"I'm a self-taught Java developer"

>"I'm a self-taught Java developer"

Notch is a self taught java developed, so BTFO faggot

Yes and he did a terrible job. He gave java a bad name single handedly.

What's wrong with autodidacticism?

Nothing, but most of the self taught "devs" I met have horrible coding style, don't follow any standards or conventions and are shit at planning software projects.

>Game sells for 2 billion dollars
>"yes, but he didnt optimize. There, I, a basement dwelling NEET, and superior"

Java isn't about making things "right", it's about standard ways of doing things, working in a team and shit like that.
"Self-taught Java developer" makes as much sense as self-taught fellator.

who can have a good idea that had poor execution and do well

Any resume that says someone is an x language developer goes into the trash. Unless its code monkey work nobody should lock themselves into a language like that

In other words: A self taught developer doesn't follow all the cargo-culted-to-hell development fad^H^H^H best practices, damn their actual skills.

Shut up faggot.

>people never specialize or have preferences

You shouldnt specialize in one language, you should spe ialize in software development.

I can't afford uni so self teaching and taking cert exams is my only pathway to a tech career. Please do not bully

except that doesn't even make sense because the mobile/console versions of minecraft are a port to C++ and they're actually way more popular than the PC version, the java version can be considered an unoptimized prototype

and yes, companies can sell based on the promise of a prototype, but you don't get a free pass on not optimizing things, someone has to do that work eventually if you ever want the project to progress past the prototype stage

>project works and follows standards
>smelly NEET gets kicked out by mom
>smelly NEET joins the project
>muh actual skills
>commits tons of shit that goes against standards
>everyone else needs to learn how does the new autist do things
Noting can go wrong!

It's ok user, don't let NEETs in this thread bring you down.

>spend many nights studying highly theoretical CS and keeping up on latest best practices
>get kicked out of house
>starving and dying of typhus
>do well in interview & finally land a dev job
>team is using visual basic 6 and PHP4
>nobody uses version control or does code reviews
>takes weeks to get simple bugs resolved
>everyone gets mad at you for trying to change things because "no one has time to learn new things we must write more code"
Sure is pajeet in here.

>applying for a job
>not using your skills to develop your own products
yikes, do people seriously do this?

>they don't do things the way I think they should

That's like specializing in surgery. Doesn't fucking work that way.

>he doesn't do things the way i think he should

There is a open junior java dev (spring) position in the town.

There's a big difference between unoptimized and complete trash. If he were an experienced dev, it would have been fine.

Penn cut his hair??

>>>/reddit/

You need to be able to pick up new languages and concepts on the fly. If you put all your focus into one language youre setting yourself up for failure.

Surgery isnt changing every minute like software is.