What's your favorite contemporary prog band?

What's your favorite contemporary prog band?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/Gallifrey/r5.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Gods themselves.

listening to haken for my first time with affinity

Do you have an affinity for Affinity?

maybe some moments

I just got done with the death metal vocal style part which didnt go down particularly well but overall I'd say I'm looking forward to getting this in rotation.

Can we all agree that progressive rock is good and metal is good but progressive metal usually just sounds like shit? It either sounds like edgy progressive rock or pretentious metal wankery with embarrassing vocals.

Man I've been getting into these guys so hard the last few months. Foe is my new favorite track maybe. Einar is godly on it.

seeenttiiiiiiMEEEEENNNtallll

nobody talks about them :(

who /messenger/ right now?

terrible

terrible

terrible

modern prog shouldn't exist

Tame Impala

It could be worse m8

kys GENTLY, my man.

It's between TMV and Porcupine Tree. Frances the Mute and Signify are 10/10 albums

Those albums aren't particularly well-known outside of the modern prog scene, it's weird that you've listened to so much music in a genre you hate. Unless, of course, you haven't actually listened to them

I'm friends with a person that listen to this kind of music and he wont shut up about pure reason revolution and karni-fucking-vool

Leprous is the first progmetal band in a good long while to consistently make me excited for the genre

Haken's pretty solid too

I get an annoying person can ruin your opinion of some albums :/
but what do YOU think of those albums

Well, Karnivool is understandable since they're a tool rip-off and are really more alt-rock than prog, but assuming all modern prog is that way is a terrible way to go about things. Gazpacho is an incredible band.

>Karnivool is understandable since they're a tool rip-off and are really more alt-rock than prog
this could apply to gazpacho if you replaced tool with radiohead and the steve marillion albums

shitposting hard style

he hasn't listened to them

If you say any answer that isn't Leprous you're wrong.

>gazpacho
>sounding even remotely similar to marillion
b i g me me

I'm legitimately convinced you're a member of Gazpacho undercover. Why else would you constantly jack off to such mediocrity? Like don't get me wrong they're a decent band but before you showed up I had literally never heard of anyone in the history of existence call them anything above decent. Best modern prog band? They aren't even in the fucking top 100?

Sorry for the rant but I genuinely just don't understand why you constantly shill such a mediocre band.

Gazpacho sound fuckloads like Hogarth era Marillion man

So I assume you've only heard the Fish albums

I'm not

I have

because hes a shittaste having trip

trips love to be associated with one single band

They are easily in the top 100 modern prog bands.

That's not really a complement. You thought it was, but it isn't. :(

its called shilling my favorite band that nobody has heard of. nobody gives a shit if you like them

Does Steven Wilson's solo career count? Besides him I would list Big Big Train and Yuka & Chronoship as other favorites.

>Big Big Train

>Does Steven Wilson's solo career count?
I'd assume so.

4.5 > HCE

i really like this edit. saved

its done post-ironically so save it friend

i have no memory of saving the original picture desu

Agreed actually. Besides 3 Years Older, Home Invasion, and Regret #9, nothing on HCE has really stood out to me after a couple listens, whereas 4/2 has Book of Regrets, Happiness III, Vemillioncore, and the new version of Don't Hate Me that blow those out of the water.
Raven That Refused to Sing is probably the GOAT of modern Prog though.

At a push, yeah. Most of their albums are decent and they have a couple of good tracks. But before you and other you showed up no one rated them. You've single-handedly turned them from a meh band into one of the most overrated bands of modern prog.

>nobody has heard of
A LOT of people have heard of them. Tons, in fact. The reason they don't get discussed has fucking nothing to do with how well known they are, and everything to do with the fact that they are just simply so nondescript that no one ever chooses to discuss them.

My Book of Regrets is possibly Wilson's worst ever song post-In Absentia.

I don't see how anyone could even like 4.5, much less think its better than HCE. It literally sounds like leftover songs that weren't good enough for HCE. Book of Regrets has nothing on 3 Years Older.
You give far too much credit to 2 tripfags with zero power in or outside of this website.

would i like gazpacho if i like radiohead

I'm not saying you've changed the global perspective of the band, you've just changed mine. The rest of the world still thinks they're ultimately forgettable. They're on the same page as Anekdoten in the prog world - pretty much everyone has heard of them, yet they never seem to get brought up in recommendations or discussion, because they're so vanilla.

I just legitimately don't understand what you find so incredible about them, that's all. And you still haven't explained it to me, so I'm still going to say that you're a fuckwit.

(ps, I refuse to believe there are two of you. No fucking way can two different people be this delusional about the same topic)

Ever heard of After the Burial or Northlane, faggots?

They have the same whiny melancholy as a lot of Radiohead's material but nowhere near the compositional quality. It's bland without being captivating (for most of the time). Some great moments though.

There are 5 or 6 bands that do the same style much better IMO, check them out first.

>After the Burial
are you 14?

@64914095
Terrible bait, doesn't even deserve a (You).

>Anekdoten
people love that band and they always get talked about when king crimson-like bands get brought up

name them? im assuming amplifier are in there (shti band btw)

maybe
Do you like violin/accordian? They don't have very much in the way of electronic music. Its mostly rooted in folk and marillian-style prog with some doomish guitar backing at times.
I respect your opinion ; )
List them t b h

guys... I have a problem

I really like coheed dance gavin dance and fall of troy it makes me feel like I'm not a man

You all like them, right?

No, actually bandwagoning Gojira with other Sup Forums kids makes you 14.

What?

>name them? im assuming amplifier are in there (shti band btw)
Nah amplifier are on the same page as Gazpacho but weaker IMO

T (particularly the latest, Fragmetropy)
Mice on Stilts
Hogarth-era Marillion
Messenger (debut especially, new one not so much, it's a bit different)
The latest Crippled Black Phoenix record to a certain extent
Dream the Electric Sleep (at a push, they're definitely more energetic

All have that kinda dreary atmosphere with focus on mood, but all have better composition and dynamics than Gazpacho.

>Dream the Electric Sleep
FUCK OFF GALLIFREY

?

They were pretty much unanimously considered one of the 2014 prog AOTY contenders by pretty much everyone here, as well as on RYM and ProgArchives. Hardly a band that only I post about.

lmao so it is actually you

>Hardly a band that only I post about.
Slipped up there Gallifrey

I have yet to hear anything great from Amplifier. The albums are listenable but they do nothing for me.

>Mice on Stilts
I own An Ocean Held me.
Extremely generic. They're Seafood tier.

Airbag would have been a good choice to say instead of them. It would have lent you some shred of credibility.

>Messenger
They're doing great and I'm very excited to see where they go from here. I would rate Threnodies over Bravo and Tick Tock but overall they don't compare.
Their first album has good folk shit but its really tryhard and far spread. They needed to focus and find their own sound. With Threnodies they dropped pretty much all of the folk sounds in exchange for psyche/hard rock sounds. I prefer Threnodies but they still need a lot of work.

>Crippled Black Phoenix and Dream the Electric Sleep
Both extremely tryhard and in dire need of finding their own sound. They have their moments but they're almost like medleys of other prog acts instead of their own entities.

Of course it is, who else could drop such elite bombs of truth on unsuspecting proge bogans? I fucking MADE this poomunity, and I can return to it to rain shit and fury over its pitiful existence whenever I please.

>Dream the Electric Sleep
But they sound like Muse

>Extremely generic. They're Seafood tier.
Opinion forever discarded. They're literally everything Gazpacho wish they could be and more. For the record, the new one's better.

>Crippled Black Phoenix are in dire need of finding their own sound
Holy shit, way to out yourself as a massive freshcunt shit, CBP not only have an incredibly distinctive sound, but they have MULTIPLE. Their debut is one of the best post-rock albums of the 2000's, and utilises folk elements in post-rock in a manner that no other band have since, and then I, Vigilante exists as a record that perfectly bridges modern prog with Godspeed-style post-rock. Two of the most unique albums of post-rock in the 21st century. If you think a band that has existed for over a decade and has multiple cult classic records in different needs to "find their own sound" then you have done nothing but expose yourself as someone who hasn't listened to their entire discography, or maybe just someone who is a raging freshcunt to music and has absolutely no fucking clue what is unique and what isn't.

PS I was going to mention Airbag. They're shit. Same page as Amplifier. It's so blase it's almost offensive. Their new record changes nothing, too.

We know that's you Gallifrey

They do, it's the side of their sound that I was referring to when I said "energetic". Definitely not like for like with regards to the mopey prog scene.

Horrible opinions all around t b h.

I don't even like Airbag but they don't have an album in their discography as bad as Mice on Stilts work.

You need to listen to more postrock and modern prog if you think either of those are unique in any way.

Thanks for noticing, freshcunt. Nice quads.

Don't worry it's just Gallifrey having one of his rants

go away gallifrey you listen to muse

wew lad rateyourmusic.com/collection/Gallifrey/r5.0

>You need to listen to more postrock and modern prog if you think either of those are unique in any way.
Mate have you heard the new Airbag album? Well have you? Oh no, you fucking haven't, because it isn't out yet.

Hmm, then what's it doing in my iTunes library? Well, surely it can't be because I've listened to a fuckload more prog and post-rock than you, know a fuckload more about prog and post-rock than you, and have demonstrated this enough through my writing to earn the right to fucking hear it before you. And guess what? It's just as boring as their last record. Maybe they could take influence from Mice on Stilts and include some drone, or some jazz. Or maybe a viola to add some timbral diversity. A choir? Some folk guitar? Some Swans influence? Maybe even shake up their structuring by diverting from verse/chorus structure through means of disconnected bridge motifs or ambient breaks? Hell, maybe even just include a piano, would that do it?

Oh no wait, all of that is BAD! Haha, wow. Doing new and interesting things with timbres and structures? Get the fuck out, that isn't prog. None of those additional influences are good, I like my prog to be basic, guitar-led, repetitive, singular in terms of its emotion and absolutely uninteresting, just like my sex life.

I'm done with this poomunity, you freshcunts don't deserve my presence. Enjoy your canned soup and your djent spam.

>Sup Forumscore memeshit and anathema
I'm dying.

is this a joke lmao

Agreed for the most part. Most prog metal is just so sterile sounding and not really too innovative at all. For example like Haken, Opeth and Leprous, but they are not really pushing the envelope of rock music or anything.

I feel that the prog of today compared to the prog of the 70's is more similar in sound than in ethic.

>Opeth
>Anathema
>NMH
>Alcest
>Prog Metal Era Porcupine Tree
O A M I L A F F I N

Which early Porcupine Tree is your favorite, senpai?

BASED DANIEL

Sup Forums literally on suicide watch right now

UtD>S>tSMS>otSoL

Anything he said was torn away by having this as his 5s

Dude calm fucking down all of these bands are as bad as each other

Holy fuck Sup Forums on suicide watch. Gallifrey dropping elite truth bombs absolutely annihilating wey (more like gey tttt (to tell the truth)). Can this poomunity possibly recover?

Sky Moves Sideways (Transmission IV would also be here if we counted EPs, Moonloops Unedited 40 minute version is GOAT) > Up the Downstair > Signify > Stupid Dream

Haven't listened to enough of Sunday of Life or Lightbulb Sun to give a concrete opinion on them yet. Coma Divine is a pretty GOAT live album too.

He'll be alright.
Downstair barely edges out above the other 3 for me.
Downstair and Stupid Dream are in my top 5 period.

Coma Divine is pretty high up there too.

Holy fuck, annihilated.

poster count didnt go up

It just really sucks because while PT's lyrics weren't exactly groundbreaking before, Wilson fell for the prog metal meme and while his instrumentation was still somewhat alright but lacking compared to PT's earlier releases, the lyrics went straight to cringe.

Also despite Stupid Dream coming last in my rankings I still love it, Piano Lessons and Don't Hate Me are some of Porcupine Tree's best songs.

>djent spam.
I love bedroom djent so much

ELITE BOMBS OF TRUTH
L
I
T
E

T
R
U
T
H

B
O
M
B
S

poster count didnt go up

He said some things recently that make me think hes going back in that metal direction with the next release.

I would love for him to get back into the ambient psyche prog. Its an relatively untouched market. I have to hit up freakfolk for those sounds now.

but the early PT albums are even worse than the metal ones

Theres that shitposting again.

Mate have you heard the new Airbag album? Well have you? Oh no, you fucking haven't, because it isn't out yet.

Hmm, then what's it doing in my iTunes library? Well, surely it can't be because I've listened to a fuckload more prog and post-rock than you, know a fuckload more about prog and post-rock than you, and have demonstrated this enough through my writing to earn the right to fucking hear it before you. And guess what? It's just as boring as their last record. Maybe they could take influence from Mice on Stilts and include some drone, or some jazz. Or maybe a viola to add some timbral diversity. A choir? Some folk guitar? Some Swans influence? Maybe even shake up their structuring by diverting from verse/chorus structure through means of disconnected bridge motifs or ambient breaks? Hell, maybe even just include a piano, would that do it?

Oh no wait, all of that is BAD! Haha, wow. Doing new and interesting things with timbres and structures? Get the fuck out, that isn't prog. None of those additional influences are good, I like my prog to be basic, guitar-led, repetitive, singular in terms of its emotion and absolutely uninteresting, just like my sex life.

I'm done with this poomunity, you freshcunts don't deserve my presence. Enjoy your canned soup and your djent spam.

Last I read though didn't Wilson say that he "had said all he needed to say" with prog metal or some shit?

Also I gave Hand. Cannot. Erase. another listen. I dont know why i'm so bipolar with this album since I always like it when I listen to it then get really lukewarm towards it when i'm not, that aside though Book of Regrets really does sound like a proto-3 Years Older.

I was thinking that he said he said something along the lines of "prog metal has gotten stale" and that he had new ideas for it when he decides to return.

I love me some HCE.

I dunno about you guys but I'm waiting for Wilson to get super depressed again and make Insurgentes part II

Doubt it'll happen though. Still can't believe that isn't universally considered one of his top few albums. It's one of the most potent depression albums I've ever heard.

I don't have a large knowledge about prog.
Don't judge me.

I've got the first Black Mages album on CD, Uematsu was great at translating his work to a more synth-driven prog metal sound.

Get fucking blown back lmao

>you and other you
kek
what can i say, shill magic works baby
im just trying to get them some recognition
w e w
clyp one of later songs on it

also