Convince me why I shouldn't use Firefox

I use Arch with OpenBox or i3wm and Xubuntu. If not Firefox, which browser should I use and why?

just use whatever works for you

That's why I've used Firefox for the last decade.

I honestly just want to hear reasons as to why people that use GNU/Linux use different browsers.

Thanks for being cool man. I just started using Sup Forums after like 5 years and being an oldfag I'm used to the edgy shit.

Pic Unrelated; Current Wallpaper

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any browser that sucks less than Firefox.

you should

I use chrome because they already have all my data.

Use whatever works for you and stop getting all of your opinions from other people.

Firefox just werks tho nothing wrong with it at all besides Mozilla going full SJW.

well, i switch regularly depending on my whims. but generally speaking i don't really think there's any reason to prefer Waterfox/Palemoon to mainstream FF, at least. unless you really need old addons.

i personally settled on Chromium but mostly because Mozilla still hasn't fixed their damn vsync algorithm and it bugs me to hell. it's a trivial thing, but i'm autistic about it.

FF still has the greatest middle ground between customization and speed. Mozilla may be SJW cucks but so far it hasn't destroyed the browser itself. until then i don't really see a reason to stop using it unless you really want to make a personal political statement for your own self-satisfaction, or you lost some of the addons you used in the transition to Quantum.

Their tracking protection is breddy gud. For some reason, it manages to block the ads here in Sup Forums without the use of any extensions.

Firefox quantum just werks on my linux machines tbhonest. It's the best you can get mostly on older machines where anything chromium lags like shit.

If you wanna try something else I'd recommend midori. It's very lightweight and ex-treme-ly fast. Unfortunately it crashes sometimes (as in the program just closes when it gets a tough request). Extension support isn't great ofcourse but in fact it provides all necessities like a js blocker which is actually pretty cool.

GNU IceCat would be great if it wasn't buggy and JavaScript worked

IceCat is actually the best browser out there after normal firefox. It basically fixes about:config for you and installs a bunch of useful privacy addons. Downside is it's buggy with web 2.0 javascripty websites and slow like fx used to be before quantum.

what are essential firefox addons apart from greasemonkey and ublock origin?

I use Arch btw

uMatrix
It literally makes pages load thrice as quick cus your poor CPU doesn't have to load 20 tracking scrips every time you open a web page.
You can manage every domain for every site seperately so it's up to you if you just block the blacklisted ad sites blocked by default or block all js and turn it on when you need it or however you prever it.

I use Firefox because I’m angry at Google for deleting my account

dillo

More of a personal choice and not a necessity but Stylus for being that edgy kid that prefers only dark themes on websites.

ungoogled chromium
+uMatrix
+uBlock
Disable WebGL
Disable Javascript

agreed, can't wait for the May update

>tried to build it twice now and it craps out at the very last minute with no useful error messages
T-thanks

I wish they would provide a bin on the AUR...

Eh, lately it seems like I've been using Xubuntu more. Just posting what I use. Bragging about Arch is autistic desu. It's not hard to use.

Completely turning off javascript isnt viable for many sites. Thats what umatrix and ublock are for. You can fine tune it on each site and each script.

I've never tried it, I'll have to give it a go.

What makes it worth downloading compared to Firefox?

i would wait until May since Icecat is slow atm since it's still stuck on 52. in May it updates to the new ESR and will get Quantum.

otherwise it's basically just regular FF but with all the privacy stuff tweaked for you in the about:config as well as a few freedom extensions.

Then turn on Javascript on sites where you need the Javascript to work (you can't do this in Firefox without turning JS off entirely)

It basically fixes the configuration for you. Normal firefox leaks a lot of data to mozilla and google and mozilla tends to sneak in shady 'features' nowadays. So yeah, mostly privacy related reasons.

I'm not necessarily recommending it at this point tho as it's a few firefox versions behind so a lot slower. But it has by far the most user friendly attitude and as soon as it's based on the newer fx I'll switch back to it as it takes care of a lot of configuration I find necessary to make fx usable.

Chromium, because it's faster than FF and let's be honest - in this time and age we can't escape being bytes of a database anymore.
May as well settle for the middleground of "works well" and "not ultra botnetted" (chrome, brave, ie, edge, ...)

If you continue to use Firefox you will never become a cute girl.

Dangerous attitude. Chromium is a horrible botnet that's way too easy to avoid to just settle with it.

Also since Firefox Quantum, it depends mostly on your machine if Chromium or Firefox is faster.

you know, i've tried to like midori..
Give me ANY non-sht browser and i'll gladly jump off chromium.

it's not too bad if you turn off webrtc and syncing, both of which are easy to do during the building process, and there are preset binaries that already do this for you on both Linux and Windows.

I dunno if any browser would be worth the botnet it would be Opera I guess

But yeah I can't give you a non-shit browser as all of them including chromium are a bloated pain in the ass. I'm lucky Firefox quantum works like a charm on my machine but guess it doesn't on yours. Let's hope for better times.

and within your reply lies my reason.
i'm already within google's database, so why jump to yet another source of gathering?

>chromium-based browsers
This is in regards to ublock origin. There's a lot more it can't do compared to the competition.

because Waterfox is everything you wanted Firefox to be

Thats some retarded reasoning being as google collects way more data that cant be disabled at all.

Slower and more CPU heavy?

I dont want it to be slow though

Qutebrowser.

It's completely keyboard based.

i use it for convenience too. i also use play services on my Android devices.
Now before you jump the gun let me explain from a realistically standpoint as to why. Let's say i use my NAS and sync everything (contacts, bookmarks, etc) from there - sounds good (apart from the fact that i have to use a vpn to connect to my NAS outsidy my network).
Now there's another player, the ISP.
i'm relly not a google liking idiot, i'm just being relistic at this point. it isn't the 90's internet anymore. You can't fucking hide.

OP here, what is everything I want Firefox to be?

Seems like you have an answer.

Firefox can be configured to not datamine you at all, so you'll trade being in one database for no database at all. That's why people here encourage you to use it.

btw it's not that I don't understand your situation. you just shouldn't recommend frickin chromium just because you decided to stick with it against your will.

You can also use mouse and it's based on webkit so you won't be outdated.

see

Since you use i3, you want qutebrowser.

>I don't get rid of botnet 1 cus there will still be botnet 2
again, dangerous attitude. every botnet avoided is one botnet less to be involved in. you have to start somewhere. the biggest problem nowadays is that people see an endless pile of botnettery they can't escape, while you can in fact get rid of 95% of the dataming while barely giving up any convenience. you don't have to be stallman tier paranoid to not get raped in the ass all day

that's why i prefer FOSS, Linux and others. But also i hateit my utilities run like absolute garbage (sorry, firefox) or are basically preaching one thing and basically being someone's bitch anyway (again, sorry firefox)
Believe me, i'm 24/7 depressed about this at this point and unless we get a modular browser (meaning a sleek fast basis) with enough modules to extend to your needs, i don't see any reason to lie to myself it makes any difference then bluffing myself.

for me chromium is really a botnet bridge too far but oh well, let's just all pray for a browser that isn't utter shit

palemoon

seamonkey comfy masterrace reportin

It's using QtWebEngine by default which is based on Chromium - it can use QtWebKit too, though.

can totally understand that, user.

>5 years
>oldfag
Lmao someone post that chart. you're no where near oldfag status kid

I don't see what's edgy with that.

Firefox is botnet now too and Waterfox or GNU/IceCat exist

It takes literally 5 minutes to disable the botnet in your about:config. And that's paranoia level. For most normal people they only need to disable telemetry, safe browsing, and enable fingerprint protection. There is no reason to use Waterfox when it's both slower and harder on CPU.

>"disable" the botnet

why the fuck does firefox not have the minimize/maximize buttons part of the tab bar on linux? seeing the bloated title bar in gnome makes me so frustrated

>mozilla are sjw's who fired brendan eich
>mozilla is run by women & feminists
>firefox is a botnet that collect's big data
>firefox target audience are bi-curious men
these are the most common reasons i hear people state on Sup Forums, as reasons why they ditched firefox in favor of chromium

I wonder if those people do extensive background checks of every person who contributed code to make sure their political views align with their own. I mean, regardless of how good a software is, you wouldn't want to use it if a previous developer that contributed a patch in 2005 wrote "fuck trump" on their Twitter, would you?

k

Waterfox is a more efficient Firefox without all the controversial changes.

My usage used to eat up 28gb ram on Firefox and in waterfox it floats under 2gb. All the addons work seamlessly.

It's literally Firefox ESR with some changes in configure flags and about:config

I think QupZilla is the latest meme, and I just tried it for the first time tonight and it's bretty gud.

you can disable the librejs extension and it works fine