/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-10-ltsb-2016-iso.74013/page-2#post-1362825
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I bought a old "business" PC with Windows 7 on it years ago and cloned the HDD to another for the free W10 upgrade. Everything worked fine until recently I built a new PC and just moved the drives over. I'm getting the "activate windows" shit and the product key I have from the company that I bought from is no longer working because I didn't link the product key to an e-mail account.
Any idea how to fix this or get rid of the activation shit? I tried other keys online and none of them work.

>I got annoyed that my power supply wasn't working so I put a 4 pin female fan cable in to a 3 pin male, it started smoking slightly for a second before I turned it off, am I screwed, and if not what is the right keywords to put into ebay so I can get a 3 pin adapter

>You shouldn't see it unless you are really stressing out your card playing really intensive games, for now don't worry about it.
>Download and open Speccy.

Already got Spiccy. Here you got
>CPU temp
... that ain't good is it?

How come I stopped getting matches on Tinder and some profile keep showing up multiple times?

>CPU temp
Not really, is your case fan working?
>Z97-HD3
>1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
>1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
You are currently using the second slot, which is a X4 slot.

Well back to the CPU temperature, no is not.
Could you post a screenshot of your case?

>screenshot
Photo*

windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Just pirate it.
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products

Yeah sure. It's a mess but here you go.

Could you post a closer picture of the heatsink?
Also try to touch the aluminium part of the heatsink, is it hot?

Hey dumb user here.
My latest windows 10 update added Cortana on some other bloatware. I'm tired of these forced updates. Would you recommend downgrading to windows 8/7 or some other OS?

What's the point of having private and public classes ?
I've never used a language that had these and I don't understand why you would not want to have everything public?

What the hell can I do this? Literally last 2 days my internet has been randomly spiking/losing packets? Am I shit out of luck taking comcast dick?

With Windows 10 LTSB you can disable forced updates, comes without cortana and you can turn everything that makes Windows 10 bad.
Yes, also everyone will tell you Linux too.

>heatsink
>aluminium part of the heatsink
This metal bar thing? Sorry, brainlet. Nah it's not hot at all really. Now again I'm not running a game at the moment.

if everything is public, that means anyone with access to the code can access everything, which is a security concern. someone could also accidentally access something they're not supposed to and break things.

No i meant your CPU one.
This part of your PC is what speccy marking as 97°C.

Much appreciated. But how can I get LTSB? Must I torrent it? Will I loose my apps and info on my current Windows 10?
Sorry if I'm too dumb here.
I tried Ubuntu didnt like it.

In simple words, Mainly for reliability reasons, to stop from stuff from fucking everything up because they are touching something they shouldn't.
Then there is the security reasons.

It's for creating an API. You want to obfuscate the inner workings of your API so that if you have to redesign something the API doesn't change and thus everything that uses it will keep working.

If you want, there is a mediafire link around, then there is the torrent magnet link.
>Apps
If you mean programs yeah, you will have to reinstall them.
>Info
No unless you want to, when you reinstall windows it asks you if you want to keep your old files.

Ubuntu is too harsh on new linux users, you should try Linux Mint.

OOF. I look like a dumbass don't I?
Anyways, I shut the computer off (can't really touch the metal through the fan) and it didn't seem to be warm at all. I did give it a quick dust with a can of air before taking the pic tho, and I did dust it this week, so if that's what you're looking for don't worry.

No, what im wondering is that if its making proper contact with your CPU, the aluminium heatsink is supposed to be hot, is what keeps your CPU cool, and because it is working at 97°C that means is not making contact properly.
Reseating it is easy, but you will need thermal paste, and isopropyl alcohol to remove the old paste.

>but you will need thermal paste, and isopropyl alcohol to remove the old paste.
Fuck me. It's 1:30 at night here, so it wont be happening tonight. And to be honest, I don't trust myself doing that kind of stuff. Is this an "ignore it and it'll go away" kind of thing, or is it a "This will break your computer" sort of thing?

Mislink

Excellent, I will search the links then. Much appreciated user, youre a godsend.

I will try out Linux Mint aswell, I'm tired of goddamn adware everywhere in every single OS and program I see.

Just wiping it off with a paper towel is good enough.

Its a this will break your computer sort of thing.
CPUs are supposed to work at 20-80°C, not 90°C+.
For now press the 4 corners and check if they are properly locked in place.
Meanwhile your GPU will be fine.

Do you want the mediafire link or the torrent?
Also Windows 10 LTSB comes without adware, its what W10 was supposed to be.

Not really.

It won't break anything. You can even run any modern CPU without any heatsink on it at all. It'll run super slow, but it'll survive.

user is running a I7-4790K overclocked, and its 90°C idle.

I cant explain it, I looked up the connection and its the little 3 prong one that the internet tells me are fan connections, but when I connect nothing all the fans work, but the computer runs for about 10 seconds before restarting, but the only power supply that works its the 250W one that came with it with a female 3 pin. the only constant is that when its plugged in, it works, when theres no 3 pin to plug in, I get the same problem no matter what PSU it is

user, buy a case fan.
Problem solved.
A 120mm is $4-5.
A 80mm should be $4 but will be louder.

Is there anywhere I can input a character and quickly see what it would be in a bunch of other encodings?

Trying to fix the scripts in a game with some badly encoded text showing up incorrectly, usually it's obvious what the character was intended to be but sometimes I've had to guess, and I don't know what the correct encoding for it actually is so I'm not sure how I can easily check this.

not the guy youve been talking to but youre 8 degrees below the silicone melting threshold and as long as you know how to put toothpaste on a toothbrush you can handle this

Is now Usagi the official /sqt/ character?

No.

would the issue be that if nothings plugged in the computer thinks theres no fans and shuts down

Yes, most computers wont turn on if they don't detect a heatsink fan or a case fan.

>Press all four corners
>Notice one is loose
>Push it in all the way and adjust
>Checke speccy again
>65ish
Must of came loose the first time it fell and I just didn't notice. Thanks again. I owe you one.

No problem, you might want to still repaste it in the long run, should reduce your temperatures by 15-30°C, it should be 35-55°C at idle.
Its not hard honestly.
A paste of tube is $5 (MX-4) and isopropyl alcohol is $6 per bottle, and cotton swabs or cotton is well cheap.

But now you can use your computer without having to worry about it breaking down atleast.
Still you might want to check your temperatures while you play games.
Or run CPU-Z stress test for 1-2 minutes.

I3 pretty good alternatives????????????/

Don't worry, I'm not worried about price, before you talked to me today I was going to dump money into a new GPU, imagine how pissed I'd be if a brand new GPU wouldn't of worked because of the motherboard.
Anyways, thanks a bunch, this is also my work computer, so you REALLY helped me.

Which ever version is more trustworthy. In case they-re the same, the torrent is more practical. Thanks.

No problem.
And yeah i would be pissed up to, specially because your GPU is worth $450-500 now, which is more than all your computer.

Torrent:
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-10-ltsb-2016-iso.74013/page-2#post-1362825
Download the normal version, not the N version.

Thank you based user!

No problem.
Here is what you have to do when you install it.
>I want to install and keep my files
When you make the USB check if your HDD is a MBR or GPT partition table.
>How.
Open windows partition manager, Right click your HDD> properties> Volume and check if it says MBR or GPT
This way you will know what you have to choose in Rufus so you don't have to delete your files.
Here an image.

Once you finish installing remember to click customize and not user express settings, and turn everything off, its microsoft shit you don't want.

If you want i can help you once you are done downloading.

I recently built a new computer and decided to save some cash by getting a Windows10 Education key for free through my college. Do they get any information on what I do on my pc now? I'd rather not have my college know what I masturbate to.

Chrome has stopped syncing my tabs and bookmarks
I need something I can manage bookmarks with where I can import the html bookmarks file from all of my chrome instances, remove duplicates, and be able to organize them and not be clunky about it (chrome and firefox default bookmark managers are clunky as fuck)

Just install LTSB if you want privacy.
And no, they exactly don't.

Let’s say you open a personal email on your work computer via gmail.
Would the IT department have visibility of the content in that email?

Are you using HTTPS? if so, not at all unless they provided you that email.

It appears I am using https, so hopefully I’m all good. Thanks

Install Linux.

Are buying WD Reds just for "reliability" an meme? I do plan on getting a NAS much latter on, so can I cheap out and just purchase Blues/barracudas instead?

No, reds do last more than other hdds, they are built with paranoid tier reliability.
They park when not used.

Why do i get so much spam? How do i stop receiving it altogether?

Does windows disk management see RAID1 as 1 or 2 drives? I'm asking because I fucked up and collapsed my RAID array while plugging in a second nvme drive, so now I can't tell if the unallocated drive in disk management is the new nvme drive, or the disconnected RAID1 drive which is currently being rebuilt. They're both nominally 500 Gb.

I have all of my music and movies on one windows 7 computer shared with everyone on my network. I installed mint on my laptop and I've been trying for 2 days to access my network with no luck. There has to be some program or something to handle this right? I don't even have a problem streaming files to my android phone.

is it dangerous to wake up a cat that is sleeping?

To this user, I've followed the post thread so I know where you're currently at.
You need to invest in a better CPU cooler. While you did fix your issue and have "better" temps, they're not terrific. When you can go and buy some thermal paste (cheap) and an aftermarket CPU cooler. Which one is up to you and depends on your case. The coolers are specific to chipset, the best way to determine what one is compatible is by using pcpartpickers.
For what its worth I get by with a Cooler Master 212 Evo, which is basically the next step up from OEM CPU coolers, but works really well for me and cost like $20. Pic related are my temps at idle.

Is there some transcript/document that outlines the lesson structure of language learning tapes like Pimsleur that use spaced repetition? I want to make a program to generate personalized lessons.

What's an elegant, non-brainlet way to organize my program and game shortcuts on Windows? Like in the start menu, but with more customization.

Should I renew rms.sexy?

Yes.

i have 5 laptops, 4 desktops, 1 3.5 inch unused internal hard drive and 4 2.5 unused internal inch hard drives.
once i remove the hard drives from the laptops and desktops, what's the cheapest way to have them all readily available 24/7?
server? docks? nas? computer filled with hard drives?
>raid 0
no

If my game timer updates every 0.005 seconds, how do I check it to determine whether the game should render or not if I want it to render once every 60 seconds? Or is rendering at the refresh rate a bad idea? Other suggestions?

Yeah dude and promote your site more. First time Ive seen it

how do i store files in l3 cache

why is it that a NAS without any included hard drives cost more than a fucking hard drive?
isn't it just like a big docking station?

What's a good calendar/planner program for windows?

>FX-8350 + low end mobo, 8GB RAM
>GTX 970
>240GB SSD
>case and 50€ PSU included
what price should i expect people to pay for this? i was thinking 500€

To increase abstraction

I rarely lurk on *chan anymore these days :/

Any decent way to sync files from and to my pc and android phone via usb cable?

adb

okay so being that this is the stupid question general is there an installer file or exe program that will just let me use it like iTunes or something?

My 3 cats all died within a few days of switching them over to some cheap cat food I bought on ebay, do you think it would be reasonable to leave the seller a negative feedback for this?

If I'm using HTTPS, my ISP can only see the websites I'm using, not the sub URLs nor the data, right? For example, they know I'm on YouTube, but can't know what I'm watching.

I need a browser that works and has a built in option to erase history on exit.

>Chrome and all of its variants
no built in option to erase history on exit, also whoever came up with the "let's build user accounts into a fucking web browser" thing should be shot

>Firefox
best option but actually breaks some websites now (yes, without addons too)

>Brave
meme, didn't block the piguiqproxy/amgload malware ads here even with custom filters

>My 3 cats

I'm all out of cats now. ;_;

Better go shopping for more!

just found a projector in my parents storage area, an epson eb-s6 specifically.
are there any do's and don't when it comes to projectors? the thing gets hot as fuck even on minimum brightness and i don't want to break the thing

Is there an application to optimize PDF files for small screen devices like phones?
I tend to read textbooks on my phone during my commute but most of those PDF files doesn't support text reflow.
Or maybe there are apps that are optimized for reading on phone?

Can the USB-C OTG adabter be used to connect Note8 to say a webcam or high gain wifi adapter?

If the pdf has too many images, convert to html and optimize images

dude, you didn't have to kill them that way. If the food is poison then leave a good review if it was supposed to be food tell them they fucked your cats up so no one else kills their cats.

>convert to html
Why and how?
The PDFs I want to read are in similar to pic related.
It does have several images, but file size isn't much of a concern to me.

I never get how this works. If they can see all incoming and outgoing data don't they have everything they need to decrypt the data?

>3rd world country internet
>using broadband
>Signal Strength: -40 to -50 dBm
>Transmit CCQ: 50%-70%
>ISP tell me to upgrade my hardware
Which one should I get?
Currently using NanoStation5.

Delet it and use a temp email service or proton mail. Yahoo offers an option to create a dispoable email address but I never used it.
Just call it though I wouldn't annoy it.
There was a program called fences I think. Look it up.
Yes
Beam and fast push(uses adb)

Power beam

If you are on HTTPS, you'll use the server's public key to encrypt, so only the server's private key can decrypt it (obviously only the server has it) and vice versa. So they know what you are visiting, but the packets are inaccessible.

Why is that anime girl holding a save button?

I see... So it uses some sort of one way encryption (as in that public key used to encrypt can't decrypt it)?

I'm not sure on the terminology, but yeah. Only the private key can unlock the public key and vice versa. You could theoretically break the encryption with the public key but that would take and unviable amount of time.

Cool stuff. Yeah I'm using my own words. Thanks for sharing!