Holy fuck KDE is amazing

Current Gnome 3 user here. You Sup Forumsuys convinced me to try KDE and holy fuck is it amazing. Mind blown. Slick, fast and gorgeous. As a KDE noob, anything that I need to know? What about the security track record of KDE? I'm going to be moving to Kubuntu since I prefer using the same OS that my servers run. Any useful tweaks and customizations, discuss below.

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/ archive/ubuntu/backports
launchpad.net/~plasmazilla
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

to be honest unless you are developing exclusively for gnu/linux machines, you may as well just use windows if you're gonna use kde/gnome

It still uses half the ram and has 32x customization.

Why would you?
Windows spies on you
Windows is slow
Windows forces Updates
Windows is proprietary
Windows is outdated in terms of Filesystems
Windows is almost completely uncustomizeable

Why would ANYONE EVER use Windows if they don't have to.

KDE is currently the most buggy DE. Keep that in mind.

CIAniggers are mad that Microsoft won't let them play with the system anymore, and now they're trying to push everyone to buggy loonix.

Really? In my limited testing everything worked like a charm. Anyone else chime in with their experience?

>Kubuntu
don't
use kde neon instead, it's based on ubuntu but unlike kubuntu isn't a buggy piece of shit

>Anyone else chime in with their experience?
Works fine for me, using Slackware and ktown. I've never really had any major problems with KDE.

I think most of the complaints are from 'muh bleeding edge' types who use the absolute latest pre-pre-pre-alpha.

Also if you use an Android phone, download KDE Connect from F-Droid.

>Anyone else chime in with their experience?
I had at least 1 weekly crash while using the stable Neon, and once a month it would crash the window manager which required a reboot to recover.

it's not kolled KrashDE for nothing

>Source: my ass

>Why would ANYONE EVER use Windows
I don't know, ask the rest of world.

>Ask computer illiterate folk how is the right way to use computers

if your going on kubuntu you better use the kde backport ppa, you'll get the same patch than kde neon user

launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/ archive/ubuntu/backports

>stable Neon

Literally no such thing, Neon is plasma's testbed
Use a different distro for stable plasma

I installed KDE Neon and I couldn't even log in, it just said "login failed", I had to boot into gparted, delete the KDE Neon partitions and install Kubuntu lol

I also recommand you this ppa for enabling KDE file picker on Firefox :
launchpad.net/~plasmazilla

Don't go with Kubuntu.
Go with either KDE Neon or Arch KDE.
I'm on Arch KDE.

>not installing opensuse tumbleweed
best KDE distro desu senpai

Kubuntu is great with ppa, Kde Neon is good but has old package

Easy answer: it comes preinstalled and have been trained into using it from a young age.

No kubuntu, only suse or neon

KDE on opensuse is good but it's not a good distro, better than Debian tho

>Eat shit, millions of flies cannot be wrong!

Not as good as GNOME

>GNOME
>good

kek

Not an argument

Imagine where KDE would be today if they had something like Red Hat or Canonical liking their assholes as GNOME has.

GNOME isn't a real DE either

This

Word, Excel, PowerBI, .NET C#, DirectX, any good business intelligence tool, any best data analysis, MSSQL, best drivers for hardware, usually just works if you aren't doing any retarded shit.
Getting any real work done on Linux is a fucking nightmare because there are nearly no industry standard programs available. Don't get me started on any foss alternatives as they are shit unless coming directly from one of the big manufacturers.

That said I like linux on servers and for special purpose appliances.

No its not stop talking bullshit

I was you once until I started to see the cracks in KDE. buggy mess all the damn time, the meme widgets got old, the eye candy pixels got annoying, the hit to the system resources wasn't even worth it. went back to xfce/i3/gnome2 because I realized I liked lightweight stable wms that don't make me feel like I'm using a giant phone.

Don't listen to the haters OP. KDE was shit but has gotten really good.
There is some shit in there that's fucked but, generally, it's getting more and more stable as time goes on.

i'm thinking of going to MATE when 18.04 drops

GNOME isn't a desktop environment

It would suck a little less
Is the standard Linux DE, is the most real of all

It is THE desktop environment

>Getting any real work done on Linux is a fucking nightmare because there are nearly no industry standard programs available.
You're a faggot. I use Linux exclusively and there's very little that I'm unable to do. The only thing that comes to mind within the past six months was that I had to use Windows because I had a conference with a large client that was using some Cisco shit.
I was actually forced to use Wangblows about two year ago at an on-site with a different client. It was utter shit for anything development related. Seriously, utter absolute shit.
The only other pitfall of Linux is that it doesn't have a large library of games for the gaymen fags. But I don't game so don't give a fuck.

>no thumbnails

And the fact that they haven't bothered fixing it after 14 years is very telling.

just fuck my fonts up senpai XD
>this is what "fixed in kde 5.12" looks like

Not needed, drag and drop from Nautilus, open dialogs are so Windows 98

show me a gnome desktop that looks better than this

Use a proper distro, you stupid fuck.

Even XFCE looks better than that

>Fedora
fucking garbage

pppffffff.... hahaHAHAHA

Stay mad, Shuttleworth

Way better than Neon, and more stable

>X is buggy use Y
>Y is trash use Z
normal thing with KDE

Yeah, GNOME is shit no matter the distro you use. I'll give you that.

Another KDE Plasma user here user. Use KDE Neon or Manjaro KDE.

GNOME is waaay more stable than POS KrapDE

no

No, you are the faggot, the only place industry that linux is used is in the software and telecommunications wolrd. The real industry (manufacturing, food, transport, energy, education, etc) uses windows based solutions.

at least it doesnt rip your fonts up or breaks when you touch the settings. I literally installed it to post the ripped fonts and the desktop hanged when i switched it from the directory view to kde "boxed" desktop mode, and i couldnt log out.

It's easy to have a stable DE when it has no functionality at all

Both trash.
Wait for Solus to release their plasma implementation.

Use krunner, it is not intuitive for new people and it doesn't do well in screenshots, but it is the best thing on KDE.
Alt+f2 or alt+space usually brings it up.
It can do so many things the first thing you probably want to do is to disable some of the stuff you don't need.

As for security, probably not that great considering they don't do a lot with security. They have stuff like kwallet but I think that's it.
The only blunders I can recall is the "send later" function in kmail didn't work when you used gpg to encrypt the mail but it works now. (They unlocked your key but then timed out your session so it couldn't encrypt it when it was sending)

Stable is the wrong word, because gnome team deliberately breaks compatibilty with every release. Its much less buggy though.

KDE and XFCE are the only desktop environments on Linux, that don't get in my way when I want to get some work done.

GNOME is by far the worst one I've tested. Examples for this are the fullscreen program launcher, desktop icons being disabled by default and now completely removed, task bar only showing the last used program and not providing an overview over all open progams, forcing the user to use the "activities" corner of the screen. Missing thumbnails and lack of proper customization options do also suck. Oh and updates to the underlying runtime breaking all addons of course... GNOME is DEAD.

its easy to have a lot of buttons when everything breaks.

It's not KDE's fault if Kubuntu packagers don't give a fuck about the quality of their releases

So openPEPE, Neon or kubuntu?

>Kububtu
No, KDE Neon is literally Kubuntu base.
Solus is getting KDE support for the QT framework switch for the budgie desktop 4.0 release.

Wait for Solus KDE

Gentoo's KDE is very well maintained, unironically. I've had problems with KDE on every other distro.

>disable the wallet thing
>set theme to breeze dark (or at least the panel theme)
>make animations faster
>disable some meme effects like the transparent windows when moving shit
>set window border size to none and disable the gradients from breeze

shut up kevin

Weird because i tried manjaro, debian, kubuntu, and fedora kde. Debian and fedora broke right after install when setting the theme, manjaro was ok but bloated.
Everything had vsync problems though and dropped frames like crazy in fullscreen applications and games (which aren't supposed to be composited according to kde's "settings").

Some of KDE software, maybe most, is superior, but kwin and plasma are too buggy and clumsy.

Russian, huh? They won't understand.

KDE isn't all that great. It's still serious improvement vs Gnome 3, obviously.

Werks for me

In the contrary GNOME is the Linux Standard DE, far from dead, more alive than ever, more embrased than ever

>Gnome
It's GNOME (DWARF), actually.
Thanks.
t. GNOME Dev.

>embrased
Embarrassing

As long as it stays that way, the year of the linux desktop will never come.

>They won't understand.
yuri pls, it's literally the "if your friends jump from a bridge you also do it?" metaphor.

The only thing that annoys me is that nobody is working on DWD

Plebs and normies cannot use gnome for shit but feel instantly at home when using kde.

you mean "standar"

Faggot.

t. Red Hat employee

Sounds like systemd to me

Does the KDE file manager support thumbnails for thousands of images in a network drive without crashing? I tried a few on cinnamon and they were all shit compared to windows explorer.

Lol, only comment in this thread that offers some useful tips.

Faint praise. After gnome, anything would seem amazing.

I'd say go with KDE Neon instead of Kubuntu.

1) Kubuntu comes with a lot of decisions made for you, such as which program to install. e.g. konversation instead of quassel, or transmission-qt5 instead of qbittorrent. Neon, OTOH, just omits both so you get to choose.

2) OotB, neon uses very little resources. I think last time I ran it, it clocked in around 350mb ram usage after boot with the default settings where Kubuntu very quickly shot up to 1gb before I did anything at all.

3) it's still Ubuntu. Neon is a "non-distro". It's just Ubuntu with KDE on top. The only decisions the neon devs make are in relation to the implementation of KDE and the plasma desktop, not the rest of the system. That means all of their attention is focused on the DE so you get the best experience, where the Kubuntu devs have to split themselves between KDE, all of the qt4 and qt5 programs, hardware compatibility, etc. They try to be Jack of all trades - but they're master of none.

4) KDE Neon was started by Jonathan Riddell, the guy that started Kubuntu. Canonical kicked him off his own project, so he started a new one where he could do what was best for the users and their desktop experience instead of what Herr Shittlewarts says to do. (You know, start a project, get everyone hyped, then kill it off before it's even finished)

Because is crap, over enginered, not even KDE developers implemented it.

Nope, GNOME is straigh forward and they can be more productive, KDE gets in the way, every feature is screaming "hey, look at me", to distracting.,

Is the only hope the Linux DE has, he others DEs are distracting and getting in the way.

The thing with KDE neon is that most debian folks already consider ubuntu as a butchered freeze of debian testing with security patches and ppa's. Adding another layer of backports (and serious ones because its the whole KDE suite + qt libs) doesnt sound good for stability. Same thing as with Linux Mint desu.

>Windows forces Updates
>Sup Forums always complaining about botnets.
>Also complain about the one good feature of Windows 10 and an actual deterrent to real botnets.

Gnome is so straight forward, it even itroduces unnecessary steps for switching between applications. Want icons on the desktop, so you can quickly find your stuff? Too bad, it's gonna be removed.

it's really fucking easy to virtualize windows if you don't care about games
you can even have snapshots / rollbacks / stateless VMs and everything

What is that?

forced upgrades are great, especially if you have to do simple (as in not hardware intensive) work on your older HDD laptop and have to wait for updates to stop using your disk, because the system becomes unresponsive.

I know it's eye-candy, OP, but I'll stick with Unity.