Would replacing Win10 with Linux make my netbook faster?

Would replacing Win10 with Linux make my netbook faster?

with no ui debian? yes ofc

all it will do is drain your battery life more quickly

You mean GNU/Linux.

It depends on how many packages you're going to install

just use RemoteDesktop to connect to your pc. with netbooks, half the struggle is to install gnu/loonix on a machine 32gb ssd + 2gb ram. both fedora and ubuntu throw unexpected errors, it's a fukin lottery getting a user-friendly poormans experience. the soydevs all missed the classes on memory allocation.

Sure, some distros more so than others.

i have an really old laptop and have debian with xfce an win10 installed on it.
evry time i boot in win10 the fans start going crazy while on debian it just works.

Lubuntu is, as the name would suggest, a good lightweight distro for netbooks. It's also user-easy ubuntu land, which is a plus seeing as you're probably an inexperienced linux user.

Although I don't know what specific netbook you own, lubuntu runs very well on my 12 year old laptops, so I'm sure it will be fine for you.

yes, if kernel supports your hardware, xubuntu is the choice

Puppy Linux, Antix, SliTaz.... all of those either run from RAM or can be made to run from RAM, so it is basically as fast as a regular PC on a netbook

probably not but putting it on a plane will

Yes

install gentoo with distcc

nottru

Who is that lovely little semen demon?

packages number has nothing to do with speed, only with space

Usually. Depends on the distro and especially on which desktop you choose. Something like Ubuntu with Gnome or KDE will have a lot of bloat and be really resource intensive, so stay away from those if you have a small and/or really old battery. Q4OS is pretty good in my opinion and is extremely user friendly despite being a lesser known distro. It's based on Debian and uses a lightweight and better optimized version of KDE3 called the Trinity desktop. It feels a lot like Windows XP out of the box and can even run most win32 and a lot of 64-bit Windows programs using WINE and PlayOnLinux, both of which are available through a one click install in their software center.

Install TLP on your laptops, dumb nigger. That one simple package automatically handles 95% of the battery optimization for you. It usually adds 3-4 hours of battery life when I install it on my more modern laptops, and 1-2 hours on my Core2 toasters. How do you not know about TLP? Do you live under a rock? It's available on every distro I've ever tried.

Use Debian with JWM and use ublock Orgin. Then yes of course. Oh wait netbook. That's just shit. No hope for you.

Linux is a kernel

Your mother is also a kernel.

when I got my current netbook (asus vivobook 11") windows 10 said the battery would last 6 hours with nothing open, compared to the quoted battery life of 10
I didn't honestly bother actually checking whether windows' prediction was accurate before installing linux (manjaro xfce) but now I regularly get over 10 hours with a fair amount of shit open, including a browser
I usually have the display brightness really low though

Who is that lovely little semen monger?

oh and it starts up in like 5 seconds every time, compared to god knows how long with win10 even when it doesn't spend 30 minutes updating

Yup. Had an S205 that came with Windows 7, and was virtually unusable today.

Installed Xubuntu on it, it flies now.

has there ever been a more perfect little breeding birdy that hath been posted to g?

I have an old core2duo laptop from 2009 with Debian testing +i3 installed on it, and it boots about 30 %faster than my i7 kabylake desktop with 8gb of ram.
It also performs some things faster, though not most. But here we're talking about a drastic difference in hardware. With the same one, you should see incredible improvement. There's no single argument for using windows beside being too dumb to use anything that's not as easy, or absolutely needing some software only available for it.

>Puppy Linux
It runs as root by default, it's intended for troubleshooting and not every day use. You seriously need to stop trying to give advice about anything.

>netbook
Get the fuck out of 2018

>half the struggle is to install gnu/loonix on a machine 32gb ssd + 2gb ram.
Maybe if you use something bloated like Gnome.

w-who is this
very qt would marry

The log in screen on Gnome and on KDE uses a massive amount of CPU. It makes no sense as it only waits for input and updates a small clock but it really burns through the CPU.

This misfeature has been there for years but they do not fix it. Both Gnome and KDE went off into the weeds a long time ago.

If it's so great, why isn't it installed by default?