Winrar vs 7zip

So, which one is better? I'd like to know which of these should i trust for archiving purposses and encryption wise.

Im going to upload my pictures files and everything else to the cloud after archieving and password protecting them.

>inb4 just use this and that and this and also this shitty encryption software which cant be opened by other softwate

Other urls found in this thread:

landave.io/2018/01/7-zip-multiple-memory-corruptions-via-rar-and-zip/
security.stackexchange.com/questions/18281/does-password-protecting-an-archived-file-actually-encrypt-it
nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tar+gzip+gpg

t. unzip filepath filename

bzip2

>I'd like to know which of these should i trust for archiving purposses and encryption wise.

Veracrypt.

They're both cuckware anyway.

Try file.zip.aes.gpg and then use Veracrypt.

go back to Sup Forums
we won't help you save your pizza collection

GPL is cuckware?

WinRAR's only advantage is that it preserves creation date otherwise use 7zip if you don't care about that.

just use 7zip, it's everywhere and just works
if you're gonna back up CP to the cloud, you deserve to get fucked
for less sensitive material, you're gonna be fine

you can do that with 7zip, use the tc and ta parameters
would be nice if it was enabled by default though, or just a plain checkmark

landave.io/2018/01/7-zip-multiple-memory-corruptions-via-rar-and-zip/

[spoiler]this shit is fucking amazing and you can't sleep like this unless you want to wake up with Ultra type 2 blue balls of death[/spoiler]

>tl;dr
>Ctrl+F gzip
>No matches
>Ctrl+F gpg
>No matches

me on the right

>lrn2google op
security.stackexchange.com/questions/18281/does-password-protecting-an-archived-file-actually-encrypt-it

literally both in first post
fucking lying nigger

.tar.bz2
.tar.xz
are the only correct answers

reminder that lzma is trash for archiving and rar 5.0 is god tier

nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html

>lzma
>trash
hmm, just compressed 100GB of a drive image down to 55GB with LZMA2, whilst RAR5 in comparison got stuck 63GB

Else you are a complete normie and just do basic bitch pdf/txt file compression or you really think RAR's version of PPMd would be good. Rar is horseshit.

winrar has memes
7zip doesn't

Nope, zero results. Fuck off, gzip is not zip retard. You must be 18+ to be here.

Do you need to compress to .rar? If so, WinRAR. Otherwise, use either or Peazip. They all accomplish the same tasks for the most part.

>calling others retarded when gunzipping instead of beautiful XZ

>just compressed 100GB of a drive image down to 55GB
wut, how

>PPMd
I love 7z's version of ppmd
Fast and get great results on text

Antonio Diaz (the guy who wrote the article) makes the closely related lzip format (lzma2 with better error correction etc) He doesn't say use rar (which is probably worse for long term storage than xz anyway since it is proprietary. If you disagree I've got pac files from 25 years ago I'd like you to open)

7Zip because it's the one I'm currently using.

>hmm, just compressed 100GB of a drive image down to 55GB with LZMA2
Is this true?

7-Zip as a "daily driver" and if it can't open some proprietary winrar format, then use winrar 40 days shareware edition

gpg has its own compression which is good enough for most uses