Good CAD software?

i've been interested in designing guns for a really long time but the really good software is all overpriced subscription shit.
is there any good free CAD software?

Other urls found in this thread:

openscad.org/
bricsys.com/en-intl/bricscad/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Try FreeCAD or kcad. Is solidworks that expensive?

Onshape is pretty good but it's cloud based.

considering you have to get a quote for solidworks i would assume so, yes.

OpenSCAD if you want something that can be scripted. Is the MATLAB of CADs.

i've never used CAD before.
when you say scripted, do you mean animated?

Think of "coding" or "programming" openscad.org/

Fusion 360 my dude

this it's the only "professional style" free option
everything else itt is the linux of cad

this isn't free

did they change it?
it used to be free (as in beer) for hobbyists and startups making under $100k/yr

>the really good software is all overpriced subscription shit.

That may be because the free shit isn't good at all. If you want to do something simple you probably fine with free software.
For serious projects you should invest in some proper software like autocad or something.

This commercial software is an alternative to AutoCAD. I runs on all major operating systems.

bricsys.com/en-intl/bricscad/

just checked and it still is free for non commercial use
they just hide it better to lure you into their subscription scheme

oh ok, thanks

Inventor is great.

The free software doesn't hold a candle to Solidworks, NX, Autocad, etc, but would work just fine for a hobbyist. If you're interested in making a career out of it you could always torrent the good software to learn it, then buy it when you're good enough to make money.

Solid Works is free for anyone with an internet connection. It can be installed by anyone with the brain power to actually have a use for it.

draftsight is better and it's gratis, but only 2d. i think op wants 3d

Can you make money with CAD without an engineer or designer degree?

CADing is essentially the entry-level engineering job, and engineers are more picky about degrees than cs

Yes, but your chances will be lower than someone with the degrees. My friend is doing entry level drafting jobs in autocad just from taking a linda course on it and using solidworks as a hobby in his freetime.

what the fuck is that?

Thanks for the answers

Some kind of turbocharger?

?

yes

Solidworks, Inventor, or Siemens NX

FUCK AUTOCAD

Very much so. It depends on the modules and number of licenses you are getting tough.

I like Inventor, but it's really expensive. My old education license is running out soon, so I'll have to come up with something else as well.

wtf do you even bolt that up to? I see like 10 different turbines? Jesus fucking Christmas are you building some kinda crazy dragster or something?

Thank you based dorito god

Catia V4 (not V5) or Solidworks if you want to play with the big boys.

>Catia V4 (not V5) or Solidworks if you want to play with the big boys.
why is catia so shit

Autocad isn't even relevant anymore. It's basically just pro engineer, solidworks, solid edge, inventor, NX and Catia. Solidworks being my favorite.

But it's not. Learn to not suck at CAD, shit's easy my man.

AutoCAD is pretty much king for 2D drafting

Try doing something 2D in solidworks, it's dumb as fuck

My work uses NX11 and that fucking shit is like $2,000,000 a year for the 20 or so licenses.

Is Microstation actually widely used in the industry? My school has classes for it along with other cad programs.

i've done this before. i wish i saved the email. its a ridiculous number though. i saw the number and did a 360 and walked out the door

it's a wanker engine in series

>good
>free
lmao no

isn't solidworks comparatively cheap though (~$1000/yr for a basic version?)
considering it's the little brother of catia
or am i mistaken?

It is. CATIA is fucking garbage and anyone who uses it is a fucking masochist.

All guns should be taken away and the only ones allowed should have technology that prohibits them from being fired unless approved by the local police department . Every bullet fired should be logged along with the location where the bullet was fired.

Florida-fag here
Its still used to a lesser by FDOT and various surveying companies from what ive experienced. Its been superseded by other programs, and for the most part, Autodesk is the preferred and most used platform.
Personally, I dont like it, purely from a a middleman standpoint receiving Microstation files (DGN's) and using that as my base for some projects, since it messes with the drawing and I have to convert parts of it. It does what it sets out to do, but CAD has been upping its game in the parts Microstation already had a while ago, like 3D modeling and construction (BIM 360). Just find a trustworthy .iso of Microstation to mess around with, its worth having decent knowledge on.

Compared to what?

why aren't there any AI programs that engineer things?

it's hard to make such a thing in the programming languages I'm familiar with because it only like focuses on one number at a time or something.

still, I would think there would at least be one online somewhere.

I had a license of solidworks standard (just the cad, no simulation, etc) purchased for me individually (not a company license), it was a one-time $3500 iirc

the pricing on it is terribad for something entry level. and i wouldn't have any problem with a 1 time fee as long as each new version was reverse compatible. i had a job and found out the hard way that newer/older versions don't play well with eachother. it's been a few years since i've even thought about SW or looked into a newer version but i hope this still isn't the case.

Freecad. I actually use it almost exclusively now, unless there is explicit demand of AutoCAD I use by a client.

blender

thanks lads, i went with the free hobby version of fusion 360.

shoulda done a fusion360 and walked out the door

I use Inventor by solidworks i believe and would love to get into modeling, that way i can make whatever i imagine for a project idea i have ,and see what it looks like afterwards, plus be able to plan with what i have etc, anyone have any good tutorials, any other programs i should check out that might be easier (i got inventor free because I'm a student)

Fake an education licence request for Autodesk Inventor

Free for 3 years, good enough to learn for industry.
Do not use an educational licence when you start making big monies

Engineering student here. My university has a course of 3D CAD modeling you can choose where they'll teach you to use Solidworks and Rhino, so I guess they're a good balance of easy to learn and widespread in the industry.

I can't believe Adobe hasn't bought a CAD firm, and incorporated a package into CC.