I am excited for this

I am excited for this

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Aren't you?

Sadly i depend a lot on Whatsapp, but still, i might make the jump when this releases.

What's Sup Forums shitty opinion on this?

I haven't heard of it until now but it seems interesting.

However it is quite expensive and those are some big bezels..

It is a portable linux box! That works as a phone. I can not literally think on anything better.

I almost buy a S7 active, but i will stick to my moto e4 plus for this year until i see this first. I'm already sold on linux and physical switches and no-botnet, but honestly, if it has a shitty battery life i will pass.

too expensive.

Does not run Google Android
Does not run Apple iOS
Runs PureOS by default, can run most GNU+Linux distributions
World’s first ever IP-native mobile handset
End-to-end encrypted decentralized communications via Matrix
5 screen
Security focused by design
Privacy protection by default
Works with 2G/3G/4G, GSM, UMTS, and LTE networks
CPU separate from Baseband
[b]Hardware Kill Switches for Camera,
Microphone, WiFi/Bluetooth, and Baseband[/b]

Reminder that Purism is going for freedom all the way on its devices (Libreboot and beyond), while also keeping their shit up to date (not refurbished decade+ old memepads)

Not excited. Around $400 too expensive.

Seems like it is for people with too much money, same as that fairphone thing.

Well... i'm all for open source software and hardware, and have money to spend on a (hopefully) good, phone so i will put it where my mouth is.

I mean, what else can i do. Complain in social media?

Eh, as you prefer, but I feel like Gentoo.org or other actually effective entitied might do more with $500 (already gave it $100 for more customized software over a corresponding $100 chinkphone that actually already has a lot of customization).

Seems like a really great idea. They surpassed their funding goals by a lot. Hopefully it lives up to (or surpasses) the intended purposes and functionality.

This is a very much needed progress on the smart phone category. I'm tired of Google and Apple holding my information and privacy hostage just to be able to function in modern society.

you know android is a linux distro, right user?

A locked down, almost proprietary one, sure.
Go ahead and install Debian or some other distro on your phone. No I don't mean in some container on top of Android. I mean wipe android off the internal storage and install the OS that way. Can you do that? Do android phones allow you to have that freedom? Also, show me the source code for the Google play store, which could be considered the "repository" for this distro. Can't show it? It's proprietary? well then.....

>Hopefully it lives up to (or surpasses) the intended purposes and functionality.
I'm going to guess it is just going to be the next very underwhelming project.

Feels like it'd have been much likelier to succeed (and generally become something the FOSS ecosystem can and will reuse) had they just fixed up hardware to use open firmware and put a better UI and fixes into AOSP and f-droid or such.

>depend a lot on Whatsapp
Just tell your family to move to Wire/Signal

>AOSP
No, android isn't good enough.

>No, android isn't good enough.
T H I S
H
I
S

I have to agree with you

> No, android isn't good enough.
It actually generally is.

Feels like addressing the remaining flaws like the closed firmware in a good way would be more effective and have smaller risks than the NOT INVENTED HERE mode and doing everything from a base that already has been tried and failed multiple times.

How much are they paying you to shill this overpriced, mediocre hipster kikestarter shit that is probably full to the brim with nonfree firmware blobs and will have absolutely no semblance of a native application base on release?

GNU/Linux is not meant for Facebook toys.

>If you show interest in a product, you're a shill

Didn't Sailfish more-or-less beat them in this race?

Literally who?

The second post I quoted is literally just useless bullet points from marketing literature and has fucking BBCode in it like he copy pasted it from a template, other posts look more like advertisements than genuinely excited prospective buyers.

I really would not be surprised at all if they occasionally tried to spin some marketing over here, this place is full to the brim with the kinds of morons who would pay out the ass for a pretentious fashion accessory.

Well that's a fact. Guerilla marketing is real.

seems pretty nice.
expensive though.

> Literally who?
Literally the state of neo/g/

Wake me up when Librem has official support from a major OEM (hint: Sony Xperia X) as an official replacement operating system.

I'm not saying Sailfish is big - but it exists at least, unlike Librem phone.

Sadly it would be difficult for a major OEM to support this device given it doesn't allow for them to keep their own software and applications on it, at least in the capacity they'd prefer to, considering its open-sourced nature. I hope it takes off, but I have my doubts.

Not a shill.. I actually was trying to use bold as in the tinychat text boards. But it didnt work.

Come on, is that is NOT POSSIBLE to be excited about something? Can you only be interested in Apple shit?

Actually nothing. I just want a well built linux phone with no fucking botnet. Let's see how this goes. There is one year to be excited / dissapointed before actually seeing the stuff.

Some small dedicated freedom company would never bother paying internet shills dumbfuck. If you want to see shills on Sup Forums go find a windows 10 or apple thread.

I'm looking forward to it to prove or disprove once and for all if Gnome + Wayland is a good platform for a touch screen device

If the Purism + Gnome + Wayland fails (which is something I don't want but I think is the most probably outcome) due to deep inefficiencies and design flaws in GTK + Gnome + Wayland then we can finally, without a shred of doubt, yell to the Gnome and Wayland fags to fuck off and stop ruining GNU/Linux. Then we can keep using Xorg and switch to propers DEs like Xfce, KDE, etc.

I don't see how Purism Phone can succeed. Fucking Gnome Shell on Wayland is a bloated hog, that drains RAM and battery, crashes and the mouse pointers lags in extremely powerful desktop computers. I don't see how this is going to work in an underpowered little ARM device.

This is going to be a bigger fiasco that Firefox OS.

>they should't have chose gnome as the primary platform

I still believe that based Jolla will save us.

>$20,000
>for 10 phones and 10 monitors
What the literal fuck

They're a kikestarter vaporware vendor that pretty much runs on marketing alone, it wouldn't take much on their part to send a couple "evangelists" our way to push their garbage. This shit happens all the time.

>They're a kikestarter vaporware vendor
They're shipping hardware. You can buy one of their laptops right now. That doesn't sound like vaporware to me.

Can't wait to install gentoo on my phone.

yes they do, distro makers just dont support the hardware.

:(

I also worried about battery life, but this might be something that will improve with patches.

I would be if it wasn't extremely overpriced.

Bump

You'd have to be either crazy or running some kinda weird business to even want that.

Have they confirmed they're using the better cpu yet? I was holding out on preordering till they did.