I've got a guitar coming in the mail (pic related). I'm going to self teach...

I've got a guitar coming in the mail (pic related). I'm going to self teach, probably starting with the basics and youtube tutorials and then maybe I'll move on to rocksmith to try to hone my skills and learn some songs. Is it true that I'll need to take it to a shop and get it serviced before I play since I'm getting it shipped to me? Any recommendations for quick nice songs to learn with a little bit to them (no stairway or normiewall allowed)? Any general tips? Thanks guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IlRVH5Jsxdc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Getting your guitar set up will cost about 50-60$ and it's well worth it. I played on a piece of shit for 2 year or so before I had it set up and it's a world of difference.

Alright, that's a bit of a bummer, but thanks. The store I ordered at had a qt working there, maybe I'll be able to see her when I get it set up.

Does your music store have a guitar technician? Make sure he's a good one. Also, you'll be leaving your guitar there for a couple days.

Good bands to start learning on would be basically any 90s alt band or whatever. Just slow-medium speed songs built on chords. Make sure to practice your fundamentals as well though; when I practice I usually do 30-45 minutes of fundamentals and then just fuck around on my guitar for another hour or so.

>a couple days
>a c o u p l e d a y s
fug I've already been waiting to get the thing for so long and I've been so excited. This might kill me.

Think I would be alright jumping into smells like teen spirit fairly quickly? That's one I've been wanting to pick up.

Pretty easy song brah, that would be fine to start with. My favorite band when I started was smashing pumpkins so I was doing shit like today, cherub rock, 1979 etc. BUT remember to develop good fundamentals because they're real fuckin annoying to correct after months or years in my case of playing guitar.

Once you get comfortable with moving your fingers on the frets and into chord shapes it's an easy one to play. The strumming can sometimes take some time to perfect.

If you're okay with the genre, classtab.org is your best friend for developing technique. Tabs are easy as hell to read, and there's tons of them on that website from the stupidly-easy to really-fuckin-difficult. If all you're interested in playing is rock and non-jazz contemporary music, I have no clue. Good luck, I guess?

It's very unlikely it'll need any adjustments. If you have an electric tuner fixing intonation is very simple. If there is some kind of inexplicable fret buzz then you can think of taking it to a shop, otherwise it is not necessary.
It would be more worthwhile to spend you $50 on a professional lesson to get some basics and ask someone knowledgeable if the guitar needs some kind of adjustment.

Dude, it's a mass produced chinamade piece of garbage. It doesn't NEED to be setup, but it will be 100x more satisfying to play.

Not OP here, but I'm also a noob player.

How do I not suck?
I've been playing a few months now, and also have a teacher for cheap all of these months, but I can't seem to get where I want.

I want to sound something like
youtube.com/watch?v=IlRVH5Jsxdc

but instead I'm stuck playing relatively easy songs like stairway to heaven and stuff by jacj johnson. I also learned a little johnny cash and basic fingerpicking, I can do streets of london.

How do I sound like the guy in the YT link though? Does guitar being used make a big difference? I currently have a monoprice electric and a fender squire acoustic, both the poor man's choice guitar, not that i feel a need to be "cool", but I imagine instrument quality matters right?

tl;dr,

How do I get good, and does instrument quality matter?

OP, do not use fucking Rocksmith. Rocksmith sucks donkey dick.
You will only get worse.

Buy like a $100 guitar and $100 amp to start out with, play for another year or so, then invest in a real guitar. I played a $200 set of gear for 5 years before I spend about $3000 on a guitar and amp, but that was mainly because I didn't have a job that would afford me them until then.

Instrument quality is utterly irrelevant as long as you didn't buy your guitar at Target. If you're learning fingerstyle, like the guy in your video, something much more important than guitar quality is how you're picking. To get the sort of bright tone that he is out of the strings you need fingernails and to have good form with them. The more finger-flesh you hit the string with the more muted the sound.

Really, it's just practice. Guitarists in particular have a problem with prioritizing gear quality over personal skill. If you practice with your instrument and really pay attention to the little details in how you play, it doesn't matter whether your guitar cost $100 or $20,000.

>I want to the technique of a musician with thousands of hours put into their craft in a few months

Also familiarity with your instrument is more important than quality. Getting a better guitar will not make you a better guitarist after playing for such little time.

Why is it bad? It just seems like it would be a fun way to monitor progress and learn songs. The riff repetition thing would be fun to prac with idk.
[spoilers]and thanks for the (You)s, guys. I'm happy with everyone's advice and this thread such far.[/spoilers]

The way Rocksmith notates songs is weird and no one else uses it. It won't teach you to read either tabs or sheet music, the two actual ways people write down music. I'm not him, but other than that I can't think of any problems with it.

[spoiler]Oh my god I'm retarded[/spoiler]

make sure you learn it the right way and play the sus chords in it and not just the power chords (kurt played sus chords in that one, intentionally, but he had no idea what it was called).

Holy shit if the online definitions to that aren't confusing for a noobie. Would you mind explaining how to play a sus chord? Or would it come up on google if I looked at the tabs and googled each chord