Audiophiles

>audiophiles

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9yHFqYPda00
roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

audiophiles don't use macs, they're the not socially functional kind of nerds

Looks like a serious setup. Wonder if it's worth spending all of that. I was happy with my akg240's and amp + dac.

>cables resting directly on a hard surface

pleb

it seems like it would be a pretty lucrative career to get into audiophile snakeoil

its a bizarre subculture of people with autism and lots of money

I don't know if there are any other subculture/hobbies that appeal to this demographic as much

>he doesn't know how to properly enjoy Steely Dan's MINT production
Look at this mixed up and confused teen.

I bet you don't know about Dire Straits' CHOICE production either.

>placebo

lol that headphone amp is like $2000, fuck that bullshit. I can't fully identify what's going on in his setup but there's no way that listening to lossless files through tubes is going to sound any "better"

What is this cable meme??

and what is this CHOICE production you speak of

I have lost all respect for the Onion.

these people are so fucking retarded they think cables being in contact with the floor or tables makes the sound worse

...what.

Is there even any fucking pseudo science literature on this? Or are they actually just pulling it out of their asses

You won't get it unless you have gold plated cables and listen to it in FLAC sourced from original british and/or japanese pressings, but I and anyone else in the know can assure you that Neil Dorfsman and Mark Knopfler assured that the recording quality was truly MINT.

youtube.com/watch?v=9yHFqYPda00

It's too bad the tweakos have given hi-fi a bad name, though, since it is worth the time, money (reasonably and intelligently spent), and effort to put together a good rig.

they also spend $200,000 on tube amplifiers that any home electronics hobbist could make in a weekend

That has to be the most retarded thing I've seen.

>Wonder if it's worth spending all of that.

No headphone rig is worth spending over a grand on.

Once you get in the kilobuck range, time to move on to speakers.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 8

do they think vibrations are going through instead of electrical signals?

Read this all ya negros

roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

>speakers
go to bed grandpa

Au dio fie less

>those plastic zipties
>those plastic home depot kitchen cabinet hooks

Are these headphones or just shit to put on your head while you listen to speakers (serious question)?

they make up some bullshit about 'electrical resonance' or some fucking techy speak that is just used as pseudo science snake oil shit

they spend 1000 dollars on a audio cable and then think it need to be 'broken in'

>He thinks headphones with their non-existent soundstage, shitty linearity, terrible high frequency response, terrible dynamics, terrible bass extension are "good."

Once you move out of the dorm or bedroom, and hear a real playback system, you'll understand.

Headphones are basically toys for teenagers.

Your mom is a toy for teenagers

i try to get everything in 320kps if possible, but even i think this is retarded

Well so is ur mom

>i'm so much better than everyone because I own speakers
fuck off

>>roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
>the fucking cable "elevators" cost 159 dollars

how old are you?

>audiophile thread
>talking about mp3s

Are you trolling m8

wew lads

probably 13

They're more like head speakers

>I was happy with my akg240's and amp + dac.
that setup probably sounded better than what the guy hs in OP's pic.

Jecklin Float™, the finest electrostatic headphones on the market, a must for any discerning gentleman.

>I was happy with my akg240's and amp + dac.
>was
?

It must be some sort of compensation for low social status or something.
Buying unnecessarily expensive tech often is.

>Audiophiles don't use Macs
>Every professionally produced album since the 90s was made using a PowerMac.

Old enough to not have to suffer listening to music on headphones since I don't have to worry about waking up my parents :^)

kek

give me you're age

wow, guys, we have an audiophile here

>audiophiles don't use macs
aactually i want to get my hands on an old 2010 macbook, they had a goat tier dac / amp that i miss the sound of.

Not really an audiophile as i can seperate the palcebo from the real but that was the one redeeming quality of macs

I bet you're really insecure about yourself and use your material possessions as a sad, pathetic way to mask it.

>Go to hi-fi store to pick up a modest system for vinyl
>guy behind the counter picks many holes in my suggested set-up
>humour him
>tells me he has spent £30,000 on his vinyl set-up
>at the very most he is earning £16,000 per annum
>don't have the heart to tell him that vinyl is equal in sound quality to FLAC and is only superior in that it provides an outlet for our commodity fetishism
>leave the store with a poorer system than him but with better priorities

What about your neighboUrs? Seeing as it's always people in their teens and twenties that actively piss off their neighboUrs for no reason?

I bet you're tipping your fedora pretty hard now huh

>"statement level product"
>Statement

Not really. I was the one giving you the advice that it really isn't worth spending past 1K on headphones, unless you like the technology for other reasons (like those on Head-Fi who are obsessed with collecting them).

Many are of the opinion that 300-500 will pretty much get you "end game" headphones. I agree.

The next step is speakers, and the JBLs LSR305s, at around 300 a pair, setup nearfield will pretty much outperform any headphone rig on the planet. So there's no "elitist" barrier to entry here.

So do the people that actually make this equipment believe in it? Or are they laughing?

Not as euphoric as Sennheiser Surround tho

speakers are for losers and people who hate their neighbours

see

hes grown out of the age where its ok to be on Sup Forums
(not that it really should ever be ok)

how do you listen to music when your friends come round?

lol wow, that's autistic as fuck

Neighbors aren't a problem for me, since the closest house is 30 feet away, so I can blast my system at 100db no problem.

>speakers are for losers

sour grapes

These people seem to care more about their equipment and attaining 'perfect sound' than they do about the actual music. Most of my collection is FLAC and I have a good pair of headphones (MDR-V6) along with some okay speakers and I'm fine with that.

>Many are of the opinion that 300-500 will pretty much get you "end game" headphones.
I've heard this for years, and even though I've never had the chance to listen to headphones in that price range.

tips ferraro

A music lover listens to music with his sound system
An audiophile listens to his sound system with music

Cool.

This fucking so much

>friends

>320kps
>kps
>kilos per second
Wow your cables must be really strong

Go with the Sony MDR-V6 like this dude.

Really, their frequency response graph is no less impressive than something like the Sennheiser HD 800s,

Literally buttblasted.

>Sony MDR-V6
I almost bought these once..Now I should.

Correct. I'm into BDSM femdom and I hired your mom last week to stick her hand up my butt faggot

>hi-fi / hi-end system: 50.000£
>ticket for a philarmonic concert: from 10£ to 300£
truly, how can exist people disposed to pay 50.000£ as excuse for their lazy ass?

You sure roasted him man.

REEE, pictureofafrog.tiff, normies pls leave and so on but seriously you need some means of playing music when people are round, to seduce females with your patrician choices etc

Go for it. What you pay for in the more expensive headphones is a bigger soundstage and maybe tighter imaging, so that's why I say if you want bigger soundstage and better imaging, buy a 300 or 400 dollar pair of speakers instead of the 400 dollar or more pair of headphones, since speakers do soundstage and imaging considerably better than any headphone.

But I understand disturbing neighbors, family members, etc can be an issue.

MDRs are great. They're the go to studio headphone for a reason.

the pound sign goes in frontve the number you utter scoundrel

people aren't around

and if you only need speakers to play music for others you might as well use the cheapest ones that are loud enough

are cable mods bullshit? I've had an interest in messing around with moon audios "blue dragon"

you forgot to remove the trips

you're gonna regret that

idk why ppl are talking about disturbing neighbours etc, just because youre listening on speakers doesnt mean you have to blast it out as max volume, I very rarely turn my music up loud enough to bother anyone

t. generic autistic

>are cable mods bullshit?

Yeah. Lol. And so are uber-expensive DACs.

use vorbis or opus instead, they're much more efficient. transparent at around 192 / 128 kbs respectively.

that doesnt even make sense
>if you only need headphones to play music for yourself you might as well use the cheapest ones that work
but anyway if someone only listens alone sitting at a desk browsing the internet (ie not really paying attention to the music anyway) they really might as well use shitters since theyre only using music as background to what theyre actually doing

Indeed. And setup nearfield, you can play music at something like 75db, but the perceived loudness would be like listening to a bigger pair of speakers at 80-90db (which is pretty loud) in the far-field.

Nearfield setups are basically like a giant pair of headphones but with a natural soundstage.

When it's needed then absolutely everyone mentions it. If there is no real consensus on it then don't bother.

>and if you only need speakers to play music for others you might as well use the cheapest ones that are loud enough

Nah, getting leveld speakers would be a good idea, so monitors

>that doesnt even make sense
yes it does
>if someone only listens alone sitting at a desk browsing the internet (ie not really paying attention to the music anyway) they really might as well use shitters
yes?

>Nah, getting leveld speakers would be a good idea
why?

balanced sound the way it was originally mastered to be. Its like listening to opera on car stereo or beats by dre, its gonna sound shit. But listen to any genre on monitors and it will sound good.

yeah but if it's only for "when people are round, to seduce females with your patrician choices etc" why does it matter

how is it only for when people are around? im listening on my monitors right now and it sure beats listening on something small or stereo speakers.

You know it's a good idea to read what someone was replying to before replying to a reply.

I honestly can't tell the difference between MP3 320 with my equipment, which is perfectly adequate.

its its to impress chicks then balanced sound reproduction is more important to them

This is what happens when you are old, retired, have lot's of money in the bank and have no idea what to spend it on.

wut? and if you're trying impress qts with you're music taste you have bigger problems than your audio equipment regardless

hey it was that guy talking about it. Chicks dig balanced sound reproduction. played a sin sweep through different frequencies and now we're married, best decision of my life

>not owning speakers and headphones