All things considered, are radiohead Sup Forums's most popular band?

all things considered, are radiohead Sup Forums's most popular band?

op here

yes

yes
and animal collective is Sup Forums's most popular collective

probably, and they should be

I didn't understand the hype and cocksucking for AMSP.

It was underwhelming and disappointing as all hell to me. Def in the bottom 3 releases.

I would probably say so. Kanye and Death Grips are close though.

Kanye West is not a band

radiohead have been the most relevant rock band since kurt cocaine died.
weezer might have had a chance but we all know what happened to them...
They both have critical and mainstream acclaim.
Thom is an old fuck but still somehow keeps making groundbreaking music after 9 albums.
The poptaimists must want thoms head on a stick since he keeps rock relevant

If by popular you mean that most people listen to it, then yes, if by most liked, then no.

death grips are just nowhere near as 'big' a band

Yup, just like every other big music site in existence today.

radiohead, animal collective, and death grips are the most popular

but for some reason radiohead's less memey than the other two

Sup Forums has made me hate Radiohead. You guys are cunts.

>but for some reason radiohead's less memey than the other two
The fans are more mature. Watch the response to this post as it proves my point.

Radiohead is definitely not relevant. They've been slightly altering a formula devised around the Millennium. It's safe white art for safe white people. I don't think anything of Kid A or OK Computer, but if you can construe those middling efforts as groundbreaking, then they definitely haven't created anything "groundbreaking" since. Anco and Radiohead are absolutely /mu's biggest artists, and it really is a reflection of the self-feeding white indie culture that encompasses this board. Whether that's the fault of the userbase or the userbase's investment in Pitchfork, I can't comment.

>this post

Why did you save that image?

YOU'RE

A

Kanye

Radiohead was much more prone to memespouting roughly four or five years ago.

At least Death Grips fans aren't mortally afraid of black people. Calling the response to the new Radiohead record mature is a stretch. Despite a sticky full of people fucking screaming, nonsense threads about Radiohead (but mostly Thom) have been flooding this board. Whereas DG has been a presence again since BP leaked, the DG community hasn't been really crazy since the giant performance art experiment that kicked off with the leak of NLDW and the release of JD.

I really can't speak to AnCo's popularity. White internet people definitely love that band, but mu is on another level.

FUCKING

I think it's because they generally write good songs and aren't immediately off putting from the get go like Swans or Death Grips, so it's easy for newfags to understand why they're liked.

You beat me to writing this.

WHITE

>not NMH

MALE

>writing all of that

yup, popatimists mad

It's probably a key factor in the music of Radiohead that Tom Yorke (fuck the pretentious 'Thom' shit) looks like a camel's afterbirth. Is there a more dweeby looking geek in all of rock? Probably not. If ever you could apply the story of the Emperor's New Clothes to a rock band it surely must be Radiohead, although REM come close. For younger readers not familar with this story, in a nutshell it means that Radiohead are actually indescribably crap although millions have been hypnotised into believing they make classic works of Beethovian like genius. All their albums are dull, overwrought, histrionic, pretentious shite. Make no mistake, this is as proggy as anything early 70s Britain spewed up, minus the instrumental virtuosity of Yes and ELP. This effort was enthusiastically received by the retards who write for the music press but there's not one microsecond of excitement here. If you ever see Radiohead walking down the street make every effort to run them over.

you know, self hatred isnt attractive

Kanye definitely had a lot of pull around MBDTF (which was mu's favorite record for a loooong time), but he freaked a lot of people out with Yeezus, and everyone seemed to react really badly about the gospel influence on TLOP. Shame, because Pablo is crazy fucking good. I'm genuinely not trying to race-bait, but I don't think white people generally understand gospel.
Disclaimer: I am white.

k

The only thing I hate is this board.

True! What of it?

>literally writing a paragraph about how much you hate white people who are successful in music

tumbler is that a way boyo.

Like i said, thom keeps rock relvant so of course self hating poptamists who orgasm over top 40 pop rap would want his head on a stick

>It's safe white art for safe white people.
>At least Death Grips fans aren't mortally afraid of black people.
Is this what DG fans are like?

This is absolutely true.

Death Grips fan here, fuck the guy you're responding to. Most of us DG fans aren't self-hating cucks.

10/10

No, I don't think so. Whilst employing a very angry black man, I think DG has a mostly white audience. I was super happy to be along for the ride from NLDW to JD, but I've kind of fell out of the zeitgeist. I still think DG is real talented.

I would like to point out that this isn't criticism, this is a rant.

>dull
>histrionic
>pretentious
Being this hyperbolically negative reeks of attention seeking rather than any sort of well-articulated critique.

I don't get the meme that white people can't criticize their own culture without being self-hating. Besides, this board gets a big boner when hip hop records criticise black culture.

However, I have been on a mostly hip hop and blues kick for like three years. I definitely move around and listen to other stuff, but I always come home to that stuff.

I don't feel this way about books, video games, or movies, but in the realm of music, I tend to find the black art more genuine. Critically acclaimed white artists seem to make careers out of acting morose and frowning in pictures (read: Tommy Yorke)

>Implying RH isn't the most musically diverse band of the past two decades

Wow, you were serious?

>black art is more genuine
Do you realize how condescending this is?

Speaking of immature fans, look at these salty Radiohead lovers.

you are a self hating leftist who puts niggers over your own kind, you are the definition of self hating.

I'm extremely confused.

Is this about the most popular band ON Sup Forums?

Or the most popular Sup Forumscore (which goes beyond Sup Forums)?

>I tend to find the black art more genuine. Critically acclaimed white artists seem to make careers out of acting morose and frowning in pictures (read: Tommy Yorke)

This is the meme. You are the memer.

Scuse u while u kys

List some of your favorite artists/bands.

Boo fucking hoo? I feel how I feel buddy. I think that important art is usually spurned by conflict, and to make up for the lack of it, you see people like Mark Kozelek, Michael Gira, and Tommy Yorke doing their best to look bummed out about...something. Tom Yorke managed to have one of the worst radio smashes of the 90s, and then parlay that success into an extremely successful band that is also critically acclaimed--for nearly 30 years. What is anybody in Radiohead upset about? What are their songs about? What experiences define their music? What makes their sound unique?

Shakespeare was rich and lived better than most of his contemporaries. I'm sure that invalidates his contributions.

>Michael Gira
He has gone through some really traumatizing shit, you fucking idiot. When he was a teenager he ended up in an Israeli jail and every night he would hear the inmates rape a boy.

I'm so phasey with music I can't say if I've really stuck with a band forever. As far as bands who have put out records I've came back again and again too:
Howlin Wolf
The Doors
GZA
Wu Tang
Tribe
Pixies
Elvis Presley.

Just a quick, off the top of my head list.

Kanye West
Death Grips
Drake

DG fans by definition are not self-hating because the music goes against that

you could say they are in fact selfish

By the way, I'll give you fellas this: I liked In Rainbows a lot when I was a teenager. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi was on a CD mix my high school girlfriend (and later, wife) made and I will forever associate that song with meeting my wife. Happy memory.

>Music is a competition about who has the shittiest life.

Fucking kill yourself dude this is embarrassing.

you fucking shithead asshole fag

I didn't write this, but I thought I would chime in and say I really dislike Drake. Overproduced shitty R&B that is mysteriously marketed as rap?

Used to LOVE DG but have kind of got over it. Was kind of a off-and-on Kanye fan until Pablo, which I continue to love.

Yes. I think so.
Next to Kanye and Anco

>Michael Gira

It's definitely not, but I get why you're interpreting that. What I am saying is that I don't think artists like Radiohead have anything to say. They might have music in them, but I just don't feel like it comes from anywhere. It's why I'm not really into prog, I just can't stand behind wankery, whether it's technical or artistic.

i liked him in adventureland

I prefer his appearance in Mulholland Dr.

Develop fucking empathy you mong.

That's a terrible story. Nonetheless, I feel like that song is maybe a gross piggyback, kind of at somebody else's expense? But if this is true, I suppose it could've warped Gira mentally. Free pass, I guess.

What about Arcade Fire?
Most of Sup Forums likes them and they've gotten pretty big desu

I think they'd be a strong contender, but well being Radiohead and AnCo.

>Most of Sup Forums likes them
There was literally a thread shitting on them earlier today

But for what? What does Tom Yorke feel? What are those fucking songs on AMSP about?

Isn't Shakespeare a cipher anyway? Nonetheless I don't really like Shakespeare, but I'm a journalist, so my love for writing is kind of in a different camp anyway. I know that Shakespeare is culturally important, but I'm not sure why.

So what? There were also a lot of people shitting on Radiohead when the new album came out

Just because it sticks out doesn't mean those people are the majority

Stickies that aren't death-related are extremely rare.

I think Gira is bummed about his incredibly fucked up childhood. Next time do some research instead of thinking "he's white so there's no way he has gone through some soul destroying shit."

Arcade Fire is nowhere NEAR as talked about as the other big artists here, don't kid yourselves friends

>Isn't Shakespeare a cipher anyway?
No. I've studied the authorship question in the most autistic way possible. Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare.

>but I'm not sure why.
Mostly his use of language. Coined tons of words and idioms we used today, and was able to articulate incredibly profound points in funny and clever ways.

They're like what Cowboy Bebop is on Sup Forums I suppose.

Didn't his partner of like 20 years leave him?

Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying. Black music has tons of historical and systematic oppression to rail against, and that's super cool. But that doesn't negate the personal experiences that white artists may be pouring into their music as well. Saying you can't be sad because other people have it shittier is just like saying you can't be happy because there are other people out there who have it better than you. That's bullshit. Regardless of what the actual experiences going into the music are, there's an idea and an emotion that the artist is trying to convey.

I mean, that's sort of the whole point of it, right? I'm not a black guy living in white north america, but through art I can start to relate to what that might be like, or at least what that might feel like on a fundamentally human level. Likewise, my longest relationship barely lasted a year, so the only way I can relate to the experience of losing someone so close to you is through the art that I'm consuming.

maybe. they definitely used to be from like 2007-2010, but their popularity on Sup Forums really took a hit due to the long wait time between TKOL and AMSP, and the fact that TKOL was shit. some people on here thought that there was gonna be a second companion album to TKOL because of some stupid theory, just because TKOL was so underwhelming. something similar happened with animal collective and CHZ. in that time, kanye and death grips and swans filled the void. but now that radiohead is back, they are a meme once again.
there was an older version of Sup Forums-tan that wore a radiohead shirt, before he put on the mask.

>you didn't write 'present tense'

that fucking bridge

mfw

i've seen funeral as sub Sup Forumscore on a lot of charts. i think that's a great spot for it really, not memed enough to warrant being promoted to normal Sup Forumscore, but still memed enough to be acknowledged for it.

NMH - eva
kanye - madoka
what are some other comp/a/risons

Oh hello shill!! I think you got lost.
Our politics board is that way

>At least Death Grips fans aren't mortally afraid of black people.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes

>pretentious
>pretentious

dropped

It's either them or AnCo.

>white

50 bucks says that you're about as white as anybody else here

Don't act like you're "hip" or "edgy" for listening to the new flavor of the month hip hop album

>someone was so mad that he drew this
kek

>Sup Forumscore (which goes beyond Sup Forums)
explain

>says Radiohead is shit for white teenagers
>loves Kanye West

Yeah. They seem to be the most popular band amongst all 16-24 year olds who identify as being into music, regardless of whether they browse Sup Forums.

>The poptaimists must want thoms head on a stick since he keeps rock relevant
They don't really make rock music, and poptimists love them

You don't get to decide what's relevant. You may be right, but people have been talking about them non-stop since they announced the tour, and AMSP is probably the most talked about album of the year along with Blackstar.

Let's have a couple of strawpolls. Everyone reply to this post with the band and solo artist you think are the most broadly loved by Sup Forums (for example, "Radiohead, Brian Eno"). I'll check back in a bit and make two different strawpolls, one for each, and start a thread.

Radiohead, David Bowie

Radiohead, Aphex Twin

Radiohead, Brian Eno

Then why the fuck are posting here?

Hold on, you think Radiohead is "for safe white people" but Kanye isn't? Is this bait? Kanye is one of the most white friendly mainstream rappers around. Also, he sometimes pretends to be a tough gangsta even though he had a pleasant middle class upbringing. Say what you will about Thom, at least he doesn't pretend to be from the streets.