Is Julia worth it?

Hi Sup Forums,

I have heard one of the main Julia developers say that "Julia was written in Julia".

What does this actually mean?
What does it imply? (fast lang ??)
Does is have something to do with the LLVM Project?

Finally, What does Sup Forums think of Julia?

Other urls found in this thread:

adv-r.had.co.nz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's logo is gay

No.

MATLAB for prototype.
C++ for real code.

Anything else is a meme

This is the actual logo. I don't see how it's gay

OP here, can you say why?
Benchmarks showed great performance for Julia, and it's easy to write and master (kinda like python) compared to C++

When 1.0 is released it will be worth it.

What's a Julia?

it probably means that there is Julia compiler written in Julia

Isn't getting into it now will make me understand well its changes
(=>helping me write efficient code)
??

A programming language, check it out

Very good time get stable, but use Python meanwhile.

>hating fun

>Is Julia worth it?
What do you mean? :(

It's me!

People like this guy are the absolute worst in industry. You need to learn that there's a place and time for every major language. Trying to force one language into every possible scenario is how we end up with terrible code

Is learning it right now, and start using it for project rewarding?
Will it allow fast code, and become knowledgeable in few years, or will it be forgotten and I would have had wasted my time

> array index starts at 1

OP here, I agree with you.
But if I tell you I am interested in Mathematical programming, optimization, stochastic, AI, ...
Would you recommand julia?

>MATLAB for prototype.
EH
EAH
AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

he is implying that his name is julia... but julia is a girls name and there are no girls on the internet.

Femanon i'm going to track you down and and consensually rape you if you don't mind
plox accept request

OP here. Oh, I guess I am dumb I didn't get it first

Don't. I was close to being raped once IRL, and it's horrifying. Some guy tracked me about 250 metres in a night, I was coming from work on foot. He even went into the apartment building after me and climbed to the last floor to see if, and in which apartment I get it. He was too far behind to notice exactly though. He then went outside and was roaming around the building to see where lights go off, but I changed in dark and then went to sleep. It's terrifying, seriously

>matlab
ehehehhhh

Julia is great, its the perfect scripting language. It borrows Python's universal for-in loops which are really just mapping functions that provide everything including comprehensions, so you dont need to use map, reduce functions like you do in Javascript or Ruby. And Julia throws out OO so you are not worried about what scope the "this" keyword is pointing to in functions. Even Javascript prototype OO the "this" keyword is a major pain to deal with.

Wow it's like you hate fun, pussy.
i literally wait every night for a home invader so i can unleash my tacticool night fighting skills.

Is the interpreter installed on basically every HPC or supercomputer? No? Then I'm not using it.

>I have heard one of the main Julia developers say that "Julia was written in Julia".
>Does is have something to do with the LLVM Project?
I dont understand how so many recent scripting languages can use a static C++ compiler as a backend to scripting language interpreter, that doesnt even make sense.

Why doesn't it make sense to you?

compile times in a C++ compiler are pretty long, I dont see how that could be fast enough to use as a scripting language repl

I wouldn't call that fun. I was shaking in fear.

> People like this guy are the absolute worst in industry.
Reinventing the wheel is the actual problem here.
Julia offers NOTHING comparable to MATLAB beside "it's driven by open source community" and "look at these new syntax sugar" bullshit

> You need to learn that there's a place and time for every major language

For engineering, there's only two worthy tools: MATLAB/Simulink and NI LabVIEW/Teststand
Show me the "Julia equivalent" for Simulink or Simscape.

right now i'm tracking your IP

Still better than this piece of shit.

Lol, good luck. Something tells you'll need it.

You won't be able to hide in the shadows next time.

Why are you a cunt on the internet?
Who hurt you?

I used it during 0.4, and I liked it.
Then, arraypocalypse hit in 0.5/0.6, and I stopped maintaining my packages.

I never really appreciated how much ecosystem maturity matters for the work I do, but it means that I prefer R/Python by miles. Usually, with numba, I can get what I need from python.

Maybe someday I'll go for Julia if I get bored or if there's some unique/better tool I find useful.

only fags care about logos

Do youu actually use R?

yeah. I teach students in R, and do my science/teach grad students in Python.

Julia is a girl's name, it's a language for girls, if you use it as a guy, you're a gay faggot.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

> I teach students in R, and do my science/teach grad students in Python.
Does that mean that R isnt relevant anymore and only exists because curriculums werent updates?

>I cannot into memory management, please baby me in c++

no...? it means that the program I was hired in now teaches R, and the program I was in before for graduate school teaches python.

Personally, I prefer python for what I do in stats/ML, but R isn't going anywhere. It's got an insane amount of buyin for it to just fold.

How good are you with R? Do you know any advanced level books on it?

I'm writing a book using it.

I dig the advanced R book by Hadley, but I tend to dislike the pipe-heavy tidyverse code. I think it's pretty difficult for people to work with.

adv-r.had.co.nz/

How's the standard library? Rich like Python or bare like Lua?

Thanks a lot. I with I will learn R above uni labs some day.

just kill him with a hammer u silly thot

Fuck I'm gay

>OP here, I agree with you.
>But if I tell you I am interested in Mathematical programming, optimization, stochastic, AI, ...
>Would you recommand julia?

For HPC applications related to optimization or modeling, fortran reigns supreme currently and for the near future at least

For this
Reason