What a fucking meme of a OS, just moving my mouse in circles on the desktop uses 50% of a i5 6600...

What a fucking meme of a OS, just moving my mouse in circles on the desktop uses 50% of a i5 6600. Never falling for your memes again Sup Forums I'm going back to windows

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/22900
twitter.com/AnonBabble

inb4
>replying to pasta

The OS is fine, XFeCes is the culprit here.

i3
dwm
even fucking ratpoison
but never with xfce
/thread

>meanwhile on Windows
>installing a huge program so I need all the CPU I can get to do it quickly
>antimalware service executable using 10-15% with spikes to 100% for about 4 hours now, on a Ryzen 1600

Also on 6600 here. I'm currently syncing eth blockchain, got >20 tabs open in ff, steam, irc, discord and vscode running. No stutters, no spikes, no problems. In fact such low load my single fan (on cpu) is running so slowly I cannot hear it.

Basically you're too dumb to use the OS and fucked something up.

Fresh install nothing but updates on it but ok, 50% cpu to process mouse input is completely reasonable

Try another DE

This is what happens when you use Xorg instead of Wayland.

I didn't say that 50% cpu to process mouse is reasonable. It is unreasonable. The point is, it's not the OS that fucked up, it's you. I don't even get that nonsense on a pi, let alone a 6600.

You just mentioned bullshit about running programs that you think disproves my point, try running your mouse in circles and post the usage. That's how you really benchmark a OS

I still have no idea what's your OS, all I know is it's a Unix-like, so the chances that you have no clue what you're talking about are high.

Maybe we could help you with your problem but we need to know what's your distro (Ubuntu, Fedora, Archlinux, Linux Mint, or any other distro or community meme) and what's your DE (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, etc.).

Xubuntu that's Ubuntu + Xfce = Xubuntu

you sure that u are using all the cores?

fuck off shill
that or you're using gnome

>try running your mouse in circles and post the usage. That's how you really benchmark a OS
nice one user, i laffed

I chuckled out loud. Thanks user. Load is from ffmpeg recording, moving the mouse doesn't do anything noticable - certainly not an additional 50% load.

50% of one core isn't 50% of a i5 6600. But obviously its more than expected for just moving a mouse.

I'm going to default to a guess of "Ubuntu issue". But you can still try different wm/de.

Try: cyclictest --smp --smi -m --policy=fifo -p98
(from rt-tests)
For an hour or two. Report on MAX column.

I use Xubuntu and don't have this problem on i5 3470.

Xfce is a fucking joke. It's unstable and still bloated compared to how much features are missing.
It's the DE for memesters and idiots.

No.

What DE you use?

not him, I'm i3wm, no de.

Your fault for using Poozen

Figures.

50% of one core in powersave pstate could be like 400mhz

Why would I though? You want me to stress test for what reason? It's not going to prove that moving the mouse takes 50% CPU on a 6600 is it?

Why multiple instances of urxvt instead of daemonizing it?

Just a bad habit I suppose. Can you run one instance and have different windows on different workspaces? Got some keywords so I can learn more? I have used tmux and other plexers but that still sits in one window/instance right?

cyclictest isn't a stress test.
It sets itself with SCHED_FIFO (if runnable, preempt everything else and run, until it releases the cpu itself. Highest realtime class.) and sets some timers far off. Then when it wakes up, measures the difference between the expected time and the time it got.
Ideally, it'd get to run immediately (since on a typical system it'll be the only SCHED_FIFO task), but you'll see that, often enough, that's not the case. That's what the MAX column will tell you. Unit is µs.
Actual CPU usage of the test is very low. I've run it for entire weeks in the background.

So it's comparing expected computation time to actual?

>not running the mouse in actual circles
fucking freetard, you just moved it from left to right. try some movement that the CPU actually has to crunch numbers for

No, more like jitter (time expected to wake up vs time it actually gets waked up).
On an ideal system, it'd get to run exactly at the time when the alarm was programmed.
Usermode is easy to preempt, the problem is the kernel: If the CPU is running in supervisor mode, it can only be preempted if some conditions are met.
Expect bad results. Bad as in thousands of µs aka miliseconds aka audio cuts, frames lost and all that territory. Because Linux sucks.
I discovered just how much when trying to run higan (the emulator) with reasonably low audio buffer.
I also discovered how much of a difference linux-rt does make (1000µs MAX after a few minutes, across a variety of hardware and loads). And higan just works (no more cuts!).
It's a shame most desktop Linux users do not use linux-rt and suffer through hiccups and plain inability to do a lot of things where low latency is required, such as audio work and emulators.

shut your whore mouth, faggot

Ah I see. I have noticed audio delays in the past, using debian (probably xfce) but it was a couple of years ago on different hardware. Eveything seems smooth on arch, even muh games run without framerate issues through wine.

Just... give cycletest an actual try. See the actual numbers. Face reality.
You can and should leave it running in the background, then look at it once in a while. If you're anything like me, you'll be horrified by the values.

I'll let you be horrified for both of us. My system runs just fine for my needs.

(covers ears)
Can't hear you! Can't hear you!!

still better than MS

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/22900

Wow so this... is the power of linux

the power of xfeces*

The power of not being able to use a computer.

You realize we had mice on 4MHz 8088's and it didn't take 50% CPU util, right?

i tried to switch to dwm but i've been spoiled by xfce for the last few years.

What do I do, user? :( It's hard to self improve when I have to learn the ins and outs of another de/wm... But I also don't want to use it.

>a fucking i3
>jwm
>cpu at 4% always
What the fuck are you doing wrong to get cpu at 50%?

Cinnamon doesn't have this problem.

Moving the mouse in a circular motion

Don't do that then.

Then just don't move your cursor in circles.

>antimalware service
top fucking kek user

Just did it on manjaro on XFCE. No increase in CPU usage. You fucked something hardcore buddy.

The only thing I fucked is your mom, pal

My pentium 4 1.8Ghz and generic graphic never had this problem in Debian,fedora,opensuse,archlinux 10 years ago.

Re install graphic drivers

>tfw ur os is the malware

Don't feel bad. I've been using tiling window manager (AwesomeWM) for 3 years, and I still can't be bothered to make the switch to dwm. I'm still using urxvt instead of st too.