Just ordered this. What am I in for Sup Forums?

Just ordered this. What am I in for Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

racket-lang.org
scheme.com/tspl4/
mitpress.mit.edu/classical_mech
mitpress.mit.edu/books/functional-differential-geometry
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
github.com/sarabander/sicp-pdf/blob/master/sicp.pdf
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE18841CABEA24090
courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf
automatetheboringstuff.com/
1.droppdf.com/files/5iHzx/automate-the-boring-stuff-with-python-2015-.pdf
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
edx.org/course/how-code-simple-data-ubcx-htc1x
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Is_Mathematics?
yakovenko.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/cr.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wizard powers

Meh nice book but overrated by Sup Forums
racket-lang.org
Had mode SICP
scheme.com/tspl4/
Modern scheme book reference

I love german idealism/ phenomenology and watching the first lecture was like viewing computer science through the lens of german idealism. Everything was completely mind blowing even from the basics like viewing computer science as the art of black box abstractions and the computer as simply a tool. Getting my AS in mathematics for transfer so in the meantime I will work through this book as substitute for CS classes. Im p excited anons

Same autor two books more on scheme.

mitpress.mit.edu/classical_mech
mitpress.mit.edu/books/functional-differential-geometry

A lot of fun.
And a lot of work (at least if you want to do all the excercises).

It's a great idea to work through SICP, well written, not overly complex but astonishing deep in what they talk about and how. Mind that it was written for MIT students.

mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
github.com/sarabander/sicp-pdf/blob/master/sicp.pdf
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE18841CABEA24090

it spawned my harder for lisps and love for functional programming

Interesting perspective. I love the SICP lectures and have recently started reading German idealism. I can see the connection

brainlet here
how do I get into programming? do I need mathematics skills? how do I get good in mathematics in less than 12 months?

courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf

This book

Here is your task for today
Install Python, then create a script, modifying it in this order:
1. Print "Hello world!"
2. Count to 100, printing out the current number on its own line
3. Count to 100, but print out the current step only if it's an odd number
4. Count to a number that the user supplies on the command line, printing odd numbers up to that. A non-number input should be rejected with a message

but I'm a brainlet in mathematics

you definitely don't need math skills

Just need high school math, start with logic and math proof.

You need some math sensibilities

oblig
automatetheboringstuff.com/

>Mind that it was written for MIT students.

How is that important?

>do I need mathematics skills
web development is a good example that you don't need math
programming is a tool and if your problem doesn't involve math that the tool doesn't need to either. but knowledge of math concepts can improve how you think about problems and how you structure your programs
for me personally - state machines and graphs influenced me a lot

You should try to make any ML program. There is more math than code.

Don't fall for the pseud shit. CS academic wankery is all fine and good, but it's the most retarded approach if you're not big on math at the moment.
Start with simple easy shit to whet your appetite and train your motivation, only then decide in which direction you want to go.
See

thanks
I simply want basic skills to learn how to make simply but good software

here,
I approve of 's message

It's a gradual thing.
Start with the simple shit, keep on persisting and stuff will get easier, allowing you to take on more and more complex shit.

1.droppdf.com/files/5iHzx/automate-the-boring-stuff-with-python-2015-.pdf

Also, as optional "context, why shit was invented, how, history, subfields, etc" knowledge, consider occasionally watching a few minutes of crash course computer science.
It might give you some info that makes shit click, e.g. "why tf do we use this terminal CLI shit, why C/ASM/other weirdness".
Interesting. The info on the website is free and identical to the PDF FWIW (i.e. guessing here), so check both resources and see which format you prefer.

>What am I in for
You bought an overhyped book. Did you buy it for the right reasons, or did you drink the pseud koolaid?

I'm taking linux courses to understand bash and linux programming... let's see if I learn how to program in a few months

They are not books on Scheme, but rather books that just use Scheme as means to an end (computational physics/geometry). If you use them to learn Scheme, you're doing something wrong.

if you study 5 years of compute science where are you going to work? What kind of job do they offer to graduates? Fixing physics engine for video games? fixing chip design for intel?

Depends where you study and what you specialize in you idiot

>let's see if I learn how to program in a few months
Depends on how you define "learn how to program".
You'll learn how to do some programming-related shit in a few months.
But if you want, you can continue improving your programming skills for the rest of your life - it's a decently wide and deep field.

where? why does it matter?

they're sarmt

Disappointment.

saw a picture of the cover and thought it looked cool. Watched the first lecture and decided to buy it. If thats not the right reasons I donot know what is.

>muh vidya
no.
>fixing chip designs for intel
thats computer engineering
Imagine being such a brainlet you cant think of a use case for computer science

Learning to become a "software architect", i.e. a non-programmer who fucks with noob design software all fucking day and acting superior to the "unwashed" real programmers all day.

anons, is this a solid route to learn programming: HtDP > K&R > Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (until chapter 9, iirc that's the core of the book) > SICP > CTM?

A lie.

1. algos > 2. 70s portable assembly > 3. actual non-programmer book in one of easiest to learn languages > 4. scheme meme > 5. donevenkno
Doing 1,2 before 3 seems retarded, no?

what are you on about? how would working through the exercises and reading this book lead to to me becoming a non-programmer using noob design software?
can one person critiquing the book give reasons as to why they are, or is it just the natural Sup Forums contrarian response to something thats overhyped?

can you explain better?

To clarify: what does this book teach and since it's an introduction to computer science, what is the general goal of the computer science course?

Morons, just do this: functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

you think so? would you tell me why?

>HtDP
I want to have a solid foundation on basics of programming
>K&R
I want to learn C because, from what I read, it is a language every programmer should know and a language many, if not all, modern programming languages has as its basis
>Automate the Boring Stuff with Python
that's the book/e-book that gets recommended the most for people interested in learning programming with Python here in Sup Forums
>SICP/CTM
I want to strengthen my basics (I plan to skip/skim pages about subjects I've already learned reading HtDP); heard even if you're an experienced programmer those are books worth reading

any torrent for this? edx.org/course/how-code-simple-data-ubcx-htc1x

How to Design Programs pdf? I can only find the html version

Independent study. If you're good for it, you're in for a treat. Do the exercises, and use the old and new course websites for reference.
Consider doing it in racket r5rs scheme like the new SICP course suggests and not mit-scheme

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Is_Mathematics?
yakovenko.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/cr.pdf

is it good?

>crash course computer science

oh nice, they made videos about computer scie-

>woman

into the trash it goes.

IIRC HtDP was something SICP-ish in Racket, or general "best practices" and more theoretical.

Compared to that, AtBSwP is (according to themselves) aimed at folks with little/no programming background, and starting from the much more practical angle - e.g. you're doing daily task X over and over again. Here's how to automate that shit in easily understandable Python, close to zero CS theory required.

K&R - pretty neat stuff, but should not be the only resource to start with for kids these days. Introduces C, C is great for getting a closer-to-assembly idea of how the hardware works, and how the shit in Python is implemented.
But you can probably get a lot more bang for your buck if you learn most shit with Python, and compare and contrast with other languages to get a better understanding.

SICP. Worth reading? Yes. Same way getting introduced to FP, Haslel, Prolog etc is worth it. It's good CS theory, but starting from the more theoretical end of the field, although the knowledge there will be quite useful too.

In short, IMHO doing the HtDP, K&R stuff before the babby python stuff is ass-backwards. I'd recommend
- babby python book,
- timebox skims through K&R for similar shit as you're going through babby python book
- whatever else
- HtDP - skim SICP alongside it. IIRC HtDP was going for being a spiritual successor of SICP, and they're both messing with a Scheme-like, so it would make sense to compare and contrast.

What's CTM?

Don't worry, they even sneak in a few lines that sound SJW-y!
And some of their other series have full blown SJW propaganda here and there.

Srstalk tho, the compilation's good shit (for me, at least), so you're throwing quite the baby with the not-too-annoying bathwater there.

To also add a "teach a man how to fish" angle: read the ToCs of the books for yourself, give em each a 5 min skim.
Then, practice your prioritization skills - in this case, start with the shit that'll give you the most bang for buck. In my case, that's the shit that's not too hard, and not too trivial (picrel).

>Fundamentals
>Abstract Algebra

>Fundamental
>Abstract algebra
kek, typical FP weenies

Alternatively:
ooh, someone said they needed abstract algebra for that fus bus stuff.
I think it's discriminatory and frankly, a bit misogynistic, to use such sexist and theoretical material in interviews :o

you are a loser like the rest of /g .
You want to become programmer or computer scientist
LOSER

I wanted a good soul to make a small but decent post citing sources where to start to learn about programming
Many people go in depth with HtDP and C talks but they don't give people the basics to get into the basics/foundation of programming and logic

>computer
>science
This book has very little to do with either of those, faggot. git gud

Skip all that nonsense and just read about german paganism

>/g .

Or AI, logistics + math. Makes you wanna kys.

An outdated worthless book

>how do I get into programming?
Any "Introduction to language X" book is a good start
>do I need mathematics skills?
Really depends on what you are trying to do. There are things that require no math at all, and there are things that require fuckload of maths.
>how do I get good in mathematics in less than 12 months?
Go to crossroads, make a deal with the devil.

t. Web developer

Read introductory books on logic, set theory, geometry, arithmetic, linear algebra and calculus. Then start synthetising the fuck out of everything you've read and start seeing connections between all the branches of mathematics. You'll probably spend the first 8 months wondering wtf you're doing, but you will have a decent level in math after a year.

its the greatest compsci book ever written. Enjoy.

A great book about the theory of computation

It's a great book for how to evaluate and apply functional programming in a practical sense beyond mindlessly currying everything.

Keep in mind, it isn't OOP or a book about data structures. It's about defining functions and procedures and how to write good programs. However you can pretty much throw the book away once you enter web dev or code monkey fields because most programmers there won't be able to tell you the difference between a procedure and a function. They'll understand recursion but not how linear recursion or tree recursion works. It would come into it's own if you're ever working in a codebase that wasn't just codemonkey shit but chances are that's where you're going to end up.

90% of the jobs out there are people who just need competent coders who can deal with garbage codebases that have languished for decades. My national bank employs 200 COBOL programmers for example.

pls dont say that user ;-;

I liked your suggestion and I'm considering following it but main reason I want to start learning programming with HtDP (Scheme) and K&R (C) is because, from what I heard, it will make things much easier if I want to learn new languages in the future, what you say?

>timebox skims
how am I supposed to do that?

>what's CTM?
Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming; is considered as an upgraded/modern SICP

why would you order a book that is literally free

It's the truth, almost all the competent coders get snapped up instantly by companies that can pay big money for code monkeys. Web dev is heavily dominated by ageing mvc models that rely on very poor code that's done in PHP or Java with a js frontend. If you're lucky enough to get into actual application programming then you're probably going to be dealing with cpp .NET shit or some form of bespoke backend.

Honestly game engines used to be the most interesting to program from a functional perspective, so if you by some chance get into that then congrats. Based on my own experience and my friend's experiences, consider yourself lucky if you get to work with competent people period. I anecdotally have nothing but horror stories to tell you about working with code monkeys with digital media degrees from 15 years ago.

I just want to work on data systems in Haskell ;-; webdev shit will probably make me kys

chances are he will actually read it since he spent money on it.

>Google Inc.
not falling for any jews tricks, sorry

you know you could read it on the internet for free right?

yea well too bad, thank capitalism