How is the music scene on your campus? Is the student radio patrician...

How is the music scene on your campus? Is the student radio patrician? Any Sup Forums-approved artists perform for your school?

Is there no higher education in Alaska?

I go to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) and the music scene blows. The city is awesome but kind of small to have a good scene.

I listen to the college NPR station for news but when they start playing music I change it. 95% of the time it is random bar-rock bands that nobody cares about playing.

What is this map supposed to represent

>NDSU covers the entire Dakotas
>No UND
What the fuck

>Dakota
lol

>Cuse covers almost all of upstate NY

RETARD ALERT WEE WOO

It's hard to have a football team when your state is covered in snow and bitter darkness most of the time.

It's just some map from Sup Forums. Don't take it so seriously.

>only state schools

Triggered

umass is decent, tons of house shows, the radio station gets good artists sometimes, we just had porches tho im guessing Sup Forums doesnt like em much they were a fun show.

i went to u of a and the closest thing i found to a music scene was the radio station but that wasn't even that tight knit. but i know some guys who went to NAU and now they're in a band and touring all over the place playing shows and i even saw them mentioned here on Sup Forums once. fuck me

Band name?
See

I run a radio show at my uni. I play noise, ambient, and drone along with other tangentially related genres.

Any advice on getting hired to do that?

Who the fuck turns on the radio to listen to fucking noise and drone. b8 or just straight faggot

BYU here (Utah). Most people listen to generic artists that Mormons don't have problems with, like 21 pilots, Coldplay, Lindsey Stirling, Imagine Dragons, etc

Why the fuck would you go to BYU? For me BYU would be the last school I would ever go to in the US.

Coffee Pot

Why are there so many mormons on Sup Forums?
I grew up in Utah and I get >triggered when I see someone mention BYU or SLC

lmao this, i know a few people who still do the radio shows at college and it's fucking hilarious to hear them boast about having 16 listeners the other night.

i dont actually have a show myself, and yeah u dont get much listenerhsip, but i know people who have gotten cool internships and shit through the connections you can make. probably depends on the station though.

Purdue takes up the largest portion of Indiana and Norte Dame is 2nd.
IU is there just for show though.

How do I get into the student radio scene at all? Do you just sign up or do you have to know someone?

I'm not the guy you're replying to but i also do college radio. Honestly i don't really care about having a lot of listeners or putting on a good show or whatever-- the radio booth just has nice speakers and it's a nice way to meet other people who give a shit about music. I sometimes play ambient or drone and people have told me they like it as study music. Usually i just play weird pop music or house and techno. Sometimes i'll do a night of folk or psychedelic rock or jazz. It doesn't really seem worth it to play noise or anything super inaccessible, though.

>student radio

What?

>tfw want to go to WVU but not enough money
Is UMD a decent school ?

google it for your school to see if there even is a station, then send them an email. depending on the size of the school and how seriously anybody takes radio, it can vary from "cool, your show starts next week" to a semester-long internship with training and an audition or something like that

I played football when I lived in Alaska. It wasn't very hard. The lack of a football team there is due to lack of funds rather than weather.

It's Fordam and their radio station is an NPR affiliate, but I don't really understand what that entails. I'm not starting school there until the fall however so I don't think emailing the radio now would do much.

yeah i don't think it would. i'm sure in the fall they'll do some kind of advertising for new DJs. if they're an NPR affiliate it'll probably take a decent amount of work to become a DJ but the station will probably be good quality and lead to internships/jobs if you want em.

>that tiny corner in PA for Temple
>mfw Penn State is the choice school for my area even though it's full of drunken Chads, basic bitches, and rapists

WCBN is the best campus radio shout out to laurel halo

oh man wfuv? i listen to them all the time. no idea what the process is like for them since there like a "real" radio station, not a student one. i imagine they have internships and stuff though at least. def worth it to try to get involved.

The website says they have 90 students working for them which isn't a lot considering there are ~8000 undergrads on campus. A lot of my friends tell me that the coolest people at our local state school work at the radio so I was hoping it would be the same at WFUV

thats a good amount of students tho, sure if you put the effort in you could eventually get involved just will take some work :^)

Eastern Conn. State. It's filled with edgy faggots that unironically listen to metalcore and were bullied in high school. Worst part is, they're bullshit theater and women's studies majors so they don't get low enough GPA's to get weeded out by the system.

You have to hang out with rugby douchebags because they're the only ones on this campus that don't listen to Of Mice and Men and complain about their dads 24/7. I swear to fucking god my neighbor last year used to drive to the mall every week to talk with the Hot Topic employees about the latest Avenged Sevenfold releases or whatever the fuck.

If this school wasn't affordable and filled with phat booties I swear I'd drop out ad become a fucking farmer or some shit. The only bands I've had the misfortune of seeing live include a four faggots that wear dresses on-set to make some retarded feminist SJW statement, a punk band that only does covers, and a metalcore band which consists exclusively of fat bearded pussies. The campus radio is pretty patrician, at least, but we also get Uconn's radio so there's no reason to listen to ours

im mad

purdue is a public school

>UT Austin
>Considered the music capital b/c ACL and other music venues

Too bad the traffic sucks in the summer time.

>Putting noise and drone music on a radio show

I'd be surprised if you get past 2 viewers faggot

Too bad it's filled with normies

Because it's cheap and I'm Mormon.
Because Mormons need music too, and Sup Forums isn't half as bad as it used to be 10 years ago. And I'm not from Utah, I just moved here to go to BYU

>I DJed on KCOU, Mizzou's student radio for a few years. They gave me a late night slot, but I didn't really care, because they also let me play whatever I wanted. I did a lot of experimental stuff, full sides of albums, plus various themed shows like an Elephant 6 special. Occasionally did some live improvisations, but they were tough to coordinate with nobody else in the building at 2am.

I'm honestly conflicted-- the management gave me complete freedom, but there wasn't a single other decent show on the station. We had so much freedom, and yet the other DJs were all journalism and business students whose tastes fell on the milder side of Pitchfork.

We did have a really fucking cushy studio, though. The engineer also made whatever changes I asked to the hardware, since I was the only person who used inputs other than the computer.

Sorry, accidental greentext

it's you who sounds like the edgy one desu friendo

I wanted to be a part of my college radio station, but all the other shows playing are full of really average music, and one of the main reasons I would want to get into it is to find other people with interesting taste so I don't see the point

fucking Canadians get out, reee

im a europoor
what's state of washington like, in terms of college radios?

Temple shit m8

>moving to Utah
JUST

>Considered the music capital b/c ACL

don't get out much, do you?

KEXP 90.3 in Seattle is a pretty good station.

true, but then im just proving my point that ECSU is for edgy dumbasses

touché

>uga
>athens, ga
Our music scene is fucking amazing.

Different user here, but I'm pretty sure I know who this is (Go Hawks). We actually had a handful of people take the time to call in to tell us they liked the music. 8-10PM on a Thursday night is a perfect time to stay in and listen to unobtrusive music. I got to play a lot of favorites of mine, greats of the genre, and small time acts from the bandcamp threads and local artists. It was tons of fun. Great job at being mature.

any good electronic acts around there?

KRUI is one of the largest student organizations in the whole college and it also happens to be entirely student-run. Go to intro meetings, go to all required training sessions, and have a great application and pitch for a show.
I'm one of the dudes that ran show of ambient, drone, and noise. I do agree that it was a great way to hear the music somewhere other than my headphones.

I second this. I was a dj at the radio station for the past year and they give you the freedom to play pretty much whatever you want

What was the process like for getting your own show?

NIU has a wonderful DIY scene around it. But there isn't even a college station that I'm aware of

>El Paso
Fuck all y'all

Going to UT in the fall. What should I expect?

>Texas A&M
>radio station has over a hundred members but is disorganized as fuck
>I used to play jazz and hip hop but we are currently inactive (long story)
>campus is mostly just east texas hicks or sheltered suburbanites
>still some people with good taste to hang out with just bc there are so many damn students (~50,000 undergrad)
Overall it's a cool place but I'd never live here after I'm done my undergrad degree

I made this shit as a station t-shirt idea and it got several laughs