In fact, I'm waiting on HD 6xx right now, I don't even know how they sound yet.

srs-3100 is just a lot better for a little bit more. hd600 is good for the price, stax is just way better for price performance. hd600 gets hated on because it's normie tier and people take the shilling too far

What do u guys think of the SH440?

>All of /hpg/ is a hivemind
I know that it can FEEL like that, but it isn't so. Don't get the HD600 if you don't want mids front and center with rolled-off bass and an intimate soundstage. Do get it if you want great clarity and solid, fairly neutral open cans.

Is there anything I can do to get in your good graces :>

Meant to reply to this.

Post about headphones and your setup like a normal human being? I mean, if you're just looking to make friends to add on Steam and LARP or circlejerk with, there are better generals and boards to do so.

show us those hairy feet

It has the best balance of bass/mids/treble of any full sized headphone.

[Citation needed]

Well I don't actually own any headphones yet, tho I do want some. Hd600 will be the first pair I get.

Gross and I'm pretty sure if I did it would blowback worse on me than anything I've ever done online lol. I have nice feet tho, definitely not hairy....

>I did it would blowback worse on me
why?

user, stop the shilling right this instant! Sub-bass is lacking and mid-bass tends to muddy sound up. Mids, I can believe; they've somewhat A-shaped headphones. Treble is rolled off too, and honestly, Shure headphones do them better, imo

The HD600 is a fine pair to start with, although you will likely want an amp to drive them with (assuming that you don't already have one). Something simple like the Fiio e10k, Origen G2 or JDLabs O2 would be fine.

>24,000 leaf monopoly monies for that 'loud speaker'
What the fuck, that's not a subwoofer? If you can afford that, just throw money at HD600s, or whatever the fuck you want. Stax, Phillips, you name it.

they are the most neutral sounding headphones
bass mids and treble sound equally loud
this makes them the best you can buy

Can you explain these terms? I only understood bass (didn't understand what you meant by rolled-off.)

post feet

What figure is that? Is that Launch?

Anyone?

tfz-5s

Thanks!

you can show your appreciation for recommendations by posting anime feet

'Rolled off bass' means that as it gets lower in the frequency response, the volume gets quieter (relative to the volume of the rest of the range produced by the headphone) so that they don't seem to put out as much bass as they do in the mid or high ranges. Rolled off treble is the same thing on the high end (the higher the frequency range, the quieter it is relative to the rest of the ranges). It's not inherently BAD per se, but if you want more bass presence, then you certainly don't want something with rolled off bass.
An intimate soundstage means that instruments and voices sound relatively close to you (on the HD600, maybe out to your shoulders). This isn't to be confused with separation (how distinct each instrument is from each other), or imaging (which direction you perceive an instrument or voice from), both of which the HD600 does very well. Some people prefer a huge soundstage (more akin to being in an auditorium or concert hall), but others may feel that it makes for an artificial, unnatural sense of space that distracts. It's all a matter of personal preference.

>Budget
$100

>Location
USA

>Source
Desktop w/o external DAC

>Type of headphone
I'm looking for a good "gaming" headset. Basically something with decent drivers and shit, but also with a built in mic. I'd rather have better specs than comfort, and obviously anything decent sub $100 is not going to be wireless.

I dunno. Maybe if I scrubbed the meta data off the picture I would. I'm paranoid.Yupyup that's why I haven't just gotten a pair yet. I want to use them to their full potential. Seems like amp is mandatory. And I only just finished up my stereo system like last week. As well, I need to save up for extensive room treatments.
That price you're quoting is actually actually a completely different speaker system. That $24k one has expensive ass pro tad drivers. Mine uses far more I expensive drivers, but it still uses the same solid oak cabentry design. I actually just recently got specs for them, I contacted the owner of Arteluthe a few days ago. Turns out this was a pair he hand crafted himself. Other Arteluthe speakers he simply oversees the production. Cool, no?
No pls stop asking :(
ye, the blue hair version of Lunchi.

>I dunno. Maybe if I scrubbed the meta data off the picture I would
4chin scrubs the exif data these days. you can just do it using a phone app or website if you're that paranoid. I mean you asked for a way in and I'm telling you how

Don't have alot, and even less that's sfw, but here's one.

I might kill my wallet and get an HD600, the O2 amp and OL DAC, oh boy.

What's everyone listening to?
youtube.com/watch?v=i8KWmilMWU0

>Cool no?
Yes, it's nice occasionally having unique shit. So how much was yours?
>Blue hair Lunchi
Thanks. I might just get blonde.

it's just a gesture of good faith, it's the thought that counts
see

Did not know, neat. I guess that's why my pictures keep tilting side ways.

I'd rather not disclose the exact price i paid but lets just say it was worth it to me considering the other stuff I auditioned and the alternative speakers I had lined up to buy... and I paid far less than $15k msrp of the Jbl 4367 I had my eyes on. Which left me plenty of money for a good amp and preamp.

So you paid less than 15,000 dollars, which is better than the 24,000 dollars I thought it was. Why don't you want to disclose it exactly? Fuck sake, I wish I had that kind of cash to blow on speakers. I have money to blow but nothing like that.

Oh hell... I guess it doesn't matter if I tell you guys. But I paid $4k CAD. the Jbl cost $21k CAD new here... I also preferred the sound overall of my cadenza over the 4367. However the 4367 has the edge in that I could biamp. So I could get that sweeet sweet tube sound on the tweeter and tight tight low end of the woofer. As it stands my Cadenza uses a 2nd order filter or something. I connect my amp to the bottom set of binding posts and there's "outputs" on the back that right to the tweeter. I really dunno how it works, I should definitely learn.

>posts pictures of wretched looking cables
>won't post pictures of feet

are emu teaks just rebranded fostex or are they better/worse?

>emu teaks just rebranded fostex
yes
>are they better
yes

Why buy a DAC/amp over an audio interface?

i'm not a big proponent of audiophile cables. i feel like i overpaid for my blue jeans cables actually... $80 for 10guage 10 feet. coulda just made it myself for maybe $15 worth of cabling and parts if i bought it in bulk. but i've no idea how. also if you've seen my speakers you know how big and bulky they are, any speaker cable is just going to be hidden behind it anyway... who cares if it looks ugly?

No need for mic inputs. Do audio interfaces even have the same features like DSD?

>But I've no idea how
You buy copper wire with shielding, you cut off the outer shell, you stripe it, then you buy the connectors, you put them on the copper wire and you're done.

what's better? build quality or are the sound differences worthwhile?

don't care about detach cable

buy cable in bulk, slip some heat shrink on, solder wires to connectors, run flame over the heat shrink. easy as pie.

still has the hinge problem but no lacquer or logo that will fade over time. will last longer. also it is tuned differently, treble is still hot but not sibilant like the fostex. upper midrange isn't sucked out like the fostex so vocals don't suffer. teak wood can be hollowed out more which gives it more soundstage

well, like everything in this hobby you live and learn. im not too fussed about paying $80 for cables, considering I spent far more than that on other stuff, to the point that most of what I own is snake oil to most of you guys... it would have been pretty poetic if I wound up buying audioquest cables like I originally wanted to. things change though...

learn faster you faggot

thanks

I think I will get the emu teaks over the purpleheart

>250 dollar cables
What is wrong with you

Perfect if you need a mic, though most cheap and small USB powered audio interfaces doesn't have strong enough amp for 250Ohm+ headphones since they also need to power phantom microphones on top of the 48v headphones.

>doesn't have strong enough amp
don't lie

Well, I'm just stating what is true to my interface since it has 10Ω (good up to 80Ω headphones).

support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210708269-What-impedance-headphones-should-I-use-with-my-audio-interface-

Read again
>though most cheap and small USB powered audio interfaces doesn't have strong enough amp
>USB powered

he's right though. the amps are typically hot garbage compared to dedicated ones. the 404HD distorts the fuck out of my atticus (300ohm) and usb only power. my high distortion hybrid sounds much cleaner. I can connect the ac adapter and tell you what I hear but it doesn't change what he said