Where to start with programming a linux device driver?

Anyone ever written their own device driver on Linux? I would like to try my hand at it, but not really sure where to start. Where is a good place to learn about these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gregkh/usb_tutorial
lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/
linuxdriverproject.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
apriorit.com/dev-blog/195-simple-driver-for-linux-os
freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/drivers_linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm also interested. Where would you start?

I am not running 'make mandocs' in the source directory. Hopefully that will provide me some pointers. Other than that, I am not sure. Been going around looking at different tutorials. Trying to figure out if I need to run
system("mknod /dev/my_device");

but if I need that then I need to also
#include
#include

but I have a feeling including stdio.h and stdlib.h is bad news inside a kernel module/driver.

Have you considered looking at kernel docs and the thousands of drivers in the kernel?

"Write a Real, Working, Linux Driver" talk and source code github.com/gregkh/usb_tutorial
Linux Device Drivers, Third Edition lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/
Linux Driver Project linuxdriverproject.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

>the thousands of drivers in the kernel
That famous Linux bloat

currently building the kernel man pages
not sure where to start with the driver sources, but I appreciate your derision at my ineptitude
thanks bud.

apriorit.com/dev-blog/195-simple-driver-for-linux-os

freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/drivers_linux/

Cute piggo

that's the last one I have.
Bumping this thread because maybe someone else isn't browsing the catalog and might be curious about the resources.
thanks user.

Got "hello world" kernel module to compile, load, and unload successfully. There's that.

Thanks man, that picture seems like it's CGI

>hardware support is bad
Stick to microshit wangblows, kid

What a cute puppa

Aside from the tutorials posted here, do you guys have an actual device you want to make a driver for?

WTF are these little shits?

What the fuck is a puppa?

Wow that's a big rat.

A little doggo.

I know that isn't a dog. I'm not that dense.

I've seen rats too and it isn't a rat.

Welcome newfriend.

I guess I deserved that one.

reverse image search will tell you what it is.

Reverse image search of picture in OP says it's a fucking dwarf hamster. That is not a dwarf hamster.

Have (you) tried? Google says best guess on OP image is "G-Technology" and shows me a bunch of cats.

They look like ferrets, only more feral, so they're probably oppossums or whatever shady shit Americans drag into their homes.

I'm an American and I've never seen one of these, much less let it into my house. Then again I don't live in trash.

Fucking retards.

You're a retard.

Google's suggestion for this picture was "hamster".

Google's suggestion for this picture was "JPEG"

Google's suggestion for this picutre was "children"

After that I gave up and assumed you were trolling.

Its not my fault you are a fat lazy basement dwelling cunt.

The irony of calling people lazy when you were lazy and said "reverse image search it" instead "it's an opossum"

Maybe aussie google is different

I am aussie.
Look at the url in my pic.

I already new the answer why the fuck do i have to school you? You lazy shit.

Uh so is it a opossum or a possum?

Opossum. Not like Aussie possum. They are American marsupials.

I am not. I was reacting to your search bringing up possums while mine mistagged as "G-Technology" and gave me cats.

That's also what I get in Norway. I guess the other user is just a lying cunt.

you fucks seriously have never seen an opossum? Jesus... I used to see 'em all the time growing up. They were all over Michigan, even in Detroit. Those fat fucks would just destroy the garbage if you left it on the curb overnight. Opossums and raccoons were a big problem in my neighborhood in Tha D.

>you fucks seriously have never seen an opossum?
They are native only to the Americas, and I haven't spend much time out in the wildlife there, only been to cities, so no, I've never seen one.

You get lulzier images though. I just get a bunch of generic cats.

I think my parents used to see them in alleys in the midwest (US). Now I live in a suburb in the northeast, we don't have alleys or dumpsters here, and I've never seen them. Instead people put their garbage out in usually sealed cans one morning a week, and a truck picks it up by noon.

Im surprised you faggots have even heard of computers.

Fun fact: Norway was the first country to join the Internet after the US.

Also, two Norwegians invented OOP.

There's a reason why Mr. Trump wants more immigrants from here.

>There's a reason why Mr. Trump wants more immigrants from here.
Also because your skin is not brown.

Skin color just happens to correlate with the merits of your culture and society, it's not the cause of it obviously.

More fun facts about Norway.
You have the dumbest flag the world has ever seen .
When you speak you sound like a pigeon with a golf ball stuck up your anus.

>ur flag is stoopid and ur language is weird

Whatever

> haven't spend much time out in the wildlife there, only been to cities

They live in the cities. Metro Detroit is a pretty fuckin huge area and they live all throughout the metro. Same for Grand Rapids, Flint, Ann Arbor, Saginaw. Battle Creek, Kalamazoo, and Lansing and all points in-between. They're nocturnal so you typically only see them at night and especially on garbage day.

Haven't travelled that much around in the US, I've only been to New York, San Francisco, Tampa, Los Angeles, San Diego etc. But yeah, I get your point. I don't really hang around dumpsters at night when I'm travelling.

>Now I live in a suburb in the northeast, we don't have alleys or dumpsters here, and I've never seen them.

must not be SeaTac or the surrounding area 'cause they're all over the place there.

>I don't really hang around dumpsters at night when I'm travelling.

>dumpsters
>in neighborhoods

>SeaTac
No. That would be northWEST. Northeast is like New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, etc.

dammit, I saw that and wrote SeaTac anyways.

my bad. still... That's even worse. They're everywhere from Maine to Tennessee. I really don't get how you haven't seen one.

I have, although it was just a small 16x2 LCD connected to a BBB running arch, it was fun to develop. My next project to create a new one to drive a small graphical LCD and a BME280 to gather data and display on it the LCD, maybe even add FRAM support for portability.

(yes, I am aware uSD card would be a better idea but that requires interacting with the filesystem, I rather write raw data to start learning and then move into FS inteactions)