Souless bands

ITT: Bands with nothing but emotionless manipulation of instruments.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DyFLIK9kP2U
youtube.com/watch?v=Axemfr9pEeA
youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7sGgVRo5g
youtube.com/watch?v=17UQu85H-Qo
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1tfZM6LAYc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Favorite song by them, Sup Forums? Mine is December

YOU'RE
SO
BO
RING

Leaves is such a masterpiece. I really like the longer/dub tracks of Repetition.

lady elect niggaaaa

Agreed 100%.

yes, songs like Lowest Common Denominator are great

this series of tracks from Fake Train is also a big fav
youtube.com/watch?v=DyFLIK9kP2U

2deep4u, and first time in my life I really mean it

All the gardens are sprouting with flowers
All the treetops are bursting with birds
And the people all know that it's over

October All Over

Valentine Card is close

DUDE ANGST LMAO

Justin's feedback control is so precise in the studio. Intense yet calculated. He has a really unique tone and way of playing, despite having clear Sonic Youth influences.

ALL I DO IS CREATE AN ILLUSION

angst isn't soulless

good thread

i've never seen a thread start shittier in my entire life

"no."

Unwound? Really? They have some emotional as fuck songs though. Just listen to Lady Elect, Below the Salt, Envelope or Valentine Card/Kantina/Were, Are and Was or Is.

Agreed, but so much so that it has to be intentional.

How do I get into Unwound? I listened through their whole discography and nothing stuck out immediately. I don't have a whole lot of post-hardcore experience desu but I really liked some moments on Fake Train.

Like this.

Everyone loves Leaves and I love a few cuts off it but idk

How does he accomplish that, anyway? That and the opening to New Plastic Ideas. Shit's crazy.

>how do I get into Unwound
Just fucking listen to them, you idiot. Their entirety of their discog is at least solid, but
>I listened through their whole discography
Then drop them, listen to other shit, and maybe try again in a few months. It's that fucking simple. There's no dense guide or ritual here. We just fucking listen to the music, and we enjoy it.

your favorite band

bad moon rising and confusion is sex would fit the bill. sister has alot of emotion.

Don Caballero
most progressive metal
most IDM made in the 2000s
shitloads of jazz fusion

>Just fucking listen to them, you idiot
Wow, great advice, fuckstick. Hadn't thought of that one.

> Then drop them, listen to other shit, and maybe try again in a few months
I have. And I still don't see the appeal. I asked because I love a few standout moments and wanted to try and see if there were more that I was missing and if I was missing out by not having any real previous knowledge of the genre besides the basics like Relationship of Command and Repeater.

>How does he accomplish that, anyway? That and the opening to New Plastic Ideas. Shit's crazy.
I'm guessing loud volumes and just sheer control in his hands. His guitar model should add to the sound too, he uses pretty unorthodox, cheap guitars.

Don't stress it if you don't like them. I didn't like them for the first 4 or so listens. Listen to their music more in order, specially their first stuff I guess. They're pretty accessible post-hardcore, so their a good place to start in the genre in feneral.

this is literally /thread. No need to post more.

...how?
>inb4 it just sounds like noise

Again, really?

say that to my face you fuck

it just sounds like noise

ENVELOPE. Also Lucky Acid is one if the finest punk songs ever.

also this

SOULLESS
O
U
L
L
E
S
S

i know you're just memeing what ott said but i hope you don't actually believe him. listen to any of these and tell me they're not emotional
youtube.com/watch?v=Axemfr9pEeA
youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7sGgVRo5g
youtube.com/watch?v=17UQu85H-Qo
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1tfZM6LAYc

>radiohead
>emotionless
have you listened to radiohead, my dude

I know that they're an incredibly popular group, probably the most popular rock band of the last twenty years. That said, I feel absolutely nothing from their music. It feels soulless.

Kid A is an exception.

>Everyone loves Leaves and I love a few cuts off it but idk

I don't get the overblown love of Leaves either. It seems like a collection of mismatched experiments with the exception of Below The Salt, We Invent You, and a select few others.

A lot of Sonic Youth is like this for me.

Coldplay is the very definition of this.

There's nothing deep about Unwound though, they're a fairly typical representative of the 90s/early 2000s Northwestern US post-hardcore scene.
Pretty derivative too, if we're gonna be completely honest.

Soulless is a reddit-tier criticism.

Typical? Derivative? Please find me a suite like Valentine Card - Kantina - Were, Are And Was Or Is.

>I have. And I still don't see the appeal. I asked because I love a few standout moments and wanted to try and see if there were more that I was missing and if I was missing out by not having any real previous knowledge of the genre besides the basics like Relationship of Command and Repeater.
Listen to Yank Crime and Shape of the Punk to Come if you are trying to get into the genre. They are morre accesible than Unwound's stuff.

Yup, because Leaves Turn Inside You is just so derivative. Also read the OP that the user was replying too, if he thinks Unwound are a soulless band then I have to agree that OP doesn't get them.

It's just Fugazi mixed with Sonic Youth(and in Leaves Turn Inside You's case, late 70s/early 80s gloomy post-punk), there's nothing there to get too excited about.

The Shape Of Punk To Come is an abominable pile of shit.

What about these guys?

fugazi mixed with sonic youth and gloomy post punk sounds pretty damn original to me fag. also there's a good amount of classical compositional techniques on leaves

music you like but I don't

>fugazi mixed with sonic youth and gloomy post punk sounds pretty damn original to me fag.

To me it just sounds like bloodless and unexciting college rock shit but eh, tastes will be tastes.

>also there's a good amount of classical compositional techniques on leaves

Despite how pseudo-educated and post-ironic the RYM review that you read which claimed this may have been, that's not actually true.

So you cannot find me a suite like Valentine Card - Kantina - Were, Are And Was Or Is? Cool.

> Fugazi mixed with Sonic Youth(and in Leaves Turn Inside You's case, late 70s/early 80s gloomy post-punk)

Find me bands that sound exactly like Unwound to back up your exact words of "typical" and "derivative."

>The Shape Of Punk To Come is an abominable pile of shit.
You either love it or hate it I guess. I admire the ambitious parts.
Great band with a great discography. They also have the best basslines in the game.

>So you cannot find me a suite like Valentine Card - Kantina - Were, Are And Was Or Is? Cool.

That's a trio of loosely related songs which got mixed in as one single track on the album by mistake, it's hardly a "suite". Get real, you silly fucker.

>Find me bands that sound exactly like Unwound

Lowercase, 90s Blonde Redhead, Polvo, Lungfish, Chokebore, not all sound exactly the same but all testify to the fact that Unwound's sound is far from original.

Fugazi is dry as shit. Their music is like a piece of a rice cake. Not even a whole cake. Just some dry shit with no flavor that you wish you never wasted that much time of your life fucking with.

Nice one, I actually felt a little annoyed.

Will I be feeling like that 4~ years after?

>That's a trio of loosely related songs which got mixed in as one single track on the album by mistake, it's hardly a "suite". Get real, you silly fucker.

I bet you thought you were somehow informing of knowledge I was not already aware of when you wrote this you imbecile.

>Lowercase

All Destructive Urges was released after Fake Train. Strike two for the imbecile. The production is nowhere near as clean either.

90s Blonde Redhead's first album was also released after Fake Train. Strike three. Try again you fucking poser.

pleb

n i c e

>Lungfish
They are just blatant Fugazi ripoffs.

>Despite how pseudo-educated and post-ironic the RYM review that you read which claimed this may have been, that's not actually true.
listen to the terminus

lol didn't mean to put 'the'

Wait, isn't it a correct use?

technically yes, but i was referring to a song on the album called terminus (not the terminus)

witnessed

I think you have a diff definition of soulless than others. That's more of an "I don't really relate" kind of feeling, I'd say.