Be isp fag

>be isp fag
>yesterday i accidentally killed phone service to an entire city district
>district is filled with hotels and touristy spots which rely on their phone service
>this happened in the middle of their lunch rush and it took us 2.5 hours to restore phone service
>today
>accidentally took down an entire city's MPLS services after i created a broadcast storm on our network
>this took us 5 hours to fix
oops.
Should I just take the rest of the week off?
tell me, Sup Forums, is this a resume generating week or can I survive this?

Do the people in charge of you know it was your fault?

Wow you SUCK

>accidentally
How the fuck can you have so many "accidents"

Yeah.

Take an eternity off. You have failed at life, you suck. No one likes you. Everyone talks behind your back. Your existence is met with contempt.

Have they said anything to you about it yet?

That's mean.

what the heck are you doing user

probably the guy everyone hates. on the bright side he will get excellent references when other employers call because everyone wants to get rid of him

How? Just..how? Why the broadcast storm?
How useful are you to your superior, in general?

user u can hug me and ill promise you everything will be k

OP should be taught that he should get some friend IRL to talk about this.

>yesterday
>decommissioning an old device
>all the customers are already migrated off of it, so we decide to do it in the middle of the day
>wipe the configs and shut the device down
>tech i'm working with says the device is still online
>oh that's odd.
>put my glasses on
>instantly realize i fucking deleted the configs and shut down an active device that was in production
>the device i killed was in the middle of fucking nowhere.
>our nearest technician was around an hour away
>tech drives all the way out there and realizes he forgot to grab the key so he can get into the building.
>had to get another tech out there with the key
>once they get into the building it was just a matter of turning the device back on and restoring from the backup configs
>today
>one of our customers recently added a new MPLS site so I had to configure it
>this customer had a really odd, non-standard delivery requirement
>did some test configs in a lab that seemed to work
>apply them to our production environment
>monitor everything for a bit
>nothing goes wrong
>assume everything is a okay
>my configs were actually super fucking incestuous and created a massive loop
>it's an mpls network so the ttl counter never goes down
>traffic keeps spinning around in the network until an entire city is unable to use our MPLS services
>four hours later
>get a frantic phone from a co-worker saying MPLS services to an entire city's MPLS services are down
>the loop is so bad it's causing instability in our IBGP network
>notice the problem started around 20 minutes after I made my configs
>decide to undo my configs to see what would happen
>routing loop stops, everything comes back online

>How useful are you to your superior, in general?
I think I'm pretty useful. We use some pretty obscure equipment in the ISP world and my knowledge base is pretty good. I'm also one of the few people who actually went out of their way to get relevant certifications in the equipment we use.
I think I'm more worried about the first outage I caused this week. Even when I was a lowly junior I had a history of accidentally causing service outages because I wasn't wearing my glasses.
Of course back then my ability to cause damage was a lot more limited, usually to just single customers.
Nope, which is strange. I thought for sure I would hear something about that first outage today, but my supervisor and manager did not mention anything.

Let's have a commit a double suicide user.
I'm tired, so fucking tired of this endless mockery and repetition. Let us end this charade together.

Did they figure out the MPLS one was your fault?

Lol, if don't already know I'm sure they will.
All changes are logged.

>my supervisor and manager did not mention anything
You're fine then. Don't worry about it.

Sounds like an average week for someone who has a technical position.
Take the rest of the week off to cool down and get out of your head, go see some movies and chill.
When you get back in on Monday just be careful, everyone fucks up but it’s not like you did permanent damage, 2 big temporary fuck ups isn’t serious

Stop trying to drag other people with you and just kill yourself already.

If they haven't said anything, keep at it. They'd fire you immediately if they were going to fire you.

Isn't the whole thing soppose to be more or less automated? You probably went out of your way to show autism and break it

>Sounds like an average week for someone who has a technical position.
Desu, if it was an average week I would have gotten fired a long time ago.
The last bad week I had was in late October.

I'm too scared to do this alone and people around me are too happy-go-lucky to understand it.
There is no harm in trying though. If my offer isn't welcome, i'll just move on.

Relax, your job can be tough and not everyone can do it. Even if you do get fired, you'll always be able to get another job if someone needs your expertise.

>it's an mpls network so the ttl counter never goes down

Wrong user, wrong.

Please tell me you are not one of those companies doing some kind of bridging on their core network, please user.

>I'm too scared to do this
It sounds like you don't actually want to kill yourself that badly. If you're going to do something important like killing yourself, you need to put all of your heart behind it.

No?
Most ISP work is done by hand.
Some people I work with like to use templates, but I configure each command manually

Alright not an average week but average bad week, keep it to twice a year and you’re fine

Have you tried it?
It's easy to fantasize about it, rationalize it, even crave it.
To actually go out and do it is another story. I think a medication can help to temporarily shut self preservation mechanisms down, but my last attempt ended miserably.

Sorry, I've worked my entire career in an ISP environment, so I forgot MPLS is supposed to decrement the TTL timer each LSP hop.
ISPs do not want customers to have visibility into our internal networks so we always disable TTL propagation.

Wish you all the best user, and success in your suicidal efforts to improve the world.

Thanks.

If anyone is interested, reply to one if my posts, we'll find a way to continue our communication elsewhere.

>>this took us 5 hours to fix
your limit of downtime per year was probably about 15 minutes

sorry bro

Even if you do that the TTL is reset to 255 but still being decremented. But it doesn’t matter at all. If you have L3 loop that is bad for the particular service but won’t impact your network at all as the traffic doesn’t get multiplied and the routers don’t get their control plane affected in any way.
The L2 loop is the destructive one as the traffic gets multiplied by flooding it on every port and also all devices participating keep updating their tables keeping the CPU on 100% at all times which further affects the control plane. And this is only on the Ethernet level doesn’t have anything to do with IP\MPLS.

I cringe every time I see providers doing some kind of bridging on their core network and god forbid - running STP.

Shit I heard about that one.

id try to help u and hug u but im not good with suicidal ppl :(

Australia or Singapore?

>MPLS network doesn't have any measures against broadcast storm

Looks like someone failed before you

honestly not very hard to fuck up something if you work for a large ISP and aren't exactly sure how everything is setup/routed. entering a simple config in X spot can fuck up lots of stuff in Y and Z. I also work for an ISP but we have "tiers" of network engineers. the highest ones (4s) know the ins and outs of it all and do the higher-level work, just in case something fucks up, they know how to quickly fix it. this is going all the way from a simple router/switch to the higher-level optical transport where you need to know how to balance light waves, optical thresholds, calculating proper optical loss and gain, etc.

don't feel bad OP. it's all fixable.

Wait, why the fuck was I even talking about TTL?
This particular event happened on our VPLS network, not MPLS
Fuck, I need some sleep.
I lost a shit load of sleep two nights ago because of an undeground fiber cable cut.

>believing post number 1313

Bad idea user

>this is going all the way from a simple router/switch to the higher-level optical transport where you need to know how to balance light waves, optical thresholds, calculating proper optical loss and gain, etc.
That set up would make things a lot more streamlined,
Where I work we have like 6 different admin/engineering teams, and each one specializes in one particular area.
When something like a fiber cut happens it's a complete cluster fuck. We end up on massive conference calls where there are like 10 people from 6 different teams, and each team only has a partial view of the overall picture

Maybe I should take tomorrow off before I make any other mistakes

me too?

Dude wear your fucking glasses holy shit.

Just install Adobe flash OP.

Sounds very inneficient, as an automation student I'll make my lifes goal to destroy your job

>Doing a production change in the middle of the day
>Without 4 eyes
I'm surprised you kept your job after the first fuck up, holy shit you suck balls

What kind of backwards ISP do you work at?
Why don't you have all your configurations backed up and ready to be uploaded at a moments notice eh?

Tfw month without wired internet. Fucking isp niggers
Splice the fucking cable REEEEEE

you and your output is not very important

Don't worry they won't sink you because they bear responsibility too so they don't want to bring more attention to the outages. Though try not to fuck up too much often. Fucking up is especially risky when you do something from your own accord, when you wasn't assigned a task or approval to do so. This may get you fired immediately though, it's not likely for them to take a lot of time on decision.

Everyone has days like that, I remember a day at work where I was having trouble with a server stuck on full load

>couldn't get it to respond so fuck it, just pulled the plug on it
>realise that the dodgy server was still on
>"oh shit" what did I pull the plug on
>was one of our virtualisation environments
>rack sever I actually wanted to pull the plug on was half the length of the others so from behind I could even see it until I bent down
>as I kneel down to pull the plug on that after plugging the other back in lean on a cable I didn't see which pops out and kills another server
>JUST
>plug everything back in and act like nothing happened

Yeah that wasn't a great day, no-one noticed though.

>so we decide to do it in the middle of the day
Who decided that exactly? This might be your way out.

>didn't wear my glasses is
Where the fuck do you work? Carry On Network?

>routing loop stops, everything comes back online
well user, there you saved the day. Until people realize you stopped very bad virus and fixed it.

fuck off underage phoneposter

Write an email to [email protected]
I might be interested.

prepare your resume

Yet another instance of telecom engineers being incompetent inbred fucks.

t. seething physicist

Since this is somewhat network related

I am a neet that has hasn't worked in about six months. I have been studying to get a ccna the whole time and I plan on taking the ccna in about two weeks. If I pass it how do I get a job with it or is it completely useless and should I just go find a job at mc cuckolds?

Oh, despite studying real hard and labbing every day I am using a braindump as a review test just to ensure i pass it. Yes I know I should use it but being a neet I don't really have the money to throw around on a 300 dollar test and fail it multiple times.

start applying for new jobs

or you could work towards having no bad weeks

>sever monitoring reports HDD died on a clients SBS box (i work in SMB IT)
>drive over monday afternoon with new drive as they live in my home town
>hot swap the drive, flirt with the admin girl and fuck off home feeling accomplished
>tuesday morning no one can log on
>get remotely connected, loads of windows services failing
>look at HP insights - one good drive, one dead drive and one rebuilding
>realism my mistake
>swap drive again, engage the pajeets to fix windows as per contract, client leaves us anyway

>another client, dead tape drive
>take drive over to some hardware company that refurbish drives
>drive DOA, boss anxious to get a new one in and avoid doing any work himself
>his mistake
>grab both new and dead drives and race over to site as i am trying to get off work as i have a flight 2am next morning
>slam tape drive in, check it appears in dev manager and fuck off
>8pm
>boss calls my personal phone spitting blood because ive refitted the broken drive and chucked the brand new one in my car
>blamed the refurbishment company and go on holiday

still employed.