Why RMS don't support OpenBSD or even TrueOS...

Why RMS don't support OpenBSD or even TrueOS? they include binaries but the bsd license is pretty decent when it comes to free software as freedom
lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-chat/2003-July/000825.html

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/hosting.html
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119757768504969&w=2
gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119750905506538&w=2
reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/43zk9j/new_release_of_libertybsd_a_bsd_distro_with_no/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>A friend was in a position to sponsor my usage of the site that his company used. That site runs FreeBSD, which is a free system. So I chose that site.
stallman.org/hosting.html

But GNU’s official statement is that BSD licenses are free as in freedom, although GNU license is better at protecting said freedom. So it’s not like RMS was ever „against” BSD.

>RMS
Protip the guy is a fucking imbecile but his autism resonates at just the right frequency to entice neckbeards.

but he doesn't endorse/recommend any bsd

Oh boy, you don't really want to start this again.

officially he doesn't neither FSF
Not that I want him to do so but I wonder why he doesn't promote it as an alternative to worse stuff like ubuntu or mint

Maybe because the leader of the OpenBSD project insulted him:
"Richard, your pants are full of hypocritical poo"
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119757768504969&w=2

insulting people is what makes gnu/linux interesting. Linus does it all the time. You don't have to take it personally

Is there any bsd that has no binary blobs, no proprietary software in its repository, and a clear policy of these things never being included?

this motherfucker is utterly worthless

Two strong men making a difference. We need more like them.

OpenBSD.

Robust discussion and points made. While Theo was correct, at least RMS made him consider the issue, who knows maybe Theo would have said fuckit and purged nonfree from ports, he's done some wild stuff in the past.

RMS makes us all strive for freedom, he's a great man and for sure those bants roll straight off his back.

ur mom

The problem RMS has with BSD is the proprietary software in the ports system. Comparable with the non-free repo in Debian. He's basically OK with the systems (he even used Debian for a while) but he can't recommend them. The logic behind that is that the systems suggest nonfree software to the user, which sends the message "it's OK to use proprietary software", but the correct message should be "we don't support nonfree software because it is bad for you".

OpenBSD doesn't include any binaries, it downloads them upon first boot if your hardware needs them. None of these blobs run in OpenBSD, they're firmware that your device needs to operate.

It is justifying proprietary software as a matter of convenience, which is not part of the GNU ethos.

so basically stallmann is being a snowflake because you can potentially install non-free software on openbsd/freebsd?

If it supports nonfree software, RMS doesn't support it. Easy.

I used to use the ports to install Opera, I'm sure Opera's not the only proprietary software in the ports tree.

It's your own fault if you have hardware that needs it. You used to have to run fw_update manually after the first boot, I don't really see why they changed that.

Yes, for freedom in Stallman's eyes an OS must deny users the freedom to easily install proprietary software.

RMS was encouraging them. OpenBSD has done incredible things for software freedom, maybe one day they will be 100% free. I know Theo would like that, he probably just got his back up at Stallman for preaching but they're both on the same team.

>It's your own fault if you have hardware that needs it. You used to have to run fw_update manually after the first boot, I don't really see why they changed that.
Even if it still did that RMS would still not recommend it.

Why did you do that when Firefox is available?

Wrong. What the user does with his own system is different from what the system suggests to the user to do.

I never said he would

Opera was better

big baby RMS is just pissed they made fun of him on mailing lists

>I never said he would
Maybe you need to find a different thread.

Maybe you need to eat a dick.

Good discourse.

You know it bby

Stop with the ebonics, wigger.

Then quit being a cunt.

Because I told you to post in accordance with the topic of the thread? You think people enforcing common board etiquette are cunts? You need to grow up.

>You think people enforcing common board etiquette are cunts?
No, I think you're a cunt for telling me to leave a thread while discussing the thread's topic. Cunt.

You're not discussing the topic, the topic is why RMS don't support OpenBSD or even TrueOS? You obviously don't want to discuss what RMS has to say about them, so go to another thread to discuss what you want.

LibertyBSD, fork of OpenBSD.

The thread's about why RMS doesn't endorse any BSDs, which basically boils down to proprietary software. I was discussing the inclusion of binary blobs and proprietary software in the ports tree when you told me to leave for being off topic.

No, you were not properly discussing RMS' view on the topic. Dismissing it. That is bad etiquette.

See it's shit like this that gets you called a cunt.

They even dedicated a song to him

Enforcing proper board etiquette?

No, being an insufferable sperglord. My post was perfectly related to the thread.

I wanna suck Stallman's 10 inch cock.

No, you were being totally dismissive of the topic. Go make another thread if you don't wish to discuss RMS.

No I wasn't, you decided I was.

If you are ready to discuss RMS you can apologise to me and I will discuss him with you.

I'd also like to point out that this discussion we're having is far more off-topic than any of my posts before you started being a twat, good job saving the thread from my relevant posts.

You can go fuck yourself.

There is nothing wrong with posting off topic to correct others. Nice insults, you act like a child. Perhaps you need to take a break for a while.

>the last 20 posts we've had that have nothing to do with the thread are better than the few extremely relevant posts I made
Yeah okay buddy

Yes, that is the gist of what I am saying.

Well that's incredibly dumb.

I disagree.

What a shock.

I wouldn't think so. I've been correcting you for a while now.

Notice how there's absolutely no relevant discussion in the thread anymore? That's all because of you.

No, I'd say it is because of you diverting from the topic, which you should not have done.

My post was more on-topic than 99% of Sup Forums posts in their respective threads, go bitch about one of them.

Just because there are other off-topic posts doesn't make yours acceptable.

>t. "I have no idea who he is but I'm a meme loving fuck who read those install gentoo macros XD"
Don't you have smartphone threads to shit yourself in?

>I wonder why he doesn't promote it
When has Stallman being in the business of promoting things other than free as in freedom software? You sound retarded, kill yourself.

Either way mine was acceptable and you're a cunt

I disagree and you shouldn't so childishly throw around insults.

Like I said earlier, don't be a cunt and I won't call you a cunt.

I'm not one, and i won't pull you up if you stay to the topic of the thread.

Again, this dispute is far less relevant to the thread than my thread-relevant posts.

Oh god, both of you shut the fuck up already, you've been at this for an entire fucking hour

Even if I stopped replying he'd just start sperging out the moment someone not mentioned RMS again.

This.

BSD, the #1 choice of underage edgelord contrarians.
Rarely used in serious applications.

No, it is relevant. Correcting bad board etiquette is always relevant.
Why is that an issue?

He or the FSF doesn't recommends them because:
-there are not strong rules on what software can make it in their repos and what not
-proprietary binary blobs
See the "BSD systems" section of gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

ps. there is an OpenBSD fork called "librebsd" which aims to be free-as-in-stallman by including ONLY free software and removing the firmware blobs altogether. They aim to be a FSF recommended distro.

There was no bad board etiquette to correct. If anything you're the one with bad etiquette, telling people to leave when they're discussing the thread's topic.

No, my issue was that you weren't discussing the topic.

Because he's a massive faggot.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119750905506538&w=2

I was though.

I disagree.

You mean the sperglord who wrote that wall of text is a massive faggot.

He doesn't recommend Debian either. The OS has to not only come with zero nonfree parts, but also not have a way to install nonfree parts via repos hosted by the distro. This is where Debian fails, hosting their own nonfree repo.

Spamming "I disagree" doesn't do anything magical, no matter how many times you post it you're still wrong.

I'm just stating that I disagree with your perspective. I still disagree.

>You mean the gentleman who wrote that thorough refutation is a massive scholar.
FTFY

Stallman got utterly BTFO and you can stop pretending otherwise. Faggot.

because Richard stallman is too busy masturbating while conjuring images in his mind of how great he is

Oh yeah I invented...GNU oh yeah Linus Torvalds naked while I spank his ass oh yeah (heavy breathing) I am spanking Torvalds so hard. You naughty naughty man
Oh wait, 3 debian devs are at the door
Come in and watch me spank torvalds,
what's that? you have some linux mint devs than need to have their asses whipped
Oh yeah bring me a riding crop
Uh who is that? BSD dvelopers, oh no they are much too fat, they are too strong for me, wait I gotta start thinking about mint and torvalds again I'm losing my erection
OH GODDAM IT WHY THE FUCK THEM FATASS FUCKING BSD DEVS GET IN ON MY HAND JOB?
Oh fuck it I will have to finish off another time now

Shalom

BSD is a free software license but it's not copyleft

them 8's oh yeah the 8's of truth

The guy is a literal communist, that alone should tell you how fucked up in the head he is. The only reason he is even a meme here is because he's autistic enough to seriously reply to obvious bait mail giving the memers you're reffering to an endless suply of screenshots to feed into the meme machine.

>BSD dvelopers, oh no they are much too fat
have you ever even seen theo? he's a fucking stick figure.
openbsd does include some closed firmwares in base, so long as they have free redistribution rights. it's true that they run in the device instead of the openbsd cpu though.

the gnu people draw the "free" line wrong. they claim if it's in rom closed fw is ok, but if it's in some other kind of ram closed fw is suddenly bad and evil, which leads to shit like rms literally promoting nvidia gpus over radeon for being more "free" which no sane person would say.

They arent copyleft licenses

/thread

At first try to use fsf endorsed distro and try to load a binary kernel module.

you are only as thin as your user base and the devs around you

some morons here confuse binary driver blobs with firmware blobs, you niggers need to understand that without nonfree firmware blobs you wouldnt be able to jerk off to hentai all day because your PC wouldnt work

at lease with non baked firmware blobs you could analize machine code and maybe reverse engineer that firmware, think a little bit
reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/43zk9j/new_release_of_libertybsd_a_bsd_distro_with_no/

>ps. there is an OpenBSD fork called "librebsd" which aims to be free-as-in-stallman by including ONLY free software and removing the firmware blobs altogether. They aim to be a FSF recommended distro.

This is complete bollocks, and in fact utter revisionism. OpenBSD are the ones fighting the hardest against binary blobs for drivers when everyone is giving up. Heck, Theo de Raadt got an award from the FSF for doing so!

The blobs they include are not like in Linux, driver blobs running on your CPU. They are the firmware to be loaded in peripheral devices (wireless card, sound card, etc.) This is completely outside the scope of what an OS does. Yes, technically it's proprietary software.