/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Previous thread: What are yo working on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

sixdegreesofwikipedia.com/?source=Java&target=India
github.com/EvilPudding/candle
github.com/EvilPudding/Shift3D
qz.com/964843/less-than-5-of-india-engineers-are-cut-out-for-high-skill-programming-jobs/
youtube.com/watch?v=QiaLkbXdwB0
youtube.com/watch?v=PL1LqT3KzyY&feature=youtu.be
obsproject.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I bought a SDR and made a flight tracking website. The backend collecting and storing ADS-B data is written in Go and the frontend is written in Angular.

important question

because you're gay

Brakets begin for pseudocode python remove brackets.

LISP begin Tree expression using S expressions

What's the point of that?

That flight tracking website is not enough?

What new things does your application bring to the table?

Nothing, it is a very popular thing to do. It is a project to do something intersting (at least for me since it involves planes).

>not knowing what the word "hypothesis" means
>lying repeatedly and transparently
>giving completely unrelated responses and pretending you're refuting something
>being a highschool dropout
Is this the absolute state of the /dpt/ type theorist?

ok i think the parser is fast enough now

time for codegen

obsessed

Working on the 99 Haskell Problems.

>Haskell
You got 100 problems now

>C++
>arbitrary standards
>death
>finally an employed sepple-dev

sixdegreesofwikipedia.com/?source=Java&target=India

rate my fizzbuzzer

high quality

Writing a webapp (yeah, yeah, I know) for internal use at $dayjob. Mozilla has let their Open Badges project stagnate, and I want something like it for internally tracking how many people on our large team know what the fuck they're doing.

On a side note, after doing a couple of Flask/Django apps, coming back to Rails feels downright comfy. I forgot how much stupid boilerplate and bookkeeping I don't have to do in ruby land.

Why are the if-else blocks nested?

sounds interesting user, but probably better suited for >>/wdg/

How are you liking Angular?
I have no idea what happened after their versioning shitstorm

Reminder that Lisp is the only rational choice. Type memers BTFO.

Does anyone know verilog? What does the swuare vracket mean? Example:
>reg [7:0] a;
or
>input [7:0] a;

>provided start and end pages are redirects

kys

>over 3x as many length-3-paths
lisp btfo

>A -> B = B -> A
Is this the absolute state of the type memer?

>15/43=3

That's mostly implementations though.
A -> Logical Reasoning is better if you assume there is a large group of As (of which a small number are likely to be common implementation languages)

I'm a junior dev fresh out of college, and have been working for around half a year now. I'm just starting to realize how much more I need to learn to get to the next level.

What can I do to get better faster? I mostly work with C++ in low latency systems. Should I be listening to Cppcon talks? Are there any must read books about design, architecture, or C++?

WHY IS HTML SUCH AIDS?!

FUCKING STOP HOLY SHIT!

Not that it can only be implementations, I mean that mainstream languages used in the implementation will benefit.
For instance, try "C++" in the second field

>A -> Logical Reasoning is better
Haskell still BTFO.

dumb frogposter
go back to

Yes, and what can we tell from this graph?
There are more distinct ways (of length 3) of going from the lisp article to the logical reasoning article.

Why is

1! = 0 False?

Doesn't this mean 1 does not equal 0. Wouldn't that be True?

We can tell from the graphs that the connection between Lisp and logical reasoning is stronger than that of Haskell in both directions, therefore Lisp programmers are better at logical reasoning. ;^)

>1 != 0
>false
Make sure the designer of your language wasn't female.

what shitlang are you talking about user

>We can tell from the graphs that the connection between Lisp and logical reasoning is stronger
No

>n-n-no!!!
Sounds like denial to me. I don't see how you can recover in the face of my empirical evidence. See yourself out.

Probably because you're using = instead of ==. In some languages, (x = y) is an expression that will evaluate to y. In your case, 0, or false.

lisp weenies btfo

That's also assuming 1! is a typo and you actually wrote !1, which is 0, but that's irrelevant. Then again, I don't know what language would accept 0 = 0 as an assignment.

What is this in Bash?

> shopt -s extglob

>what is google
>what are man pages

get out

google sucks

Show off some of the syntax of your language

>try to find guides on drawing 3D levels
>can't find anything with practical code
>just theory or pseudo code

b-but i can't learn unless i see how it works

Lisp:
LGBT
Is a
Special
Privilage

C game engine. And simple game alongside it.

github.com/EvilPudding/candle
github.com/EvilPudding/Shift3D

Drawing 3D levels requires a whole heap of background knowledge of everything that goes into it, unless you want to shit something out in Unity.
Of course there are no practical examples of code.

I did not mean to quote you, sorry.

I see there's a bunch of stuff for 2D, I was hoping there was stuff for 3D.

i'll take a look, thanks!

That engine is not properly documented, I would like to add some examples, but did not have the time.

>guides on drawing 3D levels
>can't find anything specific
Try a more specific search, like "render Quake 3 BSP".

>1 seconds
>1
>seconds
into the trash

>/dpt/ thinks they're superior to Indian software engineers who have studied 12 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 years with state-of-the-art equipment at top universities
>/dpt/ doesn't realize (or is willfully ignorant of the fact that) an Indian computer science freshman will have to write a bootloader and a compiler IN THEIR FIRST SEMESTER or fail their degree
>/dpt/ considers themselves better than such engineers... and it's all because the engineers have brown skin
Inferiority-superiority complex much?

To.64909718
Incase you're not baiting four (you)s, today i will remind them.
qz.com/964843/less-than-5-of-india-engineers-are-cut-out-for-high-skill-programming-jobs/

dry pasta

That's some serious shit right there, but why so much love for 3d rendering though?

People on the thread please ignore this shill

2D is just an extension of 3D.
What exactly are you trying to do?

I always wanted my own engine, so I know how everything works and what's behind all of it. It was a great learning experience, and the more I put into it, the more I believe it could actually be used to make games.

I am also using the engine to make my masters thesis, which is about an idea I had to render wormholes and non euclidian spaces real fast. I've never shared anything about this to anyone.

A video of it running, it's a bit outdated now though.
youtube.com/watch?v=QiaLkbXdwB0

>which is about an idea I had to render wormholes and non euclidian spaces real fast.
that's pretty neat, the world needs more good space games. Or even a better and open source space engine.

I'm not really into games, but something like an OpenPortal with lots of user content and puzzles (maybe even a convenient editor anyone could handle) would be rad

Well space engine isn't even a game, but yeah, sounds nice. Good luck, lad.

Have you ever considered making software for the space industry?

C++03 : Rule of 3
C++11 : Rule of 5
C++19 : Rule of 7?

they're back to a 3 year cycle i believe.

youtube.com/watch?v=PL1LqT3KzyY&feature=youtu.be

Just did another raytrace but with a 4D extrusion of a cube instead of sphere.

I'm not btw.

The recording software made it glitchy, my bad...

Can somebody give me a really basic explanation of what Multithreading is?

I've heard rumors that it's a magical performance enhancer for programs.

obsproject.com if you aren't already using it.

Normally, instructions are executed in sequence, just like you when reading a book. Multithreading is as if you could duplicate your mind, start reading from the start, and your duplicate starts reading from the middle. You'd end it much faster.

I am, and normally it works perfect, but right now it glitched out for some reason.

Why not duplicate your mind infinitely then?

If you have infinite CPU cores, go ahead.

People make that mistake, but sometimes multi-threading something will bring worse results.

I fucking wish.

i think im good at game logic and that, i just want to play around on the three dimensional axi

I also want to view levels of games like quake 3 and ratchet and clank (provided theres a way to rip those levels from the disc) to see whats on them

A) Fuck around in Unity then, it makes this kind of thing really really easy
B) No, there's no way to "rip" those levels out in any uniform manner and explore them. Most games use custom (or hard-to-get non-commercially) engines with a lot of custom tweaks and settings, so you can't just plop Ratchet and Clank data into Source or Unity or Maya and expect it to pop up fine

In the next 5 to 10 years there will be a huge boom in the space industry so if I were you right now I would focus on thinking about something that has commercial potential rather than something that has scientific potential

My teachers want me to stay in investigation, but I'm not sure how I feel about that, where I live, that almost isn't remunerated. So I'll just continue developing my pet projects, and go to work somewhere with the possibility I won't have time for anything.

You shoudn't become an investigator at all man, obviously your teachers would want you to become a researcher, but you can do so much more to the world by using what has already been discovered, there's also the huge amount of money that is to be made to take into consideration vs researcher wage

a better analogy would be with cooking
you just need one cook to make something
having two would speed things up roughly twice
having three would too, but maybe not three times as fast
having more than six would provide no benefit or even slow things up because the kitchen is to small and coordination would require some gordon ramsay
it all depends on the kind of food you're making (on how many chiefs can the work to prepare it be divided among? Is it catering for a party or are we making just one complex cake?) and how big is the kitchen (can we scale our cooking business like mcdonalds?)

Were you the one talking about scientific investigation? If so, how am I supposed to do that if I'm not doing research?

I'm saying that you should go commercial instead of scientific, yes I'm the one that posted those:

I misread. That wormhole project was just because I had a really innovative idea, and those don't appear that often.

it's just a shitty c clone, but i wasn't going for anything interesting, i just wanted to write a compiler for a shitty c clone.
int fizzbuzz() {
int i = 0;
while(i < 100) {

if (i % 3 == 0) {
// fizz
}
if (i % 5 == 0) {
// buzz
}

i++;

}
}

Yeah but you are really good at what you do, anyway just tried to give a tip to a fellow CS or related areas student

well if you look at it, it doesn't seem to have an else-if block but rather an else block where you have to do another if statement

just use your fucking eyes

Thanks for the advice. The hard part is really getting the opportunity to work on that. If I got a job doing what you described, I would be a happy man.

In what country do you live?

Portugal, but I'm not that attached to it.

Fellow portuguese speaker, I live in Brazil. Man you have the entire EU to find a cool job, Germany, Netherlands, etc. Those countries are the best that I've found so far to find a good job as a developer in the EU