I am trying to get into classical music. I like a ton of bach's work, the fugues, the violin concertos...

I am trying to get into classical music. I like a ton of bach's work, the fugues, the violin concertos, the cello suites, air on g string, etc. I am also a fan of elgar's cello concerto and violin sonatas, rites of spring by stravinsky, debussy, eric satie, ravel. I also like that more modern, experimental type music, like schonberg, webern, schnittke, ligeti, Bartok (I like all these artists string quartets).

Idk what I could say specifically that I like. I don't like super technical, fast stuff like lizst or chopin. I guess I like atypical, unsettling or moving and relaxing pieces of work, that have a sort of critical feeling to them.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
crudblud.sjm.so/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

What are your favorite pieces of music by the greatest composer in human history?

I haven't really looked into mozart, I don't know where to start.

thank you, I think I see a few albums in there I have in the piles of classical music I've download.

For me, the grander the better, probably because the first actual piece I ever really listened to was Mahler's 2nd. Now, when I listen to classical, it's mostly Sibelius, Dvorak, Beethoven, and, yeah, Mahler.

I wish I could get into beethoven's symphonies. I have the karajan complete beethoven symphonies downloaded in lossless. I've just listened to the first track on a few of them, I think it left me feeling like it would be more powerful if I was listening to it live. I doubt it's really headphone music.

>karajan
Try a different cycle, his Beethoven isn't great.

will do

mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
crudblud.sjm.so/

thank you, I downloaded everything from these a while ago.

I have everything from those mega files, the gramophone collector's edition 1 & 2, what.cd collages including, nocturnes and lullabies, modern and contemporary, impressionist music, romantic music, 20th century cello concertos, string quartets, as well as the top 100 rateyourmusic classical music albums and beyond.

I pretty much just put on a random classical music album whenever I want to listen to classical music, but I guess I am just looking for guidance.

bump

I am also not an unexpert, but try listening to all Mahler symphonies.
You can download most of them in flac on the classical thread.

I prefer this recording of Bartok's string, but it's up to preference.

If you like these, listen to Shostakovich's string quartets

this recording for shost

that one has been sitting in my library intimidating me for a long time now. it's so fucking long, it's like 8 CDs worth of string quartet music and I'm just looking at it going like, bitch who da fuck u think u is?

You don't have to listen to it all at once you know.

Try Mozart's and Haydn's quartets.

I'll try to tackle it bit by bit, some time. Probably tomorrow, since I'm listening to Das Lied von der Erde right now and it's getting late.

harry potter is pretty neat

It's sad that debussy and ravel didn't write more string quartets, because their split album that's always re-recorded is really phenomenal. Definitely some of the most beautiful string quartets I have ever heard.

whats some good mass?
i dont know if i can get all those files...
pls respond

Sounds like we have similair tastes

Do not follow this chart, it's shit.

Try this DVD.

It's even worse than you think, almost all of Shosta's quartets are growers, you need to give each of them time to sink in and work their magic separately. For me it was like a solid month of nothing but Shostakovich string quartets. But goddamn are they worth it (except the first one, but it's also short and innocuous).

(in contrast with Bartok quartets where, even on the first listen it was immediately obvious that it was the best shit ever)

Saw it when it was at the los angeles opera pretty recently, it was GOAT

Nice. I'd love to see it live. The Colin Davis recording is my favorite but the Ingmar Bergman one is good too.