Robocalls

How do you guys deal with them? I started getting tons of robocalls all of a sudden at the beginning of 2017 and it really hasn't let up at all even though I *never* pick up (I stupidly did a few times at the beginning I admit). They also keep texting me thinking I am a black woman named Lisha Lucas.

What's the best app for blocking them? I need to block random known Indian telemarkers, but specifically I need to be able to block every unknown number from my own area code + exchange, because they try and spoof call me with one of those numbers every other call.

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greythinker.punchback&hl=en
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/new-robocall-blocking-tools-on-the-way-but-carriers-can-charge-you-extra/?comments=1
community.verizonwireless.com/thread/932581
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

seriously, no one here has to deal with robocalls?
I didn't even do anything wrong to get them.. I even actively avoided giving out my number (especially for online stuff) in order to avoid them, and it worked fine for like 9 years. Then suddenly I'm on a telemarketer call list database forever.

I hate them so much. I don't need a fucking cash advance, I'm not a debt-ridden black woman, and I'm not going to call back just because they left a message that starts off with "-charges," like the recording got cut-off. I guess they think I'll be fooled into calling them back (thus revealing that I'm a "live-one" and get millions more calls) to find out exactly what they meant by "charges"

Are there any good blocking apps that let you block ranges of phone numbers with wildcards (excluding ones from your contacts) while also blocking known telemarketer numbers (both calls and SMS) by like a spam-number database? I tried Should I Answer but it doesn't block partial numbers w/ wildcards and I can't get it to block the text spam even with the recommended messenger

I just block them. Does Android not have a native call blocker option?

There's this service called "NoMoRobo" or something, and it's worked great. It was thru comcast/Xfinity's website, and our landline which used to get a ton of robocalls, now no longer does.

Google nomorobo for more info, I think you can enter your number with them and they prevent known spammer robocalls (but don't block like local city calls, or other types that are informative/whitelisted/etc)

The phone only rings once when it's a robocall, that's how I can tell the service is working, but idk if it's supposed to do that or not. But hearing a single ring a few times a day sure beats how it used to be. Best of luck dude!

kinda hard to block them when they call you with a different number every time. Half the time they just spoof their number entirely, like they think I'll pick up because the number calling is only a few digits off from my own phone number. I don't know how these known-telemarketer-number databases will ever even work in the long run. If they really take off, telemarketers will just start spoofing with a new random number for every single call

Is there some way the world's telecommunications giants and standards organizations could all work together or something to just straight-up make phone-number-spoofing no longer possible? At least on their mobile networks?

I don't have a landline and it seems that the android version is rated only 2/5 stars, but thank you anyway

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greythinker.punchback&hl=en

install this shit.
yes, there are ads but it is literally that fucking good. My antisocial ass only has a whitelist of a dozen or so numbers that can call or text me.
no unwanted calls EVER.

Google Voice filters them and if I start getting any on my real phone number I spend 5 minutes asking Tmobile live chat to change my number.

i live in a first world country, amerifag

look at this,
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/new-robocall-blocking-tools-on-the-way-but-carriers-can-charge-you-extra/?comments=1

so now phone companies are allowed and encouraged to let customers block calls from spoofed and anonymous phone numbers. So why the fuck does Verizon not offer anything at except retard-tier "FamilyBase" for $5 a month that is about as effective as the most rudimentary free app on the store? I just read this thread and I'm seething with rage at Verizon defending this shit:
community.verizonwireless.com/thread/932581

How can you just change your number like that? Don't you have friends and family who all have to be informed every time?

Verizon confirmed pro-robocall

see THIS is what I really want, pic related
How do I get a service that detects and blocks fake numbers at the source like this? Who even offers one? Because I would definitely pay for that by the month if it actually worked. Without spoofing, telemarketers are helpless to avoid just being put on blacklists and easily blocked by everyone

I give people my Google Voice number.

It forwards to any number or computer I use.

huh
I might just do that, then. I'll transfer my old number to google voice and ask Verizon to change my actual phone number, then have Google redirect any valid calls to that number on my real phone.
Thanks!

>$5
no

they're called phone trees you autistic slurd

> it seems that the android version is rated only 2/5 stars
Thats because people don't realize it's not free. They just install it and think it's working. On mobile, it costs $2, every month.

Don't speak first. They rely on you talking to work. A human who is getting paid to shill, will have to speak up.

Doesn't work. They'll still call, and if you don't answer, they'll just hang up.

90% of the time I get a call nobody says anything when I answer and just hangs up. Annoying as fuck.

there are a ton of 1 star reviews saying it's shit, lets all sorts of robocalls through and it barely works, but one guy who gave it 5 stars said he thought they were all nuts and must just be robocallers review bombing it. Maybe he is right? I don't know, I guess I'll try it out first instead of google voice, since you have to spend $20 to transfer your old number there anyway

man I don't even pick up for anyone anymore unless they are already in my contacts. Picking up just lets them think they have a chance and encourages them to call you more. If it's important then they can leave a message

Do these apps work for text message spam too? I'm assuming google voice probably does, but I don't want to put my phone even more on the google botnet (even though I already have fucking android)

my uncle picks up every call and if it's not a robot he screams at the person for like 15 minutes and demands to be taken off their calling list, it's funny shit. Doing that just makes them call him 10x more too

Best way I've found to get off their list is to just waste their time.
Pick up and uh-huh at them until they get through their script, "I don't have one" for credit cards and the sort
At the end of the day, robocalls cost them nothing, but you wasting their operator's time does.
If I'm too busy to bother uh-huhing at them, I'll just answer and stick the phone back in my pocket.