How big of a deal was Y2K in the late 90s?

How big of a deal was Y2K in the late 90s?

Other urls found in this thread:

y2038.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was mostly a marketing thing

my parents fell for it apparently, covering the entire outside of the house with cling wrap because someone told them it would protect from radiation or something.

I work for local government...
I'm still finding old documents referring to Y2K recovery and solutions...

Are there documents about 2038?

For regular people it was just a brief punchline for evening talkshow hosts.

For a handful of people specializing in maintaining ancient hardware for banks and corporations is was several weeks of non-stop work patching old and irreplaceable systems, but they got it done in time.

Ten years from now an even bigger problem will come up when every 32bit Unix clock rolls over to 0, so that will be fun to watch.

Wow.

biggest non-event of the millenium

that gave jobs back for them old fortran and cobol programmers

Is the joke that cobol programmers are lizard men?

Dinosaurs.

what isn't a joke is how much cash old cobol programmers are raking in to keep bank software running.

I just watched the Dilbert cartoon episode about Y2K. It's actually pretty good.

What's still running on 32bit tho, I can't think of anything important

No one actually uses Unix. It's just something LARPers claim to use to make them seem smart.

Basically any embedded device.
Those fancy new drug delivery systems hospitals use to regulate dosage over time? Yeah, those run on 32-bit embedded devices. If that fucks up, there's a good chance it'll kill someone.

the millennium ended 31. December 2000
they should have celebrated this 2001 not 2000

They had other things to worry about n 2001.

The media freaked out over it and nothing happened.

>the millennium ended 31. December 2000
This is the 3rd most retarded post I've seen today.

only real useful post in the thread

I was born, so it is real big problem.

there is no year zero.
you always live in an incomplete year
we are currently "in" year 2018

SO/HO hardware became cheaper, so people upgraded

This is the 2nd most retarded post I've seen today.

Are you John Oliver?

Unix time, you dingus. Every computer runs on it.

I do get what you are saying and I have heard people say this before...

but in my eyes, the 31st of December 2000 was 0.99 years through the first millennium.

Not Windows.

apple products are worth the money

well then stop useing depreciated processors then. 64 bit is the standard motherfucker

Yeah but that costs money tho

Some autist has been running a website dedicated to Y2038 since 2000.

y2038.com/

Y2K superceded the 1990's and led to the 21st century being implemented.
It was really big as nobody had ever lived in the 21st century before and they felt special and alive, then they realised that the 21st century was going to be even shitter than the 20th century and full of transgender perverts and transvestites calling the shots

Will we even still be around in 2038?

The world was always run by freaks and perverts, they just kept their child fucking hidden back then.

typical jewish excuse..

Those will probably be replaced a few times by then. I can't imagine electronics in an environment full of piss, shit, blood, sweat, bleach, and other goodies would last all that long.

>back then
back when? before caligula?

I work in a papermill and a big ass DCS control systems pretty much sure that is on a 32bit Unix. We are talking a hundreds meter long machine.

If you can't think anything useful you didn't see where real work and things are done in this world.

>64 is the standard
kys it's 32 and will be for the next 10 years

the majority of computer infrastructure runs unix-based operating systems, turd

Yeah maybe in your chink phone or shitposting 'daily driver', but there are places where a change can mean problems, problems mean no production, no production means that if it ain't broke, don't even touch it. I have right in front of me a motor supervision that is working on a Pentium 3 with a proprietary OS resembling windows 3.11

Intel doesn't make 32 bit processors anymore
AMD doesn't make 32 bit processors anymore
IBM doesn't make 32 bit processors anymore
Oracle doesn't make 32 bit processors anymore
Fujitsu doesn't make 32 bit processors anymore
64 bit ARM processors are common as fuck (even Raspberry Pis have them now)
MIPS is dead
RISC-V's only implementation so far is 64-bit

I mean we had Tiberius, so yes.

The only Y2K problem I ever found was a problem with the dates on messages on my University's Usenet News server.

By that time, I was probably only one of two people still using that news server.

For Intel and AMD they're mostly hybrid processors capable of running 32-bit code. Even OSes still have tons of legacy 32-bit code. Fortunately we did away with 16-bit, but it's going to be a while before win32 dies out.
I think legacy BIOS will be gone by 2020 and at that point they'll start phasing out 32-bit.

It was hilarious. so much fud, like being in some weird movie. I was 22 at the time and worked in tech support, so got to experience the very best of it.

>he doesn't know that the apocalypse will begin before 2038

>I think legacy BIOS will be gone by 2020
Why though? It was better. The boot standard was simple, and not a spaghetti designed by a pajeet.

Your genes must be bredy gud

>MIPS is dead
that's pretty ignorant

what the hell does it even have to do with the hardware?

He said ten years from no user, that's 2028, not 2038

90% of the software that runs the world is 32 bit

similar.
i went with my dad to fill the pickup truck with a load or two of wood.
then we collected a few barrels of water.
(we live in the city)
the pile of wood was never used and slowly rotted away in the back corner of the lawn

What did you do with the water?

When the clock stuck 12, it all turned into acetone.
Strangest thing.