Redpill me on wire

Redpill me on wire.

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text
securemessagingapps.com/
github.com/signalapp/Signal-Server
github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/1314
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingle_(protocol)
signal.org/android/apk/
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13960459
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're great at carrying electricity from point A to point B, as long you don't do naughty shit like making a coil out of em.

great for hanging yourself

you should try it

Best IM for privacy.

Great show, I like it better than the Sopranos. Fucking McNulty.

Use Signal instead. Wire stores everyone you've ever contacted in plain text. motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text

What about Signal?

read "weird" at first and immediately thought of you

>needs a SIM card
No

i heard signal is botnet and closed source backend. what about matrix and riot.im?

is this the new "I'm too dumb to write emails"-thread?

Signal is completely open source and not a botnet

Signal is open source. The only botnet thing about it is relying on botnet to register.
Riot.im is great. Though it's more than just a messenger, it's basically a full replacement for discord.

securemessagingapps.com/

Case closed.

The server isn't.

Theservercode is published under theAGPLv3license

Best messenger out there with respect to privacy. I'd say it's closely followed my Riot and other Matrix messengers. After that, there isn't much (whispering? pen and paper?).
Give it a try. The UI is beautiful.

>server license: AGPLv3
>Signal is developed by a software group called Open Whisper Systems. The group is funded by a combination of donations and grants,and all of its products are published as free and open-source software.

Are voice messages sent with whatsapp being encrypted? Or just the textmessages?

My bad, thanks for the correction. I thought they were still using Redphone or whatever that botnet was called.

Np, they switched from that a while ago according to this prismbreak thread:
github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/1314
>The discussion about Signal's voice calling component's backend not being open source is now obsolete, because Signal has completed the transition from RedPhone to WebRTC. Signal's backend is now fully open source

Just use xmpp with omemo

*Redpills you on wire*

>Wants my phone number
Fuck off

voice messages are also encrypted

but facebook is probably hoovering up all that data before the encryption process so why do you care?

Shit, shit, shit.
Host your own XMPP server (Ejabberd) and use Conversations on Android.

These

delta.chat

does XMPP support voice, video, or group chats?
if so, which servers / clients include support for these things?

it's optional, for convieniece
based in america makes it a cia nigger honeypot

It does support group chats and voice messages, both are pretty much server-independent. Conversations and pix-art, a fork of the former, are the best clients on android.

Voice and video chats are p2p and implemented using Jingle extension: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingle_(protocol)
Group chats work fine and even support end-to-end encryption (OMEMO).

Why is relying on phone number a bad thing? It pretty much helps spreading apps like Signal.
Also, for Signal, only hashes of the numbers are stored, nothing leaves the phone.

Normie here, which secure messenger should I choose? Never heard of wire, all I know is signal, telegram and WhatsApp but that's Facebook?

>Why is relying on phone number a bad thing?
It's not, it's just the fact that it is a requirement.

do desktops get anything better than pidgin?

Yeah, show exactly where the option to create an account without my number is. I'll wait

Gajim is pretty nice

Wire, it's normie friendly and extremely privacy friendly, based in europe, Switzerland and open source, the rest have botnets lingering around them in one way or another, as always the biggest problem is to get your friends to use new better things

fucking phoneposters

You can easily hash all possible phone numbers, making decrypting them trivial. I also don't want people to get my phone number and give people different contact account depending on my relationship to them

to add, riot.im and xxmp and all those neckbeard ones are also great, but you wont have an easy time getting your family and friends to use them

>speak about messengers
>ohmygod why would you use your phone for communications!

Using vice as a trusted news source

Well I made mine on PC, that's pretty sad that the mobile version doesn't have that option, should bother them on github

> You can easily hash all possible phone numbers, making decrypting them trivial. I also don't want people to get my phone number and give people different contact account depending on my relationship to them
People don't get your phone number.

So for what purpose do they want my number then?

You need Google Play Services to run that shit

Minimal protection against bot registration iirc you can also use email on app.wire.com

Nice meme.
signal.org/android/apk/

Thanks, so wire lets create an account without my number from pc, perfect, ditching telegram for wire now. Fuck signal and all that other shit.

No. signal.org/android/apk/

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Did you dexdump that yet? You can put botnet services in an apk without using the play store.

The most feature rich and secure IM app there is. It does have some bugs though, but they are not critical.

Is there any reason to use Wire over Matrix/Riot? Seems like Wire has some fancy features (whiteboard, ..) but lacks some more significant Matrix ones (mainly bridging)

F-Droid release when?

Too bad the best Android client - Conversations - doesn't even plan to support voice/video calls. It's easier to recommend Riot to normies.

> F-Droid release when?
Presumably after they remove proprietary botnet libs and it still compiles and works? So maybe never.

Daily reminder that xmpp is the only messenger that isn't questionable when it comes to privacy. There's a reason Merkel attacks xmpp but supports things like wire and signal

>doesn't support voice/video calls
Boo hoo, when was your last private video call? Don't remember? Thought so. Oh wait, you do remember and totally didn't just made it up because you need arguments and refuted to accept nobody ever uses those features

t. moxie
/thread

Source on merkel supporting signal or wire please

>Merkel attacks xmpp
Source?

Actually I use it every other day to call my colleagues since Skype doesn't work on my PC anymore.

People in germany who self-host xmpp to chat with their friends got a letter from the police that they were running an "illegal communications network". They are now trying to get a law approved that forbids xmpp because a chat service they can't get any data from is a "serious threat". They are aware of wire and signal but they never made any effort to forbid it. It's of zero importance to them cus meta data is enough to get a good picture of someones life.

Source?!

link bitte

Da hätte ich doch gern eine Quelle zu

Source needed

What about this, Sup Forumsee?

Considering setting up a node for work on im.namesurname.work from my home server, so I don't have to share stuff with zuck or mspajeet.

Signal is fine too, it's what Edward Snowden uses, all these people complaining about it being a botnet are dumb motherfuckers. Just use either that or Wire and stay away from telegram and WhatsApp

Look at

Was about to make a "use a fucking search engine" post but startpage gave literally 0 results...weird.

I've seen pics of the letter they got, multiple posts and discussions about it (mostly on xmpp) and at least one article stating germany wants to forbid xmpp but ofcourse without source it should be considered an urban myth so someone help me out here and post pics/articles

WIRED

>Use Signal because Snowden
>Use Wire because no reason
I personally recommend communicating via dodecahedron-curve encrypted smoke signals because Assange's ghost spoke to me in my dream.

Matrix is good. If you can survive electron based desktop client (for now) and non-proven beta version encryption (for now) there are not many reasons not to use it.

Thanks user. I was too lazy to do the search myself but is just sounds like bullshit. Not saying it's impossible, but there are german XMPP servers working for many years plus mostly nobody even knows what XMPP is, would be strange trying to ban it right now.

Not sure if it's the same shit, but
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13960459
"Germany’s Federal Network Agency wants to regulate XMPP clients"

> meta data is enough
Do you even.know what meta data is.
>Client a is talking to client b.
That's metadata. No names, no content, nothing but meta data. Stop spreading fud.

Idiot.
Are you aware you can do a lot of fun correlation / picking targets to get your arrest quotas with just run of the mill metadata?

"XMPP clients have to be registered...if providing public communication services commercially."
So that's about taxes and not understanding technology? If this is what the other anons were mentioning, it's pretty far from banning xmpp or anything like that.

Nah, my bad. I skimmed it again and it's a different angle - this one's aimed at XMPP client devs and the German FCC asking them to register.
Other dude's claims were about XMPP server operators, which seems quite a bit more insidious.
So don't take my HN link as an argument to disprove his claim. I'd still be very interested in more info about said claim though.

hearsay. worthless without a source.

>There's a bomb in school X set to go off on day Y
>"hearsay. worthless without proof"
the risk*impact of some claims being true is large enough that they merit at least some investigation

user who made the claims here, I contacted one of the guys I believe was my source for this so hopefully we'll get answers soon.

still on telegram but when I switch it will probably be for this

Thanks user. Also interested in this.

How is wire from usability standpoint? File sharing? Key verification? How are group chats? Emojii support? Smooth voice/video calls?

Yes, I search for it and found nothing, hence my question

Thank you, and please don't be a faggot for once

>File sharing?
You can share any file type you want. So far I haven't found a limit, but I haven't tried sending anything over 50MB yet. Has built-in video and image viewer, supports YouTube links. Has built-in voice recording.
Since all your messages are stored onto your device, it supports an offline message search and file/links/audio-message/image search.

>Emojii support?
Uses your system's fonts for emoji support. Has built-in GIF sender similar to Facebook's.

>group chats?
Can't say since I haven't made a group yet, but there's an option for group chats. Supports group voice chat.

>Smooth voice/video calls?
Will depend on your network. It doesn't use aggressive compression and also encrypts communication by default so it's more resource intensive than your standard Facebook messenger. There's an option to enable variable bit encoding to improve voice performance.

>Key verification
Each separate device will have it's own key, even if you use the same account on each. This lets you block untrusted devices. Initiating a contact is done by searching for the person's name, then making a contact request. Registering multiple devices on the same account requires your first device (or any other confirmed device) to confirm that the device is trusted. It's all point and click.

how come wire isn't on fdroid?

>telegram
>2018
SHIGGY DIGGY

Thanks kind user

Group chats work nicely, I use them on daily basis. You can also make group audio/video chats and share your desktop. However if you don't have good connection, real time chats can be significantly more stuttered in comparison to programs like mumble or discord. I didn't tried "variable bit encoding" though.
You can also share gps coordinates, draw doodles, decorate images, add filters to audio messages, send timed messages that disappear after specified time, have nice colorful emojis(had to install noto-fonts-emoji on Arch).

They're all similar except Wire has the ability to register without a mobile phone, and supports encrypted group calls. It's definitely the best choice imho.
Telegram uses a special snowflake encryption so it's not agreed to be as secure as Wire or Signal.
WhatsApp is basically Signal except closed source, owned by Facebook and not available on desktop.

Additionally, Riot.im exists. Which is basically a privacy oriented discord alternative, and is superior to discord. So if you need a social media-like platform you could try that. It does function as an instant messenger too.

that is bullshit

Fucking McNulty, user. Fuck that guy.

You could do it with mail only, but you need to use pc like normal fucking person not like degenerate phone normie.

Fuck McNulty

I am this here user and let me just say wire is the shieeet. Looks beautiful, works like a charm, video and audio quality is superb so far (tested on wifi only), no registration by phone number (create account with temp mail on desktop then log in with that shit on phone)
My telegram account is already deleted, no hard feelings at all. This thread made my day.

What if someone you need to contact only uses Telegram? What do?

BUMP