How did you finally give up Windows, Sup Forums?

How did you finally give up Windows, Sup Forums?

struggling weeks to go cold turkey...maybe i do it one day

Once you get past the whole making a circle with gimp thing, it gets a lot easier.

i didn't give it up.

I found a comfy distro with XFCE and booted into it with Windows as the secondary OS. After about a year, I removed the Windows install completely.

I don't really gayme, but when I do it's Civ V or Portal, both of which run on Linux-based operating systems.

I tried MacOS, realized that Windows is shit and Unix-like environments are best. Then I tried Linux, and realized that Mac holds your hand through everything. The good (and bad) news is how much you can customize Linux. For learning about operating system and whatnot, that customization is great, but I usually just want to set up a programming environment and get going.

It was years of being masochistically tortured and abused by what is probably the worst piece of software ever created, but what finally did me in was that my PATH variable kept getting borked and the utter dogshit command-line kept make it impossible to change because it was fucking up in a half dozen different ways.

4 years later and I have yet to observe an issue on Linux that couldn't be blamed entirely on Windows.

When I finally buy a new cpu and more ram. I will sandbox windows in a kvm virtualmacine. Planning to do it this year.

Have yet to, but quite tempted at the moment. I have a pc that likes to restart on its own cause Windows 10 is autistic. Beginning to consider just wiping it all and getting myself some Linux OS but I get the feeling I won't like it after sucking the Microsoft teat all my life. Can someone give me a non-biased redpill on Linux vs Win10? I get the impression Linux users generally have programming knowledge and like the customization options Linux provides, and I'm super brainlet on coding. I mostly play vidya, watch yt or weeb shows, and some other misc stuff. Idk if an OS like Linux would benefit me more than just sticking to Win10 would.

One moment of pure rage quit in 2008.
>Get Vista laptop in 2007
>4GB RAM, C2D, Nvidia GPU, absolute monster for the era
>it never ever works right
>discovered Sup Forums a few months prior
>suddenly get asked to enter 64 digit hex keys by hand into the registry to get a damn USB drive to work
>nope
>fuck you
>download Ubuntu 8.04 amd64
>burn it
>boot from it
>pave my entire hard drive
>everything justwerkz out of the box
>never go fully back
It helped a LOT that I had always gamed on Nintendo rather than PC, and had been using Firefox and OpenOffice for a couple of years. There was zero friction in terms of application loss for me.

Ubuntu is just as easy as Windows 10, but since you've been on Windows your entire life it will be a learning curve. Start with 16.04 LTS and don't use an alternate DE.

I didn't gave up, because it works and I am too lazy to install whatever else now.

Quit cold turkey at around 2010 and decided to go to Arch because it was supposed to teach you as much as possible about linux in a short time the dirty way
I still use the same Arch + KDE install on my desktop and Arch + i3 on everything else. Its extremely comfy
Never had an issue like xorg crashing etc, except maybe in the very first week or so
I do find all the autists that think arch is hard absolutely retarded though, they have a literal guidebook with step by step instructions about how to do literally everything, you cant fuck up

To be fair if you had Nvidia or fglrx it absolutely was trivial to break X on Arch when packages got out of sync. God, flgrx was such garbage.

>suddenly get asked to enter 64 digit hex keys by hand into the registry to get a damn USB drive to work

Shit like this is why nobody believes freetards.

I switched to nvidia relatively recently as I got a 1070 as a gift, was on ayymd up to then

Sorry, no time to play around, had to do work, company I work for only uses Windows.

t. winbabby who never experienced Vista RTM

How old are you

Was dual-booting Ubuntu with XP to skip the Vista disaster -> went full Win7(best Windows ever) -> started to use Fedora after ransom-ware and forced upgrades got around -> went full Fedora to skip Win8 -> mfw Windows became even shittier after that, so I stuck to Fedora.

Nowadays I just buy my Computers without any OS or Harddrives, so I spare me the hassle to purge the preinstalled Shitware.

Learning is a waste of time.
t. every highschool-dropout ever.