What's your favorite Animal Collective album, and why?

What's your favorite Animal Collective album, and why?
Currently listening to pic related, but my favorite of theirs is probably MPP or SJ

I like how it sounds like a children's album on acid

I can't fucking get Golden Gal out of my head...

SJ or Feels

I think AnCo is great when they're being emotionally honest...they're horrible at doing the pop thing. Painting With is a boring dud, and so were the less intimate tracks on CHz.

It's a really refreshing diversion from their already diverse discography. I've never really heard anything quite as sparse and spacey as it before.

Personal 10/10 anyways

It hits a perfect blend of noise pop and psychedelia and its overall theme has been something dug into my brain since I was twelve and leaving elementary school.

Feels. It's a happy album, which is always a plus if the music is good, and it's also the perfect midpoint where you can hear traces of early AnCo as well as sort of where they're headed. In general, I think Sung Tongs thru People is relatively underrated, not that they're at all disliked, but I think this era deserves to be recognized as when AnCo was getting everything right. They could make catchy poppy tracks and slower and weirder atmospheric tracks equally well.

>they're horrible at doing the pop thing

"Doing the pop thing" is pretty much all of their music. I get what you mean about the emotional aspect to their music, but don't act like Strawberry Jam isn't a pop album.

>It's a happy album

Not really. Did You See the Words and Grass are happy, and the Purple Bottle is kind of happy too, but during and after that it hits a serious melancholy streak. PB is almost so happy it's like it's afraid of not being happy. By the end of it, it's really uplifting, but I wouldn't use "happy" to describe the album.

All of these albums make me so happy

this is the best answer

and Banshee Beat is literally one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. Shit hits me hard

the only real melancholy tracks are banshee beat and daff duck, but even those don't make me sad, i just think they're comfy. how can you say TPB is "kind of" happy? the lyrics are al about being ecstatic and in love, and have you heard the end where he talks about having a "crush high" and then "whoo"s over and over? it's like the happiest song they have

Feels > STGSTV > SJ > ST > MPP > HCTI > CS > CHz > PW > DM

fight me i'm right

You mean before he says:
"so i go and take some pills, cuz i cant do all of my dose and still feel ill"

Not the happiest of lines

No, no, SJ is a pop music album, feels moreso, but it's not "pop". Modern adult contemporary is soulless. AnCo is not soulless, they can't do the phony act people like Drake and Rihanna pull.

So it doesn't fit into pop tradition.

Feels>STGSTV>MPP>SJ>ST>HCTI>PW>CS>CHZ>DM

Switch STGSTV and SJ and also switch MPP and ST and youre golden. Never got all the love for ST

>how can you say TPB is "kind of" happy? the lyrics are al about being ecstatic and in love, and have you heard the end where he talks about having a "crush high" and then "whoo"s over and over? it's like the happiest song they have

Exactly how I said it. The Purple Bottle is brimming with enthusiasm, but it's an uncertain and almost afraid enthusiasm. You're so happy to be in love, you're afraid about what would happen next. And what comes after TPB (and also Bees, which is the most abstract song)?

Banshee Beat, which is all about losing it. Daffy Duck is all that moping around afterward and looking back at what you once had.

Loch Raven is also way more melancholy, but ultimately resolves the pain you're feeling, and that's how Turn Into Something explodes with enthusiasm to keep going and love again.

They have many more happier songs, in my opinion.

>feels is a happy album

Are you one of those people who thinks lyrics don't matter?

Campfire Songs and HCTI a best. You forgot Hollinndagain too

stgstv is one of Sup Forums's most overrated albums

>Campfire Songs
>happy
how do you not cry on doggy senpai?

either sung tongs or here comes the indian

Painting With doesn't fit into that tradition either though. I mean I don't like it more than those albums, but it's not like they've stopped doing what they normally do.

This happens pretty much every single time they release a new album.
>MPP is so poppy! Has AC given up their roots?
>CHz is so poppy! Has AC given up their roots.

Since Sung Tongs people have been doing this.

I like STGSTV quite a bit, as well as live purple bottle. I don't really like sung tongs, feels is way overproduced, and MPP creeps me the fuck out.

Where do I go from here?

sorry, I'd put Hollinndagain above PW
i love ST's atmosphere, though whether it's better than MPP i'm not too sure. right now i enjoy it more. also i think STGSTV is definitely better than SJ. SJ has like 5 capital g Great songs (Peacebone, For Reverend Green, Fireworks, Cuckoo Cuckoo, Derek) but the entirety of STGSTV is capital g Great and Alvin Row is capital T transcendent

De Soto De Son is one of the only songs I've cried too.

>Bluuuuueeeeee heron....goodbye

That line got me really bad

stgstv
boring choice i know but i really like the twinkly and sparkly thing along with the abrasive noise it has going for it, and with the childhood theme. stuff's cathartic
feels is my second favorite mostly because of the purple bottle

>God Tier
STGSTV
HCTI
ODDSAC
>Top Tier
Sung Tongs
Feels
Hollinndagain
>Great Tier
Campfire Songs
Strawberry Jam
MPP
>Good Tier
Centipede Hz
Danse Manatee
Painting With

slightly unrelated but does anyone know what key The Purple Bottle is in? does it just change to D major for a measure then go back to E major or what

SJ sometimes
CHz the other times

Alvin Row is a fucking masterpiece, I'll give you that.

OP here. Just finished ST and now listening to Feels. I fucking love this album and I agree that it sounds so happy.

I can't read music

glad ur having a good time user

probably the fanboy and chum chum theme song

I've gotta big big big heart beat, yeah!
I think you are the sweetest thing
I wear a coat of feelings and they are loud
I've been having good days
Think we are the right age to start our own peculiar ways?
With good friendly homes

Thanks friend :)

this
pretty underrated imo

MPP=FBK
STGSTV
CHz = SJ = Feels = ST
HCTI
CS
PW
DM

Can someone help me with STGSTV? I'm an enormous anco fan, heard each album at least 100 times, love them all. Never made it through a single fucking listen of this shit. I seriously believe this album is a meme

listen to it in an abandoned warehouse at night

Once heard that AC does haven't formal training at all either

listen to it either much softer or much louder

Prospect Hummer is the best ep imo

Don't you have a frog on a unicycle to be posting?

listen to it again
maybe lower your volume
also this

If you've never made it to Alvin Row, that might be why. April and The Phanton is what got me though

Yeah, I don't believe you.

Aside from two songs and the very beginning of two others, the noise elements are understated, and its pretty sublime pop music afterward.

Like are you physically incapable of getting past the first track?

What?

This is an album for either a starry summer night or a snowy night on Christmas Eve.

What's FBK?

fall be kind

I mean Panda was in choir throughout grade school so he has that going for him.

>starry summer night
no way sir

I just feel like it's testing my patience the whole time. I've can't even do Alvin Row without zoning out or getting bored, but I can listen through all of HCTI without a problem. I just don't get it.

I lean more towards the winter interpretation, but I felt that was also a good situation. Specifically a starry summer night during your childhood with a friend, the day before he moves, where the night air is much cooler than it should be, almost freezing, but you're still both playing outside and trying to get as much childhood magic out of the night as possible before adult things tear you away.

Wow. Yeah, I don't get you.

seems kinda odd to me. The album despite being odd and noisy is still very melody and hook based and the songs aren't all that slow. You might be able to get into chocolate girl or bat you'll fly first.

true but put painting with in mediocre tier

alright I'm fucking doing it, I'm turning off the lights and figuring out this album once and for all

there you go

you're not alone, for a long time i didn't like it after the first three tracks, though now i think it's not bad. but i hear you. i still don't rate it that highly, most tracks don't resonate with me much

Have fun user, it's a journey :)

WANNA HEAR A SECRET? ( I KNOW ONE)

The beauty of this organization is you can make your own sub tiers to fit your taste.

kek

listen for the drums

I'm a drummer and love Panda Bear. Really weird and awesome to hear him on an actual kit in April and The Phantom

I think I read somewhere he used paintbrushes for the album.

objectively patrician opinion coming through
>God Tier
Sung Tongs
Hollinndagain
STGSTV
>Top Tier
MPP
Strawberry Jam
Here Comes The Indian
>Great Tier
Campfire Songs
Painting With
>Good Tier
Feels
Centipede Hz
>If this were consistently good it would be the best album of all time but as it is it really only has a couple of their best tracks ever tier
Danse Manatee

>EPs
Prospect Hummer > Keep > FBK > Water Curses > People

>Painting With better than Feels

Waste of quads.

>overrating indie rock
waste of singles :^)

Haha wow keep telling yourself that

I just assumed they were normal drum brushes. Are you sure he wasn't referring to these? I would be surprised...

>Feels
>Not God Tier or at least Top Tier

Yeah because Bees is such a normal indie rock song.

like two thirds of the album is indie rock
bees is good though

>he used paintbrushes

>Campfire Songs in the same tier as PW
It's their best album, though.

>le Feels is just indie rock
It's obviously not run of the mill indie rock. It's a bit overrated, I'd say, but it's still great

Campfire Songs has just never really grabbed me as much as most of their other stuff desu, still very well done tho
Also obviously Feels isn't just typical indie rock, it's just watered down by the indie rock elements and is severely overrated

the existence of Banshee Beat validates the praise of Feels

honestly a tie between stgstv and hollinndigain.
STGSTV because its so beautiful and emotionally diverse and hollinndigain because it takes me so much strange places (even more so than HCTI).

also OP you never explained why those were you're favorite albums

>GOD TIER
Strawberry Jam (10)
Here Comes the Indian (10)
Person Pitch (10)

>FANTASTIC TIER
Merriweather Post Pavilion (9.5)
Feels (9.5)
Fall Be Kind (9.5)
Sleep Cycle (9)

>GREAT TIER
Spirit They're Gone (8.8)
Painting With (8.5)
Water Curses (8)
Grim Reaper (8)

>GOOD TIER
Sung Tongs (7)
Tomboy (7)
Prospect Hummer (7)
Slasher Flicks (7)
ODDSAC (7)

>OKAY TIER
Centipede Hz (6.5)
Campfire Songs (6)
People (6)
Down There (6)

>EH TIER
Panda Bear (5)
Pullhair Rubeye (5)

>HE'S A PLEB BECAUSE HE DOESN'T LIKE BUTTNOISE TIER
Danse Manatee (4)

>I LIKE FOREST GOSPEL I GUESS TIER
Hollinndagain (4.5)

Fuck bitches, kid

pleb as fuck

shit list

>Campfire Songs
>6

>there are people who don't like Untitled on STGSTV

I don't get the hate for the track

OP here. I think I like those albums, along with Feels and STGSTV, because I've always loved melodies. These albums take major chord "folk" melodies and add strange elements to them. My favorite song is My Girls, partly because it is so damn catchy and never fails to make me feel happy. I also love MPP because I like electronic instrumentation on some of the songs

people don't actively hate on it, plebs just cant into noise

its a good song, but compared to the other tracks on stgstv it falls a lil flat
only a little though, still a great song, just the least great

fucking lol

spirit theyve gone is one of animal collectives best songs. same goes for april and the phantom

idk either it's a great track my favorite lyric is DWEEEEEEAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEKBPBTHTBHBBOAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i mean spirit theyve vanished. sorry im drunk

I rated it good, because that's what it is :^)
nah
excellent taste, the first two tracks are definitely the best

Spirit They've Vanished is my favorite off STGSTV
it's fucking otherworldly

>What's your favorite AC album and why?
>This is the best answer

it feels like you're floating in a fucking nebula as you get sleepy

You don't enjoy the harsh noise as it clashes with the beautiful piano?

I love it. The conjunction of the piano and the noise makes it so surreal, like a dream