Is it possible for a site to use your gpu to mine cryptocurrency? and if so, is that legal?

do any popular sites do this?

Not your gpu but your cpu and it's definitely legal

This is possible with WebGL but also already becoming an obsolete method of distributed mining. Almost all ad blockers have been updated to prevent this from happening, and anyone with a computer that's worth the energy of mining on at all has ad-block installed, surely.

unused computing cycles are wasted computing cycles, amirite?

UFC.com was doing this for awhile

Salon tells you outright they are doing it

we postin snouts

I will make it legal.

>it's definitely legal

No it's not, not unless they explicitly state that they are doing so and get your permission.

Can i mine crypto with my phone? Someone knows?

Please link me to the part in the law that says that.
Entering a website gives them the consent to use the full extent of your computing power.

Minergate allows this

>Entering a website gives them the consent to use the full extent of your computing power.
Care to link me to the part in the law that says that?

Doing that can easily be interpreted as being malicious software / a botnet if the webpage owners did not notify the users that they were doing so.

But mining is not strictly malicious.

also CryptoNight currencies like Monero have been mined to death by botnets. The difficulty is so high that JavaScript miners generate virtually no revenue anymore.

>Using a user's computing resources against the user's will
>Not malicious

Also, that's pretty much the dictionary definition of a botnet.

>botnet: a network of computers created by malware and controlled remotely, without the knowledge of the users of those computers: The botnet was used primarily to send spam emails.
Doesn't sound like crypto mining to me.

>a network of computers
>controlled remotely
>without the knowledge of the users of those computers

That sure sounds like a webpage serving crypto miners without user consent to me.

Just disable Flash, Javascript and WebGL.
Problem solved.

Not installing crypto-blockers gives your consent.

Nigger, that's like saying it's fine for me to mug you because you didn't hire a body guard.

Now that's a reductio ad absurdum. Are ads literal theft too?
A website is someone's private property, and they can do with it what they wan't.

No it isn't.
Serving a cryptominer without user consent, or notifying them is straight up a botnet.

Not having a cryptoblocker does not correlate to giving consent.

Entering someones private property can be considered to be a violation of the NAP and thus they can respond to a measure suitable to the situation, in this case your intrusion is compensated by the processing power of your computer, to create currency free from the tyranny of governments.

>A website is someone's private property, and they can do with it what they wan't.
And a computer is a user's private property, they can do with it what they want.

Never mind the fact that servers SERVE webpages. They don't run on the user's device.

Clearly you must be the dumbest troll on Sup Forums.
This is kindergarten-tier retarded arguments.

A server is private property, but a webpage is a public resource.

>webpage is a public resource
No it isn't you damn communist scum.
The webpage, served from my server, is my private property that you are accessing.
I can do what I please with my private property. By accessing my website you consent to subject yourself to a small toll.
However, as your computer is your private property, you are free to install a crypto-blocker to prevent the usage of your computer.

>I don't know how the internet works

Once a file leaves your server, the only control you retain over it is IP rights (if you have any).

So what's the problem with cryptominers then?

>By accessing my website you consent to subject yourself to a small raping.
no

yes, but i don't want the room to increase in temperature, or slow down anything else i might be doing on the computer.

if there was a way (impossible) to mine as the lowest priority task on the computer, not generate any heat, and make it so that if i needed the CPU the mining process will instantly give it to me, then i probably won't mind much.

>legal
no, it's unauthorized use as defined by the CFAA

Not wearing anti-rape protection gives your consent.

>Once a file leaves your server
That you requested.

I'd love to see the laws guiding this.
Because if they exist, I'ma have a field day suing the shit out of websites using extraneous javascript for bullshit actions.

Sensible argument.
However it's very likely the EU will require prominent notices about crypto mining if you want to provide service in their regions, considering they require you to tell people about fucking cookies now.

Not since speedstep, no.
Especially not with modern power gating.

Target numero uno: mcdonalds.com.au
Seriously these cunts have been adding more and more scripting and bullshit forever, no matter what slice of time your talking about - the website has always run like ass since they overload it with shit.

If using cryptominers as a waste of resources is a crime, so is this that.

>"by entering this site you agree to..."
>click accept
permission obtained

>against the users will
You requested it yourself.

Boop!

Absolutely horrifying, i never will own petos

They are not running their code. You are.

so soft and boopable!

This makes me wonder if the future will bring "By using this site, you agree to let us use your cpu...blah blah...help us with server fees...etc." or it will be a forced agreement to use the site, similar to adblocker protection.