/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

witrigs.com/oem-lcd-with-digitizer-for-motorola-moto-g4-black
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-fix-issues-your-boot-records
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>CLICK THE BRIDGES
>CLICK THE BRIDGES
>CLICK THE BRIDGES
>CLICK THE BRIDGES
THEY ARE OVERPASSES GOOGLE, GET YOUR GOD DAMN BOTS WORKING PROPERLY

An overpass is a bridge, shit for brains. Kill yourself.

It is a bridge that goes over a road or railroad.
You do not call a bridge that goes over water, an overpass.
If it goes over water, it is a bridge.
If it goes over a road or railroad, it is an overpass

>It is a bridge

Which is exactly what I said, you drooling dumbfuck. Kill yourself.

Is there a way/simple program I can use to download threads with all the full sized images from the desuarchive? I'm sure ChanThreadWatch used to work but it's not anymore.

fourchandl

I dropped my heavy-ass metal water bottle on my g4 and fucked the screen up. Pic related.
the phone now retails for $120 on motorola's website
a true, non-counterfeit OEM screen assembly in good condition goes for about $60

I feel confident that I can replace the screen, and it feels really wasteful to just buy a new phone when I can swap out the screen (granted I haven't done it before), but the new screen is half the phone's value and there's no guarantee I won't fuck it up. I'm not paying some johnny-come-lately shady repair store $300 for the labor to do it themselves

what would you all do? I'm not particularly interested in a more expensive phone either so don't recommend me another phone

Whoa, Billy Graham died.

I'm building a small night vision HMD with a couple pi zeroes, but I'm hitting kind of a hurdle with the displays. All the tiny LCDs available are either UART or SPI. (I'm excluding adafruit's $45 boards with controllers included because wtf)
Are either of those going to be able to push out a 90fps 240p monochrome stream in (near) real time?
I'm aware those tiny panels probably have garbage response times but i'd still like to try refreshing as fast as possible.
My first idea for reducing bandwidth would be limiting the output to 256 levels of greyscale, but I don't know how a pi zero would handle real-time image processing and I'm not even sure that would be compressed enough.
I've also considered doing this on a microcontroller so I don't have to run an OS but I've actually never used one for video stuff.
My next project is doing the same thing but with thermal imaging. If anyone knows of cheap and decent resolution sensors I'm open to suggestions.

How do I properly mount a USB stick?
It appears if I run lsusb, but it doesnt create a folder anywhere

definitely a stupid question now but do i need 8 bit output to display 256 levels of greyscale?
cause at 240p that would still add up to 55.3Mbps

That bothers me too

either with udisksctl or in my case devmon -gus

>OP
don't save that image cuz i uploaded it in the wrong format

Is that a Moto G3? I would save some money and get a OnePlus, since it has guaranteed LineageOS support and a great hardware.

It's a g4. I actually somehow got lineage to run on it perfectly. I forgot what I did, which is another reason why I don't really want to buy a new phone since I'd have to figure out what I did again to install lineage

A proper OEM part should be easy as fuck to install. Just be careful when tearing it down and putting it back together.

Anyone knowledgeable in ICC profiles and 3DLUTS here?
Which rendering intent works best when mapping bt.709 content to a wide gamut display? Perceptual, relative colorimetric, saturation or absolute colorimetric?
For example bt.709>99% DCI-P3 display?

Check here for a cheaper part:
witrigs.com/oem-lcd-with-digitizer-for-motorola-moto-g4-black

I appreciate it, but I really do want an OEM screen. I don't want to take chances with counterfeit stuff

I've read good reviews for Witrigs in the past. I'd like to confirm this but the parts I ordered from them are held at customs for some reason.

Also they mark their aftermarket parts as "Custom" and the original ones as "OEM"

for spi the image may have to be send as individual BMPs and decoded by the display itself. So fps is gonna be shit, def not 90fps

I'm researching it and I'm seeing nothing but scam warnings and buyer bewares

I'll learn the truth myself soon enough.

HOLY SHIT IM IN THE OP PIC
>update
THATS ME

Can I have 8GB RAM in triple channel and if not, why

You unlocked the bootloader, flashed TWRP and then flashed Lineage. But if it's a G4 it'll last a bit more time, if you are lucky and it doesn't suffer from burn in.

If your platform supports it, then yes.

how do I convert this arbitrary 400 lines of c code (no classes, using malloc everywhere etc.) to cpp?

rename it from whatever.c to whatever.cpp
should work

Well, I guess it's time to give up and install Windows 10. I'm aware of OldNewExplorer/Classic Shell/other UI customization options, but are there any further options which make it feel more like Windows 7? Like getting smaller close/maximize/etc buttons, and generally making the UI more consistent? Has the issue where font looks incredibly blurry in parts of the UI been fixed yet? I remember someone saying back when 10 was first released was that Cleartype isn't supported in all parts of the UI for some reason.

yeah it still runs, but I need to change the mallocs to static, any nice way of doing that?

You can have 8GB of RAM installed on a triple channel motherboard and it'll work, but it won't be running triple channel.
> if not, why
Triple channel operation implies the memory controller sees three equal size memory banks. There are no 2 2/3 or 1 1/3 GB memory modules.

If i edit an image with gimp and upload it to Sup Forums it says it contains an embedded file. how do i fix this

why does the text in the firefox tabs have a purple hue to it? I'm using windows 7 and didn't notice this on windows 10.

Is there a way to programatically generate Anki flashcards from text files? For example if I want to make flashcards for vocabulary, and I have one text file with words, and another with their definitions, and a set of audio files with pronunciation of the words. Does Anki have some sort of bulk import function or some other way than the basic add card interface for each individual card?

Can I make my own ringtones for iPhone? I'm sick of the generic ones but adding a sound file to the tones section on iTunes just adds it to my music.

This is more of a Sup Forums question, but you can't get a serious answer there. Were there any noteworthy games that used DX10? I know people despised it by virtue of it being tied to Vista, and most games used DX9 at that timeframe, and games past the new decade used DX11.

What should I learn if I want to make web-interacting "scripts"?

For example...
press of a button, takes a screencap and sends it to my google drive.

Press of a button, goes to a page and does that and that

execute the program, makes a hidemyass mail and gives me the information in a textbox

Things like that...

>This is more of a Sup Forums question
why not ask Sup Forums?

most of Sup Forums hates Sup Forums

It's more technology oriented as I'm asking about the specific API. Sup Forums would just post a bait fish and 404 my thread while their larping about an imaginary game thread reaches bump limit.

Not him but Sup Forums in general knows shit about tech behind games.

Is it possible to use KDE without GTK packages? And Lxqt?

Is it a big problem to mix both GTK and Qt?

>single key keyboard i can bind a macro to using onboard memory
I want to assign my encryption passphrase to something easily disposable like this that still allows me convenience. Does something like this exist?

I thought i learnt the basics of C reading a couple of books.
But sincerely, it looks like a big leap from there to actually making functional windows programs: I went from codeblocks ("console") to embarcadero and i have no idea what to do with all these objects and buttons and forms and radioboxes and properties....

what am I missing? What are the concepts that I need to look up? Any good books on this next step?

Assuming I'm literally insane and have too much free time can someone point me in the direction of the tools that I would need to
>burn quality blu-rays
>print custom art onto the disks
>print cover art for standard blu-ray boxes
>edit the blu-rays so they have an actual splash screen that is custom
>so they'll run in a generic blu-ray player

What's a good hard drive enclosure?
I'm looking for a JABOD encolsure to USB
no need for fancy RAID
I have a probox one and I need another for my growing data hording disorder. The probox one is a little too expensive for me to buy again, I'm hoping for a cheaper alternative

Windows 10 LTSB is the only viable version of W10 you should be using, right? I've heard things about noticeable input lag, is it really that bad? Or is it only noticeable if you're a hardcore gaymer or something?

The input lag thing is probably due the forced bordeless windowed crap (it applies triple-buffering in every fuck thing) instead of a true fullscreen.

Oh, interesting. Guess that won't affect me at all since I only ever play games in windowed mode. Thank you.

Windowed has v-sync too

What would be a good service to let me connect to an FTP server when my ISP blocks the FTP port? Looking for a very fast and preferably free solution.

Nvm, you'll not notice like you said. But anyway, I recommend not "upgrading", LTSB is still 10 after all.

I bought a WD my passport 3tb hard drive to back shit up to, and I'm running into an issue where I can't safely removed the hardware to unplug it.

I installed USB Safely Remove, and it tells me this is what's accessing the drive preventing me from doing so. Anybody got any idea what's causing this and how to stop it? Google is giving me inconsistent info

I don't really want to either, but I'm not sure what to do. I knew installing 7 on Ryzen systems was a pain in the ass, but I'm having a really hard time with it. I prepared an Enterprise ISO and threw it on a USB drive, disabled the secure boot things and whatnot in the BIOS, but when I plugged the USB in it crashes a little after Windows initially loads the files (so it crashes when the logo animation starts). I'll try making an unattended installer but I have a feeling it'll crash at the same time.

What should I do? I just used the MSI smart tool and added the NVMe driver for preparing the USB drive, did I miss some steps?

Sup Forums x force no script captcha isn't working, send help, wat do, etc.

Where can I find a list of heart rate monitors that'll work with Apple health/nike run club on iOS?

this is a really stupid question but can share a gaming monitor for both my ps4 and computer or are gaming monitors too different from a tv?

You can share them fine. Don't blind yourself sitting too close.

ty for the quick reply

I'm in the process of setting up a bitch computer for networked storage.
Is it ideal to get an SSD for its' OS, or is it better to just buy more storage? It'll just be low-power shit for its' purpose for now.
Also, it's currently got a Core2Duo in it, since that's all I had available. It's going to be used by upwards of 5 people, so would it be fine? Or would it be better going for a quad core?

I found a heft 120mm fan on an old air hockey table and thought about using it in my case. It's only wired pos/neg so there wouldn't be any control...right? Its just of 1v@12ish wats. I'm sure I could just splice it to a 3 pin female, but sounds iffy. Thoughts? House fire is fine.

If you want it to boot fast sure, unless you are storing all the network data on it too, just go ghetto hdds

RAM is more important

I went into my package manager, searched for "gtk" "gdk" and "gnome", and marked mostly every package (that had a match in it's name, keywords, summary, or description) for deletion. How fucked would I be if I click Accept?

Whenever I mark a package for deletion in my package manager, it always gives me a warning about what other packages will be uninstalled, which ones need to be installed to satisfy any soon-to-be requirements, and which packages will have their architecture changed from x86_64 to i686.
I've always been curious how bad things would get if, instead of sifting through these messages and picking the best option available, I just selected "uninstall" on every message that pops up.
Since I recently switched to LXQt, I decided to try this out and remove as much GTK stuff as I can in favor of Qt.

The only thing that I foresee as being a problem is that Openbox (the window manager LXQt relies on) is set to be deleted.
Other than that, I already have replacements for the most significant packages (for my everyday use case) that I'm uninstalling and that don't rely on anything that's being uninstalled.

I don't mind using a TTY to un-fuck this potential shitfest; but if someone can let me know how bad it would be and save me the hassle of finding out, then by all means, please do.

Is there a website that lets me rip the audio from youtube videos that isn't a botnet?

Recently switched to qBittorrent after all the drama about uTorrent being banned from a bunch of trackers, but I noticed that whenever I start up the program t displays a "download complete" notification for all of my seeding torrents. This is like 600 notifications every time I launch the program, is there any way to change this?

Yeah, not too bothered about boot times at all. Mostly will always be on.
It's got 4GB RAM, since that's all I've currently got available. Wasn't too keen on buying too much more than that, since I was under the assumption that Windows XP (it's current OS) needs nowhere near that, and Windows 7 (considering installing that) "recommends" 2GB for 64Bit.
Still unsure of that. It'll be used as a Plex server, and other such networked file storage.
Any suggestions would be welcome, since I'm a retard at this.

youtube-dl
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
$ youtube-dl [URL] --extract-audio --audio-quality 0

Is there any resource for oracle db sql optimization that is easy to understand? All those hints and explain plan just goes over my head.

Find and replace in your ide of choice

APIs my friend

What is a street sign really?
Google seem to think any sign is a street sign.

JavaScript

I'm getting this error when trying to access my FreeNAS 11 SMB share on my Win10 system, but not on either of the 2012 R2 servers I also have running.

I can't seem to find shit for this error that's actually helpful or applicable to my version of FreeNAS, can anyone help my dumb ass?

Is there a way to find out what a .onion URL contains without going to the website?

Is there a way to load the entire tails OS into ram?
Seems more secure

Can someone post the "2b? More like 2cutefeet" loli animegirl? It got spammed hard here last year

Did something happen? or is it only for me?

My father is having some trouble with windows 10 in that the network icon when left clicked doesn't bring up the list of available connections so he essentially can't connect to the internet if it drops out, any idea why it won't display?

picrelated

stop giving bad advice
there's no need to re-encode

previous answer but with this flag (unless you want a shitty mp3 or smth)
-xfbestaudio

yes
no

What prevents a VPS host to not log my traffic? I might be brainlet but doesn't the encryption stop at the VPS so they can see my packets? My VPN client encrypts and VPS one decrypts, right? Also why would I pay for one VPS server in one location, even tho with a little more I can buy VPN and get hundreds of servers in multiple locations, thus minimizing my ping? I know VPS has more uses but people seem to recommend them as VPN's too..

I don't into VPN's at all, but my understanding is nothing prevents it, you just have to trust the VPN to not do it.

I know, I worded my question wrong tho, I meant that those things considered, why would anyone recommend VPS with openVPN over VPN service?

Is there any way to make irfanview zoom with the scroll wheel?

I'm having an issue with my uncle's laptop. I tried to set up a new admin account, but when I try to log on, it freezes up. The welcome takes forever, and when I get past it and then the little brief info thing-y, it just gets stuck on a black screen and never progresses. It's now logging on this new account automatically. Is there anyway I can log back onto the old one because I don't know how I can possibly fix this? It definitely seems like it's an issue caused by the creation of this new account.

How can free will exist if thought is nothing more than the product of many chemical reactions which each have perfectly predictable and predetermined outcomes?

Is there a way to optimize PDFs for smart phones?
Like text reflow? or something?

What should I be wary of when using a public wifi like for example, in a university campus or building? Would I be better off not connecting to any public wifi at all?

If an external hard drive refuses to recognize after unplug/plug it back in a few times and restart the computer twice it's probably dead? Or could it come back to life in a few days if I leave it alone?

I'd just assume someone in there is trying to snoop anything you do, and try to avoid accessing anything too sensitive. In theory SSL/TLS should prevent this, but I still feel like I'm tempting fate too much accessing stuff like bank accounts from a public network, always the possibility of a man in the middle attack or something.

Needing help. I deleted the Linux partition from my hard drive and accidentally killed Grub with it, and now I can't boot into Windows. How can I fix this?

There are various tools that can restore or remake your bootloader. Just make a bootable USB or something and then figure out what tool is best for your operating system of choice to do this. I've done it on Windows before with some command line shit included in their recovery mode, but I can't remember the specific commands I used.

Oh, I think this was it, the bootrec thing

digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-fix-issues-your-boot-records

And uh... How do I go about this if I can't get back into Windows to get the recovery disk? I'm just stuck in grub recovery limbo.

Grub rescue limbo*

need to make a reverse descent parser in java, any resources online?

I just kind of assumed you had another system lying around to make a bootable USB... I dunno, there's probably similar commands in grub recovery somehow if you have no other options, just no idea what they'd be

I do have another system, but it isn't Windows. Would grabbing a LiveCD work?

Does the Windows Media Creation Tool not work in Linux? Kind of assumed Microsoft would be happy to let people switch easily. But yeah any LiveCD if it includes a windows recovery environment should have the proper tool I think