>reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Music Theory:
>justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
>hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Floyd Rose Setup Video Tutorial:
>[YouTube] Floyd Rose Setup Part 1 of 7: Introduction (embed)
Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Impulse Response Pack
>mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods Cab 1.3.rar
>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav (embed) (embed)

Free VST downloads (amps and effects simulators):
>vst4free.com/

ASIO drivers (essential to use VSTs while playing):
>asio4all.com/

JACK Tutorial for Linux audio production
>libremusicproduction.com/articles/demystifying-jack-–-beginners-guide-getting-started-jack

>Advancing Guitarist Mick Goodrick
mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8

>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Others
>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
>Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
>Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xMXwhPKVMM0
vocaroo.com/i/s0svK0LdgO0a
soundcloud.com/manwithgunband/03-this-side-of-heaven
clyp.it/zmyzf3ce
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

daily reminder to not shitpost and to be friendly members of the /gg/ community

Did someone say Gibson quality control?

second to remind everyone leather straps are generally garbage and nylon ones are GOAT

Current/dream gear template.

don't argue over nonsense
>not sheepskin

Pretty happy with my setup atm but would definitely replace the amp and love to get the JM someday. Also I'm on my way of getting all those pedals (and then some) so they're not really as important as 'dream'.

Is Humbucker - single coil - Humbucker the best pickup configuration for a guitar to have?

dream shit is in addition, maybe a nice Orange stack but I dont have any experience with them cause small country with poorly stocked stores

i can't into photoshop atm so words will work
current:
>guitar
tele classic
>amp
ac4tv vox
>pedals
proco rat, big muff pi, memory toy

dream:
>guitar
true vintage tele in 10/10 condition
>amp
marshall dookie mod desu
>pedals
idfk they're just toys, i want a couple hundred. i can't think of one that i NEED atm even

>made a new one because we're slow and this one will die overnight

Threads stop bumping at 310 posts, it would have died in about an hour no matter what

What's wrong with amp?

Nothing wrong with the DRRi, I love it, but the Tone King Imperial MkII is pretty much an objectively better version of it.

Why a whammy and a pitchfork instead of just the whammy or pitchfork+expression pedal

Seems very redundant

I'm pretty satisfied with my bass rig, but want a better guitar setup. I kind of want to rewire the shitty Rogue bass, maybe replace the pickups. I'd be interested to see how good I could make it.

yeah but we usually go to like 380~ so it felt like I made it early

sell it to me

What do you mean?

sell me your ddri

No me.
Put it on reverb and ship internationally and I'll buy it

>dean on the OP image

see you all in the next thread I guess

I'm in Brazil. You're better off buying one used locally.

Also, while I do dream about the Tone King, there's no way I can afford dropping $2,500 on one right now when my DRRi is worth maybe $800 used.

The Tone King is objectively better but it's not 3x better, so I'll hold off until I have enough disposable income to justify the upgrade.

I need a pedal to make a really weird sound

I use the carbon copy and the timeline when we have a noise break but I'm looking for something more unique

Is upgrading an acoustic guitar worth it?

I've had the same $150 Yamaha for years; since I've gotten adept at guitar I've started to notice some flaws, mostly an overall weak and not very resonant sound. Still, it's set up well and is playable.

Is it worth spending several hundred for a higher-end acoustic? How extreme is the difference in sound? I know with electrics the pickups and everything will make a difference but I don't know if muh woods are like that for acoustics.

It's with acoustic instruments where you notice the most difference when price increases.

The difference between a $3,000 Martin and a $300 Yamaha is very noticeable, both in sound and playability.

The difference is much more subtle with electric ones.

there's 3 tiers of playability for acoustics

entry: 100-200

oscar schimdt makes a decent one

decent: 450-600

martin 15 series, or whatever it is, the road warrior that Tim Barry plays

high level: 900-infinity

minimum is probably the taylor 310-ce, max is however much money you want to waste

anyone else have absolute shit guitars that they love for some reason?

this is my frankenstined 1968 Ibanez model 1910
bought it for $100 and it got me through a few years where I was broke as fuck. in good condition they sell for quite a bit.

currently saving up for mods on the jag, wanna put a staytrem bridge, change the nut and put a humbucker in the bridge position

It's kinda worth it. The difference isn't crazy they might even sound the same to you.
low end yamahas use cheap woods and finishes so maybe yours sounds a bit damp or washed out. They also just don't look as good.
This is something you MUST try in store first though, I seriously like my $200 yamaha

Why is your dream guitar another shitty guitar?

What kind of sound? What do you want? Strings, synths, envelope filters, hard flangers? Arpeggiators or sound retainers?
What is going on in your noise sections? Also, a pedal just for noise or something practical that can be tweaked for usability?

No.

Isn't that an Aria? Those aren't shit guitars m8

that's the thing, it's hard to explain

I kind of use my janus pedal as my chaos pedal when the fuzz takes everything over

and I have two of the better delays (in my experience) for random knob fuckery

just looking for something unique

someone posted a boss echo pedal in the last thread that seemed kind of interesting

Nvm, haven't played one of those. Probably made in the same factory though

I have seen pictures of them branded Aria, Ibanez and, ABC Hon.
no they are not bad but mine is. the neck shifts despite having been reset several times, and a hole was cut in the back to convert it from a hollow body to semi hollow.

>have to pay 60 dollars for a piano tuner to come tune my piano
>have to turn on a piano heater for 24/7 to keep it in good condition
>a cello string, ONE cello string cost more than my pack of 6 strings
>violin bows are insanely expensive

How does it feel to play the superior instrument, /gg/?

do piano owners really not know how to tune their instruments?

how often do cello strings break?

how long do bows last? I have a violin but I never figured out how to do vibrato so it just hangs on the wall.

>do piano owners really not know how to tune their instruments?
It's extremely complicated tuning a piano and it's a skill-set on its own.

It's not like turning tuning pegs on a guitar.

I don't know if calling it "dream" gear is really accurate. Just stuff I want and stuff I'm happy with

i get that it's like 88 keys over 7(8?) octaves but you can buy equipment to help with that

cellists change strings about once a year, sometimes more if they happen to be wearing faster or they clean them too aggressively.

Violin bows don't tend to get replaced very often, but they do get rehaired once or twice a year.

because it's actually a fucking amazing guitar

>SG
>single pickup poverty Gibson SG
>amazing guitar
super lol

It's not easy to tune a piano. Period. Not just because of the extra amount of keys.

You require special tools and training. It's easy to fuck the whole thing up if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Here's a video of an expert taking over one hour to tune a piano: youtube.com/watch?v=xMXwhPKVMM0

I agree.

pic related

dude that Tone King amp is ugly. The DRRi is a thing of beauty.

the Pitchfork sucks.

nice dream guitars

you don't ever use your phaser for noise breaks? The Carbon Copy delay tweak during noise breaks is something everyone does now, so I'd avoid that.

I was the one who posted that Tera-Echo. I watched more demos and now I think it sounds like shit. Too synthetic/digital-sounding

>dude that Tone King amp is ugly. The DRRi is a thing of beauty.
I would never buy or consider an amp based on looks over how it sounds. It could look like shit as far as I care.

Nevertheless, I think it still looks great.

What is better then in your opinion?

HSS or SSS. Or you could go with HSH and coil tap the humbuckers.

Why exactly do you think it's better? you just like how single coils sound like more than humbuckers? okay then.

My guitar is HSH and i use the humbuckers on my guitar more then the single coil by far, espicially the neck humbucker clean.

I play with HSH too, but I always find myself wishing I had a HSS or a SSS instead. Mainly because I prefer the clarity and high end of a single coil in the neck position, it's less muddy somehow.

Middle is just there to add tonality options.

As for the bridge, I would prefer H but S is fine too, I could always drop some single sized humbucker or a piledriver into it.

reminder to not respond to any trips

filter them instead

keep /gg/ pure

It's a low end shitty gibson

vocaroo.com/i/s0svK0LdgO0a
The satisfying tone of an unplugged Tele

wait do you have the j. mascis squier?

because that's a better guitar than a real gibson sg

he has a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster, trust me it's not better than a Gibson SG.

well that's fair

wait I mean Jaguar my bad. My statement holds.

if you're just knob tweaking delays right now, then everyone and their mom does that now.
so if the drummer is playing soft during this noise break, do: strings if you're good at chords (pedals like organizer, mel9, verbzilla). If they are short breaks, you could try pitch shifting to shift a chord down/up before the next section (whammy, ps-6, drop/ricochet, pitchfork) or a synth envelope filter (boss syb-5, digitech synth wah).
If the section is longer, try a deep and crazy flanger, a step sequencer or arpeggiator (seek wah, ringtone, arpanoid, ibanez dml-10). Maybe some sample and stutters (malekko foxtrot).
Then if you want a 1 trick pony, try the rainbow machine lmao. There's a new reverb in the market that's pretty unique. It's got 2 knobs that control the pitch of 2 separate reverb voices. Like expanding the usable part of the rainbow machine. Look for that
Also, some people will dig the tera echo processed sound.

Buying a MiM Fender Tele 60th anniversary for $300, has a small dent and some of the finish came off but otherwise brand new looking. I'm inspecting it in person tomorrow, is there anything i should look for besides neck damage, a warped bridge, rust, frayed wiring or a fucked up truss rod?

When i was younger, I really wanted an SG. Then I kept trying them and I never got a tone I liked from them clean or distorted. Not clear enough. Plus the weight was a drag

The infamous neck pocket crack.

i appreciate your post

soundcloud.com/manwithgunband/03-this-side-of-heaven

that's what we did for the EP, noise part starts around 3:20

I just don't think it stands out enough and want to make it weirder

This.
but for $300 that wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, esp with that big dent.

>checking for frayed wiring
are you gonna open up the guitar in front of the guy? I'd ask to plug it into an amp and play. Any problems going to be really obvious.

You need to make some feedback and add more highs to your mix. Turn up on your volume knob for that part, too.

can't really tell you what pedal to get. this is where imagination and research pay off.
also I couldn't work really think of a proper noise for that part because i wouldn't try to add noise to that part

do you play power chords with the ring finger or the pinky?

pinky

both

Pinky.

Both, depends on the situation.

>not playing power chords exclusively with your index finger

i find playing them with the ring finger just generally a hassle. pinky is better

>including the octave

Wait, there are really people with hands so tiny that they play two-string power chords with their index and pinky?

I play octave power chords because that's the patrician choice

I have big hands, but use different fingers for power chords depending on what happens next (or before).

actually i think most people play it that way

see

don't you think they sound very different? They both have their practical uses

also, wtf. are we really discussing power chord fingerings? I feel like this is my first guitar lesson in 2006

Maybe he just started playing?
No problem helping newfags with their playing.
Better than having more of those guitarists who never use their pinky for anything.

i save my pinky to stick it in ur girls bum while I shred all over your face. nah jk ur alright. but the fingering on powerchords should be figured out naturally since everyone's different. my guess is that every riff affects the fingering of the preceding riff (or chord, right?). Or at least that's what I've noticed with me.Then those little nuances going from riff to riff turn into habits and ultimately playing styles.
tl;dr he should figure the fingering on his own out of what's comfortable/natural. too much thinking in his approach

>too much thinking in his approach
True, but it's easy to stress over little things too much when you're just starting.
Anyway, yeah, the answer is usually just
>practice more, play more

Oh you mean like Eric Johnson?

I shouldn't say he never uses it, but he plays leads pretty much exclusively with his index, middle, and ring fingers.

Well he does use it for chords obviously, but yeah, he is a three finger player basically.
And, yeah, it bothers the fuck out of me visually.
Even if he is a master at it, it's just... stressful to see people play like that.

are you guys aware of "your" sound? you style? Are you consciously trying to develop it to sound different (yourself)? Any quirks you're trying to add to your repertoire?

Haha, it looks a bit weird but he has excellent control of the fretboard. He plays a lot of odd note groupings, like 5s and 7s.

His playing doesn't bother me as much as Buckethead's, at least from a visual standpoint, who seems to use his pinky when it would probably be easier to use his ring finger. Like, every time he plays a 3 note run on a single string with a minor third he uses his pinky. And like, he's an incredible player but I can't figure out why he would choose to play that way.

Why not

how is that jm

upgraded from a really basic Bulgarian-made classic guitar to pic related, difference is night
and day. They way it sustains a tone, the way it feels and plays, the overall fullness of the sound.

Unfortunately we pay crazy high import prices in the EU for American guitars (even though this one is Mexican), but they go
for around $800 in the US.

>under $300
don't bother, maybe a used Taylor if you can find one

>$400 - $500
Seagull makes some really decent guitars, Yamaha as well.

>$600 - $800
Taylor 110e, 114ce

>$1000 - $1500
Taylor 200 series, Gibson J-15, Takamine

>$1500 - $2000
Taylor 300 series, Takamine

$2000 - $2500
Taylor 400 - 500 series, Martin D-28

Or just get a D-45

my hands are giant, but it depends on the context. i don't really think about stuff like that anymore, it's second nature

what kind of strat is that?

It sounds alright and feels great, bridge is shit though so I'm going to replace that soon.

eyyyy my first lesson was in 04-05 as well. weird

Why would using your pinky consistently (where you described) be bad? I do the same thing and don't really see where it would be detrimental to use your pinky. Seriously curious here.

For Special edition 60's strat.

Squier Jazzmasters are shit. I bought one and it was a waste of money.

My playing is very legato. I use a lot of hammer on/pull off licks, slides, sweeps, string skipping, tapping, etc. I can alternate pick really well but I like my playing to sound very fluid and sax-like, and alternate picking for more than a few notes at a time can sound too percussive to me. In terms of "quirks". I listen to and play a lot of jazz (which I play with a lot more alternate picking for that Wes Montgomery-ish be bop sound) so I always look for ways to get some of that "outside" sound into my phrasing, and I would say that I've most consciously worked on developing my note selection and, more recently, my ear for jazz language. And I guess in terms of tone, I like clear, overdriven leads with a nice punchy mid range: think Greg Howe.

Here's a short clip of me improvising over a Dm7 backing track. I feel like this is a pretty good representation of the direction I'm going:

clyp.it/zmyzf3ce