/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux relatedREAD THE STICKY →

SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

convert2mp3.net/en/
github.com/rkh/income-tax
github.com/scottenriquez/isp-complainer)
damprid.com
nodejs.org/en/download/
bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-intel-optane-memory-epic-silver/6155310.p?skuId=6155310
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>run crystaldiskmark on a virtual machine out of interest
>get results with read speeds all over 4000-7000 mb/s even on slow-ass 5400rpm drive
>load average on host is 50-70 despite vm not using the cpu
can someone explain to a retard what it is doing, is it caching or what the hell happens that i get such high read speeds and why my load average is massive?
the host is plain headless debian with QEMU/KVM

Why is it called a pull request when you're requesting to push code to a repository?

you are creating a sitution where everyone has to "pull it". that button is imliticy called "create a pull request"

How bad is a dead CMOS battery really?
The only thing I'm noticing is that I have to enter the BIOS setup every time I boot up, save&exit the defaults and then just change the time and date once everything loads up.
Sure a bit of a hassle, but it's only a few seconds and only done once per day so I don't really care.
Is there any danger using a PC like this or should I replace the battery in the next few months or ASAP?

I need to watch to a movie which was released 5 days ago. I'm totally desperate. Is there any place where i can find TS or CAM movie releases?

its a request for the repository committer to pull down your changes and merge them with the repository.

How can WiFi go through walls?

How can light go through windows?

What LockScreen apps don't suck fucking dick? ZUI looked promising until I relieaized its a Chinese controlled battery draining botnet

You're requesting the repository to pull your changes

Stock because that's all you need

Does syncthing use bandwith if i'm syncing between two devices on the same network?

Is it bad to write to a fragmented drive similar to how reading from one is bad?

Is there any reason why you couldn't fuck with your bandwidth say to increase your upload rate at the cost of less download rates for a couple of hours if you feel like uploading big files? Too hard to implement from the client's side? Too expensive of a feature for ISPs?

In the USA, with comcast at least, they specifically throttle your upload rates unless you buy business class internet. Even if you have the upload speed to host a server or something they will warn you via your browser not to run a server or they'll shut off your service.

t. Tried to run a minecraft server for my friends using 90 down 12 up internet and got warned for it. Meanwhile they don't seem to give a fuck that I torrent tons of anime.

Can time heat up?

As in from your ISP's transfer cap? No.

Depends on a lot of things. The "problem" of fragmentation is overrated desu.

It can't. Bounces around.

Name? Check if it has been pre'd.

I haven't listened to anything my professor has said the whole lesson. How do I learn MARS MIPS and whats the point of it.

Abou the movie: Annihilation (2018) by Alex Garland

reposting

Stock Samsung is trash

How shit is Iridium?

Do Facebook and Messenger Lite actually make a difference on Android? I only have 4GB of internal storage and messenger itself is taking up 400mb of Data and 200mb with the APK

Is there any way I could replicate the transcoding from this convert2mp3.net/en/ in HandBrake? I'm ripping a 480p 22 minute episode from DVD and I don't want it to be 800MB. I've converted/downloaded 22 minute 480p videos from that site that are 90-130MB and they look just fine.

the fuck is a brick-and-mortar computer store

How exactly do I run this? Tried the usage example in the interactive ruby shell without luck.

github.com/rkh/income-tax

second hand weeb shit

~ gem install income-tax
Fetching: income-tax-0.3.2.gem (100%)
Successfully installed income-tax-0.3.2
Parsing documentation for income-tax-0.3.2
Installing ri documentation for income-tax-0.3.2
Done installing documentation for income-tax after 1 seconds
1 gem installed
~ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'income_tax'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> tax_info = IncomeTax.new("Estonia", "4k/mo")
=> #
irb(main):003:0>

Damn, user. Thanks!!

How may I repay you?

What is happening and what did you do/try?
Sounds like faulty windows install.

show boipucci

I'm unshaven and not even attractive...

should i buy a windows 10 key off of ebay? i’m sure major discounts like that involve criminal activity and/or some form of identity theft

Might as well activate it with ms toolkit.

Most of them are actually just violating microsoft's terms and conditions - nothing more.

They sell keys which are not meant to be sold to end-users, but for example in development settings.

there is /r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ which is a trustworthy place.

What's the best system utilities live cd?
right now i'm just used gparted on it's own and i just found out there are things like rip linux (recovery is possible linux), all-in-one system utilities, system rescue cd and parted magic

if you're going to break the law you might as well do it right, use microsoft toolkit or kmspico. both free, just make sure you get it from the legit site.

I posted this towards the end of the last thread. Does anyone know where I can get historic Alexa crawldata? It's on the Internet Archive but they've marked it as "not publicly available"

What's this earphone slot that's on my TV?
I tried plugging some earphones in it obviously, but the sound still came out the TV. "Earphone Coax" doesn't bear any relevant search results either.

it’s very suspicious to see copypasta item descriptions and feedback, especially when the seller doesn’t know proper english

reddit is $40 - which is more believable - but almost defeats the purpose when you’re poor

Nevermind I'm retarded, turns out I tried the one pair of headphones that don't work with it for some reason. And the Coax connector is the orange one on the right.

So I purchased some chick shit, after 60 days of not receiving it I messaged the seller and he gave me a refund. 2 days later I got the stuff in the mail....
Do I have a legal obligation to refund the refund? Is this considered some kind of fraud?

How do I get rid of a browser redirecter/hijacker that malwarebytes, junkwarerremovaltool and adwarecleaner cant detect?

malwarebytes only ever stops it before it attemps to hijack, but it cant sniff out the root cause

should i switch over to firefox? would the hijacker follow me there?

the websites are doko.moe and inclk

install gentoo

So about last week I came here for help on how to stick it to my shitty ISP because during the evenings of most days, specifically times around 6PM through 2AM at the latest is when I would suffer from very unstable connections and general lag and other nonsense. I don't have any other choice of ISPs so I have to deal with them, or I'd have to use satellite for my internet (which I will never do again)

Someone posted the ISP Complainer (github.com/scottenriquez/isp-complainer) for me, but I shortly realized, I'm a literal brainlet when it comes to setting something like this up, and I read through it many times and I still don't have the slightest clue as to how. Could anyone hold my hand for this?

would uninstalling chrome take care of the problem?

can you guys give me the skinny on external harddrives? the desktop kind not the portable kind. How many TB can I expect to get for 200 or less? What are good brands or bad ones?

A few months ago I dropped my Galaxy S4 phone while running and made a crack in the screen. The screen operated fine but for a small line going through it and a small opening on the bottom right near the 'return' button. Today I was washing the dishes and didn't notice water running down the counter covering my phone. Shortly thereafter the touchscreen wouldn't work. The visual display and seemingly everything else works fine but not the touchscreen. I took apart the phone and dried every component carefully so they are bone dry. But the touchscreen still doesn't work. I'm sure there is some small water inside the digitizer or behind the glass. But those are sandwiched together and in a casing. Without spending money on buying a new digitizer+glass how do I go about drying the inside?

The return and other button at the bottom work fine but not the home button. The connectors are also inside the digitizer+glass casing.

Please help.

Maybe turn it off an try using damprid for a day or so.
damprid.com

If you install a custom rom on an android device, can you still access the play store and run any app?

recommended reads to learn about cyber and web security?

If you install a GAPPs. A handful of apps like google pay might flag it as a security risk and refuse to run, but most are happy as long as you don't root.

Asking a final time on here before I give up on tor
Can I *safely* use tor on mobile data tethered to a laptop running tails?
I want to be able to use tor anywhere and on the go, but not if it means constantly giving out my location or what I'm browsing.
Any info at all would be helpful, or at least redirect me to a more helpful place.

How do I fix error 0xc0000007b that I get from trying to run a game?

This shit is infuriating, I reinstalled the C++ distributions, Net framework and their Direct X package

Uninstall/reinstall game, restart computer.

I bought a ups and made a thread about it a couple days ago, and was told that since it outputs a simulated sine wave it could interfere with active pfc on some power supplies . I tested it by yanking the power cable out , and it seems to have worked fine, is this a fluke ? or is this a sign that it should be fine with my computer ? I hooked it up via usb to the computer and everything seemed ok judging by this program. Will this damage my computer ?

I just switched to Waterfox and need some guidance for extensions.

Is it okay to download them straight from the Mozilla website?
Violentmonkey, Greasemonkey, or Tampermonkey?
Could someone provide me the default whitelist/matrix-off for uBO and uMatrix? Mine were overwritten from my importing.
Is there anything else I should install?

the only extension i have is ublock origin, and it works directly from mozillas addon site on waterfox. I would assume the same for others

is there someplace where i can shop for new laptops with no preinstalled OS? no point in paying extra for a laptop with windows preinstalled if i'm just gonna install linux over it

Brainlet here.
What do? Latest Virtual Box, latest release Windows 10 ISO. Tried everything, IDE controllers, PXIII and ICH9 chiplets.

Nah. Unless you're buying some bottom tier ebay shit, anything that discounts based on OS is already going to be so much more expensive that discounting the OS won't even break even.

how would it be more expensive if the hardware is the same?

>how would it be more expensive
>how

Economies of scale and shit. The best deals come from big companies, especially right now when ram and GPU prices are through the roof. The kind of place that sells OSless PCs will always cost hundreds more than a choice deal from the big boys.

>CD driver missing
>insert CD with driver on it
Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue.

But it mounts CD and HDD - no prob.

Recently firefox's start up has been very slow. It takes at least three minutes for a page to load once opened. I use chrome as well and there is no problem. Even edge has a much faster startup. What is the problem?

Make sure you're on the latest version of the browser, and do a refresh.

I don't really know what these do

My guess is that they're for gaming but I should turn them off for movie watching and such.

or should I just leave them off?

You're lying for (You)s

do you think there would be a large enough market for OSless PCs/laptops for big companies to jump onboard?

My father wants to get a Lenovo Yoga because "2 in 1s are the top low price laptops currently."

How do I stop him? Or do I let him be?

No, I am not. It's up to date. It's worth mentioning that it's only like that the first time I open it after switching on my pc. And I have only three add-ons active: IDM module, ublock, Avast Online Security and Video DownloadHelper.
It's up to date. I think I used to do refresh before but I will try next time.

>Avast Online Security

I decided to give friends and family two choices: If they want my help with stuff, I'll recommend things, and then make an effort to help them if they have problems. Or they can go do what they want, regardless of what I say, in which case they're on their own. Most of them pick option two, ask me to be their tech support anyway, and then I remind them of that conversation and refuse. It's gotten me out of a whole lot of shit work for ungrateful relatives.

let him buy his bullshit 2-in-1.

It's an almost insignificant part of the price. They pay a lot less than you would if you bought the OS yourself through official consumer channels. There's a longstanding relationship between OEMs and microsoft. It's probably even part of their arrangement that they get a certain discount overall for not offering any PCs without an OS.

On top of that they make money from bundling bloatware from companies that pay to include it, probably more than the OS even costs.

If you have a product with a feature that most people want, and that feature can instantly and effortlessly be removed, there's no market in providing the same product at the same price without that feature.

>three
four*
??? Should I disable it?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the Antivirus. Firefox has come far enough since quantum that you don't really need external security, and you'd probably benefit from it not fucking around in your certificates.

Cool. I will disable it then.

You'll need to download and install the following
Node.js - a framework for running a webserver. ( nodejs.org/en/download/ )
npm - (note this should come by default with Node.js) This is the node package manager and takes care of keeping your node.js files up to date.
isp complainer source code - you can download the source code from github. Just click the "clone or download" button near the top right just above all the files. Download the zip and extract everything.

Once all that is done, you'll have to open up a command prompt or terminal to use npm. I don't think it has a graphical interface. Make sure you've navigated to the folder containing the isp complainer source code by using the 'cd' command. When you're there you can enter 'npm install' and it will read one of the files in the source code which indicates all the other extra code this project uses to run and it will download and install them.

You now have everything you need to run the code, so you can do that with the command 'node server.js'.

Two config files need to be setup before this actually stats to tweet however. The first isn't included by default so you'll have to create it in the following location server/configs/twitter-api-config.js That's a fill named "twitter-api-config.js" in the server file in the configs file. You can copy and past the code on github or just rename the file twitter-api-config-template.js You'll have to include your API keys from twitter in this code in the designated spots for it to run properly. You generate these keys in your twitter account settings.

Next config file is named 'complaint-config.js' and it is also in the same config folder. Add you ISP's twitter handle, the speed you pay for, and a threshold value in the designated spots. The threshold value is the percentage below which a will cause a tweet to be generated. So a value of '80' means if you drop below 80% of your paid for speed a tweet will be sent.

That's it.

For gaming mouse would I need a cloth mouse pad or hard? My mouse is Razer Deathadder

thanks a lot.

Why would mouse pads matter? I'm using a cheap Wal-Mart mouse pad with a wrist rest and it's been working fine for me for well over a year.

I thought it mattered on what surface should I use on when it came to using high dpi mouse, that's why I'm asking

Mostly preference imo

What was the name of that site that allowed you to pay for a list of leaked passwords? (Vbulleting, etc)
It was Russian I think,

t.used comcast
t.got mc server
t.didnt get warned
???

Is it possible for me to convert a youtube livestream to an .m3u/.pls for use in my media player? I can get the stream's HLS m3u8 through youtube-dl just fine, but from there I'm a little lost. A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.

What's the difference between all of these desktop enviroments I hear about?. Mainly the ones anons mostly praise, xfce, KDE and Mate, but why? Im a noob concerning GNU/linux since i've only tried linux mint cinnamon and xubuntu but it didnt feel any different at all

Laptop just came back from having it's mobo changed (same manufacturer (hopefully)).

Should I keep my windows 10 installation without formatting or should I format and change back to windows 7?

They look different. They use different amounts of RAM and computing power, which some people care about. And they have varying amounts of customizability - some pretty much are what they are and others can have any piece you care about ripped out and replaced.

if you're a noob just try out all the big names and pick whichever one you like the best. when you're more experienced you can always switch to a different one if something about what you picked starts to bug you.

Can't remember the name pls help
It was something like passleak or leakpass or something

Rewording one of my questions.

>Violentmonkey, Greasemonkey, or Tampermonkey?
Which one should I decide to install on Waterfox?
Tampermonkey is out of the question as it anonymously sends minimal data via extension (on by default - can be switched "off").
Violentmonkey is opensource, but installing ccd0's fork of 4chanX has some issues with the server and the optional userscript, OneeChan, requires Greasemonkey. Does anyone else have this problem?
Greasemonkey. I have not tried it myself. Can anyone vouch for this?

Got a gtx670 about a month ago for cheap. Sometimes it stays around 81c at 100% load, other times it goes above 90c at 100% load. I got it to crash at 97c while running unigine Heaven with power set to 120%. Should I try to return it and get my money back? I already changed the paste and cleaner the cooler.

Inb4 poorfag, the 1060 i wanted hit $550usd last month.

The updated version of greasemonkey for firefox webextensions did some compatibility-breaking bullshit so userscripts would all have to be rewritten to work with it. I assume waterfox still uses old FF extensions and thus still uses the old version of greasemonkey, which should be fine.

Useless pajeets kys

I'll try it out in a bit. Thanks.

Is this a good deal?
I have built many PCs in the past, but my last was several years ago and is pretty outdated now. This seems like a solid deal, I was thinking about getting it and just swapping out its PSU with a 600W one and trying to get a second 1070 eventually when prices are cheaper. Considering how much 1070s are going for right now this seems like a decent deal.

bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-intel-optane-memory-epic-silver/6155310.p?skuId=6155310

SLI is more or less a meme these days. Only thing I'd add is an SSD.

does ad nauseum work with umatrix?

I have an SSD from previous build but I'd get a larger capacity one.

This is what my current system looks like. I know it's not that much of an upgrade, but there's no way I'm paying $800-900 for a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti

I also can't find pictures of the interior, so I have no idea how many SATA HDDs the motherboard supports of how many internal bays it has for HDDs, because I need at least 6.