/wt/ Watch Thread - Shitter island edition

This thread is about the appreciation of timekeeping, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=oB5hzlDe10c

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 101:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f21/where-seiko-watches-really-made-juicy-mistake-1084156.html
fratellowatches.com/seiko-factory-visit-trip-report-part-1/
youtu.be/bSSC9e_RO6Y
watchguy.co.uk/a-rare-find-omega-speedmaster-105-003-64-calibre-321/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Money priorities atm
Golf clubs > g shock and a Rolex > save for a deposit on a house

Build your own clubs for a fraction of the cost. It's not hard.

Next purchase.

Besides Amazon, what are some good places to buy watches online?

or build your own watch
desu I have assess to all the same Chinese parts that every Swiss company uses so it would be possible if I wasn't retarded

fleabay

I’m planning on doing a lot of travelling and being outdoors this year and next, ideally with nothing other than a sketchbook and pen case for company. I want a tough, watertight mechanical watch that isn’t so expensive that I’ll be torn up if it gets knocked about, or stolen.

Trying to absolutely minimise the amount of tech I carry with me, and a G-Shock wrist carbuncle isn’t happening. Do I have any better options than sticking pic related on a grey nato?

How do you mean build my own clubs? Like buy the heads, shafts and grips and put it together?

Stop playing golf and set up a workshop and make stuff for yourself, not golf clubs, but furniture etc.
You will feel much more happy that way.

Implying. What makes me happy is being outside. Hiking, biking, hunting, fishing, diving, and recently golf. My clubs are 50 or so years old and falling apart and an inch too short for my height.
I am handy round the flat fixing things and building.stuff but that's not what makes me happy atm.

Yep. Golfsmith used to be a great place to get all that stuff, but they closed up a few years ago. Thet's where my clubs came from. There's various sporting goods stores that still sell components.

Por que no los dos?

I haven't seen heads sold on their own in any stores I have looked at. But then I wasn't really looking for them. Will try find some and look into it.

Found the first cuck without any motoric skills ITT.
Enjoy getting everything made for you and creating nothing during your life.

wut

Was looking through a couple stores for a couple midrange price watches and found some nice Skagens, but they seem sketchy so I got a nice GShock instead.
Is skagen good or just fancy chinkshit

Skagen is a fashion brand.

>chinese quartz copy of a komanderskie
What a fucking time to be alive

Oof dodged an $80 bullet

buy a seiko :D

In our previous case study we had the case of a fake casio f-91w.
We concluded that it is crossing the line.
So is this too.

what was the name of that PO rep?
It wasn't a Parnis.

My shitty notifier just arrived
Will post pictures in F I V E H O U R S

A rep or a 'homage'?
Maybe try alpha.

Here's something different

It's easy if you're not modifying the movement. I have parts on the way for my first watch.

You can buy seagull movements cheap, hell even canibalise a Seiko to put your own junker together

I'd get a Turtle because I don't like the SKX. It has a better movement too.

this

This is my aspirational piece.

The aspiration being that my country may one day follow Japan's example and once again take price in its own history, heritage, and people.

Country? I hope not Sweden cause it's hopeless.

Not quite as bad as Sweden, but in the same Euro ballpark.

Germany? Belgium?

>Belgium
Ja.

There's hope for the Flemish part, but Brussels and Wallifornia are lost.

Brussels is basically Sweden at this point. Take care, user.

Fuck the french

All we have to do is follow Japan's example.
Japan has some of the biggest cities in the world; and crime is virtually non-existent.
It can be done.

This is the perfect tool watch.
Try to prove me wrong.

They have many problems that stem from the same reasons they don't have a lot of crime.

Needs a gmt hand and gmt bezel. That adds time zone tracking as well as still being able to do everything that a regular dove bezel can do if you arent retarded.

Trivial compared to what's happening in the West.

Well I'm not so sure about that. I've had one of these "tool watches" in recently, a tritium Luminox, that was dropped ONCE. The cannon pinion went out of alignment and one of the (metal) gear wheels just broke the pivot off. It just had a basic Ronda quartz movement. This uses a similar ETA 955.652.

Now I'm kinda convinced mechanicals make for more robust watches, since pinion thickness and torque will be way more than a quartz.

Super high suicide rates, young people that don't go out and talk to people... Those are massive problems. The current Japanese way of life can't work in the long term.

Topkek. Are you for real?

Conviction rate is nearly 100% in Japan. Basically if you end up in court you're fucked. They're like "well if you're here you must have done SOMETHING" and sentence you pretty much automatically.

>Super high suicide rates
Declining since 2013.

>young people that don't go out and talk to people...
Like everywhere.

>Those are massive problems.
They are not.

>The current Japanese way of life can't work in the long term.
You are delusional.
Worst that will happen is the population shrinks for a generation or two.
And just a couple of years ago the current population is the highest it's ever been in all of Japan's history, so a little correction is nothing to be feared.

I'd take a little population correction over population displacement any fucking day.

>They're like "well if you're here you must have done SOMETHING" and sentence you pretty much automatically.
Conjecture.

For very real.

I saw a pair of marinaster professionals in a store downtown the other day
VERY nice
If I didn't just buy a watch I'd pick one up
Maybe in a month or two I'll go and check them out

What watch did you get?

Japan's social problems are so minor compared to anywhere in the West

It's biggest issues are geopolitical in finding it's place between China and the USA, but socially Japan is a great place (I've spent a year there)
Western media puts out loads of anti-Japan propaganda as a way to "stick it" to those who try to hold them as some example.
They do the same with china as well (and the Soviet Union in the past so it's not mecessaially a right-left thing

What a stupid post

This.

Help me I can't stop browsing vintage watches at work

Just enjoy what is already on your wrist senpai :^^)

>basic Ronda quartz movement (715?)
>similiar to a thermocompensated quartz
kek.jpg
also,
>i had a bad experience with a quartz so all quartz watches are crap

That's nice, user.
>i had a bad experience
>i had experience
Fixed. Bet you don't even change your own batteries, stupid.

Only chinese watches bro??

this is such a nice watch, but I'm unsure if I could spend Rolex prices on a Seiko (not even a Grand Seiko)

The waterproofing on these watches is real serious. Even the crystal is secured by a screwdown ring (like an Amphibia caseback) making a decompression blowout very unlikely.

I suppose this is why Tunas don't need helium valves even though Seiko credits this to the special L-shaped gaskets.

I've been reading about the design specs and its some really cool stuff
but I don't dive deep at all, rarely go below 10m swimming and freediving.
I like to have a sturdy watch since I go spearfishing underwater but with a snorkel
the normal tuna is cheaper so I might spring for that

It's really a very different feeling when you have a watch on your wrist you know will survive in conditions you won't, as opposed to a normal casual watch.

My Shitfibia feels very different now after I managed to verify that it's completely waterproof with the new gaskets. I tortured the case quite a bit in my chink leak tester.

Has anyone found a nice bracelet that matches the AE1200's taper? It's 18mm to 24mm

They're from the Eaglemoss watch collection aren't they?

Shame it's fugging ginormous.

>SARB033 discontinued
>prices jump $60
I bet the Jews did this.

>filename

is this image bait?

what the fuck is that?

It's standard Seiko procedure. I don't understand why people are surprised still.

Seiko has been discontinuing watches after very successful runs for literally decades

Is that an actual Rolex design?

If Seiko would have bought Omega as they originally wanted to they would have discontinued the MOTFM in a heartbeat.

they have a billion lines anyway and will probably introduce a lookalike in some other line if these are popular

so?
they follow the Pokemon philosophy
Omega has too many dumb "special edition" watches
Christ if Seiko owned Omega it would be so good

All of their current watches with the 6R15 are $500+. The SARBs were in the 4R35 price bracket

Are (all) SARBs 100% Japanese made

no
SARB has Chinese parts "made in Japan" legally only means that a Japanese national oversaw the entire production
I believe the Presage line is fully made in japan though

SHHHHHHHHHHH ONLY THE SWISS DO THAT. THE SEIKOS THAT ARE ALL MADE IN CHINA LIKE THE SKX ARE BETTER THAN ALL OTHER WATCHES AT THEIR PRICE POINTS BECUASE ISO LMAO.

isn't Swiss made a lot more strict? and majority of production has to be IN Switzerland as well as any outside production overseen and regulated by the Swiss?

I know where you got this from; here: forums.watchuseek.com/f21/where-seiko-watches-really-made-juicy-mistake-1084156.html

I'm not sure how reliable this is, since some of the info is verifiably false.
For instance: he says the 8L35 movement in the Marine Master is "robot assembled", which is not true. See pic related, it's a watchmaker at Morioka (where mechanical GS movements are made) assembling an 8L35 by hand.
Source: fratellowatches.com/seiko-factory-visit-trip-report-part-1/

>100 dollar movement
>500+ dollar watches
its ok guys they are not shitters cause the finishing is better cause i just said so

Good morning wt

Hope you're just pretending to be retarded

youtu.be/bSSC9e_RO6Y

Your buttmad is palpable, man

>inb4 "that Morioka watchmaker is just doing oversight, not assembly"

Note that the rotor and a bunch of gears are not yet in place.
He's definitely doing assembly.

I'm sure a bunch of Sarb parts are made in China or whatever, I'm just saying take that whole source with a grain of salt.

How many years do you plan to spend absolutely raging on watch threads because someone pointed out that
modern Omegas (up to a couple of years ago at least) were really overpriced for what you get?

Oh so that's where he got that absurd lie that the 8L is machine made from.

I'm saying the source for his info is not reliable.
The 8L35 bit proves that.

I would appreciate it if you stopped stealing memes. You are also wasting a swatch meme on someone who made a comment about cheap Chinese watches. You should be ashamed of yourself. Memes are a scarce resource.

I managed to get my hands on one of these for $22.

Manufactured in 1978, 8200 automatic movement. Neat looks.

Anyone got some experience with these? Thoughts?

watchguy.co.uk/a-rare-find-omega-speedmaster-105-003-64-calibre-321/
>The watch found its way into our workshop through a jeweller, who had sent the watch to Omega for repair.
>They returned it telling him that they couldn’t do it, as they had no parts…
>cal. 321
>Omega has no parts
What kind of fucking shithouse is Omega running?

We worked on this caliber in school. Still in production, neat movement. It's about on par with the Seiko 7s26. If you'd spent a bit more you could have gotten a brand new one.

I'm glad another user posted a deal for $250 the week before the announcement. I could sell mine for a profit right now.

>visit shop
>try on expensive watch
>buy it
>come home
>find a scratch, probably from other people trying it on

What do?

cry

You may not realize this but that exact claim that 8Ls are machine made has been made here repeatedly by someone over the last 12 months. Your link is probably where he got that wrong information from.

I would appreciate if people didn't spend years shitting up /wt/ because of how bootyblasted they are, and yet here we are.

Ah. I thought you were being sarcastic.