HP now restricts how much you're allowed to print

>HP now restricts how much you're allowed to print
Wow.

Other urls found in this thread:

instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/r
instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/terms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Conservatards
No, proprietarytards will defend this. They are the problem.

It's some cloud printing shit right? Their not charging you to print on your own printer right?

holy shit
instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/r

This is not on your own printer... right?

Not OP, but it's real. HP Instant Ink.
It's for certain frequency printers (people) with a monthly ink cartridge.
I don't know if it's to combat refills, but I think it's not a completely stupid idea for the right people. You're not forced to subscribe to their service and can keep using ink as you normally would.

tfw there will never be printer as good as hp1010
fucking ~700 paper cartridge
cartridge replacement parts and toner are cheap as fuck
easiest printer to repair
can work for 10 years without any defect

printers now
- beep beep unknown error E63621

T-that's on a public printer, yes?

>- beep beep unknown error E63621
Jesus christ this. I have an HP network printer and it's always fine from my mom's netbook no issue. But the moment I need to print something "unknown issue check printer" from Windows. Both over wireless, and the printer IP changes on occasion but I doubt that's it.

I don't understand this
Someone clarify this shit it can't be your personal printer

Does there even exist a printer company that isn't the scum of the earth at this point?

It is for personal printers. It's a monthly subscription service to get low capacity ink carts.

I just hope it's not memeing people on the free plan where you spend $50 a year for the subscription to get 12x"15 pages/mo".

You subscribe to a plan and HP sends you cartridges filled with enough ink to print X pages monthly when your printer tells them it's running low.

Holy fuck I ruined my grammar there. Let me try again.

Does a printer company that isn't the scum of the earth even exist at this point?

Either post is fine, and yes: yours. Get on that, I'll be here making the logo.

This is literally an optional thing you don't have to do on your printer.

You can use your printer normally.

This is an optional subscription plan HP offers with select printers. The idea is HP ships you new ink cartridges when your printer is running low, as long as you're subscribed to one of their plans. It's actually not a bad plan if you're someone who prints, maybe, 40-50 pages in a whole year, and doesn't want to try to dealing with refilling your own shit or deal with buying new cartridges that just ran dry instead of getting run out.

Use dns you brainlet

Protip: Just get a monochrome laser printer with IPP and PostScript support. It's possible to do under 100€.
It's been a decade and I'm still on the original toner. And it just works, no driver bullshit.

Brother inkjet (MFC-bla-bla) can print 1000 pages on one ink set (XL).
But cartridges cost like toner for laser, so it is the same shit.

>And it just works, no driver bullshit.
Except if you want features like two sided printing that only can be done if you have the manufacturer drivers

you people are fucking retarded, its a service that sends ink to your home.

I don't think that's it. Her netbook is running vanilla 10 and I'm on LTSB. Might be some obscure driver issue.
There's a troubleshooting tool within the HP app that would update the network IP though, but that also fails on my computer.

99% of commercial printer companies are good companies. They're usually pretty fair, evolve well, and you aren't getting screwed for nothing.

Consumer printers, well, Blame digital cameras, user. When the "PRINT YOUR PHOTOS AT HOME, IT'S CHEAPER!" shit started in the late 90's/early 00's, it was a race to the bottom on who can make the cheapest photo-capable printer. Now, we're at that bottom of both reliability and price, so they've got to make their profit somehow.

>ink delivery
>aprox page numbers

Like something bad.

>99% of commercial printer companies are good companies.

better question is: if the free market is so great why hasn't some non shit printer company taken over?

My friend who owns a multi million dollar printing repair company in California have clients who think theyre saving money by not paying for warranty services on their fifty thousand dollar printer systems only to find out that literally the day after the original 3 month warranty ends it breaks. They charge somewhere north of 1400/hr to repair them.

getting overcharged for ink as a service

how much you guys wanna bet that this will soon be a mandatory service if you currently own or want to own an hp printer
soon if you buy an hp computer you'll end up getting a one month trial for this

I'm just more concerned about
>enroll on free plan as it fits me
>oh fuck I need to print more than 15 pages all of a sudden, asap, and can't be without ink after
>let me go out and buy a cartridge for this specific demand
>hey looks like you took out your FREE CARTRIDGE AND PUT IN A REGULAR ONE, SOMETHING WE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT?
>we bumped you up to a higher plan since we noticed your sudden increase in demand
Also the fact since it requires internet (what doesn't) if it'll be data mining your documents (or has already).

who the FUCK still buys inkjet printers in 2018

>use dns
DNS has nothing to do with IP address assignment. That's the DHCP server's job.

DNSMasq does both and it all just werks

Even worse: Third party companies that sell printer solutions, support and service that actually just escalate to Ricoh, Xerox or HP

But yes, selling 20 year machines as new or """"""refurbished"""""" is literally a crime against humanity

what the fuck?
do i get free ink or something or is that sold separately?

hp employee spotted

The free ink is probably paid by the payers.
HP most likely sends out fully loaded/paid ink cartridges and limits their use, so you send them back (as is required) then they can repurpose the ink/carts.
They most likely lose nothing give people 15 pages worth of black/color ink a month.

How the fuck do actual shills/employees even find these threads this quickly?

can't wait for the free market to decide this isn't going to make money

(watch lobbying put this shit in government. Trust in the public sector, goyim)

i bought a hp inkjet for $20.
new

Except any marketing push infringes on previous services.
Eventually this will be the 'standard' way and no alternatives are offered.

Consider locked phones. You really need to wise up to this user.

Giving myself a (You) and calling myself a shill.
Boss if you're here please promote me.

Then don't subscribe the instant print. Problem solved retard.

The target audiences are the Amazon crowd if you don't get that then you're beyond saving.

>Post logically explaining it for convenience gets called out as a shill
>Not the one that is just "holy shit" and the link to the product page where to buy

Phones aren't allowed to be locked anymore user.

what is ink cartridge?

It's a smaller version of what you have there that goes inside the printer.

The more user friendly legit version. Epson Ecotank. Their ads are even joking about needing to buy more paper instead of ink. I have one it's the best

Agreed, Also, you can fill it with pretty much anything resembling ink. One guy used cooking pigments and alcohol, worked just fine.

Brother and HP are now in the inktank game as well.

Doubt they have any of those in mericuh though.

>parents go to buy a new printer from local tech store
>pajeet salesman talks them into the fucking HP with a FUCKING TABLET for a display
>printer is slow as shit
>tablet is slow as shit
>get rid of it within a year and get a Brother printer

>be me
>by $50 HP chInkJet
>attach it to a server running cups
>print everyday without hassle, never a single problem

Never buy a printer with a fucking tablet as it's display

Not him, but I'm pretty sure he's referring to locked bootloaders, which 90%+ of phones have locked down now.

>2018
>having a home printer

The one time a year I need to print something I just walk to a print shop.

>not using a laserjet through usb
>don't have to worry about refills or wireless issues

wireless is convenient though if it's a shared printer

Because regular users don't need better.

Everybody I know who has a printer complains about how awful they are. HP hires engineers to make shitty ass "solution suites" that run in the background and are literally worse than generic drivers. The market has failed for home printers.

Well yes if we're talking about the US. Good riddance. But I'm talking about when they were locked.
It took government action to stop it. *hear the pained screams of an-cap in the distance*

No, actually the older version. I'm not that bullish on software freedom. I certainly wish that'd stop too though.

this. library account lets me print like 40 pages for 1$

>needing a printer when libraries exist and cost cents per page printed

I can see this from two sides:
HP should be free to do whatever dumb shit they want and I should be free to not buy their printers.
... but on the other hand ...
If the masses get lulled into thinking this is the norm and printer companies end up making this the only option (bear in mind, as far as I can see HP still lets you buy normal cartridges) then this could be a problem for the minority which does care.

Part of me thinks that most people are smart enough to realise they don't spend $36 on ink per year if they're smart enough to buy a bulk pack of cheap third party ink (unless they've been memed to believe that HP ink contains higher quality snake oil or something).

I guess preventing dumb shit like this is the reason the state exists, except that making laws to prevent this kind of exploitation isn't trivial and can certainly hurt innovation in some areas. I guess the current average price of 1st party ink cartridges for consumer printers is evidence of how maybe people can be memed into fucking themselves over.

This.
>HP: Let's rip off our customers.
>Samsung: Basically, it's a botnet.
>Epson: Let's 1-UP HP.
>Canon: Proprietary protocols are fun.
>Everybody else: Fuck the consumer market.
That said, Everbody else has it right.

shut up nerd lmao

Not my family. They bought some cheap printer and haven't had any problems. It's HP too.
>in

You're literally giving up the price of convenience of convenience, no shit it'd be cheaper.

you forgot about brother

How the, anyway you get my point.

>Buying printers that use ink

Nobody use HP printers anymore. Every decent workplace, office, and houses use Epson devices that work with any ink bottle

Right. I haven't heard much about them so I figured they go as Everyone else, just like Kyocera.

are those laserjet?

$50 used office laser printer
$20 toner lasts for 5 years
>muh color
faggot

As i know xerox just fucked in the ass recently. Industrial printers aren't that great either.

It should be obvious.

>$35 USD for one HP/Canon cartridge in amazon

Ballpoint pens use the same ink and the tube have 50x times ink that printer cartridges

>buy 2 printers
>enjoy free ink

Isn't Brother "our hardware is somewhat behind the bigger companies so we make up for it in not being jerks to our customers"?

>HP Instant Ink acts like your own personal ink assistant
>When you need ink, your printer automatically lets HP know to send more. HP Original Ink is delivered straight to your door before you run out

HP just figured out how to bundle subscription with printer.

That's what I thought until I became independed of my parents and now not only do I need printer but need one with duplex and scanner and duplex sheet feeder, direct pdf scanning, cloud support and what not.

They probably started this thread just to get people talking.

they are glorious japanese industrial manufacturer with honor of the samurai

>"Need more than 15 pages? Buy a second printer, we made them affordable!"

>he hasn't stolen a mid 2000s laser printer from the office yet
Inkfags deserve all the bullshit they get desu

>honor of the samurai
they got no honor, you only need to use any Makita powertool to know that

When ink cartridge lootboxes?

>No Downgrades. If a Participant upgrades an Enrolled Printer from the 15-Free Program to a paid Service Plan (an “Upgraded Printer”), the Participant may not subsequently downgrade the Upgraded Printer in order to return to the 15-Free Program. Additionally, a Participant may not downgrade a printer from a paid Service Plan to the 15-Free Program.
>No Re-Enrollments. If a Participant enrolls an Eligible Printer in the 15-Free Program and then subsequently cancels or otherwise terminates the enrollment for such Eligible Printer, that Eligible Printer may not be re-enrolled in the 15-Free Program again.
>Other Provisions. By participating in the 15-Free Program, Participant agrees to:
>Receive email marketing communications from HP, including personalized offers from HP, HP partners or other third parties that may be based on actual usage data.
>Have advertisements, offers, and promotions by HP, HP partners and third parties (“Ads”) printed through the Enrolled Printer at the rate of one (1) Ad for every five (5) printed pages. Such printed Ads will be in addition to, and will not count toward or be subtracted from, the fifteen (15) free pages available to Participant through an Enrolled Printer under the 15-Free Program; and Participants will not be charged for any printed pages with Ads.

I either print shit
A) at work
B) at Costco

Haven't owned a printer in 10 years

On a related note, I can't get my fucking printer working.

Anybody ever tried to get a Epson WF-7620 working with linux?

I thought I had it working earlier, but whenever I try to print *ANYTHING*, it will just start emptying the paper tray.

Literally.

Send a single page document to print?

Printer: OK, let's spit out 200 empty pages, without even trying to print

What the fuck. Anybody ever get this shit working? I don't understand why this has to be such a bitch. God-damn. There should be some kind of open spec. I don't need to do anything fancy, I just want to print my fucking paystub. (which is a pdf I have pulled up on chrome)

Should be simple as shit, but apparently the linux drivers / cups doesn't work for shit.

How do you deal with the fact that they have your documents now?

I don't care that's how

>>Have advertisements, offers, and promotions by HP, HP partners and third parties (“Ads”) printed through the Enrolled Printer at the rate of one (1) Ad for every five (5) printed pages. Such printed Ads will be in addition to, and will not count toward or be subtracted from, the fifteen (15) free pages available to Participant through an Enrolled Printer under the 15-Free Program; and Participants will not be charged for any printed pages with Ads.
is this real

Printing on Linux has gone to shit since Apple bought out CUPS then made its developers write Apple proprietary shit from scratch instead of continuing CUPS.

instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/terms

Good, because many home printers are connected to the internet as well and have botnet behavior as well.

Man, i fucked up so bad

you are insane. hp is not paying for native English speakers to guerilla market on Sup Forums the place which is so irrelevant hiroshima nagasaka can barely find advertising banners

How does the "free" plan work? I buy the printer and unless I print more than 15 pages/month, I get free refills and some dude comes and changes the tonner it for me? I print maybe 20 pages a year, my biggest issue is that the ink dries up.

That being said, I hope you can still service the printer yourself.

Have you tried to download the proprietary driver from EPSON?
I have a WF-2630 and it works good on Linux. I can't still use the duplex manual for some strange reason.

this, inkfags are the worst
btw If you people had a job you could probably just print for free at work

I did man. I was just there.