Is BiglyBT the blast from the past that will finally shake some life into the current state of torrent clients?...

Is BiglyBT the blast from the past that will finally shake some life into the current state of torrent clients?, or is it just the same ol' java-bloated azureus with a new paintjob?

Other urls found in this thread:

picotorrent.org/
simhacks.github.io/defcon-21/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bloatware. just like qBloatNet.

It looks like utorrent

Ugly ass name

you're just mad bacause biglybt is making bittorrent great again

>2018
>gui clients
when will they learn
headless daemons is where it's at these days, it lets the developers focus on the actual bittorrent protocol implementation and then let some other guys do various web uis so you can later pick the one you like the most

check out transmission-daemon, aria2c, deluged, qbittorrent-nox

Hey look it's Vuze with a new name.

Never believed I would say this, but SO MANY OPTIONS to check it's almost autism level. Configurability is not a bad thing, but in this case it's intimidating.

>10 MB installer
>guyse its so bloated!111
fuck off brainlet

Open source ad-free Vuze, mind you.

Eat shit and die.

People still use utorrent? I thought this was g confirmed botnet

Um it literally is sweetie.

no u

>People still use utorrent?
Yes.

>I thought this was g confirmed botnet
No.

>g confirmed
Most of Sup Forums nowadays is fucking brain dead.

Windows reports garbage in the uninstall page:

>using any version of uTorrent after 2.2.1
kys dumb whore

2.2.1 is crap for magnets

And the superior 3.5.1

That's not the uninstall page: You're not faking it, you're dumb irl, aren't you?

Oh, right, it's the details pane. Well, that installs more files than just the executable, since it's a 10MB installer: uTorrent is just one .exe file, does not install anything else.

looks like a bad utorrent clone, who the fuck does these things

why would you do that with a magnet link
just click the link moron

The idea is that you can't select files before starting the download on 2.2.1, regardless of how you add the magnet.

A picotorrent rebrand?
picotorrent.org/

Trash. Bloatware. And abandonware.

So is qBittorrent to be fair (since they're trying to make a uTorrent clone), but it's bloated because it relies on Qt instead of implementing everything natively.

Time travellers?
>Azureus Initial release date: June 2003
>µTorrent Initial release date: September 18, 2005

>being so desperate for software ideas that you have to invent a time machine

>2 MB
The bloat.

Well, yes, qBloatNet is pure junk and bloatware.

Why doesn't anyone use Deluge?

Because it sucks on windows and if you're using Linux, there's no reason not to use rtorrent

I use it on Windows and Linux, I haven't run into any problems. What sort of issues occur on Windows?

don't forget to include the shared dependencies

Memory leaks after running it for awhile

java aint statically linked too

>there's no reason not to use rtorrent
Uses about twice as much memory as Transmission daemon and the UI blows goats unless your trackers allow the pyroscope version.

how many torrents do you seed? It cracks up after ~300, often less

I seed less than 300 torrents. If it's a real problem with Deluge I understand why people aren't using it.

"Old" bloated Azureus / Vuze was good from then 'till now, and the only thing I didn't like was the nonsense in the windows version.

I'm going to guess this one is good, too.

Deluge, unlike Vuze and qBittorrent sucked balls with larger / more torrents. Also, it generally drained too much processing power in comparison.

Overall felt like the average shitty python software, really. Python only got very few good examples, the rest is fat, ugly and buggy.

here's a rundown of some foss clients:
>rtorrent
linux-only, abandonware, the latest release (0.9.6) dates back to 3 Sep 2015
>qbittorrent
bloat, depends on qt and libtorrent-rasterbar libraries, the -nox version forces its own webui even if you don't need it, heavy on memory usage
>transmission-daemon
decent, implements the bittorrent protocol on its own, light on system resources; THE client to use
>aria2c
neat, implements the bittorrent protocol on its own, very light on system resources, comfy jsonrpc, can be a pain to configure properly, blacklisted on most private trackers because ootb it allows to spoof peer-id and user-agent with a command-line switch therefore it's good for public trackers (or just spoof uTorrent on private trackers really)
>deluge
decent connection quality, depends on libtorrent-rasterbar, written in python = bloat, uses a lot of memory, not suitable if seeding a lot of torrents
>biglybt
written in java = bloat, has shady history, java implies memory usage will be through the roof; THE client to avoid

let me know if i skipped anything

What's your point of view on Halite? I'm considering using it, but it uses some old version of libtorrent.

never used it, tbqh
the github repo seems kinda abandoned to me, but if it works for you then go ahead and use it

Halite is libtorrent for Windows. It's a good, light client. It is, unfortunately, kind of dead at the moment, with the last commit being fairly old. And the UI eats CPU usage like nobody's business (just keep it minimized, I guess). I would still rather use it than qbloatstalledmeme.

Unfortunately Transmission seems to give me weird speed issues on Windows. No idea why. A torrent I download with Transmission will be choked out a fairly low speed but if I pop it in most other clients I get 10x the download rate. Very strange. I've played up and down with the settings, too, and can't seem to get it to play nice. It's a shame because a headless client is far preferable for me.

a public or private torrent? make sure you enable PEX and DHT and disable uTP

bump

>written in java = bloat
people like you are the reason this planet is such a shitty place.

>Latest commit 6272c2f 21 hours ago
LEL, nope

cant even get 1 torrent to download when I was migrating to a new program on a fresh install. It and transmission suck dick on windows.

I have yet to use something java based that isnt bloated to hell and back.

this

>by definition requires Java, a 200-300 MB program in order to run
My almonds have been activated.

Google uses Java
Twitter uses Java
Amazon uses Java
Evay uses Java
Pretty much every Android app runs Java

But some ugly fat neckbeard with an anime wallpaper knows better. He would do everything better if he only had the possibilites.. wait.. that kind of sounds like narcissism.

>Pretty much every Android app runs Java
that's why it so bloated and slow...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the web UIs of various headless torrent clients would be able to open the destination folder on double click, which is something I do relatively often.

well, not a webui in a browser, no
but for example there's the transmission remote gui which is a native application and it lets you doubleclick to open the destination directory on windows explorer

>transmission remote GUI
What would the advantage of using a fucking remote GUI to communicate with the torrent client on the same PC be over using a traditional torrent client? (ignore this if you're not the user I originally replied to)

well, if you're done "managing" your torrents, then you can quit the remote gui, so you free up the memory needlessly used by it
whereas for traditional gui clients, you can only minimize (or minimize to tray) but the gui and the gui toolkit, libraries are still loaded, wasting resources

simhacks.github.io/defcon-21/

This just became my new torrent client.
I was a longtime utorrent user, but since the last vulnerability was found, I was looking for a replacement. Tested them all (for Windows), qBittorrent was another favorite, but BiglyBT won from afar.
I'm very happy with my choice and from what I've seen during the tests I should've done it much sooner.

>dat screenshot transparency
hnnnng
moving the hover-expando-image around is... pleasant

>Femanon
tits w/ timestamp or gtfo, attention ho
huh, almost rhymes

I loved Vuze. I just think it's a horrible name.