If you can use Linux, why can't you use Unix ?!

If you can use Linux, why can't you use Unix ?!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2HO_MXPjnqg&t=61s
brendangregg.com/blog/2017-09-05/solaris-to-linux-2017.html
github.com/saniv/free-game-art/blob/master/foss-copyright-infringement-records.md
sco.com/products/openserver507/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can. Maybe YOU can't, but that's just because you are retarded.

nonono, I CAN but why can't YOU. No one ever answers.

Oh, I guess it's because you're retarded and I'm not.

youtube.com/watch?v=2HO_MXPjnqg&t=61s

Because it's 2018 who the fuck uses Unix anymore?

dont mind the timestamp

Because GNU's not Unix

Never tried it. Shouldn't be that hard of a switch, though.

Blessed guy, BTFO most of Sup Forums wannabes and freetards.

Even x86 is a CISC ISA that runs on RISC CPUs

Do people on Sup Forums know what Unix or *nix is at all?
>USE BSD INSTEAD OF LINUX
In what world is modern BSD more Unix than Linux?
>USE SUN OS
Again, what the fuck
People don't even know what Unix is and we're arguing over this petty shit.
It's not even more than a buzzword at this point,

Unix is non-free pig disgusting.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

You have no idea yourself it seems.

>but those direct unix descendants are not UNIX reeee! *cry* *cry*

It's dead simple. Shitty 3rd party support.
>also
brendangregg.com/blog/2017-09-05/solaris-to-linux-2017.html

*BSD and Solaris are UNIX.
Linux is "UNIX Like".

why would you want to run a Sun server?

Reading this really makes you see what a huge hack Linux is
It's sad

Why wouldn't you? Do you really give enough crap what serves you your chink cartoons? Get a life dude.

I wonder what is your point. Likely nothing.

Because RISC architecture is going to change everything.

Decendants? How are they descendants when their code isn't the same as the ""real"" UNIX though? Didn't BSD have to rewrite their code because of muh copyright in the 90's?
Then again, what's the difference? Enlighten me

I can't tell this guy he should run Linux because I've never ran Linux on RISC. Maybe Linux is shit on RISC, I dunno.

Why RISC? I'm pretty sure Sun servers aren't exactly cheaper than a Dell PowerEdge or whatever.

Grumpy coma victim. Openmandriva gone bankrupt several years ago. Mageia is its successor.

>let me show you guys on my main PC
>it's running Windows 10
Why would take this guy seriously? No one is saying they can't use Unix, it just seems silly in [CURRENT YEAR].

>muh sun server
WHY SUN SERVER?

telcom companies use it for infrastructure still

Those were the fastest adopters of Linux.

I worked at hospital and going into the telecom room maintained by the telco in the basement was like walking into a room that no one had been inside of for 25 years.

sage
ENFL? he said that the point was linux being a hack

Wait, wait, wait... do you actually think a program has to have direct code from past releases in its sources to be a descendant of something?
Between Vista and Windows 10, the whole codebase got rewritten from the kernel down, Windows 10 and Windows XP are not related anymore by your definition.

>it just seems silly in [CURRENT YEAR].
That's what everyone (except autists and freetards) says about GNU/Linux also.

No one says that about running a Linux server, this is a headless server discussion. Who runs Windows Server in [CURRENT YEAR] other than pleb devs who write fucking ASP trash or whatever?

I see things this way.
If you have a son, he's yours; you share many similarities at the DNA level.
However, if you adopt a son, he IS also your son, but he doesn't share DNA.
With that analogy, it doesn't seem far-fetched to me to say that 'Unix' is kind of like the father of all of this systems.
Modern BSD distros are no more Unix because of that simple fact, heck, macOS doesn't fully comply with POSIX yet it's a 'certified Unix' for whatever that means.

If it didn't fully comply with POSIX it wouldn't have obtained UNIX certification

Where do I "buy" Unix?

People who invested money in hardware that isn't x86 commodity crap. Oracle on AIX is fast and bulletproof.

What even is Unix

Unix is a family of operating systems, UNIX is a standard for portability between operating systems

github.com/saniv/free-game-art/blob/master/foss-copyright-infringement-records.md

that is why

>doesn't fully comply with POSIX yet it's a 'certified Unix'
This isn't actually possible.

Not him but I want to answer you guys IMHO, it all depends on what real Unix is. Is it an OS based on System V? Is it an OS whose vendor has paid the Open Group for a license to use the term Unix? Is it an OS that can be sued by SCO? Is it an OS that is POSIX compliant?

Personally, the argument tends to be pointless in all respect excepts one... price. After Apple acquired NeXT, it was selling OPENSTEP for $800. Why? Because of licenses that had to be paid for every copy Apple sold. By the time Apple was selling Rhapsody (Mac OS X Server 1.x.x) it had dropped to about $500. Why? Apple started to replace licensed parts of the OS with open source elements or proprietary elements that Apple developed. Mac OS X is now about $130. As an owner of a number of versions of OPENSTEP, Rhapsody and Mac OS X I am completely happy with the choices Apple made to get the price down. Paying more for saying Mac OS X is UNIX won't make it run any better, only cost more.

I would point out that I also have Apple's true Unix OS, A/UX, which is based on System V (release 2.2). Just because it licensed the ability to be a true Unix (and cost over $800 when it was new) doesn't mean it even holds a candle to Mac OS X of today.

From a strictly legal stand point, after the court battles between AT&T and BSD, it is commonly known that BSD is not considered UNIX by the Open Group. As the lineage of Mac OS X started out with 4.3BSD and 4.4BSD and later implemented aspects of NetBSD and OpenBSD and is now centered on elements ported from FreeBSD, I think it is safe to say that Apple isn't looking to spend the time or the money needed to try to fight the tide to get the Open Groups expensive label of UNIX applied.

>I got banned from a bunch of subreddits for disagreeing with them
wow so shocking

>I think it is safe to say that Apple isn't looking to spend the time or the money needed to try to fight the tide to get the Open Groups expensive label of UNIX applied.
Every OS X version since 10.5 on Intel is UNIX certified by the Open Group, each time they obtained this certification it cost $15k. It's clearly worth the time and money for Apple to do it if they've been doing it consistently for over a decade.

What?

You still haven't answered though.
What's a """""true""""" Unix?
Like I said, it's highly subjective.

I wasn't trying to answer any questions, I was correcting an error.

if you had actually been on reddit you know that people are banned for being assholes while they disagree and not just because people disagree. given the tone on that github page the guy is a gigantic dick regardless of whatever point they're making.

Both on there and Sup Forums, no, you can get banned just for disagreeing with someone.

>BSD is Unix
What a fucking idiot.
Also, nobody gives a flying fuck about "Unix"; it's about POSIX.

Oh great, it's some e-celeb horseshit.

>In what world is modern BSD more Unix than Linux?
In a world where it's POSIX compliant and GNU PLUS Linux isn't.

>Who runs Windows Server in [CURRENT YEAR] other than pleb devs who write fucking ASP trash or whatever?
People who need a domain controller, which is pretty much everyone with an office.

sco.com/products/openserver507/

unix is pretty shitty for anything that isn't bragging about your retro hardware

even solaris is only useful for bullshit middleware

>BSD
>POSIX-compliant
Only if you invest effort into removing all the BSD-isms, so it's like Linux in this regard.

I CAN but I don't want to

is this the new Terry?
seems he is not familiar with system administration, he is just a (l)user

Well, it's more compliant.

Because Unix is deprecated by GNU.
BSD and Solaris aren't Unix (the OS) nor UNIX (the trademark).
Linux is a kernel.
Unix is a proprietary OS from the 70s.

Unix here, UNIX there, so NERDU

don't forget
>muh unix philosophy

Whoever pays to use the copyright.

right, so like 1 server out of however you have. No one seriously uses Windows Server for anything but control people's plebtops.

Cool moving of the goalposts there. And no, most medium sized companies have several domain controllers and SQL servers. IIS still has around half the market, anyway. You're living in fantasy land.

>MSSQL
>IIS
Right, so ASP plebs, lol.

If you have more than a basic DC and Exchange server for your office plebs (if you're such a lowly IT worker) you're running a pleb shop.

>comparing a kernel with a complete operating system

Yeah why not go decades back in tech and install some proprietary crap.

Apparently you think adding "pleb" every three words makes your lack of an argument more compelling. Go get a job and see for yourself.

Why would a kernel be UNIX? It's a kernel.

Anyway, there are UNIX-certified Linux distros, do some more research next time.

>Why would a kernel be UNIX? It's a kernel.
I bet you thought that was insightful when you typed it, but nobody mentioned just a kernel.

You don't have an argument you complain about being called a pleb.

If you're running your primarily services off of Windows Server, you're a pleb. Simple as that. That's why most competent shops (any I've worked in) use Linux for 95% of everything. You can expect to find as many OpenBSD firewalls as you will find Windows Servers setup exclusively for the office plebs.

The only other time Windows Servers are legitimate was when I did game server hosting where certain games required Windows, which of course made everything worse but that's the requirement.

If you can use Linux/"Unix", why he still uses W10?

fucking wm on windows 10 LMAO

Linux is a kernel. It's not a system.

no one but rms cares