/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thecablecooker.com/
youtu.be/FZwDgkVGIsY
youtube.com/watch?v=PH5-qCmpCJU
youtube.com/watch?v=N5a5UVIi9m8
audiobudget.com/leaderboard/iem
youtube.com/watch?v=CIRe_pSpk5w
abx.digitalfeed.net/
romaco.ca/blog/2015/03/23/experimental-differences-in-audio-compression-formats/
youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=1943
youtube.com/watch?v=mBpic9jbjzs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are the go to IEM's for 50$?

Main genre: Rock/Alternative rock.

What is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

The ma900 was discontinued for a reason.

R70x

HD600, but other way around.

He's right. Always buy proper american made products vs chink.
With chink, no warranty + your house might catch fire.

buy this american made product
thecablecooker.com/

schiit are american chinks. they treat you like garbage once you give them your money. just look at the horror stories on every forum/site.

if you want actual good american customer support, go for JDS.

>jds shill sample

t. buttblasted schiit nigger with a broken by design DAC

quality earbuds? I have no idea where to look. Preferably on the cheaper side

if you actually cared about american products your response would be "yeah that's a good alternative". no. you are a schiit fanboy who uses american made as a talking point. kys faggot

what are you currently listening to /hpg/?
youtu.be/FZwDgkVGIsY

>no. you are a schiit fanboi
No, you are a jds fanboi. It's clear from the attacks on schiit.

Opinions on the headphones coming with the Xperia Z5 Compact? I think they're pretty good for something that comes with your phone

Hey im looking for some closed (noise cancelling would be cool) headphones/earbuds for the gym. They must be sweat resistant and not fall out easily. A nice bass-ish sound would be great, but no must. Maximum price 250€

and what's the issue with being a jds fanboy again? oh wait it's a problem because it's not schiit and it has absolutely nothing to do with your original point of it being american made or not.

not the brightest candle are you?

>oh wait it's a problem because it's not schiit
>oh wait it's a problem because it's not jds
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.

notice how one side (the schiit fanboys) use american made as a talking point to steer people towards their products because they can't out maneuver with their shitty measuring gear

>They must be sweat resistant
Avoid anything that uses pleather earpads then.

youtube.com/watch?v=PH5-qCmpCJU

The chink win.
Ameritards on suicide watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=N5a5UVIi9m8

Anyone?

Check /csg/.

audiobudget.com/leaderboard/iem

youtube.com/watch?v=CIRe_pSpk5w

is there any proofs that someone can tell difference between lossless and lossy?

yeah. i can.

no, as long as the lossy has been compressed through a good codec, encoder software and decent bitrate.
You can test for yourself here to see if your ears and current gear are enough :
abx.digitalfeed.net/
Hint: no human ear or gear is enough.

>is there any proofs

romaco.ca/blog/2015/03/23/experimental-differences-in-audio-compression-formats/
this guy took the waveforms of mp3s and FLACs and subtracted them so only the differences remain, you can download the result to see if you can hear it

You like to think you can.

Fascinating. There's quite a bit of audible data in that 320 kbps mp3 error file, and yet blind testing shows us that the difference between 320 kbps mp3 and FLAC is imperceptible except for a select few "killer samples" which don't represent everyday listening.
tl;dr: Human ears suck.

>Fascinating. There's quite a bit of audible data in that 320 kbps mp3 error file, and yet blind testing shows us that the difference between 320 kbps mp3 and FLAC is imperceptible except for a select few "killer samples" which don't represent everyday listening.
>tl;dr: Human ears suck.
This is due to the masking effect.
Watch at 32 minutes :
youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=1943
This guy creates a terribly annoying noise, and when added to a somewhat loud but not harshly so song, you can BARELY hear it at -40db.

I can't hear difference after 160 kpbs

not only this, a lot of people don't know what to listen for so they miss small the differences

It's already pretty hard to notice anything even when you know what to look for in the usual modern recording with loud music. On Ethan's second example with a very soft recording, I can go to about -75db before I stop noticing the noise, and the noise he adds to the mix is far more noticeable and aggravating than the typical modern codec compression artifacts.

Except for "killer samples", I can't tell after 192 kbps, but it's been 10 years since I ran proper abx tests.

Nowadays, I'm usually listening to 320 kbps streams or FLAC rips, so I'm pretty happy.

I'm going to buy a hd650 and a dark voice.
I'm going to mod the hd650.
My set up will sound better than o2+hd600 and you know it.

hey guys, i wanna know what you think about these headphones, they were from a kickstarter and now they're on sale at only $299!!!!
they're the VIE SHAIR: Pain-Free Sociable Headphones and look pretty sick imho

Had not thought to check before, but my r70x are from a made in japan batch. Nice to see something at that sort of price point still being made in a First World country and not a slave labour shithole.

Prove it.

shair sounds like a hair removal product
looks like really goodh headphones though, buy them before they run out of stock

they're made in both japan and taiwan, which is the good china

a990z and up are made exclusively in japan too, I think.

>buying an exploding amp to go with snapping headphones

at least go full meme and build a Crack, don't buy the chink tubes

Are msr7 pads usable at the gym or do I have to replace them?
planning on msr7 + btr1 like pic related but without that headband cover

>right ear on the HD6XX is already fucking crackling in and out
Holy fuck, I guess the guy in the comments that said I'd have to buy an aftermarket cable was right, this is fucking retarded.
HD598, three years, no problems.
HD6XX, three months and the fucking cable is toast.

lsr 305 > all of your mid-fi, summit-fi bullshit

>over ears at the gym

pic of your lsr 305 setup, gen z

Why not? I wont run just lift weights

Don't buy the MSR7 if you intend to change the pads, they are bright headphones and most third party pads will make them even brighter and drop all the bass because they are designed with an acoustic that fit tiny pad opening, not big stuff like HM5. And since the pads will not survive long with intense humidity from sweating and the official pads aren't cheap it's not a good buy for you. I like my MSR7 but I highly encourage you to not buy it for gym usage. You will be highly disappointed in them.
Get earbuds, IEMs or clip-on like the Koss KSC-75. Forget about over-ear unless you get something with velour earpads like the DT770.

Anything will pleather will disintegrate with intense sweating. It's just a bad idea to buy over-ear headphones with pleather pads if you are going to do gym stuff. Or sports.

Will the pads really not survive in the gym? how so? what material are they?

>Will the pads really not survive in the gym? how so? what material are they?
Pleather. Protein Leather, aka fake artificial leather. Closed headphones at that price point tend to use very mediocre pleather too (there are different levels of quality of pleather manufacturing).

Simply put, if it LOOKS like leather, but the manufacturer of the headphone doesn't outright say it's leather in their marketing, then it's pleather. And pleather disintegrates much, much faster in humid environments.
Ultimately pads need to be changed at some point in all headphones. But how you use them will dramatically lower their lifetime. For pleather pads, if they are in contact with constant humid environments and sweat, they can start to peel off as soon as after 6 months of usage. When well cared for, and in dry environments, they can last as long as 3+ years without peeling.

what are the best studio monitor headphones for under $300?

Open or closed?

Is there really no cheap replacement to the pads without affecting the sound?

>studio monitor headphones

Your best bet is the "counterfeit" MSR7 pads sold on ebay that -look- close to originals in size and design. But I've never tried them and I can't say whether they preserve the sound signature or not. But something that is built with the same tiny opening for the ear will certainly have a higher chance of sounding like the real thing vs something that has a very large opening.
What I can say is that the most popular generic pad replacements, like the various Brainwavz stuff, just outright destroy the MSR7 sound signature to a level where objectively most people would hate the sound. Just garbage.

What's the point of even modding the HD650 ? Green is the most popular KISS mod and grey is stock. Just buy an HD600 if you plan to make your HD650 sound like a slightly worse version of it.
EQ is the only way to get a decent sound from the HD600s.

Japanese made Audio Technicas reporting in

>EQ is the only way to get a decent sound from the best sounding headphones in the world
Wrong.

Well I dont think Ill like IEMs might aswell try it this way and replace the pads later on

Woah that mod destroys the bass and it's not like the 650 has the best bass out there.

9/11 was a national tragedy

kys boomer

you forget to add HD600 shitheisers

>gen z posting

>Sennheiser
Overpriced, overhyped and shit quality
>Sony
Overpriced, have to pay the jewhon tax
>AKG
hit or miss, shit plastic, shit elastic, lasts a year before stretching out
>OPPO, b&o, b&w
pay more for looks instead of sound
>Stax
a literal meme
>Beyer
Ear rape treble
>Philips
only good ones
>Audio Technica
Shrill garbage
>Shure
Distortion cannons
>hifiman
break the next day
>fostex
niggerbass

Just buy speakers.

I am an AT fanboy yet I really want to dissuade you from buying this considering your usage. They don't have great comfort either which is something that's bound to annoy you when you lift. Stock pads are tiny, big pads ruin the sound and the headband has some serious clamping going on. The latter is possibly fixable by stretching but I don't dare. The joints can also be creaky noisy when they move.
Look for another closed headphone if you insist on over ear.

My Sennheiser HD-600 left ear completely stopped emitting sound, how do I replace the wiring or whatever tf

*wire snaps*

>Sennheiser overpriced
pfff....

Does any stop pads use real leather in the 200-400 euro range?

oy vey, you should have treated your high quality plastic headphones better, dumb goy

Its everywhere but the country where they shoot up schools daily, have a nigger problem and eat tidepods

Have you tried with another cable? The cable is the most likely culprit. If another cable doesn't fix it then swapping it to another driver assembly would do. Here's a video that shows how to disassemble a HD600:

youtube.com/watch?v=mBpic9jbjzs

rate the iems you own lads

>soundmagic e10
sounds amazing, mine broke after a few years of heavy abuse and daily use tho

>hifiman re-400
pretty shit tier, wish I didn't bother buying these

>zero audio carbo tenore
solid iems, my current daily use iems
i'm curious how the zero audio bass iems are

Sennheiser fanboy here. Please don't throw tomatoes at the HD600 this time around.

>Sennheiser fanboy here.

I don't recall any. I'd recommend you go for something with velour pads, like the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio. Although you might want to EQ that treble peak if you're treble sensitive, it's basically a DT770 with customizable bass and removeable cable.

>isine 10
little heavy, can get uncomfortable, good sound, tie fighter/10

Should I get HD598's for $70~? I've been using Samson SR850 for a like 5+ years now and they're starting to fall apart. Ideally I'd like a pair of Fidelio X2's, but I don't know if I want to spend an extra $100~ over the 598's.

598 are better than X2, which are bass cannons.

Yes

This whole headphone world is a fucking jungle, and I think I'm about to jump down the rabbitwhole, just need your guys to help!

>Budget
900$ (would be equivalent of 600-700$ in the states, because my country is expensive)

>Location
Denmark

>Source
Only motherboard. I am looking for both headphones and an amp and dac

>Type of headphone
Fullsized over-ear

>Open or closed
Doesn't matter

>Comfort level
Very comfortable

>Sound signature
Warm, I listen to EDM, R&B and rock mostly

>Past headphones
I have a pair of ATH-M50x and Shure SE215. I really enjoy the M50x, but as I have just spend 2k upgrading my speakers, I want to upgrade my headphones now.

Anyone have experience with Sennheiser customer support? If I shoot off an email telling them "Hey my cable's fucking dead after a couple months of light use" will they just ship me out a new one or are they going to make me jump through hoops? It's a $15 cable so I'd like to think they'll just send it to me no questions asked to appease me.

Disregard the sennheiser fanboys. The X2 and many other headphones are massive improvements over the 5xx line of senn. If you dislike the bass you can just eq it down, and it works far better than eq'ing it up on an headphone with terrible bass. 598 are mudcanons.

>you can just eq it down
And what the fuck is the point of this? You can just buy headphones that are not bass cannons instead.

>eq'ing it up on an headphone with terrible bass
It literally works the same way you retarded fuck.

Sennheiser has stellar customer support, but whether you'll have to do something like sending back your cable or not is not predictable. Just go and ask them, what's wrong with politely asking? send an email with proof of purchase and ask if it is possible for them to send you a replacement cable. If it's not possible without hoops then you can just tell them you're not interested. Why are you asking us here instead of just interacting with them? are you afraid of other human beings?

Alright m8 thanks.
From the pics I would've thought velour pads would be worse for the gym and soak from the sweat compared to the msr7 ones but you probably know more about it than me.

Trying again.

>Budget
250€, I'm not against the idea of buying used cans from Amazon if need be (some get a pretty big price cut simply because they've been opened or have a few scuffs on them)

>Location
France

>Source
Yamaha A-S301

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
I exclusively asked for closed heaphones the last time I filled this form but I'm willing to give open headphones a try if they provide in comfort and sound quality what they lack in sound isolation

>Comfort level
Not my biggest concern if they're closed heaphones but they better be comfortable as hell if they're open ones

>Sound signature
Preferably neutral but I don't mind if it gets a bit V-shaped

>Past headphones
Koss Porta Pro
ATH-M40X (current headphones)
KZ ZS6 (only use them to work out)
ATH-MSR7 (liked the sound signature but ended up returning them because of the creaking and relatively lacking noise isolation for closed cans)